Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copics and cloth?

Is it possible to color on cloth with Copics? If so, does the fabric have to be prepared or set afterward? My mom has asked if I could use them to color embroidered quilt blocks.
Thanks!

Becky
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

The answer is not quite straightforward!

You can colour on fabric with Copics - you need to be aware that it will travel along the fibers to some extent so if you are colouring inside an outline of some sort you need to colour shy of the line to allow for some "bleed".

BUT my (limited) experience is that they do not launder well so if your quilt will need to be washed then they're probably not a great idea. Allied to that, they are not particularly light-fast so if your quilt is for display then the colours are going to fade over time.

You might be better looking at something like the Versacraft markers made by Tsukineko. This is the same ink that comes in the pads and although I haven't tried the markers so can't comment on how they work in terms of delivering ink from the nib, I can tell you from experience of using the pads that the ink just needs heat setting (use your iron) and then it washes fabulously, no colour loss.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had asked this question on another site also and was given this link to reference to.
http://www.youtube.com/user/suzannej.../1/oUXeutmXDJY

I'll have to ask Mom what she plans to do with the squares. It seems it's doable to use cloth in some instances. Maybe these squares would be better as a quilt wall hanging, if hung out of direct sunlight.
Anyway, thought I would share one thought that someone had given me in case anyone else was curious.

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes