Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A Crop-a-dile story!

Okay, so I was all excited to be getting a Crop-a-dile. I got it from Joann.com, using a coupon. It arrived and sat on the table for a few days until my friend came over to scrap.
****Warning: this part may not make sense unless you actually own or have seen a Crop-a-dile! Of course, it may not make sense anyway!****

We cut it out of the case. I told her that we needed to follow the directions carefully because of another thread I had read here. So, we're reading the directions, and the first thing they say to do is adjust the depth in order to punch a hole. We look at the markings on one piece that say 3/16" and the other that say 1/8", turn the knobs, but when we put a piece of paper into the front and squeeze the handles we can't get a hole. An indent or two, but no hole.

Okay, so, forget that, instead we decide to try to set an eyelet. That is, after all, why I bought the thing. So I'm looking at the directions and they give setting for the top and bottom depending on what size/kind of eyelet/snap you're trying to set. The settings are either letters or numbers, each showing a picture of a box. And I just couldn't get it. I finally asked my friend how the heck we were supposed to get the setter to look like *the picture*. After a few times going around discussing it, she started laughing, because she finally understood, and then she showed me how to turn the cubes on the top and bottom of the setter! I didn't know they turned! I felt like an idiot!

Fast forward to the next day, when she came over in the afternoon to do some more work. She wanted to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig but I had thrown away the directions so we turned to SCS to find them, and found a great video. (Of course! All the answers to life are found on SCS!) Then I decided to find directions on the Crop-a-dile to figure out how the heck you punch a hole. And, of course, I found a video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04486862778848

Five seconds into the video, I busted out laughing. I couldn't believe how *stupid* we both were! It never occurred to either of us that the hole punch, or punches, rather, were the big pieces of metal sticking out of the top and bottom of the Crop-a-dile!

*****Sorry if I didn't do a good job explaining it. It's possible that you just had to be there!*****
So we go back to the table, armed with our newly acquired knowledge, and, bing-bang-boom, punch a 1/8" hole and set an eyelet in two seconds flat.

I have to say that I LOVE THIS THING! It is SO easy to set an eyelet. I usually use brads because I can't stand getting out my kit and my hole puncher and pounding. I have a Silent Setter but it takes a lot of force to use and doesn't always smoosh the back of the eyelet down. The Crop-a-dile was quick and easy, and IMO hardly took any squeezing at all. I am VERY PLEASED with my purchase.

And that's my Crop-a-dile story! Thanks for listening!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK, I bought one yesterday and have yet to bust it out of the package....Now I can't wait to see what you are talking about! Even without knowing, it sounds like something I would do. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I'm with you, this has got to be one of the greatest inventions. I too, did a few idiotic things when I first got it, and it really is so simple once you know what you are doing.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Don't fret...I was at my local stamp store and we all did the same thing! Although I have to admit...it only took us about 15 minuites to find the hole punches! ROTFL!!!! TFS!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Yes, well, I'm glad we weren't the only ones! I'll have to tell her when I see her tomorrow -- maybe it will make her feel better, too!

Someone in a review elsewhere commented that the handles were "too large". I, too, thought so, because they are larger than your average hole punch handles. However, I do have small hands and I really had no problem gripping the Crop-a-dile and/or squeezing it shut. So I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Another comment I read said that the Crop-a-dile doesn't really flatten down the back of the eyelet. Does anyone want to comment on this? I haven't had that experience yet but we only did a few test eyelets today.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for that video clip and the warning of what not to do. Whenever I get around to getting one I'll be so smart!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got one recently and it's amazing. I've gone through the whole progression of the eyelet phase. From when they were just starting to be shown at conventions to pounding out the hole and then using one of the cone shaped flateners then onto the more specific flateners. Then on to all of the assorted snapping devices to the silent setter. I have to say that so far from my limited use of it I'm liking it quite well.

When you first get one READ THE DIRECTIONS and then do it again. Maybe three times would be good because honestly I think the package directions aren't quite as clear as they should be. It took me and my dad a few times before we totally understood exactly what we needed to do. I think the handles are a bit on the large size so it's a little more awkward than I would like but I can still use it just fine.

Korillian hmmm I haven't had any problems so far with it not flattening the backs. I think I was using some of the more difficult eyelets memory makers probably. (they are all in a clear plastic box so I don't know for absolute sure) Happy punching and setting. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Mine is in the hands of Mr. Brown at this moment. I expect it to arrive this week. Thank you for posting this. I'm trying to understand, but I've never seen one "in person". I got it on my sister-in-law's recommendation. She loves it. I'm going to watch the video now. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Before I discovered Crop-a-dile, I had completely given up on eyelets. The hammer and all that pounding made me feel like Wilma Flintstone! I was really excited when a friend told me about Crop-a-dile. I love it!
I've been using it for a few weeks now with no problems. Still have to pull out the "Flintstone" set in some cases where the Crop-a-dile won't reach. When that happens, I usually talk myself into a little redesign.

Love who you are, your art will follow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm LOL reading your story! I did the exact same thing - only I didn't read the directions first, so that could have added to my stupidity I ended up posting some pictures to the Tool part of my blog gallery, just because I was having such a hard time figuring out how to be able to punch in the same spot on numerous stacks of paper. It allowed me to make an awesome little paper deck that I carry with me when I'm out shopping for "coordinating" items.

Thanks for the good laugh AND the video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I am pretty sure I would have done the same thing but now I have seen the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Funny story, aren't the instructions clear as mud!!! I read and reread the package instructions too many times to count and went to the website and read those. Only after trying and trying and cutting an eyelet in half, (vertically! from the top to the bottom) did I finally figure out how to use it! And I'm such a dork after watching this video I just realized this has a hole punch?! I was still using my hand punches! But I used this for snaps the 1st time Friday and it worked great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I have one and love it. It is great for setting eyelets. I used it the other day to punch a hole in chipboard and it literally took no effort at all to punch through. Love it!!!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

I went out searching for one of these today. I finally found it at the 3rd store i went to. Man, it's a lot bigger than I imagined. I was all set to get it- it seems amazing, and husband said "too expensive"

I'm really bummed now. He hates the hammering, but apparently it's going to have to stay.

You are all lucky girls to get to have one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

After reading this thread, I ordered one today from Scrapbook Warehouse.com, where they are currently 35% off ($17-something). I got lucky on my google search because this site has a lot of other things I regularly use, and all discounted pretty well. Plus flat 5.99 shipping. We'll see how the shipping/service is, but I am excited to try out this new toy!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I picked one up at my local craft store. After punching a hole in chip board like it was butter, I was sold. Punching thru mutiple pages is sooo easy. And setting eyelets are easy also. I've been using up my old memories eyelets, you know the ones made of metal. This thing flattens very nicely. I found if you use the table top for support and push down, it's much easier then squeezing. Hope that makes sense. I love mine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I just got mine at Michael's with a 40% off coupon. They just got them in. I think the regular price was $26.99. I haven't tried it yet, but I am anxious to get it out of the package!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

The CAD is awesome, like everyone says it cuts through anything like "budda". At our last stamp camp I was showing the girls how it goes through an old gift card. They could hardly believe it and now it is riddled with holes.
I must agree when I first got it, it was just a little intimidating and then trying to figure out where the holes were punched was quite the epiphany moment.
But I love it!!!!

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OM GOSH! that video is AWESOME! do you guys know that the guy talking is Andrew Hiller... inventor OF the Crop-a-dile and CEO of We R Memory Keepers!?!? He is the nicest guy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

WOW ~ I have to reply to this thread so when I get my Crop-A-Dile in the mail this week, I�ll know how to work it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes