Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #2321
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
Each jukebox only holds 6 carts at a time. You can connect up to 3 at once. So .... unless I bought 6 or 7 Jukeboxes and switched those out, I'm out of luck. I'd rather just switch the carts.
I believe I am with you there Shell!

I am a life artist and love it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #2322
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
I believe I am with you there Shell!

I keep trying to convince myself that I want or need the Jukebox, but every time I think about my 35 carts, I change my mind. Just isn't practical for me and won't save me any time. I have no idea what cart I'm going to use when I start playing .... uh, I mean, creating ....

Photography Site

Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #2323
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I agree. There's not enough room for all of my carts to be in at the same time, so it isn't really a time saver for me to have the jukebox. If I only had 18 or less carts, I'd definitely get it and plug them all in.
I havent used mine yet..Putting it under the tree and all but you can have DS check the juke box so when you do design you just put inthe carts you are using..for my last Book I used 4 maybe 5 carts fro he whole baby scrap book .I fifgure using it this way the Juke box will save me time and I got it during michaels sale. DS checks Juke box when youstart up so my idea is to design the pages I want and images then save them and then load juke box and the restart it before I cut . then I would know which cartridges I am using and have it loaded correctly...am I thinking correctly...I know I usually dont use more than 4-5 carts at a time.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #2324
Inking Addict

Default You need a cartridge to use SCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAKAmom View Post
Do you HAVE to have a cartridge to be able to use SCAL?
I just ordered both but I bought the cricut without a cartridge.
YES, there must be a cartridge in the cricut to use SCAL. (sorry to be the bearer of bad news)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #2325
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostvig View Post
I havent used mine yet..Putting it under the tree and all but you can have DS check the juke box so when you do design you just put inthe carts you are using..for my last Book I used 4 maybe 5 carts fro he whole baby scrap book .I fifgure using it this way the Juke box will save me time and I got it during michaels sale. DS checks Juke box when youstart up so my idea is to design the pages I want and images then save them and then load juke box and the restart it before I cut . then I would know which cartridges I am using and have it loaded correctly...am I thinking correctly...I know I usually dont use more than 4-5 carts at a time.

It's all in preference. I just can't see me feeling it's a priority *for me*. If I had 18 or fewer carts, I would definitely have to have it...... or 3 of them.

Photography Site

Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #2326
Insane Embellisher

Default It's Here!!! It's Here!!!!

Hi!
The Expression DH bought me for Christmas arrived today. I got to take it out of the box, play with it, make sure it works and then back in the box it went. Until Christmas morning. It's such a change from the O-Bug. Now, I've really gotten a lot of use out the O-Bug for this past year, but "WOW" what a difference between the two machines. So many cool features, and no more size restrictions. Yeah!!!!

I also go news that my job is in jeopardy due to the education cuts here in California. So there will not be any cartridge purchases in 2009 as we try to save, just in case. I'm not alone in this situation, so we'll just make the best of things. I will hopefully enjoy the rebate cartridges so that will be a nice treat.

Happy Cutting to all
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #2327
Matboard Maniac

BTW-- our Hobby Lobby had the StoryBook cart for $39.99 sale!! ONE of the best carts!! Great price!!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 AM   #2328
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAKAmom View Post
Do you HAVE to have a cartridge to be able to use SCAL?
I just ordered both but I bought the cricut without a cartridge.
yes you need a cartridge but any one will do, they are on sale this week for $40 at acmoore. I would bet a nice shape one like paperdolls or zoobaloo, but that's jut me and I have 3 little rugrats to scrap LOL! You will be all set with alphabets with scal since you can use all of your computers fonts. Don't forget to download the free trial of Design studio since you will need that to update your firmware. Stp by my blog because I have lots of free files for scal users. Here is yesterday's free file inspired by a felt bucket I saw at Target (It look a lot like a su die too!) Good luck and feel free to pm me with questions!
Attached Thumbnails
mybucket1.jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #2329
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2 View Post
Hi!
The Expression DH bought me for Christmas arrived today. I got to take it out of the box, play with it, make sure it works and then back in the box it went. Until Christmas morning. It's such a change from the O-Bug. Now, I've really gotten a lot of use out the O-Bug for this past year, but "WOW" what a difference between the two machines. So many cool features, and no more size restrictions. Yeah!!!!

I also go news that my job is in jeopardy due to the education cuts here in California. So there will not be any cartridge purchases in 2009 as we try to save, just in case. I'm not alone in this situation, so we'll just make the best of things. I will hopefully enjoy the rebate cartridges so that will be a nice treat.

Happy Cutting to all
So sorry to hear about the cuts! If you get SCAL you can cut all of the fonts on your computer for $70, it's like thousands of new carts! You can download the free trial to see for yourself, it will only work for 10 days and it will cut 3 lines through your design as a watermark untill you pay for it but it is amazing! Think of all the free dingbat fonts! check them out here.

I'm gettin the bir "E" for christmas and this is getting hooked up to my PC and the baby is going to my craft room! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #2330
Inking Addict

i'm getting the orig. cricut for Christmas with Design Studio, will I be able to cut items smaller than the 1 inch, or do I need the Expression in order to do that?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #2331
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2 View Post
i'm getting the orig. cricut for Christmas with Design Studio, will I be able to cut items smaller than the 1 inch, or do I need the Expression in order to do that?

As long as you have the DS, you can size it to whatever you want.

Photography Site

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #2332
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I should clarify a point. I've had the O-Bug since last Thanksgiving. I currently own 24 cartridges, and hopefully 2 more with the rebate from Provo Craft. I also have the Design Studio, I am not cartridge poor, LOL!!!! I just have to watch my craft spending next year in case of layoffs or whatever happens with school funding.
I find hooking the o-bug up to the computer a bit time consuming, since I don't have a dedicated space. The family uses the computer so I have to carry the bug to the computer. The same will happen with the "E", but I can plan for that sort of stuff.
I regards to the O-Bug, I upgraded to the "E" because I could dial sizes, move around the larger sheet of paper and with the extra options, I'll get more use out of the machine. I am keeping the O-Bug, I have the mats and such, and there isn't much of a resale market for them. Also, I can take it to school if I need cuts for the classroom.
Sorry to give the impression that I didn't have much, I'm blessed with an awesome DH and lots of great toys to keep me busy.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #2333
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It's all in preference. I just can't see me feeling it's a priority *for me*. If I had 18 or fewer carts, I would definitely have to have it...... or 3 of them.
well I will do my best enxt year to change your mind until you *need* to have them...LOL
this is the year to change my siggy...I hope... I think!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #2334
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
yes you need a cartridge but any one will do, they are on sale this week for $40 at acmoore.... Here is yesterday's free file inspired by a felt bucket I saw at Target (It look a lot like a su die too!) Good luck and feel free to pm me with questions!
Very pretty
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #2335
Stazon Splitcoast

newbie here - I only have Plantin alpha cartridge ATM - Other stuff on order but not here yet -

Am I able to cut out "Happy Christmas" going down the edge of the card? without anything but my cricut and cartridge? or do I just need to wait for my computer software to get here?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #2336
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anyone have some good hints on the best way of updating the Designer Studio Software for the newer cartridges?

thanks rita
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #2337
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp2stamp2 View Post
Does anyone have some good hints on the best way of updating the Designer Studio Software for the newer cartridges?

thanks rita
Rita, go to www.cricut.com and click on Design Studio. (I think it's at the top of the page.) Then download the August update. It's the newest one; they didn't change the name. It has all the new cartridges. They say to uninstall your present DS first, and that's what I did, but many people have installed the update without doing that. It worked perfectly for me. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #2338
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
newbie here - I only have Plantin alpha cartridge ATM - Other stuff on order but not here yet -

Am I able to cut out "Happy Christmas" going down the edge of the card? without anything but my cricut and cartridge? or do I just need to wait for my computer software to get here?
You will need the software for that.

Photography Site

Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #2339
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Rita, go to www.cricut.com and click on Design Studio. (I think it's at the top of the page.) Then download the August update. It's the newest one; they didn't change the name. It has all the new cartridges. They say to uninstall your present DS first, and that's what I did, but many people have installed the update without doing that. It worked perfectly for me. Good luck!

I've found that people that uninstall first have less trouble than those that don't. It's not hard to uninstall, and you just install it again as soon as the uninstall is done.

Photography Site

Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #2340
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
If you have the Expression machine (which I am assuming you do since you have the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge), you can download the trial version of the software and be able to cut with that cartridge. (You'll need an A/B USB cord, which is the same type of cord your printer uses.)

http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

They've updated the page now to show there is a December '08 update available.

Direct link to the download file:
http://content.cricut.com/b/download...SInstaller.exe
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #2341
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you so much for the replies - would you believe it that after I posted my software finally showed up thanks to the Brown Van Man. I still haven't had time to look though - YIKES!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #2342
Total Quack

Quote:
Thank you so much for the replies - would you believe it that after I posted my software finally showed up thanks to the Brown Van Man. I still haven't had time to look though - YIKES!

Yippee!!! Have a great time with it. It's a really awesome tool.

Photography Site

Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #2343
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
My Cricut is coming today . I ordered the DS a couple days later so hopefully it'll be here by Friday!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #2344
Polyshrink Goddess

You'll have so much fun with your bug!

I cut out pillow boxes from acetate sheets the other night to make litle table favors for Christmas--came out wonderful! I think that it's the last project before Christmas comes--at least I hope so.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #2345
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Za View Post
You'll have so much fun with your bug!

I cut out pillow boxes from acetate sheets the other night to make litle table favors for Christmas--came out wonderful! I think that it's the last project before Christmas comes--at least I hope so.
Did you use the Wedding cart for these? I want to make some but couldn't convince myself to buy that cart since I only like 2 images on it ;( - the pillow box was one...
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #2346
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Cloe! No, I didn't have the Wedding Cart. Someone on the message board at Cricut.com had a .cut file that they were sharing. It worked well--probably not as well as the one on the actual cartridge, but well enough for me. Do a search over there for 'pillow box' and you should be able to find it.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #2347
Insane Embellisher

Help! My PC died a few days ago (maybe a week or more ago - I've lost track of time)... in any case I had to start fresh by wiping it clean and now when I'm trying to use my E the DSS doesn't see it. The PC knows something is connected and turned on but it is having a problem with the "USB to Serial Converter Driver". anyone know how to fix it? Maybe Mrs. IT (Shell?)
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #2348
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hi Cloe! No, I didn't have the Wedding Cart. Someone on the message board at Cricut.com had a .cut file that they were sharing. It worked well--probably not as well as the one on the actual cartridge, but well enough for me. Do a search over there for 'pillow box' and you should be able to find it.
Great thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #2349
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

hmmmmm... I did a search on 'pillow box' but didn't find anything????
Old 12-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #2350
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks Jeanette - I was looking in the wrong place on the site. It downloaded beautifully. Now I can play with my new cartridges! Also, there is now a December Update available.

Happy Stamping and Scrapping

rita
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #2351
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu View Post
Help! My PC died a few days ago (maybe a week or more ago - I've lost track of time)... in any case I had to start fresh by wiping it clean and now when I'm trying to use my E the DSS doesn't see it. The PC knows something is connected and turned on but it is having a problem with the "USB to Serial Converter Driver". anyone know how to fix it? Maybe Mrs. IT (Shell?)

Hmmmm ... have you shut down completely and restarted a few minutes later?

Photography Site

Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #2352
Stampin' Fool

Please help! I got my toy today! I tried to make a cut using the top note from the accent essentials cart and it didn't cut through. I had it on maximum pressure. What am I doing wrong?

I used Pacific Point SU! cardstock. Now my mat has some blue stuck to it. If I cut in white cardstock, will it now get blue spots from the mat? Is there a way to remove the blue from the mat without removing all the adhesive?

I read someone's suggestion to stick the mat to your jeans so it will lose some of it's stickyness and I did that (I had sweat pants on, not jeans) and it still seems too sticky. I might try doing it again.

Any advice would be appreciated!

It's after midnight so I will go to bed now and try again in the morning.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #2353
Inking Addict

I just upgraded to the Expressions (which I am IN LOVE WITH BTW) but I am having trouble with the cut settings. Even when I set it on the highest pressure and blade depth at 6 it still will not cut all the way through SU cardstock! I have to cut it twice. This was never an issue with my Obug so I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or if I recieved a faulty blade housing? This is very frustrating as I have to multi-cut EVERYTHING! Anyone have any input? Should I call Provo Craft?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #2354
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampermomof2 View Post
Please help! I got my toy today! I tried to make a cut using the top note from the accent essentials cart and it didn't cut through. I had it on maximum pressure. What am I doing wrong?

I used Pacific Point SU! cardstock. Now my mat has some blue stuck to it. If I cut in white cardstock, will it now get blue spots from the mat? Is there a way to remove the blue from the mat without removing all the adhesive?

I read someone's suggestion to stick the mat to your jeans so it will lose some of it's stickyness and I did that (I had sweat pants on, not jeans) and it still seems too sticky. I might try doing it again.

Any advice would be appreciated!

It's after midnight so I will go to bed now and try again in the morning.

Thanks in advance!
There is a dial on the green blade housing, turn it up to 3-4, SU card is hard to cut but changing the depth should work. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #2355
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
hmmmmm... I did a search on 'pillow box' but didn't find anything????
Here is one, lots of good stuff on her blog and most is made with the george cart and DS: http://www.paperscissorsinc.com/2008...nd-george.html
Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #2356
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hmmmm ... have you shut down completely and restarted a few minutes later?
Yes, did that 3 times but it didn't work
Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #2357
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Here is one, lots of good stuff on her blog and most is made with the george cart and DS: http://www.paperscissorsinc.com/2008...nd-george.html
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #2358
Total Quack

Quote:
There is a dial on the green blade housing, turn it up to 3-4, SU card is hard to cut but changing the depth should work. Good luck!

I keep mine at 6.

Photography Site

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #2359
Total Quack

Quote:
Yes, did that 3 times but it didn't work

Hmmmmm.... Since I'm not there, I can't really diagnose the problem very well. I think I'd call Cricut to see what they said.

Sorry. Wish I could help more!!!

Photography Site

Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #2360
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hmmmmm.... Since I'm not there, I can't really diagnose the problem very well. I think I'd call Cricut to see what they said.

Sorry. Wish I could help more!!!
Just got off the phone with them.... not much help. Lady said she'd get her Techy guy to call me back. In the mean time I decided to try the other USB ports I have on the back of the PC (for some reason she told me not to use the ones on the front)... in any case the 1st 3 all said they needed "USB Serial Converter" (that's the window that popped up as soon as I turned the bug on)... then the NEW HARDWARE wizard launched ... did it's thing to look for the driver but it couldn't. Then on the 4th port it said it needed a "USB <-> Serial", New Hardware Wizard popped up again and since it was called something different it found it!! How stupid and good! But that really URKS me! The port I had it in initially was the same one I had used before I 'restored my PC to factory settings' last week, so it should have worked. My concern now is that if something happens again I'll be out of ports (which by the way work fine with other devices - I checked just to be sure). I checked the MS site and didnt' find anything for a USB to Serial Converter Driver so not sure where to look to find one to have on hand just in case i need it.

Any of this make sense?

If and when the Cricut Techy guy calls I'll have to ask him what to do in the future - my guess is that he'll tell me to call back when it happens - regardless of the fact that I want to be proactive to reduce down time.

Now after all that my bug works with the DSS and I HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT I WAS GOING TO CUT/WORK ON! urg!!!