Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Smile Cricut & Cuttlebug

Can some-one help me please....Im a mad scrapbooker, I own a Pink Cricut Expression Machine, Im wanting to start embossing, has any-one used the cricut machine to emboss; or would it be worth while buying a Cuttlebug or something similar...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

There are 3 basic ways to do embossing. One is a metal or plastic template, light box and stylus. Okay for little things, time consuming for big things.

Along comes the Cuttlebug (and other machines soon followed). Using plates and positive and negative pieces of plastic (embossing folders) you can put your paper between the plastic, and roll it through the machine to press the image into the paper. Way entirely cool.

The Cricut embosses, but not like the Cuttlebug. The Cricut emboss kits basically make embossing folders. Pick your design, follow the kit instructions and you get the positive and negatives to then run through the Cuttlebug (or similar machine). I haven't used the embossing kits so I can't say how they work.

I have heard of people coming up with tricks to emboss just the image on paper. But that is like an electronic version of the stylus and metal template. I haven't tried this either.

Truthfully, I have a bunch of plastic embossing folders from Cuttlebug and a Cuttlebug machine and I just use those for my backgrounds.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

I would recommend getting a separate machine - Cuttlebug, Big Shot, Big Kick, etc. - for the nice embossed images you see on OP projects. I have a Cricut but don't think this is the easiest/fastest way to emboss a card front. The CB can be found at a really reasonable prioce - bought mine online for $35.00 + shipping several years ago. I ordered only the machine since I want to choose the accessories I thought I would use. I comes with the basic items you need - 1 'A' plate, 2 'B' plates and 1 'C' plate. You can also use a coupon at JoAnn's, Michael's, etc.