Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #41
Inking Addict

The best new product was a malleable wood.  I was not impressed with Creativation this year.  I guess I have so many products I am not using or am donating to a local school art teacher, that I thought it was all a lot of the same.  I make mini albums and cards so I wanted to see more paper lines.  Maybe they gave the show a pass this year.  Yes, I did see G45 and Stamperia.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
joniworx and BBBetwixt like this post.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #42
Matboard Maniac

I love interactive cards, so for me the new Lawn Fawn magic Iris die will be a must have. By the time it gets here to little old NZ, there will be heaps of samples made with it already.

I'm not so much into inking techniques, so will pass on alloys and embossing glazes etc. I have a few of the oxides, and love the blended backgrounds, but that's as far as my inking techniques go.

I loved the look of the Hero Arts layering sets, especially the lavender fields one. But again, not sure if we'll be able to get it here, so will have to look with envy.
cheermom, ajmurdock and joniworx like this post.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #43
Kookie Creator

Well, just to add a different company into the discussion <G>, I like Lawn Fawn a lot - and their new Feb release is HUGE!  They are one of the leaders in interactive dies and their newest one, Magic Iris Die cuts - opens like the iris in a camera, looks amazing and is definitely on my wish list.  I like how they continually support their interactives by releasing new sets to go with them.  Some of their new releases go with their older Reveal Wheel sets (think spin the wheel, see a new message or image in the window), and a new "Say What?" set for spring.  I know not everyone is into cutesy, but with nieces growing up, and a family who is always looking to see what new thing Auntie Joni has brought this time in a card, I enjoy showing off a little, plus I really like making the interactive sets.

The new embossing glazes from TH caught my eye, as did the new QuietFire (small Canadian company) gilding powders.  They released five last year - gorgeous and have five more coming out this year.  Definitely a must have - check them out!

I think yellows are hard - hardest imo to find just the right one.  I get being on the lookout for the perfect one.  Colorbox, I think it was, a long time ago, had one that I thought was really good, but they discontinued it, and when I ran out of the re-inker and my pad went dry I was SO sad.  I've not found it since.  

dancingpurplecat likes this post.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #44
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestamc View Post
The best new product was a malleable wood.  I was not impressed with Creativation this year.  I guess I have so many products I am not using or am donating to a local school art teacher, that I thought it was all a lot of the same.  I make mini albums and cards so I wanted to see more paper lines.  Maybe they gave the show a pass this year.  Yes, I did see G45 and Stamperia.

My sense was a lot of new paper lines are out or will be, as there always are, but they’re not a frequent choice for videos. 
Old 01-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #45
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLady View Post
I saw  WRMK has a new "Project Cart!" It's like the Rascog Carts, but they have trays you put your projects on. Being able to work on several projects at once. Making a way for you to have space on your desk, just take the tray off & begin to work on that particular project! NICE! AND WRMK is coming out with a Glass Mat, like the TH one--- only it is white & not black, & has the area for mixing paints etc. on too! The size is 16" x 22" (TH is 14" x 23") I like the white background better than the white. It is hard to see things on a black background. I've been mulling it over for years now on the TH one.... MAYBE, with the white background one by WRMK, I'll buy one? LOL
I use Crafter's Companion glass mat, I need a white background for these old eyeballs, I love it!
TLady likes this post.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #46
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post

May I ask what kind of yellow you’re looking for? 

I applaud Simon’s success, with help from Gina K. and others. Also Rina K., who’s in college (still?). I’m in my 60s - let’s hear it for the kiddos!  
As for his talking fast, I hadn’t noticed, maybe because slow talking causes me to shut down a video fast. It’s 100% fine to stop talking for a moment while waiting for the next step to narrate, and then speak normally. But to talk... like... this... to... match the video speed is nails on a blackboard. 

Or add fillers, like Laura Bassen does. But others love a blogger I no longer watch because of slow... talking. So YMMV.
Beth
A soft buttery yellow.  Hair fussing, makes me shut off a video faster than anything.
TLady likes this post.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #47
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpurplecat View Post

I use Crafter's Companion glass mat, I need a white background for these old eyeballs, I love it!

My old eyes with extra issues like the contrast with black - or putting dark pieces on the white side. Great that there are varieties since one size does not fit all (ask my clothes). 
Old 01-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #48
Glitter Guru

Quote:

A soft buttery yellow.  Hair fussing, makes me shut off a video faster than anything.

I feel your pain - have you looked at Lawn Fawn's Lawn Fundamentals in Butter? Or is that still a bit too yellow? I think of butter as more of a cream with the barest hint of yellow, and at one point meant to look for that but didn't. 

I hear you about the hair. 
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #49
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I've got those "old" eyes too! LOL Thanks for letting me know of another alternative, & that the white background is nice!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #50
Glitter Guru

Industrial workplace studies concluded that the most visually ergonomic color to work against is pale gray (no blue undertone) - like one of the light grays in a photography gray tone card. Black and white are extremes, even more so when reflective (glass). 

(We had to study that kind of stuff in a color program i was in.The international president/my old school instructor would have been appalled at our glass mats. But it's so smooth when blending inks onto cardstock!)

I'd buy a light gray glass mat in a heartbeat. 

Last edited by bjeans; 01-23-2020 at 03:14 AM..
cjzim and Paula in GA like this post.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #51
Crimping Master

Dina has a thread under Stamp Talk as well... In regards to TH alcohol ink blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
I have a blower too, and I meant to suggest just searching Amazon for a blower - they're common in camera or computer cleaning kits and not as expensive as Tim's branded one will be. I paid just over $2 for mine.
Thank for the suggestion Dina! 
I just ordered one on ebay $2.99 w/free shipping.  Previously, I purchased a baby nasal bulb aspirator for $3 from Target, but I haven't tried it out yet. 
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #52
Crimping Master

Quote:
Industrial workplace studies concluded that the most ergonomic color to work against is pale gray (no blue undertone) - like one of the light grays in a photography gray tone card. Black and white are extremes, even more so when reflective (glass). 

(We had to study that kind of stuff in a color program i was in.The international president/my old school instructor would have been appalled at our glass mats. But it's so smooth when blending inks onto cardstock!)

I have TH large glass mat in my studio, luv it for when I'm card making. For my paint station, I purchased a tempered glass cutting board 15 x 12 for under $6 at Walmart, perfect for my liquid medium messes. It sits on top of a large lazy susan covered with butcher paper.
grateful2bsaved and TLady like this post.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #53
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Industrial workplace studies concluded that the most visually ergonomic color to work against is pale gray (no blue undertone) - like one of the light grays in a photography gray tone card. Black and white are extremes, even more so when reflective (glass). 

Now, why don't the makers of these mats know this??? You'd think they'd check this all out! So, do you have one mat or the other???
Old 01-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #54
Die Cut Diva

Look what I found: A Gray Tempered Glass Cutting Board---
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vance-15-X-12-inch-Gray-Graphic-Surface-Saver-Tempered-Glass-Cutting-Board-81512GG/594237292
Old 01-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #55
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Now, why don't the makers of these mats know this??? You'd think they'd check this all out! So, do you have one mat or the other???

Mine is the Tim/black mat, since white/light colors work better for me against black, and black/dark colors are put against the smaller white area if needed, so it’s kind of a two-fer? The white removable mat has never been used. 

Studies about visual ergonomics and workers at workbenches putting widgets together probably aren’t almost anyone’s radar. But if during development just one person had remembered reading about visual ergonomics and color, maybe it would have turned out differently. I bet Tim Holtz would have thought it cool and used it as a selling point. 

I actually like Ranger mats, and you can buy it by the foot (from Joggles) to cover a table as shown in her videos, but seeing colors more accurately plus a brief very big sale on Tim mat at JoAnn made me jump. And I do like it. Clean up - on any glass mat - is super easy. I used expired Purell, which is what Tim used to demo, though now doesn’t show the brand. Any should be fine.

grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #56
Glitter Guru

Quote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vance-15-X-12-inch-Gray-Graphic-Surface-Saver-Tempered-Glass-Cutting-Board-81512GG/594237292

Neat! Would the size work for you?

The narrow grid lines on crafting glass mats are helpful for some crafters, and the size of the Tim mat - 23 or 24 x 14? - mattered for me. 
Old 01-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #57
Compulsive Stamper

Default Creativation 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestamc View Post

I liked the idea of the malleable wood but I would never use it and I liked the Lawn Fawn iris Die, but how many cards would I make with that? I guess I'm more like you Vestamc, I have more than enough stuff to use and destash. It was fun to watch the videos though.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #58
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Neat! Would the size work for you?

The narrow grid lines on crafting glass mats are helpful for some crafters, and the size of the Tim mat - 23 or 24 x 14? - mattered for me. 

You know, I think not. It is 15" x 12" & the grid it displays is large, rather than smaller like the others too. I think one needs something to cover more table space than this. I don't like to get "messy" when crafting, but when I do, LOOK OUT! But, It was nice to find something in gray! LOL

joniworx likes this post.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #59
Glitter Guru

I loved that you found a gray one!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #60
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I loved that you found a gray one!

LOL Me too! It's actually a cutting board for the kitchen they said.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #61
Cardstock Collector

Smile I attended Creativation...what are your questions?

I attended Creativation and can answer any questions you have. Most products won't be released until February and March. My personal favorites were the GinaK and RinaK Electro-pop products. I'll be carrying all those in my store next month. Tim Holtz did release some new colors but primarily demo'd his new blow tool. Simon was showcasing his new stamps and stencils. My other favorite was Concord & 9th rotating stamps. I will be carrying those too! Let me know any questions and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Barbara
pepperann, joniworx and Catscrap216 like this post.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #62
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

It says the color white under Product Info - maybe the grid lines are gray?!

Karen ... Murphy's Law
Old 01-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #63
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk24 View Post

It says the color white under Product Info - maybe the grid lines are gray?!

I went back & looked & you are right. It looks white, but the name is:
"Vance 15" x 12" Gray Graphic Surface Saver Tempered Glass Cutting Board, 81512GG." I looked through the info. on it too, & nothing was said about white. The "white" was off to the side... Hmmm. I can't win for loosing! LOL Thought I found something! Anybody else find a gray one?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #64
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blg0977 View Post
I attended Creativation and can answer any questions you have. Most products won't be released until February and March. My personal favorites were the GinaK and RinaK Electro-pop products. I'll be carrying all those in my store next month. Tim Holtz did release some new colors but primarily demo'd his new blow tool. Simon was showcasing his new stamps and stencils. My other favorite was Concord & 9th rotating stamps. I will be carrying those too! Let me know any questions and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Barbara

Concord & 9th has rotating stamps? Are they different than the turnabout stamps? I still don't get those turnabout stamps but I tried them when they first came out and got frustrated and never tried again. 

I'm a chemo angel. Click here for more information: https://www.chemoangels.com/
Old 01-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Why, why, whhhhhyyyyyyy do I read these threads and then go and watch the videos???! I do not NEED more things that I "just can't live without"! I would have been perfectly happy not knowing these things exist. Now, they're calling my name, over and over .... Tim Holtz new inks, blower, cat stamp set, embossing glazes, embossing dauber, Stickles gel, some shimmery CS, a couple little tools ... Out of everything, at the very top of my list, something I TRULY need are some of the storage tins for Distress Oxide inks. The rest, I actually hope  my memory fails me and I can forget I saw them. I still have stuff from years ago I haven't cracked open or touched yet. lol
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #66
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Barbara

I'm SO jealous!!!  I love the Elecctro-Pop inks - I'm betting the foils and glitter glitz will be fabulous!  Rina is really coming into her own - it's been fun to watch her.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #67
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Barbara’s

This made me laugh at what Tim might say! In many videos he was demoing the new Alloys to use with alcohol inks and new Distress Glazes - translucent heat embossing powders. The blower was used with the alloys/ alcohol inks. 

pepperann likes this post.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #68
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom View Post

Concord & 9th has rotating stamps? Are they different than the turnabout stamps? I still don't get those turnabout stamps but I tried them when they first came out and got frustrated and never tried again. 

She might mean their endless infinity die? Very cool. It can be used with any stamps, not just their birthday set.

Watching a video - like by Jennifer McGuire or others - can help with the turnabout stamps. It can be confusing at first.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM..
joniworx likes this post.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #69
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
So far it’s still just heat Embossing Glaze and definitely alcohol ink Alloys.

But Concord & 9th’s Honeysuckle ink pad - yes, just that one color! - called me, though who knows what it looks like in real life. And Altenew’s gradient washi is gorgeous. I’m curious about the material of their big crafting mat, not that I want/need another.

There was something about a beading pick-up needle that you just push into the beads by Clover, but maybe the blogger was incorrect, since no one from Clover was there to speak with.

Beth

Here's the beading Needle: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/me_continue" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #70
Crimping Master

Quote:
Wrong again! LOL So, I was thinking he was Gina K's son. DAH! But still,  he is someone they've noticed with potential!

I thought he was related to Jennifer McGuire in some way... 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #71
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post

I thought he was related to Jennifer McGuire in some way... 

LOL I'm sooooo glad, I'm not the only one who was wrong!
bjeans likes this post.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #72
Compulsive Stamper

Infinity dies???  I gotta get me that and the LF Iris Die.  I told myself I wasn't buying anything but.....
joniworx and bjeans like this post.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #73
Proud Fan Club Member

Does anyone know what Simon is using in this vid as his stamping block? It has a curved edge with markings....at 41:26 I dont see it in his line at Ranger...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XaUmUsNUH-4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Old 01-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #74
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavejumper View Post
Does anyone know what Simon is using in this vid as his stamping block? It has a curved edge with markings....at 41:26 I dont see it in his line at Ranger...

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XaUmUsNUH-4" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I believe its the Ranger/Dyan Reaveley Dylusions Journaling Block 9x5

https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Reaveleys-Dylusions-Journaling-Block/dp/B077QPTS5P

wavejumper likes this post.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:11 AM   #75
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscrap216 View Post
Infinity dies??? I gotta get me that and the LF Iris Die. I told myself I wasn't buying anything but.....
I can understand buying the iris die, because while it's possible to cut that one by hand from a template (we have a tutorial here and I've made several), it's a real pain. If I thought I'd make enough to justify the expense I'd be tempted by that one. But the "infinity" card...so long as you have a large circle die you can cut your own. It's exactly the same principle as the old-school never-ending card, but done with a circle instead of a square. Matching stamps, now, those could be good. That's always been the hardest part of a never-ending card for me, figuring out how to get them to work across the sequence of folds.

Mechanical Iris Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Never-Ending Card Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by Cook22; 01-25-2020 at 01:14 AM..
ozarkstamper likes this post.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #76
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I can understand buying the iris die, because while it's possible to cut that one by hand from a template (we have a tutorial here and I've made several), it's a real pain. If I thought I'd make enough to justify the expense I'd be tempted by that one. But the "infinity" card...so long as you have a large circle die you can cut your own. It's exactly the same principle as the old-school never-ending card, but done with a circle instead of a square. Matching stamps, now, those could be good. That's always been the hardest part of a never-ending card for me, figuring out how to get them to work across the sequence of folds.

Mechanical Iris Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Never-Ending Card Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

I’m backwards from you! I don’t need many birthday cards, and am not into making fun folds, but the instructional video showed a card made with a non-birthday stamp set, and I could imagine so many sentiments and images. So I bought just the die.

Maybe I’m kidding myself and half a sentiment could be on one layer and the other half buried elsewhere. 

Tons of videos have been fun to watch, but this die, a couple Alloys and Distress Glaze embossing powders are it for this year, though the Iris die was a little tempting. Off to watch the “never ending” tutorial you linked to - thanks!
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #77
Glitter Guru

Seth Apter is known as an amazing, magical instructor, always willing to help anyone. I’m ashamed to say I have not made it to one of his classes, given that he visits two shops not far from my area. For mixed media folks - or anyone who likes some different mediums for their cards - heres a video with his new products at Creativation, including nail polish (not really!). Also Izink, Wow and more:
dogbyte likes this post.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #78
Glitter Guru

I should have added that a Wow product that sparked joy is their sticky embossing ink (their version of Versamark type ink) that comes in a small nail polish type container with a brush! If I recall, they partnered with or were inspired by Seth Apter for that one. 

Old 01-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #79
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1000 View Post
I wish we could have a few of those companies come out to Houston.  For a town this size it’s amazing what a papercrafting desert it is here.  Like 3 ISS around, but none where I live.  CKC is shrinking every year.  They need to change the side of town they set up on.  Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnn don’t carry much new stuff.  I want to see, touch, and smell things before I buy.  Sorry...rant over.  But back to the original question........I think the stickles gel looks interesting, and I like Simon Hurley - he’s a breath of fresh air.

Kathy, they all seem to think there is only one city in Texas: Dallas.
My Paper Paisleys Art Blog
Old 01-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #80
Stampin' Fool

Mind you I've not watched all the video but thus far I haven't found anything that is a have to have. Most everything is nice but pretty much eh not going to spent $$ on it.

Quote:
Kathy, they all seem to think there is only one city in Texas: Dallas
Yeap, tell someone you're from Fort Worth and 9 times out of 10 the response is, "oh you're from Dallas".  ... did I say that, uh NO.  On the insult scale that isn't even a 10, it's way off the chart...
123scrap likes this post.