Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Default To Copic or not to Copic....

Ladies, I look at all your beautiful stamps, coloured with Copic markers, and I just die! I`ve been using Prismacolor pencils and baby oil to blend and watercolor pencils, but the results you all get from the markers are just outstanding! Here`s the rub...Copics are so freakishly expensive (I`m in Canada, so I`d have to pay shipping, duty and taxes), and I just can`t justify spending that much. I`m a new mommy, and I`d love to stay at home rather than return to work. Are there other marker brands with alcohol based ink (or other waterproof ink) that are also really good, but are cheaper I checked out Dick Blick,. and they have a house brand. Has anyone tried those
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan&terryView Post
(I`m in Canada, so I`d have to pay shipping, duty and taxes), and I just can`t justify spending that much. I`m a new mommy, and I`d love to stay at home rather than return to work. Are there other marker brands with alcohol based ink (or other waterproof ink) that are also really good, but are cheaper I checked out Dick Blick,. and they have a house brand. Has anyone tried those
Have you tried this place in Edmonton?
Delta Art & Drafting Supply -

Delta Art & Drafting Supply -

Stop in and buy 2 or 3 when you have a chance and use them with your Prismacolor pencils.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I love my Copic's, but I guess it all depends on how much you can afford, you should never buy your craft supplies over paying your bills, having said that I also live in Canada and I have bought my Copics from Merri Artist Copic Markers They have a great selection of Copics and there prices are reasonable, there shipping cost wasn't to bad when I ordered all my Copic's and with our dollar on par right now that might be an incentive to order a few of them just to try out and see if you like them.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my copics, but I am here in the USA. I think Ranger was going to come out with more of thier alcohol markers, but they will be just as expensive for you.
Have you looked at getting the copic ciao markers, which are the least expensive?

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

You should check out aboverubiesstudio.com. Yesterday (I believe) she posted an older video of copics vs. prismacolors. I actually liked the prismacolor better and they are much cheaper.
Tammy
Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I would definitely stay at home with my baby, over choosing to go back to work and buying Copics. I don't own any either, and don't see myself jumping on that bandwagon, as much as I'd like to. Are Sharpies or Bic MarkIts available to you? I have those and have very good luck with them. I bought a Prismacolor (alcohol based) colorless blender and it works well with the Sharpies and MarkIts.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't think about the cost of buying them all at once, that will deter anyone! Just start by purchasing in colour families (for example my favourite red combo is R22, R24, R27) and go from there. If you buy three at a time it's not so bad.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I {love} my colored pencils, I like my Copics. I don't think they are better or worse than colored pencils, just different.
The main reason I started my Copic collection is because I use a lot of digital images, and my printer only likes thin, smooth cardstock which colored pencils don't work very well on.
Also, there are quite a few stampers that use Copics to do basic coloring, then go back with colored pencils for shading. I think this is because colored pencils are easier to blend than Copics IMO.
Don't feel pressured to join in on the Copic craze, colored pencils are an excellent coloring medium, many many artist use them to paint gorgeous works of art! Then again, I've seen incredible works of art done in Crayola crayons and sidewalk chalk too!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

You need to check out onecrazystamper.com. Copic sketch (the larger ones) are on sale for $4.95 and shipping is reasonable. They are based in Canada, and Lora is great. The customer service has been fantastic for me.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

That same site also has the Ciao's on sale for $3.99. Same exact ink as the Sketch markers.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I just looked on the official Copic Web site and here is a list of dealers in Canada.
There are a lot of them and several in Edmonton Alberta
Just put in "Country" in the first drop down and then Canada

DEALERS COPICMARKER.COM

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-30-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found out about this brand of markers on another thread. They are very comparable to Copics, and way, way cheaper. I ordered a set of 36 for $49.00, which comes to about $1.40 per marker and have been very pleased with them:

ShinHan Touch Twin Marker Sets - JerrysArtarama.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Not me. I like using SU inks and markers with watercoloring techniques and don't want the added expense and storage of Copics. I have to draw the line somewhere!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Check out Curry's Art Supply in Toronto. I opted to buy Ciao's because they are $3.69 (currently on sale too). They are a smaller barrel, but I'm not colouring for a business and figure the Ciao's will last for long enough. If you're in southern Ontario, there are several Curry's so you can avoid shipping charges. Also, they do free delivery for $75+. Or at least they are offering it right now.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
Not me. I like using SU inks and markers with watercoloring techniques and don't want the added expense and storage of Copics. I have to draw the line somewhere!
Same with me.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I purchased all four Copic marker sets and after not using them for a couple of years sold them. I just could not trade them for my paint brush. I love watercoloring with reinkers and reinkers are the most economical ink you can purchase. I am still using the original bottles of SU reinker that I purchased in 2005 as well as my Distress reinkers. The color is very concentrated and will last forever. All you need is a watercolor brush or an aqua pen and a small drop of reinker in the lid of your ink pad and you are good to go.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thank you all!

Ladies, thank you so much. After searching the web until my eyes ache, I stumbled on the Shinhan Touch markers, like Bugga said. Ebay has them cheap, and I've read some good reviews. They are also sold at a local art supply place here (DeSerres). I'm going to pick some of them up and try them out. I'll report back!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Ladies, thank you so much. After searching the web until my eyes ache, I stumbled on the Shinhan Touch markers, like Bugga said. Ebay has them cheap, and I've read some good reviews. They are also sold at a local art supply place here (DeSerres). I'm going to pick some of them up and try them out. I'll report back!
I was just going to say that DeSerres has the Touch markers and I think there is a deal for free or cheap shipping right now - and they are a Canadian company so that's even better. If you do want to try the copics I have found that oozak.com is the least expensive place anywhere to get them, even with the shipping. If you create an account, you will see the price of the Ciao markers drop to 2.85US. I've been buying 20 or so markers at a time and it usually comes to just a little more than $60CDN with the shipping. Just put a note in the special instructions to use the small flat rate box - that's their cheapest shipping method to Canada.

ETA: I forgot to mention that with this method from oozak I have never been charged duty on my orders - it just comes through the regular mail.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my Shinhan Twin Touch markers. I have both Copic and Touch markers and can't tell the difference except for the price, which you can find at clearance right now at Dick blick and Jerry's artarama. ShinHan is a long standing brand of artist markers with good reputation in Korean and other Asian countries. They are huge in the manga/anamie/graffiti/cartoon world.
...Actually, I did experience a weird thing with my Copic Caio yesterday, the green ink didn't seem to lay down smoothly and it had tiny white dots in the image where I used it..has anyone ever had that happen? I read on one of the magna boards where someone had this problem. Maybe a weird spot on the paper?

Anyhoo..

Touch markers are on clearance right now because they will be introducing their refillable and replaceable nibs to the USA early summer 2011 as well as brush nibs. I have been fighting against getting a few more..it's hard because if you are a marker girl..you will want more and more..Copic, Touch, Lystra..they all can be addictive!

I have been able to get almost 80 Touch markers for about the same price of 24 original or 36 Caio Copics (buying them on clearance and also additional 20% off coupon from Dick Blick a couple months ago). There just isn't any way to beat that, expecially since I find Touch markers quality to be right up there with Copic.

I'm convinced a true artist can create with anything..my husband is a graphic artist and he has used food coloring.. ..talent is an awesome thing! He keeps telling me it's not the marker, its the person using it - (I think a good range of colors helps though!)
Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Copic Markers are "marker crack"...and I won't be giving up the addiction any time soon.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

DeSerres also has Copic Ciao Markers. I think they are around $3.99 if you want to try a few inexpensively. They carry three lines of alcohol markers but I can't remember what the last one is.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayttapView Post
Copic Markers are "marker crack"...and I won't be giving up the addiction any time soon.
LOL!! I totally agree!! I love these Copics as much as I love my watercolours, and I thought I had found colouring paradise when I discovered watercolours!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

After looking at your cards in the gallery, I have to say that if I could make cards that pretty, I wouldn't worry about buying anything else to work with. Your cards are so pretty!!! I think if I were to ever try Copics, I'd only buy a few first, just to see how I liked them. I have heard before also, that they are not as easy to blend as the pencils. I did buy some Bic and Sharpie markers and have been playing with those. But I can see where the Copic style of markers would be tempting; especially the other brands mentioned, that are a much cheaper price and sound like they work well.
Like I said, as pretty as your cards are; you do a great job with what you already have! I love you Christmas song card! So glad that you are enjoying being home with your baby.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks so much!

Ladies, you are awesome! Such good advice! And Hoptownracer, you are so sweet!! I am going to try the touch markers...they can be my gateway drug to the crack that is copic I just hope that their prices don't sky rocket when they introduce the refillable line.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
I purchased all four Copic marker sets and after not using them for a couple of years sold them. I just could not trade them for my paint brush. I love watercoloring with reinkers and reinkers are the most economical ink you can purchase. I am still using the original bottles of SU reinker that I purchased in 2005 as well as my Distress reinkers. The color is very concentrated and will last forever. All you need is a watercolor brush or an aqua pen and a small drop of reinker in the lid of your ink pad and you are good to go.
i've had mine for a year, with little use. i love them, but it's just a matter of lack of time. homeschooling two preschoolers, demo'ing three clubs, etc. i'm encouraged that you sold yours after a couple years. i'm so scared mine are going to dry out if i don't start using them soon! anyone know the shelf life of the copics? i have sketch ones.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaufeestamperView Post
i've had mine for a year, with little use. i love them, but it's just a matter of lack of time. homeschooling two preschoolers, demo'ing three clubs, etc. i'm encouraged that you sold yours after a couple years. i'm so scared mine are going to dry out if i don't start using them soon! anyone know the shelf life of the copics? i have sketch ones.
They will never dry out as long as the caps are on and they're going unused.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
They will never dry out as long as the caps are on and they're going unused.
THANK YOU! This is the best news of 2010! In that case, I would encourage anyone to try them out! Knowing I have them to use when I can is encouraging. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know about Copics but I have a set of Design Markers, which are no longer made. They are alcohol ink and work with my Touch, Copic and Dick Blick Studio markers. They stink like crazy though.

They are also at least 15 years old, I recently unearthed them, and most are still juicy. About 10 out of 40 where dry.

As long as they are stored correctly, I think any quality marker should last a long, long time.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Ladies, you are awesome! Such good advice! And Hoptownracer, you are so sweet!! I am going to try the touch markers...they can be my gateway drug to the crack that is copic I just hope that their prices don't sky rocket when they introduce the refillable line.
Touch are addictive also...I'm fighting getting more from Jerry's Artarama, which are on clearance for something like $1.89

I was told that the new refillable/replaceable nibs Touch markers won't change the "regular" cost of the marker. I am not sure but I think the reg price is about $4 -$6 per marker, based on internet search.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

This site seems to have the best deal on the Touch markers, but I haven't been able to get a response from them, so I can't verify their service... but their markers are priced at $1.99, buy 12 get one free, and free shipping over $25. I tried putting in different country codes, and the shipping stayed at $0. Anyway, wanted to share the link. At that price you can get 14 markers for $25.87.

ArtistsMarkers.com - Markers for Anime, Manga, Cartoonists, Graphic Design

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #31  

Also, I purchased this set of markers on ebay from a Hong Kong seller who offers free shipping internationally. 40 markers for about $68.

Touch Twin Marker pens 40 set with bag for Architect - eBay (item 170549803461 end time Jan-05-11 02:40:37 PST)

(they do have some other sets, but this seemed the best value per marker)

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Copics..........sign in for the lowest price at oozak.com. You cannot beat the prices or the service. I've invested heavily in the business for my copic crack.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Default Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
You should check out aboverubiesstudio.com. Yesterday (I believe) she posted an older video of copics vs. prismacolors. I actually liked the prismacolor better and they are much cheaper.
Tammy
Oh I love how informative this board is!
I'm debating on jumping onto the coloring bandwagon myself. After years of swearing I have no talent for coloring (which I don't!) I've decided it might not be so bad to try it. I'm considering investing in prismacolor colored pencils (copics are just way over my purchasing power). I watched that video on aboverubiesstudio.com but there's one thing I'm just a little confused about-in the video she uses gamsol with watercolor pencils-after all I've read on this mb I thought you only used gamsol with colored pencils and water with watercolor pencils. Can anyone clarify this one for me?
thanks!
Kathy
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
Tammy
I have to be honest that I like my Touch markers better than my Copic Caio markers. The brush tip doesn't work well for me for fine details and for some reason the ink doesn't lay down coverage quite as will as my other markers..I particularily notice it with the green and Chrome orange, there are tiny white spots. I don't notice it with all colors though and I don't notice it with my touch markers or Dick Blick Studio markers but I did noticed it with some of my old Design markers. I did a tiny bit of Internet search on this and found it mentioned on some of the manga boards and even people saying copics smell. My copics done smell vey much. I haven't used Prismacolor markers but smelled one today at Michaels and prismas definitely smell but tint bad compared to my old design markers which really stink.

Everyone has their favorite brands they are loyal to and can make magic with. It's a good thing to have options available. I am liking my Dick Blick markers the more I use them, which are comparable to Prismacolors in style. The wide nib is shaped a bit differently so I have more width options, but Touch are still my favorite.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..I went to the website: ArtistsMarkers.com - Markers for Anime, Manga, Cartoonists, Graphic Design
to order set A & B of these markers but it would not take my credit card. I tried to call the company but their phone number is disconnected...anyone have info to share? I sent an email but not sure what is going on. I got an order confirmation but my credit card was not accepted. I dont know what to think at this point.
blessings.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Default prismas

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
Oh I love how informative this board is!
I'm debating on jumping onto the coloring bandwagon myself. After years of swearing I have no talent for coloring (which I don't!) I've decided it might not be so bad to try it. I'm considering investing in prismacolor colored pencils (copics are just way over my purchasing power). I watched that video on aboverubiesstudio.com but there's one thing I'm just a little confused about-in the video she uses gamsol with watercolor pencils-after all I've read on this mb I thought you only used gamsol with colored pencils and water with watercolor pencils. Can anyone clarify this one for me?
thanks!
Kathy
Kathy, I use both the Prismacolor pencils and watercolor pencils. You can use baby oil to blend with a blending stump with the Prismas--it makes a very similar effect to blending with Gamsol. Gamsol is a solvent (odorless mineral spirits is what it is--Gamsol is a brand name), and it is toxic and still slightly smelly. I like the baby oil because I have a baby and pets, so I don't want the smell or have anyone get into the stuff and poison themselves! Really, try them. They are so fun! There is a line of Prismas called Verithin--they are thinner pencils than standard Prismas with are harder, which helps them not to wear down too fast! They come in 40 colors and are cheaper than the standard Prismas--nice to get your feet wet with. I tried the Crayolas, but they don't work as well. I think you'll surprise yourself and discover that you CAN colour.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Kathy, I use both the Prismacolor pencils and watercolor pencils. You can use baby oil to blend with a blending stump with the Prismas--it makes a very similar effect to blending with Gamsol. Gamsol is a solvent (odorless mineral spirits is what it is--Gamsol is a brand name), and it is toxic and still slightly smelly. I like the baby oil because I have a baby and pets, so I don't want the smell or have anyone get into the stuff and poison themselves! Really, try them. They are so fun! There is a line of Prismas called Verithin--they are thinner pencils than standard Prismas with are harder, which helps them not to wear down too fast! They come in 40 colors and are cheaper than the standard Prismas--nice to get your feet wet with. I tried the Crayolas, but they don't work as well. I think you'll surprise yourself and discover that you CAN colour.
Oh thank you for the encouragement! I do want to try coloring but will have to wait for a couple of months to let our budget "rest". Thank you for information on the Verithin Prismas, I will check them out
Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #38  

I had the same trouble, getting my card to go through. I have sent several messages with no response, and finally told them I will not place an order until I hear from a real person. Strange. Great prices though! Hope to see them follow through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ok..I went to the website: ArtistsMarkers.com - Markers for Anime, Manga, Cartoonists, Graphic Design
to order set A & B of these markers but it would not take my credit card. I tried to call the company but their phone number is disconnected...anyone have info to share? I sent an email but not sure what is going on. I got an order confirmation but my credit card was not accepted. I dont know what to think at this point.
blessings.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
Oh thank you for the encouragement! I do want to try coloring but will have to wait for a couple of months to let our budget "rest". Thank you for information on the Verithin Prismas, I will check them out
You might also check out Dick Blick's colored penclils. I have both prismacolors and Dick Blicks. They work just perfect and they are a bit cheaper. Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials

Dick Blick also has Twin Touch markers on clearance but the lowery price I found has been on Jerry's artarama and Dini found the eBay seller.

It sounds like it is a good thing you ladies credit cards didn't go through on that othe site! I'd guess they are no longer in business.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #40  

ASW also has the Twin Touch markers at the same price as Jerry's.
ShinHan Twin Touch Markers and Sets - aswexpress.com

Blick's marker price is higher BUT they are the newer style marker, and now that I have the old and new, I do prefer the ones that Blick carries.

Vincent Van Gogh