Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #1841
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk
I also had an extremely thin (1/16" thick) mouse pad that came with my computer. I trimmed it down and ran it through...it worked! This was my order, bottom to top:

Spacer
C Plate
Brass stencil
Cardstock
Thin mouse pad, foam side down
B Plate

When I pulled it out, it was perfectly and crisply embossed! So if you have a super thin foam mousepad, you are essentially running it through as if it were a thin die!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, JanTink!!!

You have no idea how much time and fumbling you just saved me! Got mine yesterday (w/Michael's 50% coupon ) and I'm loving it - I was just getting ready to experiment with my brass stencils.

Thanks!!

(I can't believe I had that wrong all this time!!)

Visit Caseville
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #1842
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm curious how everyone uses their alphabet die cuts? I purchased the Fancy Pants die cut expecting each letter to be on a separate steel plate, but found out that one long plate strip contains multiple letters. (I'm not sure if this is the same with the other alphabet dies or not.)

So, do you put paper only under the letters that you need or do you put paper until the entire plate and then throw away the letters that you don't need? I've never used a die-cut machine before and would love to hear what more experienced die-cutters do.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #1843
Stazon Splitcoast

I do usually cut out pieces of cardstock the size of the letter, as best I can, so as to not waste.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #1844
Kookie Creator

I have the CB harmony alpa set. I think that it's cheaper for the company to produce several letters on one plate. I've never diecut letters either. I cut the paper just big enough to cover the entire plate. I'm saving the letters, but doubt I'll ever actually go through them and use them. I cut the letters mostly from patterned papers.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #1845
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by veramats
I'm totally bummed about not being able to use Joanns coupons on die cutting accessories! Argghhhh!

Now I'm trying to decide just how much I 'need' the Slim Jim alpha dies for my Big Shot before they go off sale. That darn JulieHRR used them in one of her DD cards and I'm so easily influenced!

I can't find them anywhere else for less. Do I really need them? Sigh....

Vera
I would say try www.creativexpress.com, but I just looked and they are out of stock on that one. I got one earlier today for $47 something.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM   #1846
Mad Swapper

FYI I just bought a thin mouse pad at Watmart for $2.98. I am going to try my texture plates with that without the cardboard shim and see if it works any better. I think I might play some more with my brass stencils! Good Luck, Janine! Let us know how things worked.
At Michael's I used a JoAnn's coupon with no problem. The Sizzix Sizzlet 4 pack dies were on sale for 9.99. I was planning on using my coupon for that and I didn't need to! I also bought another Formal Squares CB embossing dies. I was also at JoAnn's since they are about a block away from each other. I got a Fiskars embossing edge punch and tiny tags CB dies. I hope to find some time to play on New's Year Day!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 PM   #1847
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leney
I think I need to clarify a few things. First, I have the Big Shot thanks to my DH, Julie HRR and Costco! Second, DH got me the Big Impressions Kit #2.
I couldn't use it until I ordered the Big Impressions Starter Kit from www.paperdreams.com . They were in stock Tuesday when I ordered it! It has an impression pad, silcone rubber sheet, and 3 double-sided impression plates.
To use the brass stencils I made a sandwich. Starting from the bottom:
1. spacer platform ( comes w/ Big Shot)
2. cutting pad (comes with Big shot)
3. Brass stencil
4. paper or cardstock
5. silcone rubber ( comes with Big Impressions Starter Kit)
6. Impression pad ( comes in the Big Impressions Starter Kit)
Run this through you machine and you have a beautiful embossed image!

Now for the sandwich you will make to use the Fiskars plates and the Big Shot impression plates. Starting for the bottom;
1. THIN PIECE OF CARDBOARD This must be thinner that the cutting pad.
2. spacer platform (comes with Big Shot)
3. texture plate ( Fiskars & Ellison ones are the same thinkness)
4.paper or cardstock
5.silicone rubber pad (comes with Big Impressions Starter Kit)
6. Impressions pad (comes with Big Impressions Starter Kit)
Run this through you machine and you'll a nice sheet of texture for paper crafting.

I found that if you do the texture plates without the homemade cardborad shim you will not get a real noticeable impression. If the cardboard shim is used them the impression is really fab!

I suppect that the Wizard charm Kit it pretty much the same as the Big Impression Starter Kit. They both sell for about the same price but with the BISK you get the 3 double-sided texture plates.
Hope this helps enable you all to go get the Big Impressions Starter Kit or BISK from www.paperdreams.com Be sure to tell them I sent you!!! HA HA HA!!!!

thanks for sharing your experiences. I think I may need to get this kit to emboss with?? did you say you used it with a CB that your friend had? how well did it work with CB? that's what I have.

also, is there another address for paper dreams? I tried the link you posted and it didn't work.

thanks again,
Michelle
Old 12-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #1848
Die Cut Diva

I forgot to mention that www.creativexpress.com does have *lots* of Sizzlets and Sizzix alphabets for really cheap. I got the Doodletag alphabet set (really cute because it cuts tags with a negative letter image in the center) last week for practically a song. They were $100 retail, and are on sale for $39 and change.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:28 AM   #1849
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxeash
Sorry I wasn't very clear... I meant that the <background> embossing folders (e.g divine swirls) are not a true quarter sheet. When you pass a quarter sheet, the embossed design doesn't completely cover the sheet. It leaves out almost a 1/4 inch unembossed. Not sure if I'm saying correctly, LOL...
Btw, do you have any cards uploaded with Bow Frame folder? I saw this folder but no ideas ran in my head as to how to use it.
Hi,
I don't have a gallery - that's my goal for next year. I need to learn how to use the digital camera castoffs from my DSs and then learn to upload. The embossing on the Bow Frame is beautiful - I have just filled the center with a stamp from Big Pieces - absolutely no originality, but I am very happy with the look. I need to see what others have done - in the meanwhile I'm just embossing away.

Lynn
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 AM   #1850
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Oh, you people! I just bid on an alphabet set on Ebay and I won! Typewriter alphabet is mine for $26, plus $5 in shipping...a small savings over using a coupon at Mike's or Joann's!
Good for you. You deserve it after all your other hassels dealing with your new toy
Old 12-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #1851
Die Cut Diva

where are you guys finding a Michael's in-store coupon for 50% off??
Gosh, I had to buy the ATG and now I gotta have a Cuttlebug-here we go...cha ching!!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #1852
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbird
where are you guys finding a Michael's in-store coupon for 50% off??
Gosh, I had to buy the ATG and now I gotta have a Cuttlebug-here we go...cha ching!!
There was one in this week's sale paper.

I've heard rumors that there is another one coming out for next week (tomorrow.)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #1853
Die Cut Diva

so, let me get this straight before I travel too far and get stuck holding a coupon and no little CB. --- they take the coupon for the dies, but not the machine. ??

Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #1854
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbird
so, let me get this straight before I travel too far and get stuck holding a coupon and no little CB. --- they take the coupon for the dies, but not the machine. ??
It depends on the Michael's. Mine would take the coupon no matter what, because they know the difference between Cricut and Cuttlebug. If your's gives you trouble, point out that a) the computer will not take the coupon if it is an excluded item, so have them run the coupon and see what happens and b) the top of the box says "by the makers of the Cricut" NOT that it is a Cricut product.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #1855
Die Cut Diva

stampin bird, I would call the store first. They won't take the coupons for any Cuttlebug or Cricut product at either JoAnn or Michaels here.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #1856
Mad Swapper

Michelle, sorry that link wasn't right. Here is the correct one:
www.paperdreamsstore.com
I got the link from someone here on SCS from this thread, I think.

Kimmery, a SCS member, has the CB and I have the Big Shot. I have seen her machine and I THINK that the BISK will work in it. We haven't had time to test it yet.
I wish I had time today but I have a funeral to help with and then I need to get my last bit of mall shopping done. Then my house needs to be cleaned and I need to find a place for stuff that was once in my livingroom. DH finally got us a sofa. He gave our other one away 3 years ago! I only have til Monday to do this because I start teaching again on the 2nd.
We will try to do it on Monday and then let you all know our results!
Sorry the first link didn't work. I just typed paper dreams in the search box and folllowed those links. I didn't realize the word store was in there. I know that this should work!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #1857
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the CB and the BISK works great in it. I think, depending on the cardstock, I might just slide in a cardstock shim, just to make the embossing more pronounced, but otherwise it goes through like a dream.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #1858
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm totally bummed about not being able to use Joanns coupons on die cutting accessories! Argghhhh!

Now I'm trying to decide just how much I 'need' the Slim Jim alpha dies for my Big Shot before they go off sale. That darn JulieHRR used them in one of her DD cards and I'm so easily influenced!

I can't find them anywhere else for less. Do I really need them? Sigh....

Vera
Vera, I got the lowercase Slim Jim for Big shot at Joann.com when they had them on sale--I couldn't find it anywhere else for a better deal. I love it so much, I want the Uppercase now, too . . .
Old 12-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #1859
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I have the CB and the BISK works great in it. I think, depending on the cardstock, I might just slide in a cardstock shim, just to make the embossing more pronounced, but otherwise it goes through like a dream.
thanks! this is good to know.

can someone tell me where on the paper dreams web site to find the BISK? I've been checking it out, and can't seem to find it. I've seen the texture plates, and the machine, but nothing I click on seems to take me to the embossing kit. what am I missing?
thanks
Michelle
Old 12-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #1860
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by takers
I'm curious how everyone uses their alphabet die cuts? I purchased the Fancy Pants die cut expecting each letter to be on a separate steel plate, but found out that one long plate strip contains multiple letters. (I'm not sure if this is the same with the other alphabet dies or not.)

So, do you put paper only under the letters that you need or do you put paper until the entire plate and then throw away the letters that you don't need? I've never used a die-cut machine before and would love to hear what more experienced die-cutters do.

I cut the cardstock to the size and only run the letters I need. I debated getting a holder like guys use for screws and stuff with all the little drawers and labeling for each letter. Then I would have precut ones ready to go. Not sure I have the space to add another storage unit though.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #1861
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper
I cut the cardstock to the size and only run the letters I need. I debated getting a holder like guys use for screws and stuff with all the little drawers and labeling for each letter. Then I would have precut ones ready to go. Not sure I have the space to add another storage unit though.
I've been eyeing those for a year now! You may push me over the edge with the alpha idea

Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #1862
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Vera, I got the lowercase Slim Jim for Big shot at Joann.com when they had them on sale--I couldn't find it anywhere else for a better deal. I love it so much, I want the Uppercase now, too . . .

Ha ha! I just read your post after I completed my order on Joanns! I got a Visa gift card from my preschool students, some I'm spending a little Christmas money! Woo hoo!

Thanks for the enabling everyone!

Vera
Old 12-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #1863
Die Cut Diva

What does BISK mean?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #1864
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

OK, now here's my question of the day . . . ppppppffffffftttttttt!

I know some of you have been purchasing CB dies for most excellent deals via Ebay.

I will admit that I am not fond of shopping on Ebay, unless I know the vendor personally. I'm just very cautious, and I don't care how good a deal can "appear" (ya' know the old saying: If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is) . . . Yes, I'm an Ebay CHICKEN!

Are there any Ebay auctioneers/vendors of CB products that you can recommend to me with utmost confidence and satisfaction?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #1865
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by housefan
What does BISK mean?
Big Impressions Starter Kit

Made for the Big Shot, to do pressure embossing with their line of texture plates, Easy Emboss Folders (which have brass templates inside plastic folders). Contains silicone and rubber impression pads that cannot be purchased separately; hafta get one of the starter kits.

They have discovered it works on the Cuttlebug, as well as the Big Shot.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #1866
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper
Here's what I did to get more storage for my allotted space:

Heidi's Storage

Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #1867
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ha ha! I just read your post after I completed my order on Joanns! I got a Visa gift card from my preschool students, some I'm spending a little Christmas money! Woo hoo!

Thanks for the enabling everyone!

Vera
I think you'll really like it! It really is a lot of fun to work with!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #1868
Inking Addict

Red face cuttlebug newbie question

I was finally able to open the cuttlebug that I got for Christmas. My kids got me an A2 embossing folder and also a cute set of the smaller ones. I've never done this before and was really please when it actually worked! What I am wondering is, how does everyone use these smaller folders. The one I have (cute little dogs) open at the bottom so you are limited to the lower portion of the card unless you do it on a smaller piece of paper and tape it on.
Or is it possible to split the folder into two seperate pieces and run it through.
Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #1869
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrisella
I was finally able to open the cuttlebug that I got for Christmas. My kids got me an A2 embossing folder and also a cute set of the smaller ones. I've never done this before and was really please when it actually worked! What I am wondering is, how does everyone use these smaller folders. The one I have (cute little dogs) open at the bottom so you are limited to the lower portion of the card unless you do it on a smaller piece of paper and tape it on.
Or is it possible to split the folder into two seperate pieces and run it through.
Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I don't have any of the small ones, and don't know if anyone has tried it--it would void the warranty and any possibility of returning it, if it didn't work.

Someone would have to be willing to eat the cost of it, if they wanted to try it, and it didn't work, UKWIM?

OMG, tho. I wonder . . . (wheels are turning . . . )
Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #1870
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I don't have any of the small ones, and don't know if anyone has tried it--it would void the warranty and any possibility of returning it, if it didn't work.

Someone would have to be willing to eat the cost of it, if they wanted to try it, and it didn't work, UKWIM?

OMG, tho. I wonder . . . (wheels are turning . . . )
I think it would be hard to get it lined back up right. If anyone's brave enough to cut theirs.....

Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #1871
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Hmmmm. I've *thought* about it, but haven't done it. Did you know . . . you CAN purchase sheets . . . of rubber gasket . . . in the plumbing department at the hardware store . . . typically comes in two different thicknesses . . . I wonder about the thinner one . . .

. . . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wonder . . .
I have been thinking about making my own stamps also, and do you think it would work with the Crafting Foam Sheets? I would think you could die cut them without a problem.. Also I have seen material in Michael's to design your own stamps but I think it is something you have to carve out or sculpt.

After reading everything about the Cuttle bug I think my next purchase has been decided. I was trying to make up my mind between Cuttlebug, the Cricut or the sizzix It sounds like $ for $ the cuttlebug is more reasonable and has more variety avialable for dies..
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #1872
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I also had an extremely thin (1/16" thick) mouse pad that came with my computer. I trimmed it down and ran it through...it worked! This was my order, bottom to top:

Spacer
C Plate
Brass stencil
Cardstock
Thin mouse pad, foam side down
B Plate

When I pulled it out, it was perfectly and crisply embossed! So if you have a super thin foam mousepad, you are essentially running it through as if it were a thin die!
So do you think this would also work with the texture plates? (Same sandwich, except texture plate in place of brass stencil) I am really debating whether I need to order one of the embossing pad kits! (The Wizard Charm Kit, or the Big Impressions Starter Kit). I ordered the texture plates yesterday, so I guess I need to be patient & wait until they get here... But if they come, and it doesn't work, then I have to wait until the other pads get here before I can use them! Hello! Unacceptable!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #1873
Stampin' Fool

OK, I was just looking at the BISK on the Joann website & it's sold out. Anybody know about how much it runs?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #1874
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Sylvia
After reading everything about the Cuttle bug I think my next purchase has been decided. I was trying to make up my mind between Cuttlebug, the Cricut or the sizzix It sounds like $ for $ the cuttlebug is more reasonable and has more variety avialable for dies..
Hi! This is what I decided, too. I was having the same debate- but the Cuttlebug won out, and I'm loving it. The embossing feature was what really sold me on it. Plus, I have limited space, so the tiny size was a plus for me (as opposed to the sizzix). I have never had a die cut machine before, but I'm sure having fun with it!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #1875
Stampin' Fool

OK, it's me again... Holy crap! (Can I say that?...) Yesterday when I ordered on the Joann website, they were out of A2 emboss folders. Today, they're back in stock, and they have TONS of them! They only had 3 before, and now they have 19! I think I need to call & cancel yesterday's order...
Old 12-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #1876
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcookie44
OK, it's me again... Holy crap! (Can I say that?...) Yesterday when I ordered on the Joann website, they were out of A2 emboss folders. Today, they're back in stock, and they have TONS of them! They only had 3 before, and now they have 19! I think I need to call & cancel yesterday's order...
I only see 2 different ones there.....do you have a link?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #1877
Stampin' Fool

Let's see if I can do this right...
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...&PRODID=179069
I've never put a link in before, so I hope that works. I can't find a phone # for Joann.com- anybody know? Am I just going to have to put in a new order?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #1878
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcookie44
Let's see if I can do this right...
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...&PRODID=179069
I've never put a link in before, so I hope that works. I can't find a phone # for Joann.com- anybody know? Am I just going to have to put in a new order?

I only see one in stock.

I would also not jump to cancel your last order. I have placed 3 different orders from Joanns.com for CB A2 folders and have NEVER gotten one delivered fromm them. It has been cancelled each time for not being in stock. I ended up ordering from an online store to round out my "collection". LOL
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #1879
Stampin' Fool

Interesting... I wonder why it's showing up different for me! I just put 5 of them in my shopping basket.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #1880
Stampin' Fool

OK. Maybe I'm crazy. I closed out of the Joann website, went & fed my 3 year old, came back, and there's only one in stock, like Jody said. How did I see this amazing selection and now it's gone? Is it some cruel joke my DH is playing on me? I guess I"ll never know...