Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuttlebug or Sizzix--which one is better??

Help! :? Which is better--the Cuttlebug or Sizzix? I hear both are great, but I am confused. Which one is a better investment, or are they about the same? Plus, what about the accessories--is one a better price in the long run over the other? I want to get one, but not sure which would be better for me. Can anyone help me with these questions? :confused: Thanks for any advice anyone has to give.
Leann
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

It depends on what you want to do, really. I have a Cuttlebug, and I love it. It can take all the Sizzix dies except the XL and larger, unless you alter the extended cutting pads, which are extra. If I had it to do over again, I think I would get a Big SHot, because it can do all the CB stuff, plus all the Sizzix stuff, except for the newest Big Shot Pro. Someone will correct me if I am wrong...LOL...If you go to sizzix.com and look at their outlet sales, they have great bundle deals, on machines packages, and tons of the dies and accessories. Lots of people buy their dies there because it is usually cheaper than using coupons at a regular store.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have had both the CB and the Big Shot - I kept the big shot, mostly just because I liked the stability of it a little better. The cuddlebug was great as well though, and is much more portable if you ever plan on traveling to crops, etc with it. As Eaparham already mentioned, there may be a few of the larger sizzix dies that won't work in the CB, but for the most part the dies are all interchangable. If none of those things are important, I'd just shop for the best price!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 05:17 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can purchase the machine in a store with a coupon, I would go with a product of Sizzix...either the BIGkick or BigShot over the Cuttlebug. Sizzix products are made of a stronger material and can accommodate any of the die cutting or embossing products on the market. For a few dollars more than the Cuttlebug, I believe it's worth it.

I did see on HSN a newer version of the Cuttlebug. Not having seen it in person, I would still go with the Sizzix products purchased at a store rather than over the internet. Why pay shipping and have to wait if not necessary?

Beware....I am not seeing some coupons that also are excluding Sizzix products from the coupon use. Check the fine print.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Thanks Eaparham, Joan and Patti for all the good information and advice. I have some research to do, as I was not aware of the Bigkick or Bigshot. I just bought a Cricut about three months ago, and only used it twice. I just bought two new carts. for it, so hopefully I will get to use it more. But, next on my wish list was a CB or Sizzix, but like I said--I am confused. And now, I found out I have more choices!!! My husband just finished making a craft room for me, so now I have lots of space to store/use my stuff, I just need to figure out which one I want. I will have to start price comparing all the different machines, and go from there. Everyone is so nice, and I welcome any more info/advice on this, as I need to tell Santa which machine to put under the Christmas tree. If I don't decide soon, I may find a new pack of socks and a pair of PJ's!!!! (Santa does better with a list!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Although I prefer the Big Kick/Big Shot, to be fair to the CB, it DOES accommodate all the dies a BK/BS can accommodate.

This past summer, Provo Craft released longer cutting plates that will cover the Sizzix BigzXL dies. There's no longer any need to trim/sand the Sizzix extended cutting plates, have plates cut at Home Depot, or any of the other jury-rigging that used to be necessary to use the BigzXL dies in a CB.

It's the Sizzix cutting plates that don't fit through a CB (they're a smidge too wide). The dies fit just fine, and now that PC makes extended cutting plates that go through a CB, all's good.

For those who have a CB and want to use the BigzXL dies -- and really can't justify a new machine -- just get the CB extended cutting plates. You do not need the extended A & C plates for the BigzL and BigzXL dies. You just need the extended cutting plates (the B plates, sold in pairs).

For those looking for their first machine, I'd go with a BK or BS. The BK seems more widely available (both on the web and at local stores) and, last I knew, you could still use a 50% coupon for them at J's or M's. (M's will take J's coupons; not sure if the reverse is true.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I'm so glad that I found this thread! I am getting a Big Shot for Christmas and today saw the Cuttlebug and came on here to look for what the differences were between the two. I think I am happy going with the Big Shot.

I do have a question though. What is the difference between the Big Kick and the Big Shot? My local stores carry the Big Kick and the Big Shot will have to be ordered. I like the look of the Big Shot much better but I know there has to be more of a difference than just that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

It is my understanding that the BigShot and the BigKick have the same internal mechanisms just a different appearance on the outside.

I think at one point Ellison made the Bigshot and Sizzix made the BigKick and one company bought the other and they became the same company. Now I think Sizzix is owned by Wilton Industries . Please Correct me if I have the wrong information on any of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think it comes down to preference, I have both, and I truly like the cuttlebug better, I can use all the dies from all companies in both, but just like the cuttlebug better! You will be happy either way you go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a CB but have used a big shot at workshops many times.....I think you would be happy with either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd like to suggest going to You Tube and watching a couple videos of both machines in use. That's what I did before I decided on the Big Shot versus the Cuttlebug. Most of the videos I saw, the Cuttlebug appeared to be more tippy and had to be held on to quite tightly when rolling the handle. The Big Shot is bigger and takes up more real estate on your table but I like that it is sturdy and does not feel tippy. I can use it with one hand and don't have to hold it in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

I will take your suggestion Iharnish, and watch a couple of You Tube programs on both machines. It is so nice to have other people give you their honest opinions, and personal experience with some of the tools out there. I finally got to pop in today, and see if anyone else had any advice on this subject. I did check out some machines yesterday at the local Michael's, but they only had one of the CB and one of the sizzix.
I really value everyones input, and I am sure a lot of people will appreciate all the advice, as much as I do. The Big Shot sounds like something I am looking for, something sturdy that won't move around when I am trying to use it. I wanted to ask Southergal410 how she ended up deciding on the Bigshot for Christmas?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the bigshot and I love it!!! It is heavy so not very good for traveling, but since I do all my work at home, that didn't matter to me. I keep it out on my cabinet and so I use it much more then when it was stored away.

I used a CB once and it is nice and small and folds up, but it does seem "flimsy" as compared to the bigshot.

I used a bigkick once and didn't like it. It may be the same as a bigshot, but I just can't get over the look of the bigkick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I have both. The Cuttlebug is supposed to be on a flat surface to use the suction that holds it in place. I like the Big Shot better because I can use it anywhere, even on my carpeted floor. I don't have a lot of space to work and the Big Shot is more adaptable to different places to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I think that both machines are great but the Big Kick/Big Shot is just sturdier and more stable. It all depends on your space requirements and whether you will be taking it with you to crops. The Cuttlebug is definitely more portable and smaller. Both do a great job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Really appreciate all the commentary. I have been looking into all of these machines and have been really confused. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I have both as well. I have always liked the Big Kick but it's not what you would call portable. I bought the Cuttlebug because I can store it under my desk, pull it out when I need it and then tuck it back away. I have a Sizzix Sidekick that I still pull out and use for smaller dies because it's easier on my wrists (it's lighter!) but I tend to pull the CB out for the wider ones now. And occasionally I still use the Big Kick. How's that for being no help at all? I will say the CB does a better job on the embossing folders. The BK does them but sometimes I think it applies just a tad too much pressure. The CB tends to make much better embossing impressions.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes