Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut vs. Silhouette

With the recent Provo Craft issues, I am considering selling my Cricut Expression and investing in a Silhouette SD. Has anyone else done this? I want to make sure there were no regrets before I do it! I have the Expression, tons of extras and probably 35 or cartridges so it would be terrible to regret selling it! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I am thinking about trying to save up to buy the Silhouette before I sell my Cricut if money permits! We will see how that goes! I had bought chipboard to cut in my Cricut a llloooonnnnngggg time ago and still haven't used it, so I'm guessing I'm probably not missing out on much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I have both machines and enjoy them both for different reasons. I prefer the expression because the larger size options when I am cutting. I like my silhouette because I can so many different designs and with so many generous ladies out there designing cuts and giving them for free...the supply is endless!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have a Cricut - but I did just buy a Silhouette SD and I absolutely love it. I do also have a Pazzles Inspiration so if I need a wider cut I can still do it. I'm able to cut smooth Bazzil in two passes and I get a very detailed, intricate cut. I find the cutting accuracy of the Silhouette to be superior and when you toss in the print and cut feature it's the icing on the cake.

Teri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a cricut, and a new gazelle, (bought because I use 3rd party software) but I do want a silhouette cutter just for their dead on print and cut to be used on printable vinyl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacque1263View Post
I have both machines and enjoy them both for different reasons. I prefer the expression because the larger size options when I am cutting. I like my silhouette because I can so many different designs and with so many generous ladies out there designing cuts and giving them for free...the supply is endless!!
where to find these free designs for silhouette?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

You don't need anything else to go with the sil other than make the cut - which now has a silhouette plug-in in beta! So you have access to all the .svgs you want!!!!!!

Run to the make-the-cut forum to grab the new silhouette plugin:
Silhouette

watch this video on how to use it: Screenr - dwor: How to use the new Silhouette SD Plug-In in 3.2.1 of Make The Cut. If you are using 3.3 of MTC, please disreguard.

after you watch the video - read this post: Silhouette

and get the whole program here: Make the Cut!� - Offical Website - Greatest cutter software yet created!

The silhouette is one tremendous machine!

Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I sold my Cricut and don't regret it. I never bought a single cartridge and only used those that came with my machine and I had SCAL. I wanted the larger mat but found I wasn't using it. Overstock.com had the best deal when I bought mine (189.99 and included $10 gift card to the silhouette store and shipping was $1).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have both and love both. I use my silhouette to do most of my free design cutting, but I find that there are certain things that I want that are only available with the cricut, and sometimes I find it easier to cut characters out with my cricut because they are already done out in layers when I don't feel like messing with the silhouette software. I do find advantages to both and like having the bigger mat with the expression. I really think that it is a matter of personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really want a Silhoutte, have Cricut which love, but if it ever messes up will be buying Silhoutte, but still good for now ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Looking for MORE info......I think my brain is going to explode. Hubby would like to get a die cutting machine for Christmas (how sweet he is) He has already ordered the Cricut, which arrived today, from Costco. It was a bundle for 199.99. Not sure what the other things are but will do more research on that later. I've just learned, however, about the lawsuit and no more SCAL or MTC for the Cricut. I like the ability to get things from where-ever there are files available. I also sell my cards to a small boutique and I just learned that with the Cricut cartridges, you are not allowed to 'sell' their product. Not sure where I stand with all of this now but the Silhouette Cameo is looking pretty good. Any thoughts, input, direction, humor would be appreciated.
Thanks all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an older Silhouette. I like it, when I use it.

There are several Silhouette / Wishblade user groups on Yahoo where you can get help and some tutorials if needed. And, once you figure out your software, you can turn most anything into a cutting file with practice. (I've seen others do it, I've not used it enough to figure things out. Maybe that should be my New Year's Resolution.)

As mentioned, there's a bit of a learning curve with Silhouette, even for someone like me who is fairly computer savvy. It takes practice and I don't practice enough. I bought Fun Time software, though I don't remember why. I *think* it might be because I heard it was easier to "weld" letters with it or maybe just easier to use. Not sure.

One big downside (for me) ... there are no Disney files for Silhouette! Cricut owns the rights to those. But the major down side to Silhouette is buying the precut stuff from the Silhouette America company. You are allowed to download your purchased files up to three times. That's not a problem. The problem is that there is no way to find your stored files to back them up. Why? Because they don't want you to trade them with other people. The problem? Lose a hard drive and you've lost everything! I've had it happen twice. If anyone has figured out a work-around for this problem, please, please, please let me know!!!

I don't have a Cricut, but many of my friends do. I love the simplicity of the Cricut. You choose the file, press a few buttons and it cuts. Easy peasy! I chose to stay away from the Cricut because I didn't want to pay $60-80 for each cartridge. The prices have come down quite a bit, but the cost can still add up unless you find a killer deal. Also, with a Cricut, you are stuck using whatever files are available on your cartridges. On the other hand, they now have a lot of cartridges with tons of nice cutting files. And, if you're going to a crop, a Cricut means you don't have to drag along a computer. And the Cricuts I've seen make a LOT less noise than my Silhouette, which sounds like a grinder.

So, I'd say decide what kind of crafter you are. If you have the patience to play around with the computer and the ability to quickly learn new software, and you enjoy creating your own cutting files or modifying files others have made, then the Silhouette might be for you. If you don't have patience, or attend crops but don't have a laptop computer, then you might prefer the Cricut.

And if you do choose the Cricut, think hard about the getting the Gypsy. I've heard too many people complain about it, especially the inability to unlink their cartridges, which limits the ability to see your used stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I have an older Silhouette. I like it, when I use it.

The problem is that there is no way to find your stored files to back them up. Why? Because they don't want you to trade them with other people. The problem? Lose a hard drive and you've lost everything! I've had it happen twice. If anyone has figured out a work-around for this problem, please, please, please let me know!!!

This is my very first post and I don't even HAVE my Cameo yet (UPS says it will be here tomorrow!!) but I did run across some info that might help. I don't know what version of the software you are running but I found mention of how to back up your studio here:
(Grrr! Won't let me post an actual link because I haven't made three posts yet) It's silhouettecuts.com/Backup.htm (copy and paste)

I'm using Win7 with the latest version of the freebie Sil Studio software and the path to that file is a bit different for me.

It's Computer>OS(C: )>Program Files (x86)>Silhouette Studio>Resources>Resources

I don't know if any of this works or not because I haven't tried it and I'm pretty much NOT computer savvy but if someone who is could figure it out, that would be great! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you, Melissa for so much info. I get little bits and pieces of info (love/hate). I'm trying to compile all of this and see if it can help me make a decision. I also love the idea of the ease of use of the Cricut. While I can make my way around on the computer I would NOT say that I am computer savvy, but I do have the best 'geek man' that I love, here with me. I'm sure he can't wait to get a million questions on how to work something with the Silhouette. (He is, by far, the most patient man alive......I want to keep him that way) The Cricut Expression is the one that was delivered already but now I'm just concerned about cost of cartridges, able to use the cuts to sell cards/crafts, and I've seen some of the circles that are cut and they aren't round.....hmmmmm. So my quest for a decision continues but I'm running out of time.
Thanks again for your detailed response,
Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my Silhouette. The customer service is wonderful and I love being able to "shop" the library anytime I like. I like being able to buy designs in the store or import my own.
The print and cut feature is so much fun to use!
I like that the software upgrades have been free so I'm always getting the newest machine even though I have an original Silhouette. I've just ordered the Cameo and if it is anywhere near as wonderful as my original, I'm going to love it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie559View Post
I also love the idea of the ease of use of the Cricut.
This is a very important factor. My wife uses only cartridges; she won't mess with the software we have for the Cricut.

Quote:

I'm just concerned about cost of cartridges,
The real price for cartridges is ~$30. Michael's has them at that price regularly, and you can find them online at that price. And around New Years, we picked up a bunch for ~$10. You get a lot of nice cuts, well coordinated, easy to use. People like to knock the cartridges, but we've been very happy with our collection.

Quote:

able to use the cuts to sell cards/crafts,
Cricut has an "angel policy" that "authorize you to sell up to 10,000 completed projects annually (i.e., cards, scrapbook pages, finished cakes), using cuts made with Cricut products". So I don't think that's an issue.

Quote:

and I've seen some of the circles that are cut and they aren't round.....hmmmmm.
I think cut quality varies from machine to machine.

One other detail to keep in mind is Print & Cut. This is where you print out a pretty graphic and then cut around it. Very useful for embellishments. If you are interested in doing print & cut, DON'T get the Cricut, get a Cameo. The Cameo has the best print & cut available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you, Barbara and PrincessMom for your reponses. I think I'm narrowing it down a bit more. Hopefully I'll be able to decide in the next couple of days so hubby can go shopping if I change my mind to the Silhouette.

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes