Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Cutters and Guillotines

I have a dilemma - I have a trusty old guilotine/rotary cutter that I love, and use all the time. However, it's getting tired, and is VERY squeaky, so I thought I'd treat myself to a new one, seeing as it's crimbo!!
So, I went out and bought myself a sparkly new Purple Cows 2 in 1 trimmer, got it home, and then found that it fills half my workspace and the rotary bit doesn't even cut through a piece of light cardstock. I can't get an accurate cut with it, and while in the middle of making a card, decided to go back to my trusty old squeaky cutter.

So the Purple cows one has gone back to the shop, but I want some help - what do you guys all use?

So, what would you recommend? I'm offering blog candy on my blog if you leave a comment on it, but would love to hear any helpful advice on here too.

http://madeonthefarm.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Making Memories Paper trimmer. I absolutely am in love with it. It cuts so neatly and cleanly (very sharp). I've had it for over a year and haven't had to sharpen it yet (built in sharpener, easy to take apart and use). It will survive up to 3000 cuts before you will need to sharpen it. It also folds down to 6" and comes with a magnetic 12" ruler. I keep it folded most of the time until I need to trim my 12" cs. Here's a link. If you have a Michael's nearby, I recommend you calling to see if they still carry it. If so, grab a coupon online or from one of the threads here and use it. It should cost you around $20-$25 with a coupon. Even though it's able to cut up to 2 pieces of cs at a time, I highly recommend you only use 1 piece of cs at a time to keep the blade in good shape. I use my SU! guillotine to cut thicker paper or multiple sheets. Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

brysmum.......I can recommend the Making Memories rotary cutter also. It is self sharpening, so there is no need to do anything with the blade. It has the full 12 inch base for cutting, but folds in half for storage. I also would not cut more than one sheet at a time.

I still use my Cricut trimmer for more precise cutting since it does have the guides on the little blade housing.

I have a guillotine cutter which I do use from time to time. I also use that with only one sheet at a time. I just don't trust the paper moving even a small bit. Too easy to slide while cutting if when holding the paper.

I like my Fiskars large 12 inch base rotary since it has the various blades for decorative cutting.

This may sound like a lot of cutters, but each one has a specific purpose that can't be gotten with the others.

Patti
Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the tonic guillotine cutter - the full size one. I love it - I can cut two pieces of SU cardstock at once! The full size is big - but worth it to me as I hate having a swing out arm at 5.5" - the dimension at which I cut most often. It's also self sharpening so I like not having to worry about replacing blades. I got mine online at Joann's with a coupon code and free shipping. HTH!
What's another word for synonym?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I bought the 2 in 1 Purple cows trimmer some time ago, same problem with the rotary trimmer. I never use it, but the guillotine cutter is very good. That I use all the time.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Tonic Guillotine full size for me. I love it, it was my best purchase that year.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Acme United Titanium Guillotine 12" Paper Trimmer

Does anyone have any experience with this paper trimmer? I'm in the market for a new one, and prefer a guillotine trimmer. One of the things that caught my eye on this one is the front-edge alignment feature, plus the paper cutting guide.

I'm wondering how many sheets it can cut at once, plus if it can be used for more heavy duty cutting. Also, is it self-sharpening?

If anyone has used this, please post and give me your opinion and experience with this trimmer.

Here's a link (+ it's on sale thru January!)

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/EP28511933.htm
Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I use the Tonic guillotine with 6" base. Definitely splurge for the 12" base if you don't plan on traveling with it. It's worth every penny!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Another vote for the MM Precision Trimmer...I love it.

I really like that I can use it open or folded, and both ways are solid and easy to use.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I use the X-Acto laser trimmer, guillotine cutter here:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz571/42/
I recommend it often, and absolutely LOVE it!! It is rather large, and I keep it in a separate space from my craft table. Off to the side on a kind of side table. But, the inconvenience of it's size is minimal compared to the frustrations over a cutter that doesn't cut straight/accurate measurements!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Question for those of you who have the Making Memories trimmer.... I just bought one on Thursday and it didn't come with any instructions (maybe they just don't?). Anyway, I love this thing so far, but I'm curious about the red button on the end. It looks like it should slide up, but what is it supposed to do? I thought initially it was to loosen the bar the cutter slides on in case you need to replace it or something, but mine slides about 1/4 inch and stops, so that's probably not it?

(Sorry for the highjack, but thanks for any info!)

Lisa
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

You only need to worry about that when you need to sharpen your blade. It depends on how often you use it. It's suppose to last up to 3000 cuts before you need to sharpen it. The red clasp works as a "stopper." Once you remove it, you can pull the metal bar out and pull the plastic grid (where you place your cs under) up and sharpen the blade by rolling it along the sharpener. Just remember to be careful when you sharpen the blade because my friend cut her finger somehow running the blade down the sharpener. Just a tip: Once in awhile, hold your trimmer upside down and tap out all the debris from the cs. HTH
Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I have a Carl cutter and am not that impressed with it. But my demo has one and loves hers...go figure.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Acme Titanium Paper Trimmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

I'm wondering how many sheets it can cut at once, plus if it can be used for more heavy duty cutting. Also, is it self-sharpening?

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/EP28511933.htm
I found out that this trimmer can cut up to 30 sheets at a time, so I'm assuming it's for heavy duty use. Plus it is a full 12" wide, even with the paper placement guide. And that it has a 15-year warranty. Still don't know if it's self-sharpening.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to check the price of this trimmer and it doesn't seem that it's self-sharpening because there are replacement blades. I do love the specs though. Seems like a very good heavy duty trimmer.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I have the tonic 12" with the 12" base, which is actually about 15" or so. I really don't have the space to leave it out on my desk so I put it beside my desk when I don't need it. I do absolutely love it have had many trimmers and this one is by far my favorite and the easiest to use. The best feature about it is that it has a ruler in the middle of the trimmer as well as the top so you can make sure you are totally lined up.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I recommend it often, and absolutely LOVE it!! It is rather large, and I keep it in a separate space from my craft table. Off to the side on a kind of side table. But, the inconvenience of it's size is minimal compared to the frustrations over a cutter that doesn't cut straight/accurate measurements!
I too have this paper cutter and absolutely love it. So easy to measure and there are actually "card" sizes drawn on the platform. What's nice about the laser line is if you want to trim close to an image you can see exactly where your cut is going to be. I purchased mine either at Staples or Office Max, but I believe it was Staples.

My new BLOG
Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a guillotine type cutter too and I love it. Have you tried to use WD40 on the squeeky part to see if you can keep him??

If mine died on me, I would just go get another similar one from the office supply store or SU. I am never going back to a smaller type trimmer. SU has a table top trimmer/guillotine type that people say work great.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubascrapperView Post
I too have this paper cutter and absolutely love it. So easy to measure and there are actually "card" sizes drawn on the platform. What's nice about the laser line is if you want to trim close to an image you can see exactly where your cut is going to be. I purchased mine either at Staples or Office Max, but I believe it was Staples.
Just before Christmas, I purchased this cutter at Office Max (got the last one my store had), but they are not carrying it anymore. I found it online here with free shipping: http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/EPI26234.html

I also have the Tonic 12" (lg. one), an MM Precision and two Carls and just gave away two Fiskars. The X-acto is actually my favorite one so far and it is not any bigger than my Tonic, in fact, because of the handle on the Tonic, it takes up more space!

Hope this helps you!

Pam
Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
You only need to worry about that when you need to sharpen your blade. It depends on how often you use it. It's suppose to last up to 3000 cuts before you need to sharpen it. The red clasp works as a "stopper." Once you remove it, you can pull the metal bar out and pull the plastic grid (where you place your cs under) up and sharpen the blade by rolling it along the sharpener. Just remember to be careful when you sharpen the blade because my friend cut her finger somehow running the blade down the sharpener. Just a tip: Once in awhile, hold your trimmer upside down and tap out all the debris from the cs. HTH
THANKS!!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

I have a fiscars 12" rotary cutter and it frustrates me everytime I need to cut something to between 4.25 and 6 inches wide because there are virtually no guide marks. I either have to do the reverse math and cut away part of the paper so that what's left is what I need or I have to round up and then cut away the difference (like to get a 4.75" wide piece, I have to cut to 5" and then cut 1/4" away from that.) I end up wit A LOT of skinny strips!

If I had to do it all again I would get the making memories cutter, but right now I have so many other things that I want and I've figured out how to make this one work for me.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I went to check the price of this trimmer and it doesn't seem that it's self-sharpening because there are replacement blades. I do love the specs though. Seems like a very good heavy duty trimmer.
I'm looking at the guillotine trimmer instead of the rotary trimmer. Thanks, anyway.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I use the Tonic guillotine with 6" base. Definitely splurge for the 12" base if you don't plan on traveling with it. It's worth every penny!
I have on of these too and LOVE it. I also don't have room for a bigger size and this one works beautifully, even on PTI paper. I highly recommend it

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

I use my SU! guillotine to cut thicker paper or multiple sheets. Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Can you tell me what brand the guillotine cutter is?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I love the laser line!!! Do you have/recommend the wood or plastic model?
Thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up agreed

I love this one also, especially the folding factor, and that it has card sizes marked on the platform to cut accordingly

Quote:

I have the Making Memories Paper trimmer. I absolutely am in love with it. It cuts so neatly and cleanly (very sharp). I've had it for over a year and haven't had to sharpen it yet (built in sharpener, easy to take apart and use). It will survive up to 3000 cuts before you will need to sharpen it. It also folds down to 6" and comes with a magnetic 12" ruler. I keep it folded most of the time until I need to trim my 12" cs. Here's a link. If you have a Michael's nearby, I recommend you calling to see if they still carry it. If so, grab a coupon online or from one of the threads here and use it. It should cost you around $20-$25 with a coupon. Even though it's able to cut up to 2 pieces of cs at a time, I highly recommend you only use 1 piece of cs at a time to keep the blade in good shape. I use my SU! guillotine to cut thicker paper or multiple sheets. Good Luck!

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone have the 2-in1 Purple Cow paper cutter? I was wondering how easy it is to get the paper in with a guillotine on one side and a rotary blade on the other. Also, if it's any good?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

I had one - for about 2 days, then got fed up with the rotary side not cutting anything thicker than a thin piece of paper, and the whole thing almost filled my craft room - check out my blog candy/survey thing that I'm doing on cutters - in the quest to find the best one!!!
jenny
http://madeonthefarm.blogspot.com/
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks!
I have enough "Great Rewards" points to get the SU one, but I just can't decide! I do a lot of cutting for camps and wanted something with a "stop" for cutting smaller pieces... right now I just stick a stack of post-it notes on the cutter.
I have the 12" Fiskars rotary, the personal Fiskars, and a Carl, which I don't like because I can't raise the arm and you have to slide the paper under it and you can't cut small pieces because you can't see them.
I don't want to have to get another cutter!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

I've started to use just a metal ruler, knife and mat - I'm finding this is the most accurate and compact way to cut, but I still miss my old rotary though!