Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #81
Mad Swapper

I adore my Big Shot!!! It has everything I have ever wanted in a DC machine.
I love being able to dry emboss. I really love the color, too! I have the BISK & the MMP which makes it the best thing since sliced bread!!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #82
Crimping Master

I have used both and I went with the Big Shot. Although both are compatable and do the same thing the CB seemed wabbly and lighter where as the Big Shot is heavier and more durable. I posted a comparison on my blog if anyone is interested....the link is below. By the way.....LOVE my Big Shot! I use it all the time with every die Big Shot, Sizzix, Quickutz, Cuttlebug (dies and embossing folders)...and I am patiently waiting for the Sizzix BIGz to go on sale.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-uXKTp...wANnLxbl?p=472
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #83
Stazon Splitcoast

I LOVE my Cuttlebug! I love that it's small and portable. I have some wrist problems, but have not noticed any problems with using the Bug. I love that it's cheaper and more available locally. I haven't had any problems with my Bug at all. I think it all comes down to a price difference and a space difference. The fact that I can fold it up and put it away if I need to is important to me.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #84
Die Cut Diva

The small size of the CB and that it folds up was really important, but the great price topped it off.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #85
Mad Swapper

I loved that the Big Shot came with dies and embossing folders so I could play right away! I like that it is stable! I also love all the many different brands of dies that can be used in it. I chose it because Ellison also makes the Sizzix which was my first die cut machine. They also make the ones used in most schools so that did carry some weight in my decision.As did Julie HRR, in the things she said about it! You'll love which ever one you choose! It has really been fun learning and sharing my knowlegde about this new crafting tool!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #86
spv
Rubber Obsessor

I just ordered the Big Kick (it comes next week...yeah). I tried the Big Shot a while back and LOVED it! I said that would be the machine I would get to replace my Sizzix if it ever breaks (lucky me, I got to order the BK with the my Sizzix machine still working). Well I went with the BK over the BS because of the color and from what I read and heard it is the same as the BS. I have been completely happy with my Sizzix so I am confident it will be a great machine. I have picked up some Cuttlebug stuff that I have tried in my Sizzix and Sidekick with great success and can't wait to put this machine to work...
Old 01-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #87
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Big Shot and it is now my favorite toy. I would have bought the Cuttlebug if I had been available for purchase at the time I bought my Big Shot (just because I could have used a coupon). But now I am so glad that it wasn't available. I love the big platform and the steadiness of the machine. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I do prefer the cuttlebug embossing folders over the Ellison ones though. The cuttlebug folders produce much deeper impressions than the ones Ellison sells. But other than that, the Big Shot is the bomb!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #88
Kookie Creator

I am deciding myself right now as to what one I should buy. I have NO room, so the CB's small footprint sounds good, but I like the fact that the BS starter kit is at Joann's for the same price right now as the CB.....89$.

Just how many days until vacation?Who'da thunk 18 Kindergarteners would be this tiring!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #89
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I have kind of a silly question for the Big Shot owners. I haven't seen this machine in person, only online. Would you say that the color is more like Cool Caribbean or Tempting Turquoise? Or is it closer to some other color?

I think I'm the only person on SCS who doesn't like the green of the Cuttlebug.

From what I've been reading, I think I'd prefer either the Big Shot or the Big Kick, but I'd probably have to order either of those. I could get the Cuttlebug with a coupon pretty easily. So I'm trying to decide whether I should go with which is more affordable and more easily attainable, or which seems sturdier (and is a color I don't mind looking at, lol).
Old 01-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #90
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessprplfrog
I am deciding myself right now as to what one I should buy. I have NO room, so the CB's small footprint sounds good, but I like the fact that the BS starter kit is at Joann's for the same price right now as the CB.....89$.
The Cuttlebug definitely is compact for storage but I don't ever plan on putting my Big Shot away! I use it almost every day and I just love it more than anything I own. I bought the Sizzix 2 or 3 years ago and used it twice. The Big Shot I use daily! I am really crazy about this product and have ordered all the embossing plates as well as the new Multipurpose Platform that they just came out with. Costco.com was selling the Big Shot for around $55 a few weeks ago but I see that it isn't available online anymore. I almost bought another one because it was such a good deal!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #91
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessprplfrog
But Joann's stores have a 50% off coupon this week--making the CB $45 at Joann's or $40 at Michaels (mine takes Joann's coupons). For that extra $50, you can buy a bunch of CB folders. (They won't take coupons for Cuttlebug online.)

Just trying to complicate the issue.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #92
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VA
I have kind of a silly question for the Big Shot owners. I haven't seen this machine in person, only online. Would you say that the color is more like Cool Caribbean or Tempting Turquoise? Or is it closer to some other color?

From what I've been reading, I think I'd prefer either the Big Shot or the Big Kick, but I'd probably have to order either of those. I could get the Cuttlebug with a coupon pretty easily. So I'm trying to decide whether I should go with which is more affordable and more easily attainable, or which seems sturdier (and is a color I don't mind looking at, lol).
OK, I got out my color wheel. It is the family of Tempting Turquoise, but if you were looking at paint chips, it is a deeper hue. (I don't know my art words anymore...) It is trimmed in black. Probably less noticeable in a room than the red and white Big Kick...
Old 01-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #93
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuAnn
I have a Big Shot and it is now my favorite toy. I would have bought the Cuttlebug if I had been available for purchase at the time I bought my Big Shot (just because I could have used a coupon). But now I am so glad that it wasn't available. I love the big platform and the steadiness of the machine. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I do prefer the cuttlebug embossing folders over the Ellison ones though. The cuttlebug folders produce much deeper impressions than the ones Ellison sells. But other than that, the Big Shot is the bomb!
I totally agree. I can speak from experience since I've owned and used both and returned the Cuttlebug after the handle and the B plates broke. The Big Shot is more solid and sturdy. I do like the bigger platform, too and feel that is more of an advantage than the spacesaver factor of the Cuttlebug. My Big Shot gets used daily and I haven't had a moment's trouble with it. I flip my cutting plates over each time I use them and there's no indication yet that they have been maxed out and need to be replaced. They have held up much better than the Cuttlebug plates.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #94
Mad Swapper

SuAnn:
Have you tired lightly misting the paper or cardstock with water before you use the texture plate? I also need to use an extra cardboard shim and I get great results with the texture plates. I even just ordered a third set of Fiskar texture plates from Oriental trading. I will get them on Monday.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #95
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by leney
SuAnn:
Have you tired lightly misting the paper or cardstock with water before you use the texture plate? I also need to use an extra cardboard shim and I get great results with the texture plates. I even just ordered a third set of Fiskar texture plates from Oriental trading. I will get them on Monday.
Helene,

No, I haven't tried misting yet but I do remember someone mentioning that on one of the threads. I will try that as well as a cardboard shim.

I had no idea that Orental Trading carried Fiskar texture plates. I have 2 sets already - didn't know they made a third set so I will have to check them out! Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyinfrisco
I totally agree. I can speak from experience since I've owned and used both and returned the Cuttlebug after the handle and the B plates broke. The Big Shot is more solid and sturdy. I do like the bigger platform, too and feel that is more of an advantage than the spacesaver factor of the Cuttlebug. My Big Shot gets used daily and I haven't had a moment's trouble with it. I flip my cutting plates over each time I use them and there's no indication yet that they have been maxed out and need to be replaced. They have held up much better than the Cuttlebug plates.
The Big Shot Machine is sturdier, but the Cuttlebug accessories are so much cuter!! Too bad they made this all so confusing for us.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #97
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
The Big Shot Machine is sturdier, but the Cuttlebug accessories are so much cuter!! Too bad they made this all so confusing for us.
The Ellison website offers such a variety of accessories for the Big Shot; however, they are pricey. I have had much success using the Cuttlebug accessories so I have had plenty of cute stuff to play with. I am so glad they are cross compatible.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #98
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VA

It is more in the Tempting Turquios and Taken with Teal family. IMHO....the Big Shot is sturdier because the platform base is lower, wider and a longer. The CB platform base is higher up which can cause it to tip (and that has happened to me when the suction footing looses it's grip). I have Big Shot, Sizzix, Quickuts and Cuttlebug dies and folders that I use in the Big Shot and have never had any probs with compatability.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #99
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
I thought you can use Cuttlebug with Big Shot Sorry for being really clueless about it.. I just got a BS for Christmas and haven't really played with it yet.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #100
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
I thought you can use Cuttlebug with Big Shot Sorry for being really clueless about it.. I just got a BS for Christmas and haven't really played with it yet.
Yes, you can use all the Cuttlebug folders and dies with the Big Shot. I use my embossing folders all the time (they are awesome).
Old 01-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #101
Die Cut Diva

Not at all fond of the green either, but the price and the size and the availability of really cute accessories sold me.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #102
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I meant confusing in that you have to learn about how to make it all work together, as opposed to it all being one set. The Cuttlebug things work GREAT in the Big Shot....The multipurpose platform, makes all of the questions melt away, as it has the sandwich details right on it.... Be sure to get one of those!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #103
Mad Swapper

Karen, do you have the BISK? I have it and the MPP and I still need to use a cardboard shim when I use the Ellison & Fiskar texture plates. Just wondering if I am the only one!?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #104
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I am waiting upon my BISK and am somewhat concerned about having to do too much experimentation to make things work. Julie HRR makes it sound like you add a shim and it is fine. And, I have seen some lovely things in the gallery. So for now I am hopeful.
Do you get good results with your shim creation? If not, then I am getting worried..
Old 01-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #105
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm still not happy with my BISK (in my Cuttlebug). I'm spoiled by the ease of the CB embossing folders. My BISK is just irritating right now. So I'm putting it aside for a few days, hoping I will like it better. Or I'll sell it/trade it away.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #106
Crimping Master

WOW! I'm getting so confused! I own the "old" Sizzix machine (red with lever handle). I really like it. But I would like to be able to use dies from other manufacturers.

I have been to crops where someone brought a Big Shot. She let us use it. We used Sizzlits, the old Sixxiz dies, even Quick cuts. You just had to change the platform thickness. Seems kind of cumbersome to have ALL those pieces.

I thought the Big Shot and the new Sizzix machine were both made by Ellison. I don't understand the difference. Is the Big Shot made for crops and store use (commercial)?

I have the Sizzix Sidekick and don't really like it. But at our crops there's someone who breaks it out everytime and has TONS of alphabets and whips them out so fast. It is much lighter and portable, but you can only use the Sizzlits. Does anyone know if you could use Quick Cuts in the Sidekick?

If I were going to buy another die cut machine I'd get the Big Shot, only because I've seen it in use. Never seen the Cuttlebug used.

Tish
Old 01-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #107
Mad Swapper

Karen, I get great results by adding the cardboard shim. Try it, you'll like it!!
Tish, I have the old Sizzix, too! I also have the Sidekick. Before DH got me the Big Shot I was able to use the Sizzix and the Convertor with CB embossing folders and they worked just great. I can also use the 2X2 CB embossing folders in the Sidekick. I think I even used the 2X2 dies in the Sidekick but I know they worked in the Sizzix with the Convertor. Just decide what you want to use the die machine for and then you'll be able to make a decision about it.
I asked for the Big Shot because I like the look of it. Ellison has been in the die machine business for a long time. Provo Craft is a new comer. Ellison bought Provo Craft's interest in Sizzix. I also love the color of the Big Shot. I love that it can be used with other companies dies and with the BISK I can use my brass templates and texture plates. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #108
Band Mom

Another question...

Are the Big Shot and the Big Kick basically the same, with the only real differences being 1) the color scheme and 2) one has the Ellison name and the other has the Sizzix name?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #109
Mad Swapper

PH in VA, you got it exactly right! The color is really the only difference. Ellison manufactures the Sixxiz and Ellison Design manufactures the Big Shot!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #110
Die Cut Diva

Here's a question for the embossing folder users...I just tried Vellum in the embossing folder and the paper cracked under the pressure...soooo, has anyone tried Vellum?...is it not usable for die cuts or embossing folders? Thx!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #111
Mad Swapper

I have used vellum but it is the cardstock weight. I think that is what made the difference in mine not cracking or cutting it! I did get a defective snowflakes folder that cut through the cardstock when I used it. Once I got it replaced I didn't have that problem any more.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #112
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have used vellum but it is the cardstock weight. I think that is what made the difference in mine not cracking or cutting it! I did get a defective snowflakes folder that cut through the cardstock when I used it. Once I got it replaced I didn't have that problem any more.
Thanks! I'll try that...don't think I've ever seen (or noticed) vellum that is cardstock thick!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #113
Mad Swapper

SU carries it! It is # 101856 8 1/2" X11" on page 204 for $6.50. I love this stuff!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #114
Band Mom

OK, next question... (sometimes I'm full of them)

Where is the Big Kick sold, other than Sizzix.com and eBay? I've noticed that its starter kit includes a multipurpose platform.

Y'all really have me leaning toward either the Big Shot or the Big Kick vs. the Cuttlebug. I guess I need to take a good closer look at the dies included in the respective starter kits to determine whether I prefer the Big Shot ones or the Big Kick ones.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #115
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

SU carries it! It is # 101856 8 1/2" X11" on page 204 for $6.50. I love this stuff!
Thanks again...I hadn't noticed!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #116
Mad Swapper

www.Target.com has the Big Shot and few die kits. I think QVC has the Big Kick. Good luck, with what you decide!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #117
Pearl-ExPert

Default Cuttlebug or Big Shot?

Okay ladies, I am coming to the experts for help. I am seeing so many super cards lately that have die cuts and beautiful embossing. I know that the cuttlebug seems to be the big fad right now. I didn't even know what it was until I went to the Joanne's site...I also read up on the Big Shot.

I am still in the dark. So, what are the differences? What are the pros/cons of each? Which one do I need? I am more interested in embossing at this point, but who knows.

Any advice?
Colleen

Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #118
Die Cut Diva

I actually had both and took the cuttlebug back. I like the feel of the Big Shot, seemed a little more sturdier to me. Check out JulieHRR's blog though, she has a lot of great info on both. I now have all the extra stuff for the big shot also like the Big Impressions Starter kit and some of the die's from Ellison and Sizzix as well as a LOT of Cuttlebug folders and die cuts. I just love my Big Shot, it's my first die cut machine ever!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #119
Stampin' Fool

I decided to go with the Big Shot because of it's more sturdy base. I really only want it for embossing to use my Fiskars plates and the Cuttlebug ones. I have a Wishblade, so I don't need a die-cutter really.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #120
Mad Swapper

I too went with big shot as I heard stories of the bug breaking. The Cuttlebug does fold up so if space is a problem for you you may want to go that route. For me space was not an issue and I personally feel the BS is sturdier. You can pretty much use any company's die and embossing folders with both machine. I love running my Quickutz through my Big Shot. It's SO much easier than the Quickutz handle. My 2 cents...HTH

SAHM and SU! Demo