Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #3721
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I have Cuttlebug, Quickutz, Sizzix,Crafts Too and a couple of other generic( or Shop own brands) that all work with no problem. You can also use brass stencils and Fiskars embossing plates, using a different pad stack. Here are a few YouTube links for you:
Fiskars plates & Cuttlebug
Brass Stencils & CB
Double Embossing
and there are dozens more! Hope this gets you started,
Thanks for this info. I watched the YouTube videos you linked, and several others as well; all were very informative and gave me lots of ideas. I'm off to shop for other brands of embossing folders now that I know I can use them in the Cuttlebug. Saw some Tim Holtz ones that I especially liked.
Diane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #3722
Inking Addict

Has anyone got the embossing plus cuttlebug folders? I just stumbled across them on youtube... but i i cant seem to see them on the provocraft website... and i am sure i havent spotted them at Michaels! infact, i dont think michaels carries too many of the combo dies that cut and emboss in one pass....

where to purchase besides online?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #3723
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeearqam View Post
Has anyone got the embossing plus cuttlebug folders? I just stumbled across them on youtube... but i i cant seem to see them on the provocraft website... and i am sure i havent spotted them at Michaels! infact, i dont think michaels carries too many of the combo dies that cut and emboss in one pass....

where to purchase besides online?
I believe I bought mine at Hobby Lobby.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #3724
Compulsive Stamper

I have some of those very small 2" square embossing folders from ProvoCraft and haven't used them much until I was experimenting with Parchment paper. I put the Parchment paper instead of regular cardstock in the folder and ran it thru the Cuttlebug - nice effect. I did use a stylus to emboss a little more of some areas. I then mounted them on cardstock and used them on the front of cards. These are posted on my blog if you wish to see them.

I embossed some buterflies on Parchment paper too but they aren't on cards yet.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #3725
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftnut View Post
I have some of those very small 2" square embossing folders from ProvoCraft and haven't used them much until I was experimenting with Parchment paper. I put the Parchment paper instead of regular cardstock in the folder and ran it thru the Cuttlebug - nice effect. I did use a stylus to emboss a little more of some areas. I then mounted them on cardstock and used them on the front of cards. These are posted on my blog if you wish to see them.

I embossed some buterflies on Parchment paper too but they aren't on cards yet.
How delicate and lovely, Violet. What a good idea!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #3726
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks! I love to play with dies, stamps and other stuff to see what else I can use them for. So much fun.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #3727
Insane Embellisher

I have tried vellum with the embossing folders before, does the parchment work better than vellum?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #3728
Compulsive Stamper

Well, I haven't tried vellum so I cannot comment on which is best...but I certainly liked the parchment paper in the embossing folders.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #3729
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I have tried vellum with the embossing folders before, does the parchment work better than vellum?
Hi Jan
what over here is parchment paper?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #3730
Insane Embellisher

Just that Kathy, parchment paper. I did buy some ages ago from a Scrapbooking shop when I was having a fiddle with embossing with a stylus, but that went out the window when I got my cuttlebug. Most SB stores or stationers should stock it.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #3731
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Memory Box dies in Cuttlebug

I just bought several Memory Box dies-they were SOOOO beautiful but I am a new cuttlebug user and I am having a hard time! For those that might have the dies, I have "Snowflake Border" (actually called "frostyville" and "Flowering Christmas Tree". I have tried all different kinds of "sandwiches" and the only ones that come close are so tight to get into my machine, and really hard to crank through, I worry I might ruin the cuttlebug! Even after running them through that way, I have to work carefully to "break" out the diecut. What am I doing wrong? Is my paper too thick, too thin-does anyone else have problems with these dies?
Maybe I should just stick to embossing....
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #3732
Cardstock Collector

I bought a used Cuddlebug right here on SCS a little over a year ago. I just luv it. I would never be without one ever again. I have managed to acquire many folders and dies to use with my "bug" and the list goes on. And it is very portable. And I don't have a Michael's or JoAnn's close by, so I have to make thr trips count.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #3733
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca_73 View Post
I have added the photo corner die to my collection.
But I don't get a clue out of it... Does anybody know how to use it, i mean how to get a photo corner out of it?

im sure someone already showed you this but here is a tutorial CB Photocorner Die Cut im so glad i watched it because I thought it was just to make regular photo corners not ribbon ones.

Runs with decorative scissors!

View My Blog!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #3734
Inking Addict

hey guys, i'm sure this has been asked before but i recently put my cuttlebug to good use by embossing a lot of paper pieces to use with these invitation cards i'm making... trouble is, with both thick card stock (called chart paper here) and thinner wrapping type materials, the bug's embossing folders are cutting through the embossed design in most cases,.... why is that?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #3735
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
hey guys, i'm sure this has been asked before but i recently put my cuttlebug to good use by embossing a lot of paper pieces to use with these invitation cards i'm making... trouble is, with both thick card stock (called chart paper here) and thinner wrapping type materials, the bug's embossing folders are cutting through the embossed design in most cases,.... why is that?
I keep a mister spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol just for this problem. If you mist the paper with alcohol right before you put it in the folder, it will completely penetrate and soften the fibers and they will be pliable enough to bend without breaking. I know this should work for the thicker material and hopefully will help with the thinner.

On the thin paper, another tip is to sandwich it between a couple other pieces of thin paper (cheap, scrap). The outer sheets may rip but the inner sheet should be cut free.

The thicker paper could be laminated with an outer facing over an inner core, which could be causing the problem. Paper like that is hard to score successfully also. The alcohol mist should help.

It also has the advantage that it dries almost immediately and keeps the impression extrememly crisp looking, I love the effect! It also will not change the finish of the paper as misting with water can.

Hope this works for you, please let us know the results!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #3736
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnephelps View Post
I keep a mister spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol just for this problem. If you mist the paper with alcohol right before you put it in the folder, it will completely penetrate and soften the fibers and they will be pliable enough to bend without breaking. I know this should work for the thicker material and hopefully will help with the thinner.

On the thin paper, another tip is to sandwich it between a couple other pieces of thin paper (cheap, scrap). The outer sheets may rip but the inner sheet should be cut free.

The thicker paper could be laminated with an outer facing over an inner core, which could be causing the problem. Paper like that is hard to score successfully also. The alcohol mist should help.

It also has the advantage that it dries almost immediately and keeps the impression extrememly crisp looking, I love the effect! It also will not change the finish of the paper as misting with water can.

Hope this works for you, please let us know the results!
Thankyou for the prompt and indepth reply! I am currently not in the US anymore, so i'm not sure if i'll be able to find a branded alcohol mister spray since there are no stores like michaels or hobby lobby here... could you tell me of a stationery brand name if applicable... or could i make one makeshift one at home using alcohol and a small spray bottle?

i dont suppose water would work well... :/
Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #3737
Pearl-ExPert

If you emboss more than one piece of paper at a time it seems to help keep them from tearing. If one of them does tear you can use it again and again with a new piece to keep it from ripping on you. Hope it works for you!

Quote:
Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #3738
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Thankyou for the prompt and indepth reply! I am currently not in the US anymore, so i'm not sure if i'll be able to find a branded alcohol mister spray since there are no stores like michaels or hobby lobby here... could you tell me of a stationery brand name if applicable... or could i make one makeshift one at home using alcohol and a small spray bottle?

i dont suppose water would work well... :/
Yup, make it yourself at home, any small mister bottle with rubbing alcohol. . . they call it something different in the UK. I bought an empty mister for less than a dollar, I think it was in the travel section at the drug store!

I have also used stamp cleaner misters when they're used up, swish out the empty mister and refill with alcohol. Just write on the label that it's alcohol in there now!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #3739
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I agree with the other poster, sometimes you can put 2 or 3 sheets of thinner paper in a folder at the same time. This works especially with vellum- it doesn't have fibres like paper, so doesn't stretch. Re the rubbing alcohol, you are supposed to be able to get it at chemists, but I didn't have any luck there.(I'm in the Uk too). I ordered mine on line, off ebay from BioStain . you can also get Ios-propyal alcohol from them, which you can use with Alcohol inks instead of the expensive blender. Thats all the blender is. I have also read that you can use vodka as a replacement for both items, but I haven't tried it.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #3740
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Yup, make it yourself at home, any small mister bottle with rubbing alcohol. . . they call it something different in the UK. I bought an empty mister for less than a dollar, I think it was in the travel section at the drug store.
Ok, what we Yanks call rubbing alcohol is called "surgical spirit" in the UK and should be readily available at any chemist!

Hope that helps, I would hate to cause a waste of good vodka, LOL!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #3741
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hope that helps, I would hate to cause a waste of good vodka, LOL!
Why do you think I haven't tried it yet......
Old 10-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #3742
Inking Addict

Adding an extra layer of thinner paper INSIDE the folder works for me, too. But, how do you avoid getting a "smash" around the area if you are using a smaller folder, or one with a frame? Or getting the edges of the folder itself imprinted into the paper? I am sure there is probably a tutorial (video would be fab since i am a VERY visual learner!), but could someone point me to it? THANKS!

I have a creative gene...it comes from my Father, the Author of Creativity!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #3743
Insane Embellisher

What I do to prevent the folder edges leaving indents is:
Cut out a tmeplate, just slightly smaller than the outside edges of the folders, then use this template to cut out several pieces of chipboard. Glue these pieces of chipboard together until they are the same thickness as a "B" plate. (Cuttlebug B plate) You then use, (starting from the bottom up) your "A" plate, folder with cardstock in place, your chipboard "B" plate in the centre of your folder, and then your other regular "B" plate last. This really improves the look of the embossed images when you don't have those outside indents. Hope this is some help.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #3744
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

I love my cuttlebug but I am gettin frustrated trying to find the extended plates. They seem to be out of stock. I don't see as much stuff for the bug anymore. I hope they don't stop selling stuff for it. I would be so lost without it.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #3745
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
I love my cuttlebug but I am gettin frustrated trying to find the extended plates. They seem to be out of stock. I don't see as much stuff for the bug anymore. I hope they don't stop selling stuff for it. I would be so lost without it.
I got mine here: Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Cutting Mats - 2PK : dies & accessories : die cut machines & accessories : scrapbooking : Shop | Joann.com

They aren't on sale right now, but will probably be next week. You can create a wishlist.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #3746
Insane Embellisher

You don't have to worry about there not being much bug stuff around as I have all sorts of brands of dies and embossing folders and they all do well in it. I went to an acrylic factory here in Adelaide and got extended plates made and extra B plates. Heaps cheaper than buying from a store. They all work perfectly.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #3747
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvics View Post
I got mine here: Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Cutting Mats - 2PK*: dies & accessories*: die cut machines & accessories*: scrapbooking*: Shop | Joann.com

They aren't on sale right now, but will probably be next week. You can create a wishlist.
Thank you. I know this may sound funny but I forget about Joann's. I think that is because our stores in my area don't seem to carry much of the cuttlebug. Do you know how many times I have the coupon for them too and have not used it. What was I thinking. Again thank you!!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #3748
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
You don't have to worry about there not being much bug stuff around as I have all sorts of brands of dies and embossing folders and they all do well in it. I went to an acrylic factory here in Adelaide and got extended plates made and extra B plates. Heaps cheaper than buying from a store. They all work perfectly.
that is good to hear!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #3749
Forum Fanatic

Cheryl - acrylic cutting pads can be cut at home by anyone with decent woodworking equipment. My hubby made me lots of them.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #3750
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvics View Post
I got mine here: Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Cutting Mats - 2PK*: dies & accessories*: die cut machines & accessories*: scrapbooking*: Shop | Joann.com

I got mine from Joann also. They list for $19.99, so if you pay full price for all three items (Extended A, Extended C, Extended pair of B plates) it is very pricy. However that section routinely goes on sale for 40% off.

Sign up for their email newsletter to get coupons, then wait for the sale and the free shipping coupon at the same time! I got mine for $11.99 each this way!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #3751
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I got mine from Joann also. They list for $19.99, so if you pay full price for all three items (Extended A, Extended C, Extended pair of B plates) it is very pricy. However that section routinely goes on sale for 40% off.

Sign up for their email newsletter to get coupons, then wait for the sale and the free shipping coupon at the same time! I got mine for $11.99 each this way!
Trust me I will!! I get their mailing but never thought about the email newsletter. Thank you!!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #3752
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbaker View Post
Cheryl - acrylic cutting pads can be cut at home by anyone with decent woodworking equipment. My hubby made me lots of them.
I have a scroll saw. Would that work?? Also, where do I get the acrylic from? I have the stocking dye and it is longer than the cutting pad and a pain to cut. I appreciate your help!!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #3753
Die Cut Diva

I am so glad I found this thread..... Does anyone know if the Christmas Stocking that is in the SU Mini catalog fits in the cuddlebug???? thank you so much... Melissa
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #3754
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scungilli View Post
I am so glad I found this thread..... Does anyone know if the Christmas Stocking that is in the SU Mini catalog fits in the cuddlebug???? thank you so much... Melissa
Melissa - YES IT DOES!! I was happy to learn this first hand...works perfectly...WELL, just have to be sure you have EVEN pressure all the way through. I found it doesn't cut the stocking top 'trim' out if there isn't equal pressure. Otherwise, the die itself fits perfectly. Use your guide to do the sandwich.

Kim

I have a creative gene...it comes from my Father, the Author of Creativity!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #3755
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by scungilli View Post
I use the extended mats and then I don't have any problem with it cutting off part of the top. Works beautifully!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #3756
Die Cut Diva

Default Kim and Louise.....

Thank you so much for the response. I have a lady who wants to buy the die but only has a cuddlebug and I was not sure. I will happily tell her yes it fits. That is great news. Thank you again for your replies... Melissa
Old 11-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #3757
Glitter Queen

Default New Cuttlebug Bag

Has anyone tried the new bag for the cuttlebug? I just saw it tonight on Joann's website. Does it hold much? It is hard to tell much about it from the picture or the description. I just wish it was better looking... I wish the color matched the bug!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #3758
Cardstock Collector

i just found an awesome Canadian online site. They have awesome prices.free shipping on larger orders, and whats best, all the prices you see are taxes in. scrapbookingcafeonline.ca I order from them all the time. They will order stuff in that you want but dont see on their site too.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #3759
Cardstock Collector

I have not heard great reports about the new Cuttlebug. I think the Big Shot is a much better choice than the new Cuttlebug
Old 12-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #3760
Forum Fanatic

I'm still using the original Cuttlebug, that I have had for a few years. It still works perfectly, and it will do anything I've needed so far.

https://momomakes.com