Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #2521
Inking Addict

Hi guys. I know this has probably been asked somewhere in the 65 pages of info but I only made it thru a few before giving up. Can anyone tell me if there is a chart or info available that would tell which copic would be the equivalent to the SU! colors? Found out yesterday that my LSS has them now and I want to go try them out.

TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #2522
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I think Ellen Hutson has a set of the Copics that match the SU colors - Ellen Hutson LLC
Maybe check her store to see if the colors of the Copics are given that "match" the SU colors.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #2523
Embossing Fanatic

Thumbs up

I ordered from Ellen Hutson and ask for one they are so helpful and she made a video for copic but its not out yet can't wait. Give her a call its worth it GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #2524
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

There are a few things I want to color and am not sure of the best Copic color (including highlight and shadow) - I have a pretty good selection of markers, but keep finding "gaps". Does anyone have any suggestions for:

an orangey-red for coloring poppies?
a brick red?
good oranges/yellow-oranges for coloring pumpkins ?
reddish-brown or a rusty red for hair?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Claudia
Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #2525
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, can't wait to see what the "experts" chime in here with. Those sound like some great colors to have!

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #2526
Mad Swapper

HUMMMM...Flourishes is going to release the Flourishes Copic Collection and it is based in color groups with flower names. The idea is to take the guessing out of the natural shading done in coloring....SOON, VERY SOON!
FLLC (Flourishes) gallery
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God
Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #2527
Stampin' Fool

For the auburn hair, there is E08 and E09 which are nice, with maybe some E15.

The pumpkins could be in the YR04, YR07 and YR09 area or maybe even YR65 and YR68

Do you have any of those to try out?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #2528
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Kitty, thanks for the suggestions. I do have the YR04 and 07 and had the 09 on my list, so I guess I will get that and see what I think. I don't have any of the E's that you suggested, so those I will put on my list!
I tried coloring the poppy stamp last night using R24, 27 and 29, but I would like a red with a bit more of any orangey tone. Will keep experimenting, and checking the Flourishes site for the sets - thanks, Jan Marie.
Any other suggestions anyone?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #2529
Rubber Obsessor

Default newbie to copics

I'm interested in buying some single colors.
I've found a few recommended colors and think I'll start that way.
But on that note the grays that are recommended are the cool grays. On the color chart they look so blue. Are they really? Does everyone find those are the colors they use most?
I was wondering if I should buy the warms or neutrals instead. Help please!

...and this is my very 1st post here, but I've been quite addicted to this thread, still haven't managed to get through all the pages yet.
But thanks for all the tips!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #2530
Matboard Maniac

I only have a couple cool grays--none of the others. I love using the C2 or C1 to go around the outside of images that I've stamped to give them depth and pop.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #2531
Inking Addict

What do you recommend for auburn hair with the copic markers?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #2532
Rubber Obsessor

Default auburn

I found this suggestion but have not used them.
Maybe someone else can confirm.
E13, E17, E18, E19
Old 05-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #2533
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle3131 View Post
I'm interested in buying some single colors.
I've found a few recommended colors and think I'll start that way.
But on that note the grays that are recommended are the cool grays. On the color chart they look so blue. Are they really? Does everyone find those are the colors they use most?
I was wondering if I should buy the warms or neutrals instead. Help please!

...and this is my very 1st post here, but I've been quite addicted to this thread, still haven't managed to get through all the pages yet.
But thanks for all the tips!
As far as the Cool Grays looking blue, I don't think they are. It is VERY important to realize that color charts shown on computers make many colors look very different than they are in "real Life."

You can probably get away with these for a LONG time without adding any others: C0, C01, C03, C05. The C0 will give you something to use to draw that OUTLINE around images and the C01, C03, C05 can be used for blending together on items.

Since you are only starting with copics, I would like to suggest a few things:

1. get a blank copic color chart and print it out on the PAPER that you will be using to color your images on. Don't bother with printer paper because the color will look different. I have 2 white card stocks that I like so I printed out the blank color charts on BOTH of them and refer to them. That way I will know exactly how each color looks on that type of white card stock. You can find the blank color chart at www.copicmarker.com It is in the section labeled LIBRARY.
2. keep a list of colors that blend well together and refer to it when coloring. I have started a notebook and when I read a blog that has a color combo used that I like and would want to use, I write it down in the notebook. There are so many copics, that it is easy to forget which ones blend together well and which ones you like. Also, when you, yourself, find a combo you like, write that down so you have it for the future.
3. take a look at this: www.ilikemarkers.com. Marianne Walker is probably the #1 source for information on copics.
4. remember that the COLORLESS Blender does NOT blend! If you are used to blenders from SU!, Marvy or Tombow, you are in for a BIG surprise! LOL! The COPIC colorless Blender acts like an eraser to help you TAKE AWAY ink that has gone out of the lines. You should get one and read how to use it from one of those web sites I listed.
5. the type of black INK you stamp with is very important. SU! and Stazon are got going to work with copics. They will smear.
6. the type of PAPER you stamp is important. Some brands work better than others. This will usually be trial and error until you find one you like.

HTH at least a little bit.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #2534
Rubber Obsessor

Suzanne Dean has some youtube videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kGWAFHQm_Y

She recommends E13 - E17 - E18 - and E19 as well.

Joanne
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #2535
Rubber Obsessor

I couldn't get that link to work but try this one for Marianne:

http://www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/

Joanne
Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #2536
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayttap View Post
be sure to look at oozak.com if you're looking for great prices. I usually receive their orders 2 days after ordering! I've also heard that prices are good at carpe diem.com I like to go into my local Dick Blick store to look at the actual colors or treat myself....helps (read enables me) that Dick Blick is right next to Archivers in MN............
I have been ordering from Carpe Diem because they seem to have the best prices. However, after seeing this post, I checked out oozak.com and if you register with them, their prices are the same as Carpe Diem when they are on sale. And, Carpe Diem ONLY ships UPS and is $11.95 minimum order (for me in AZ). Shipping is free (right now) for orders over $70 for Sketch markers ONLY! My first order was for original (newbie!) and I had to pay s & h. I have discovered sketch, and like them MUCH better than the originals, so s & h hasn't been a big problem up until now. I have most of the colors I want, so if I order more, it will be in small quantities, and the $11.95 shipping is a bit high! Check out oozak.com!! Thanks for the tip!!!!

Last edited by ardodd; 05-30-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #2537
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjoy71 View Post
Someone here on scs did this and posted it.. I dont recall who did it though... so I cant give the person credit. Its wonderful!!
OMGOSH!!! I have seen a couple of different charts on SCS for DMC colors/SU! colors and Copic marker colors/SU! colors, but NOTHING like this chart! Thanks SO much!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #2538
Cardstock Collector

Red face

Hello in here. ^^

I want to buy some markers individually, but I can`t find a reasonable price anywhere. When I find it, then shipping to my country in Europe costs double!

So - do you know any on line art supply stores that sell markers individually for a nice price and ship to Europe (Latvia)? Maybe an european art supply store that is not in the US or Asia. :/

Or maybe you are selling some of your markers? :P

Oh, and one more thing - my dad is going to germany - Minster/Munster [I don`t know how to spell it right] and do you know any stores in the city, where he could check for the markers?

Thanks if anyone considers to help! <3
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #2539
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
As far as the Cool Grays looking blue, I don't think they are. It is VERY important to realize that color charts shown on computers make many colors look very different than they are in "real Life."

You can probably get away with these for a LONG time without adding any others: C0, C01, C03, C05. The C0 will give you something to use to draw that OUTLINE around images and the C01, C03, C05 can be used for blending together on items.

Since you are only starting with copics, I would like to suggest a few things:

1. get a blank copic color chart and print it out on the PAPER that you will be using to color your images on. Don't bother with printer paper because the color will look different. I have 2 white card stocks that I like so I printed out the blank color charts on BOTH of them and refer to them. That way I will know exactly how each color looks on that type of white card stock. You can find the blank color chart at www.copicmarker.com It is in the section labeled LIBRARY.
2. keep a list of colors that blend well together and refer to it when coloring. I have started a notebook and when I read a blog that has a color combo used that I like and would want to use, I write it down in the notebook. There are so many copics, that it is easy to forget which ones blend together well and which ones you like. Also, when you, yourself, find a combo you like, write that down so you have it for the future.
3. take a look at this: www.ilikemarkers.com. Marianne Walker is probably the #1 source for information on copics.
4. remember that the COLORLESS Blender does NOT blend! If you are used to blenders from SU!, Marvy or Tombow, you are in for a BIG surprise! LOL! The COPIC colorless Blender acts like an eraser to help you TAKE AWAY ink that has gone out of the lines. You should get one and read how to use it from one of those web sites I listed.
5. the type of black INK you stamp with is very important. SU! and Stazon are got going to work with copics. They will smear.
6. the type of PAPER you stamp is important. Some brands work better than others. This will usually be trial and error until you find one you like.

HTH at least a little bit.
I hadn't thought about keeping a list of markers that blend. I have a folder for the different tutorials but of course I don't have some of the markers. When I do find a good combination, I will right it down.

Thank,
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #2540
Rubber Obsessor

I just placed my 1st order, about 45.
I'm going to have to check back for a couple of the skintones though.

Thanks for the notebook tip, I've found so much info on here, u tube and other blogs it's hard to keep it all straight.
I also will be printing out the blank color chart on my stamping paper.

Did I see people recommend the Neenah paper?
...and if so, do most prefer the smooth or ultra smooth?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #2541
Compulsive Stamper

I am signed up for the Winnipeg Copic certification and so excited!!

Charlene
Old 05-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #2542
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuhitsu View Post
Hello in here. ^^

I want to buy some markers individually, but I can`t find a reasonable price anywhere. When I find it, then shipping to my country in Europe costs double!

So - do you know any on line art supply stores that sell markers individually for a nice price and ship to Europe (Latvia)? Maybe an european art supply store that is not in the US or Asia. :/

Oh, and one more thing - my dad is going to germany - Minster/Munster [I don`t know how to spell it right] and do you know any stores in the city, where he could check for the markers?

Check out a good art supply store in your area. That's where I found mine. Good luck! I can't imagine having to pay shipping on these. I'm so greatful I go and buy almost a marker at a time.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #2543
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuhitsu View Post
Hello in here. ^^

Here is a page that lists some retailers/distributors in Europe.
http://www.copicmarker.co.uk/contact.htm

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #2544
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjzim View Post
Kitty, thanks for the suggestions. I do have the YR04 and 07 and had the 09 on my list, so I guess I will get that and see what I think. I don't have any of the E's that you suggested, so those I will put on my list!
I tried coloring the poppy stamp last night using R24, 27 and 29, but I would like a red with a bit more of any orangey tone. Will keep experimenting, and checking the Flourishes site for the sets - thanks, Jan Marie.
Any other suggestions anyone?
I actually did a pumpkin coloring tutorial! You can find it listed here on my Copic Info Page. I hope it helps!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #2545
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
I just placed my 1st order, about 45.
I'm going to have to check back for a couple of the skintones though.

Thanks for the notebook tip, I've found so much info on here, u tube and other blogs it's hard to keep it all straight.
I also will be printing out the blank color chart on my stamping paper.

Did I see people recommend the Neenah paper?
...and if so, do most prefer the smooth or ultra smooth?
Yes, Neenah Classic Crest (usually Natural White or Solor White) is my favorite cardstock for Copics. To my knowledge, it doesn't come in varieties of "smoothness" though. This 80 lb. is what I normally use.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #2546
Rubber Obsessor

I found the 2 types of paper at an online store called, "7 kids college fund".
They have the smooth and ultra smooth.
Their price is $3.50 for 25 sheets. Is that an OK price?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #2547
Matboard Maniac

Default paper prices

I bought the smooth classic crest by Neenah at Anchor Paper for $24.00 for 250 sheets......and have seen it at Expedia for $18.00 for a ream of 250......but neither of those are online stores. The shipping for a ream is usually outrageous because of the weight.

Quote:
I found the 2 types of paper at an online store called, "7 kids college fund".
They have the smooth and ultra smooth.
Their price is $3.50 for 25 sheets. Is that an OK price?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #2548
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayttap View Post
I bought the smooth classic crest by Neenah at Anchor Paper for $24.00 for 250 sheets......and have seen it at Expedia for $18.00 for a ream of 250......but neither of those are online stores. The shipping for a ream is usually outrageous because of the weight.
...and just to make it difficult, I live in Canada.
Seems some places won't ship here and I don't have as much selection for stores.
I definitely have to watch the shipping charges.
Sometimes I investigate the best deals on line it almost seems like a full time job. I guess it's worth it, let's me buy more product!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #2549
Matboard Maniac

Default paper

What about trying Office Supply Stores that carry Neenah paper? the Georgia Pacific 110# paper isn't bad either considering the price difference--and is about $6/ream at WalMart.

Quote:
...and just to make it difficult, I live in Canada.
Seems some places won't ship here and I don't have as much selection for stores.
I definitely have to watch the shipping charges.
Sometimes I investigate the best deals on line it almost seems like a full time job. I guess it's worth it, let's me buy more product!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #2550
Stampin' Fool

I used www.xpedx.com to find a local paper supply store me that carried the Neeneh brand paper and found one very close to me.

You might try that site.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #2551
Stampin' Fool

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjzim View Post
There are a few things I want to color and am not sure of the best Copic color (including highlight and shadow) - I have a pretty good selection of markers, but keep finding "gaps". Does anyone have any suggestions for:

an orangey-red for coloring poppies?
a brick red?
good oranges/yellow-oranges for coloring pumpkins ?
reddish-brown or a rusty red for hair?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Claudia
I just tried E13 with E09 for the highlights to make auburn hair and it looks pretty nice. Do you have those?

How about E09 or E15 for the brick red color?

Last edited by kitty14; 06-02-2009 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #2552
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

oops wrong thread... ( many tabs open)

My Blog
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #2553
Compulsive Stamper

Default Need help in ordering a starter set

I would like to try copics but I have so many markers that I do not use I don't want to invest a ton of money until I know if I could use them.
I was thinking of getting a few...5 or 6 colors...and a blender to see if I liked them before I bought a lot.
What should I start off with...the list of colors on the web sites are mind blowing!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #2554
Polyshrink Goddess

I've used the blender one time, for texturizing. So I wouldn't invest in one right off.
Skin color,E00, is a must for people. Then buy the lightest of the colors you would
want. Adding layers can make it darker. Go on YouTube for Copic instructions. I'm
doing pretty well with the few I have. But with a Hobby Lobby coupon, I'm running
off for another. I made a big mistake buying the really darks. I did take a class at
our local stamping store. Good luck! Wish I could take back my other markers!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #2555
Inking Addict

When I first ordered mine I ordered all whilly nilly and didnt get any colors that were good together for shading and basically wasted money. But then I took a class and that made a world of difference. So my advice is to first take a class where you can try them and actually see if you like them without the investment. Then if you do you will have a better idea on what to buy. Plus you will know what colors you like and would be apt to use more. HTH's.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #2556
Compulsive Stamper

Default Found it!

After searching the internet all day I found a site that has a list of what you need to get started. She has a good list as far as I can tell. She tells you what you need for hair, clothes, halo's, boots, etc!!
I ordered every color on her list...more than 5 colors as I had planned! Now I just have to wait and learn how to use them!

here is her blog with the starter list!
http://rosaswelt.blogspot.com/2009/02/part-1-copic.html
Old 06-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #2557
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap2day View Post
I would like to try copics but I have so many markers that I do not use I don't want to invest a ton of money until I know if I could use them.
I was thinking of getting a few...5 or 6 colors...and a blender to see if I liked them before I bought a lot.
What should I start off with...the list of colors on the web sites are mind blowing!
Scrap2day--

I have alot of other markers, too, but I would trade one copic markers for all of them. I love my copics. If you wanted to get just a few, I would get the flesh markers first.

E000,E00,E31, and R20. There is a list on suzanne dean's site; scrapbiz.blogspot.com that list her favors.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #2558
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap2day View Post
After searching the internet all day I found a site that has a list of what you need to get started. She has a good list as far as I can tell. She tells you what you need for hair, clothes, halo's, boots, etc!!
I ordered every color on her list...more than 5 colors as I had planned! Now I just have to wait and learn how to use them!

here is her blog with the starter list!
http://rosaswelt.blogspot.com/2009/02/part-1-copic.html
They are really easy to learn. They blend wonderfully.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #2559
Crimping Master

I am addicted to these markers. I ordered my first set this week. It will be here tomorrow but I couldn't wait so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 30 more over the last two days. When my shipment comes, I'll have 54 markers.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #2560
Rubber Obsessor

I have about 45 tria pantone markers (old style). Can these markers be used with Copics, or are they incompatible. I don't want to duplicate something I already have if I can help it. Any help with this or a color comparable chart between tria and Copics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Debbie