Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #1681
Stampin' Fool

I would say cuttlebug also just because it does emboss! I love the embossing feature.
? What alpha set is best for boys?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #1682
Stampin' Fool

What sellers on Ebay are you all having luck with?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #1683
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

woohoo! I just got 5 embossing folders in the mail from happyscrapbooking (or whatever it is called lol). I now have all the EF I want. I wonder when they will come out with new ones? LOL I am ready to add to my collection.

That is a bummer about red tag. I need to go check mine. That is really the only alphabet that I liked enough to buy it. I hope mine is not "flat". LOL
Old 12-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #1684
Glitter Guru

Is the Red Tag C a new problem? I bought mine a few weeks ago, and both C's seem fine to me?...........
Old 12-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #1685
Kookie Creator

I joined the CB fanatics yesterday and was almost late for work because I couldn't stop playing with it. Before owning one, I used the Fiskars embossing plates to get embossed BGs. I own 18 of them, but they were very hard on my hands -- having to run the embossing tool all over the plate. When I did a comparison of CB vs. Fiskars for my DH, he was amazed and totally understood why I NEEDED A CB. I also have a Sixxex and lots of dies, but in my opinion, the two are not interchangeable. As I'm more of carder than scrapper, I know I'll get lots of usage from this cool gizmo. One teeny weeny complaint. I think Provo should include one of the folders in with the machine, so that people can start right away using it. I had Joanns open it for me to check everything before purchase. Both the clerk and I were surprised that there wasn't one with it, since they're relatively cheap.
Also, I have been able to emboss quite nicely with my brass templates. But find that the thin ones (as in cheaper) work best. You have to use plate, "A", plate "B" and "C" and a mouse pad 1/4" thick or less. I got this info from an SCS blogger. I'm sorry I can't remember which one unfortunately.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #1686
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxeash
Woohoo!! I finally got my 1st Die-cut machine!! I drove down to Buffalo to buy the bug.
I was told in Mike's that I can't use the coupon on Cuttlebug. The cashier didn't listen to my reasoning that it only says "From the makers of Cricut" and it is not a Cricut. She didn't budge, so I asked to talk to her supervisor. I didn't care that people behind me in the line were getting impatient. Hell, I didn't wait for 3 hrs at the border (maddening traffic to cross the border) to go back empty-handed. The supervisor took the bug inside to check something & applied the discount. I was giddy!!
I bought only 3 embossing folders (swirls, HB & the one with dots & flowers), as between Mike & Joann's they had only these 3. I bought the asterisks die cut.
Ooooo... I just cudn't stop playing with my new bug. I literally hugged it couple of times to my DH's amusement!

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the embossing is not a true 4.25x5.5 It needs an additional small layer to cover the front of the card completely.
I am so happy for you! When I read that you drove for 3 hrs, at the boarder, etc. it made my heart smile for you.

Gosh, I need to catch up on this thread AGAIN, since there's so much joy to share as well as problems popping up with the alphabet dies (been away for a week).

Anyway, on the embossing folders - I don't see the problems that others have mentioned with the FULL quarter cut. If you are making a card as opposed to placing the quarter sheet in there - i've been using the design as a guide - so the cards come out beautifully; as in their Bow Frame folder with the definitive border around the edges. Forgive me, if I am misunderstanding what some of you are saying. Just thought I'd share my experiences.

Again...good for you girl. I think i would have thought nothing of driving as well. Welcome to the club!!

Lynn
Old 12-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #1687
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseH
Is the Red Tag C a new problem? I bought mine a few weeks ago, and both C's seem fine to me?...........
I bought mine several weeks ago, but just opened it yesterday. The *picture* of the larger C on the front of the die is fine. But when you look at the *back*, where the die actually is, you can see that the top (or bottom?) is cut off straight, instead of being rounded.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #1688
Glitter Guru

wow, you are right..........I hadn't even noticed it..........it is very slight........but definitely straight cut...........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 12-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #1689
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Provo Craft just called me back!

I *just* got off the phone with Provo Craft. They asked for my address to send me a new plate for the Red Tag "C." No offers of free stuff, though! LOL

I'll be happy to have the corrected "C."
Old 12-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #1690
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysnowflake
What sellers on Ebay are you all having luck with?
I got some in mid November and noticed that a few sellers are no longer selling. I suspect that many were enterprising people who used their coupons and had a little to sell at the time. These sellers were quick and fast with shipping; my assumption was that goods were in hand. Others who had listed took awhile to mail out the goods and had me worried a bit but every one came thru, eventually.

My suggestion would be to go to eBay and check the seller's feedback and be careful by taking another step and look at their shipping costs.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #1691
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
I *just* got off the phone with Provo Craft. They asked for my address to send me a new plate for the Red Tag "C." No offers of free stuff, though! LOL

Thank you for sharing the info.
Wish me luck - I have two of those sets. I hope they believe me and i'm glad I didn't give it to my GF yet.

Lynn
Old 12-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #1692
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

UGH! I just went and checked mine and mine is also flat. Can you share the phone number so I can call please?

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #1693
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinks

Anyway, on the embossing folders - I don't see the problems that others have mentioned with the FULL quarter cut. If you are making a card as opposed to placing the quarter sheet in there - i've been using the design as a guide - so the cards come out beautifully; as in their Bow Frame folder with the definitive border around the edges. Forgive me, if I am misunderstanding what some of you are saying. Just thought I'd share my experiences.
Here is what I have found. The *word* backgrounds seem to be full-sized. In fact, my "Friend" folder is just a titch too big! But some of the others (Snowflake and Textile, for example) are a bit too small. I wonder if this was a progression in their production, so that the ones that came out later are a bit bigger?? Anyway, I took Debbie's suggestion and cut my cardstock to 4 x 11 for the smaller ones. Then after embossing, score and trim off the "unembossed" cardstock end. Works great.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #1694
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjodylynn
UGH! I just went and checked mine and mine is also flat. Can you share the phone number so I can call please?

Thank you.
1 800-937-7686

Good luck! They were very nice to me, and called back after just a few hours. I am impressed with how they are handling it.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #1695
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlavender
YEAH for christmas!!! santa got me the cuttlebug!! even better that i heard he took my advise (and coupons) and got it 40% off!
--just fyi, i searched the ebay stores to find a store that sold cuttlebug dies and found the alpha sets for $30 with $6 shipping!
which Ebay store has the alphabets for this price? that's a great deal!
thanks
Michelle
Old 12-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #1696
Dirty Dozen Alumni

well, I guess I wasn't so lucky. LOL. I just got a call back from PC. She said they just got the replacement dies for the Red Tag with the bad C. They are sending me the new die, but will not be sending me another alpha like she previously stated.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #1697
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Here is what I have found. The *word* backgrounds seem to be full-sized. In fact, my "Friend" folder is just a titch too big! But some of the others (Snowflake and Textile, for example) are a bit too small. I wonder if this was a progression in their production, so that the ones that came out later are a bit bigger?? Anyway, I took Debbie's suggestion and cut my cardstock to 4 x 11 for the smaller ones. Then after embossing, score and trim off the "unembossed" cardstock end. Works great.
thanks
I see what you mean. I just looked at the ones I ran thru. Since I centered and ran thru cards, I didn't notice it - just thought they were supposed to be that way. I like how they look. Can't wait for new designs.

I sent them an email awhile back asking if they would consider putting the fold on these on the bottom instead of the left as that would allow us to emboss top folding cards for those with definitive one way designs.

I just called Customer Services and first spoke to someone who was very nice about the problem with the die and the fact that I have two sets. However, she had to refer me to someone else in CS after learning that I am in HI, because she said they usually do not offer replacements, etc. for eBay purchases - usually deal with purchases from a store/distributorship.

In a minute, the next CS rep came on and said they would send two replacements to me.

The more of us that call in, the faster it seems to get for the next person.
Thank you all. I am a happy bugger!

Lynn
Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #1698
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I took Debbie's suggestion and cut my cardstock to 4 x 11 for the smaller ones. Then after embossing, score and trim off the "unembossed" cardstock end. Works great.
I realized I should have done this AFTER I sent these all out! Darn it. OH well, I know for next time, just trim the edge.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #1699
Kookie Creator

After hearing the wonderful feedback, I just ordered 4 of the A2 Embossing Folders from www.happyscrappinscrapbooking.com. She was out of the snowflakes folder (like everyone), but I mentioned in the notes that if the folders happened to get back in stock before it was sent to please add it to my order! Sharon wrote back and told me that since she hadn't had a chance to open and use her own personal Snowflakes folder that she would include it in my order! I was so impressed! I really like her site! And it's being shipped tomorrow!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #1700
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I finally made 2 quick cards with pieces I ran thru the bug. Nothing spectacular but I had fun.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=429055&cat=500&ppuser=8381

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=429054&cat=500&ppuser=8381

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #1701
Mad Swapper

I just posted my first cuttlebug card! Oh my goodness, I can't wait to go play some more! It is here: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=429089&cat=5411 You girls have created a Monster! Thanks alot!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #1702
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Very cool cards, Diane. And thanks for those reporting about the defected "C" on the Red Tag alpha. I was going to go tomorrow and trade in the Boss alpha (I got both Olivia and Not the Boss of Me from DH-I did ask for both, but they are too similar for me). Guess I will wait and get that one at a later date when they get that die fixed. Now to figure out which one I want instead I am loving the Bug and I know I will spend a fortune in the coming months adding to my collection.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #1703
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Well, I went to Mike's today with my 50% off coupon. I stood there where they had the Cuttlebug boxes and tried to decide: get the Cuttlebug itself with the coupon, or should I buy an alphabet in anticipation that I will get satisfaction from Joann's tomorrow?

I ended up getting the Fancy Pants alphabet for 50% off and some embossing folders at regular price there. I figure even if the manager at Joann does not give me what I want, then I can always use the dies with my Sissix or wait to buy with a 40% coupon at Mike's.

Tomorrow I get to call the manager at Joann's...wish me luck!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #1704
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't wait to see what you do with your Cuttlestuff, Janeen! Keeping fingers crossed for you with Joann's tomorrow! (We can use our Michaels and Joanns coupons interchangeably here. Can you?)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #1705
Mad Swapper

Janine, I wish you luck! Be firm and stand your ground, all the while killing the manager with kindess! She'll know that the customer is always right!!!!
I used most of my CB purchases in my Sizzix until I got my Big Shot. They all worked well except the textured textile folder. There was one spot that didn't emboss well. In my Big Shot there was not a spot that didn't work! It looked great! I think that the rollling gives such better all over even pressure. I am truly am loving my new toys!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #1706
Gabfest Goddess

Ladies!!! Be sure to put cuttlebug as a keyword in your posts when you are uploading your cards! I love looking at what you all have done and this makes it so easy when I go on a search for a new idea!
Also, I decided to host a swap for cards using the cuttlebug! Take a look and join!
Cheers for the Cuttlebug!
~Kendra
Old 12-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #1707
Crimping Master

Here's one of my first cards with my new toy. Even my DH was impressed!
Melisa
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=74699
Old 12-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #1708
Glitter Guru

So, how do I gently convince DH that the Cuttlebug is a necessity ('cuz it is, right?) when I just got the Cricut last month? I do love my Cricut, but a girl needs to cut chipboard and emboss, too!!!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Old 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #1709
Stazon Splitcoast

Here are two cards I made today. I also did a few embossed doggies for a scrapbook page.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=33263

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=33263
Old 12-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #1710
Stampin' Fool

Love all your cards, ladies! I need to MAKE some time tomorrow to play with my Bug. Also to call Provo Craft and get that new die for Red Tag... Sorry, Diane, that you didn't end up getting your free alphabet! Majorly big bummer.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #1711
Polyshrink Goddess

Can anyone help me out. I just bought the Big Impression Starter kit for the Big shot, in hopes that it would help me emboss with the texture plates with my cuddlebug. Has anyone tried this, the kit itself was 20 bucks so I really don't want to bust it open if it isn't going to work...................Any help would be great. Thanks

My New BLOG, come check it out

http://jen-stampininthemidwest.blogspot.com/

Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #1712
Glitter Guru

What would you experienced cuttlebug ladies consider a good price for the 'bug? I'm searching, and I want to make sure I get the best price I can.
Thanks!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #1713
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen41472
Can anyone help me out. I just bought the Big Impression Starter kit for the Big shot, in hopes that it would help me emboss with the texture plates with my cuddlebug. Has anyone tried this, the kit itself was 20 bucks so I really don't want to bust it open if it isn't going to work...................Any help would be great. Thanks
I just opened mine tonight and tried it with the included paisley texture plate. Worked GREAT! I used SU cardstock, which is a heavy cardstock. They show the layer order on the packaging, so it wasn't difficult to figure out. I just used the normal A plate on the bottom of the stack in place of the Big Shot spacer.

The starter kit is really a great deal, since you get SIX texture plates with it!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #1714
Stazon Splitcoast

Lisa, I paid $45 for mine, which is half price. If you have a Michael's you can use a coupon on it, which Joann's no longer allows.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #1715
Rubber Obsessor

I can't help but be even more tempted after reading only 3 pages of this thread!

Trouble is Cuttlebug isn't available in Australia yet - or if it is I can't find it!

My hubby is flying to the US on business in early February so I'm hoping to order one and get it sent to his US office so he can save me lots on postage.

So I'm trying to work out where to get it from. I'm slowly reading through pages but so far best value I've got is $69.99 with free postage within US from scrapbook101. Has anyone seen it cheaper elsewhere?

Many thanks.

www.jaynemercer.com
Old 12-28-2006, 02:24 AM   #1716
Rubber Obsessor

Meant to say that I haven't being in Australia I haven't any coupons etc.

www.jaynemercer.com
Old 12-28-2006, 06:20 AM   #1717
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I tried my new toys in my Sissix last night:

The embossing folders all worked beautifully, even the large swirly one...I just had to move it under the pressure plate, with the adaptor attached, one section at a time.

The alphabet dies did not work as well. The end letters on the plate were fine, but the ones in the middle of the plate would not cut through all the way. Maybe I need another shim under the cutting mat? One problem though: I ended up with two of the same plate and I'm missing one with the numbers 5-0. So I'll have to call Provocraft today!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #1718
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinks

Again...good for you girl. I think i would have thought nothing of driving as well. Welcome to the club!!

Lynn
Sorry I wasn't very clear... I meant that the embossing folders (e.g divine swirls) are not a true quarter sheet. When you pass a quarter sheet, the embossed design doesn't completely cover the sheet. It leaves out almost a 1/4 inch unembossed. Not sure if I'm saying correctly, LOL...
Btw, do you have any cards uploaded with Bow Frame folder? I saw this folder but no ideas ran in my head as to how to use it.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #1719
Rubber Obsessor

I experienced the same problem with the size of the embossing folder. Any ideas, except to cut the paper slightly smaller????
Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #1720
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardi73
I experienced the same problem with the size of the embossing folder. Any ideas, except to cut the paper slightly smaller????
I tried to re-run it with just the missed out space but it had a disconnected look, KWIM?