Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #4121
Hardware Hotshot

Scotch Quick Dry is now the tacky glue.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #4122
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Scotch Quick Dry is now the tacky glue.
Thank you for that info! I was freakin out😁
Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #4123
Insane Embellisher

Quick question. Is the cutting area on the Cuttlebug V3 wider now? Will it accept Big Shot cutting plates? TIA
Old 01-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #4124
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
Thank you for that info! I was freakin out😁
You're welcome. Me too.
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #4125
Pearl-ExPert

Anyone here have experience with the newest Cuttlebug V3 ?? Do they hold up over time? Cut the intricate dies?

My original cuttlebug bit the dust today. It has had a long life and I more than got my $25 out of it (I bought it used maybe 6 years ago?). I need a replacement and am thinking of the newest cuttlebug because I really dont have space for big shot and the others are too much money.

Designs for Just for Fun & I Brake for Stamps
Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #4126
Hardware Hotshot

One of mine is a version 3. It seems the same high quality as the earlier model (2?), just a different color. Mine's a pale blue that HSN had for a very short time. Like the other manuals, you need various sandwiches, sometimes a metal shim for intricate dies, sometimes spot shimming. I use die release paper for some intricate dies to make it easier.

There's only been one set of two background dies that were just about impossible to cut, but my LSS's two Big Shots couldn't cut them either. The die feels duller than some other companies'.

My Gemini Junior did cut okay with it, but some of the Electric's have more even pressure it's not a fair comparison.

If it weren't for hand issues I would have stuck with the Cuttlebug, and probably will still use it for a couple of things, like partial die cutting using the narrow plates along with the regular Cuttlebug plates.

Btw, I'd be happy to send you my yellow/green Cuttlebug for shipping costs, but I bet you can find a new one with free shipping, and my plates are beat up and curvy. I didn't need the blue one; just *had* to have it. : )

Last edited by bjeans; 02-23-2018 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: forgot to add die release paper
Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #4127
Stazon Splitcoast

I am curious as to what "die release paper" is and where one purchases it? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
One of mine is a version 3. It seems the same high quality as the earlier model (2?), just a different color. Mine's a pale blue that HSN had for a very short time. Like the other manuals, you need various sandwiches, sometimes a metal shim for intricate dies, sometimes spot shimming. I use die release paper for some intricate dies to make it easier.

There's only been one set of two background dies that were just about impossible to cut, but my LSS's two Big Shots couldn't cut them either. The die feels duller than some other companies'.

My Gemini Junior did cut okay with it, but some of the Electric's have more even pressure it's not a fair comparison.

If it weren't for hand issues I would have stuck with the Cuttlebug, and probably will still use it for a couple of things, like partial die cutting using the narrow plates along with the regular Cuttlebug plates.

Btw, I'd be happy to send you my yellow/green Cuttlebug for shipping costs, but I bet you can find a new one with free shipping, and my plates are beat up and curvy. I didn't need the blue one; just *had* to have it. : )

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 31, 2017
Please join us in our 2018 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
bjeans likes this post.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #4128
Hardware Hotshot

It just helps paper bits from very detailed dies not stick into the die, so less poking or easier poking. And it actually makes a neat kind of ghostly die cut since the release paper is translucent and patterned. It's like how some people use wax paper, though others say wax paper isn't good for dies. (I have no opinion.) It feels thinner and different than wax paper. I don't use it that often but when it's needed it's really nice. Two rolls per box.

It used to be hard to find but Marco's often had it when others didn't: Couture Creations Quick Release Die Paper - Marco's Paper

SSS carries it now but it's out of stock. It looks like the packaging has changed, unless that's the old packaging (but it looks more modern): Ultimate Crafts QUICK RELEASE DIE PAPER Couture Creations ULT157149 at Simon Says STAMP!

It's out of stock at JoAnn's and on Amazon it costs about three times as much.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #4129
Stazon Splitcoast

Bjeans...Thank you so much for this info. I didn't know there was such a thing. I really needed this when I made 10 cards using the Detailed Floral Thinlits. The brush and foam did not work, so I had to poke out many, many little pieces. LM

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 31, 2017
Please join us in our 2018 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
bjeans likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #4130
Glitter Queen

Question Big shot vs. cuttle bug

The link on the OP doesn't work. Can anybody tell me the difference?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #4131
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgirl89 View Post

There are many comparisons to be found. Here are a few:

https://personaldiecutting.com/cricu...ig-shot/https:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ofa5vbPOzE

I have a Cuttlebug and like that I can fold it up & store it.

bjeans likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #4132
Die Cut Diva

For portability - the cuttlebug wins. Honestly though, I have both machines and have been known to drag the Big Shot around. It can handle dies that are a little larger than what the cuttlebug can hold. If you're only doing embossing and/or wafer thin dies - the Cuttlebug is a great way to do.
maryp and bjeans like this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #4133
Hardware Hotshot

I used both at an LSS and chose the Cuttlebug simply because it took up less space on the corner of my desk when the sides were up. I didn’t know the Big Shot could take dies just a tiny big bigger because I never stumbled across one in all my die buying, including full coverage dies - but they’re out there.

I’ve moved on due to hand issues to a Gemini Junior (electric), but kept my Cuttlebug as a back-up and like Billie Dee mentioned, easy portability - from a closet shelf to a desk, not out in the real world. : )

An interesting test was when two full coverage dies would just not cut with either of my Cuttlebugs, one fairly new. I took them to an LSS and the owner tried two different Big Shots using my paper, and had the same problem in the same places. So while machines vary - even among the same brands, and depending on usage - those four could have been identical quadruplets.

Enjoy whatever you buy. They’re both workhorses and you can’t go wrong.
Beth
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #4134
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgirl89 View Post
From a user point of view, there are points to consider. I have several cutting machines. The Cuttlebug was my first. Then came the SideKick, Big Shot, Vagabond, Tim Holtz SideKick and Gemini Jr., in that order. The Cuttlebug was my first baby and still dear to my heart. I still use it cuz of its size and it fits in a corner. But I love the others too.
1. Size of the machine. I use the Vagabond the least because of it's size and don't have a designated area to put it as it is heavy. But will pull it out for big, heavy projects as it is electronic and no cranking involved. The Cuttlebug on the other hand is small. The Big Shot is in between. My new Gemini Jr. Is small, but very heavy as it is electronic also. So your space is of a consideration.

2. Power/Pressure. This another issue. As far as which machine has the most power and pressure, hands down, the automatic electronic. There is more pressure exerted from their rollers. Therefore, my little Gemini cuts out the thin and intricate dies with ease. One pass is the norm with even 110 lb paper that cuts like butter. With the other machines, I have to use many shims and multiple passes. But this machine can only be used with thin dies. I have more luck with the Big Shot than the Cuttlebug with the thin dies.

3. Another big difference is the size of the die. If the die is 6" or more in width, the Cuttlebug will not serve you. Now note that I have the original Cuttlebug and the newest Cuttlebug might have a wider width. IDK. But this is definitely a factor. You cannot use Big Shot cutting plates in the Cuttlebug. But I use the Cuttlebug plates in the Big Shot all the time including the A plate. The tabbed platform of the Big Shot drives me crazy and messes up my embossing. However, I now use the Vagabond platform with it so I don't have to change the tabs which adds to my space issue.
Note that I use the Bigz Dies that are under 6" in my Cuttlebug.

In ending, I find the above the greatest issues when talking about the differences between the Cuttlebug and Big Shot. Hope this helps.
maryp and tweedcurtain like this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #4135
Die Cut Diva

I have many Bigz dies and they all work in my CB. Please share which ones won't fit, I don't want to purchase any that won't fit. TIA
Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #4136
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvics View Post
I have many Bigz dies and they all work in my CB. Please share which ones won't fit, I don't want to purchase any that won't fit. TIA
I have XL dies that do not fit. Off hand, don't know of specific ones except recent Eileen Hull. But check dimensions on Sizzix site for measurements. Remember, I have the original Cuttlebug and later versions might have a wider plate.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #4137
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
I have XL dies that do not fit. Off hand, don't know of specific ones except recent Eileen Hull. But check dimensions on Sizzix site for measurements. Remember, I have the original Cuttlebug and later versions might have a wider plate.

My CB is original, also. I have XL dies (TH, Karen Burniston, Eileen Hull) that fit. I just looked at Sizzix.com and I don't see a difference, they are 6" wide.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #4138
Glitter Queen

Question: I’m having difficulty with the best sandwich for Crafters Companion 3D embossing folders. I’ve followed their instructions on the website and other forums, but that sandwich simply does not work with my Cuttlebug V3. Any advice? Is this user error on my part? I’ve tried every trick imaginable, and no luck.
Thanks for any input!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #4139
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKitty View Post
Question: Im having difficulty with the best sandwich for Crafters Companion 3D embossing folders. Ive followed their instructions on the website and other forums, but that sandwich simply does not work with my Cuttlebug V3. Any advice? Is this user error on my part? Ive tried every trick imaginable, and no luck.
Thanks for any input!
Can you describe what is happening? Not deep enough impression? Too deep and the cardstock is ripping?

In general, due to the deep embossing in 3D embossing folders, it can be helpful to *very* lightly spritz your cardstock front and back with water to help bend the paper fibers.
maryp likes this post.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #4140
Matboard Maniac

Can anyone direct me to sandwich instructions for the Tim Holtz 3D embossing folders? I have an original Cuttlebug.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:03 AM   #4141
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

I have discovered that the SU very detailed embossing folders are just a bit too wide for my original cuttlebug. My hubby had to trim them to fit. He used one of his toys in the garage for that. After discovering this I wouldn't buy those embossing folders again. Namely the new ceiling tile embossing folder in the holiday mini. I didn't want him to trim it and mess up the design. The other ones he trimmed have a sporadic pattern. Plus, these dies are a thicker material. You can't use both "B" plates for the sandwich. Just one.

The release paper I use with my dies is just regular wax paper. Might have to see what the other is like that was mentioned earlier.
maryp likes this post.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #4142
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol W View Post
Can anyone direct me to sandwich instructions for the Tim Holtz 3D embossing folders? I have an original Cuttlebug.

Turns out I found it! I used my A plate and one B plate. Looks great. The sandwich fit is quite tight, so I roll carefully.
maryp likes this post.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #4143
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol W View Post
Turns out I found it! I used my A plate and one B plate. Looks great. The sandwich fit is quite tight, so I roll carefully.

Do you dampen the cardstock? I watched this video from Tim, although he's not using a CB the folder use is the same.

maryp and Carol W like this post.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #4144
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvics View Post
Do you dampen the cardstock? I watched this video from Tim, although he's not using a CB the folder use is the same.

Yes, thanks! I saw that video and then started experimenting with my Cuttlebug. Not sure yet if I'll be able to use these thicker-type folders in my Grand Calibur also, but at least I'm on track now with my 'Bug.

I've only played a bit so have only scratched the surface of how different papers react in the folder. I've tried misting one piece and liked it, but also put through a piece of a different cardstock without misting and liked that, too. Looking forward to more experimenting!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #4145
Glitter Queen

I haven’t tried misting the paper just a touch with water - good idea! Thank you!
The sandwich instructions that were on the website I checked ended up way too thin and I didn’t get any impression at all. So I tried a whole bunch of sandwiches with no luck. Most were too thin, no impression, but one that worked was thick enough to get some tension in the machine tore areas of the paper, and practically cut straight through. I’ll try water on the cardstock and a few more sandwich combos. My card stock varies between 80 and 110 pound cover (no idea what the gsm is on these). In most cases, at least for me, the perfect sandwich for any given situation varies a bit based on my card stock and thickness of my embossing folder or die.