Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 02-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #881
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamper View Post
There is all this hype about the crucial paper for Copics; so it's a nice change of pace to say the heck with it and Copic on an envelope. I love the results, whether it's a quality white envy or a cheap text weight color envy. Colors may not behave the exact way you want, but, then, it's just the envelope, for Pete's sake! The vivid marker colors make a simple flower in the corner stand out so well. You can still blend. I did find out the hard way that you should slip some scrap paper into the envelope before you start, as the markers could be absorbed by the paper layer on the rear of the envelope. Airbrushing is nice for effect, even if there isn't a stamped image.
I'm going to have to try that! I often use y texture plates to emboss envelopes, but I'm always looking for a new place to color!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #882
Kookie Creator

Default Papers for Copic

For people who want the BEST results for stamping then coloring with Copic, these are the cardstocks that consistently keep popping up as being good:

Georgia Pacific (a little soft for my taste, but use less ink and it won't feather as much)
PaperTrey Ink (PTI) This is a thick paper. To get an image even looking on the front side takes more ink. Because it is thick paper it might not soak all the way through. This is OK, as long as the frontside looks even.
Gina K 80# Good, clean, very smooth bright paper. Takes less ink to evenly soak compared to heavier stock.
Gina K 120# Like the PTI, this is a thick paper. The marker colors very evenly, but like the PTI, it might not soak all the way through
Neenah Classic Crest 80# this is thinner than PTI or Gina K. Not as smooth as Gina K. 80 # but still very nice (my personal favorite since it's what we print on at work so I can steal it from the printer
Copic Stamping Illustration Paper this is a new paper released at CHA. It is thin (like 50#) and slightly off-white. Takes very little ink to evenly color, then you layer it with your favorite cardstocks
Prism Simply Smooth this is VERY smooth. color may not evenly go through the back. Color shows up vibrant and smooth but blending is a little different than on other papers (you really have to try it to understand. People either swear by it or swear at it)

So, does this mean that there aren't other good papers? no. You need to test each of your papers and find which one works for you, which one matches your coloring style. Sometimes you have to slow down when coloring so you don't oversoak the paper. On Neenah or the new Copic paper it's easy to put too much marker down and then it feathers out beyond the line. with practice you learn how much or how little marker to use.

Can you use Copics on cheap paper? Yes, like mentioned about the envelope, if it works for you, go for it. I've done some great work on cheap copier paper, I just need to be aware of how much the marker will bleed and feather, then compensate for it.

However, the shortlist of BAD papers includes: Watercolor, SU! (SU! is intended for blending water-based markers so Copics are tricky on this paper), and stampers should not get fine-art Marker paper (it's too thin for your use and you can't fix mistakes).

I have been waiting since before CHA to do a full paper comparison on my blog, but our tech guys are moving my blog onto the Copic site soon and I have to wait as we finalize formatting...maybe next month. HTH
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #883
Kookie Creator

Smile Inks for Copic

I just covered papers, now for the best inks. I must confess, I have not tried all of these, but these are some of the favorites.

Best (IMO)
Memento, Tsukineko My favorite, and the favorite of many around here. No heatsetting, works great on most cardstocks, dries quickly.
Brilliance, Tsukineko Many people like this because the black is richer than the memento, however, it needs to be heatset. You can use this on fabric, heat-set it, then color it with your Copics and it works great.
AMuse No heatsetting, dries quickly, nice rich black

Good (IMO)
Memories Dye Ink This needs to REALLY be dry. stamp a few days in advance, heat set it a long time, whatever it takes, but some people swear by it
Palette Noir Hybrid Ink I haven't used it much, but heat-set it is what I've heard
Ranger I personally have had some good results, while other times this feathered out and got a yellow halo around the line, so I don't use it.

BAD!!!
Staz On. Just don't use it. It will stain your marker tips and bleed.
SU! This is meant for water-based products and won't work

This being said, if you don't touch the stamped line then you will never have problems. Granted, it's much harder to blend without touching the stamped line, but to each his own.

You need to try any new ink to see what reasonably works for you. If you're willing to heat-set then go for it. If you are impatient, then don't get inks that need to dry.

You need to try these inks with your papers to find what works for you. Each paper/ink combo will react differently. When you find a combo that works for you, stick with it! It can be tricky switching paper types, particularly for newbies, and frustrating if you choose the wrong ones. For newbies, read what people are saying on this thread. Some combos will keep popping up (Like Gina K. and Memento, or PTI and Memento, or Heat-set brilliance and Neenah), so that's a good place to start for the least frustrating experience.

Last edited by ilikemarkers; 02-12-2009 at 12:27 AM..
Unread 02-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #884
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikemarkers View Post
I just covered papers, now for the best inks. I must confess, I have not tried all of these, but these are some of the favorites.

Best (IMO)
Memento, Tsukineko My favorite, and the favorite of many around here. No heatsetting, works great on most cardstocks, dries quickly.
Brilliance, Tsukineko Many people like this because the black is richer than the memento, however, it needs to be heatset. You can use this on fabric, heat-set it, then color it with your Copics and it works great.
AMuse No heatsetting, dries quickly, nice rich black

Good (IMO)
Memories Dye Ink This needs to REALLY be dry. stamp a few days in advance, heat set it a long time, whatever it takes, but some people swear by it
Palette Noir Hybrid Ink I haven't used it much, but heat-set it is what I've heard
Ranger I personally have had some good results, while other times this feathered out and got a yellow halo around the line, so I don't use it.

BAD!!!
Staz On. Just don't use it. It will stain your marker tips and bleed.
SU! This is meant for water-based products and won't work

This being said, if you don't touch the stamped line then you will never have problems. Granted, it's much harder to blend without touching the stamped line, but to each his own.

You need to try any new ink to see what reasonably works for you. If you're willing to heat-set then go for it. If you are impatient, then don't get inks that need to dry.

You need to try these inks with your papers to find what works for you. Each paper/ink combo will react differently. When you find a combo that works for you, stick with it! It can be tricky switching paper types, particularly for newbies, and frustrating if you choose the wrong ones. For newbies, read what people are saying on this thread. Some combos will keep popping up (Like Gina K. and Memento, or PTI and Memento, or Heat-set brilliance and Neenah), so that's a good place to start for the least frustrating experience.

Thank you so much for posting these here! I have seen the comparisons elsewhere but you've done a better job of explaining the actual differences, as in vibrancy vs feathering! Since my biggest frustration seems to be feathering, I personally plan on sticking with the GP white, as it feathers enough for me already and if the others are worse, well...arrrrgh!
Also, in pointing out it's the paper and ink combo, as I find the Memento mostly good on GP but it does at times bleed, if I color over it a LOT (and I think it's primarily with the colorless blender more than with the colors).

The only thing not mentioned here is the clear embossing powder idea for inks like Brilliance. You mentioned heat setting, but this is even better. The only trouble I have with that, is if there are small areas sometimes the clear EP gets in there and then it blocks the color from the paper in that spot (and I AM using the embossing buddy to reduce static, and DETAIL clear EP, but it still can happen).
Not that I'm an expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, but that's why I'm sharing here--because other newbies might want to know how it is from a not-so-talented perspective

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Unread 02-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #885
Polyshrink Goddess

Signing in for this post

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #886
Forum Fanatic

I have a question: how long do you have to "heat set" something? If it feels dry to the touch, do I still have to heat it? I know when to stop for embossing, but for "heat setting" I am not clear what that means exactly!

I have not had luck, personally, with Palette ink...but I did not heat set.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #887
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
I have a question: how long do you have to "heat set" something? If it feels dry to the touch, do I still have to heat it? I know when to stop for embossing, but for "heat setting" I am not clear what that means exactly!

I have not had luck, personally, with Palette ink...but I did not heat set.
'Till it's heated.

I usually hit it about as long as it would take to emboss something...or I hold my hand on the back and when it burns I stop. LOL

I hate heat-setting ink, mainly because the paper curls.
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #888
Stampin' Fool

WOW!!! thank you so much for all your suggestions about ink and cardstock and my bleeding troubles.

I am using Georgia Pacific cardstock (I'm cheap ) and I'm assuming that's why I'm having troubles. So I will start experimenting with other cardstocks and hopefully find a good match. You guys are great, thanks so much!
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #889
Pearl-ExPert

Default Airbrush Trouble

So I got the airbrush kit...not sure why...LOL

Did anyone else have trouble getting it to work?? I am kind of a directions skimmer, but did read the instructions where on #4 in the diagram on the front page it says:

4. Close Air Control Screw slowly. (clockwise) Pressure can be adjusted by how far Air Control Screw is screwed in. [CAUTION] When you are not using this, please close the Air Control ****.

So...what I got from this is CLOSE is Clockwise and OPEN is Counter-clockwise.

But this is backwards!!! I couldn't figure out why my can was staying cold when I thought I closed it.

DH (excited about compressors great and small) actually read the entire back of the instructions and found where it says:

WHEN YOU FINISH OPERATING...
(#2) When you use the Aircan Hose, close the Air Control Screw counter-clockwise and detatch it.

Soooo...I think I wasted half a can of air figuring this out...but it kinda makes me mad that a tiny word like *counter* was left out on the first page. Is it just me?? Who else has tried this?? Am I missing something? Or is this actually a typo? Both instructions are talking about the same thing...I think??
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #890
Kookie Creator

those directions are really detailed and were translated from japanese. Try downloading the directions from the copic library.

www.copicmarker.com/library

Basically, you tighten the bolt and air is flowing (you should hear no air escape, but you'll hear it enter the hose and air adaptor - those fittings should all be nice and tight). You unscrew the bolt to take it apart. The only air you should hear escape is from the air coming back out the hose, not the aircan. You won't waste very much.

for more details, check out my extensive blog posts on airbrushing.

HTH
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #891
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikemarkers View Post
those directions are really detailed and were translated from japanese. Try downloading the directions from the copic library.

www.copicmarker.com/library

Basically, you tighten the bolt and air is flowing (you should hear no air escape, but you'll hear it enter the hose and air adaptor - those fittings should all be nice and tight). You unscrew the bolt to take it apart. The only air you should hear escape is from the air coming back out the hose, not the aircan. You won't waste very much.

for more details, check out my extensive blog posts on airbrushing.

HTH
Thanks!!

I hadn't seen your blog posts on Airbrushing...probably because I didn't think I would ever do it. I do really like how it makes a quick, light easy background. And the speckled look with the brush end looks like my style...I love aged looking things!
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #892
Pearl-ExPert

You're just awesome. Thanks
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #893
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
Thanks!!

I hadn't seen your blog posts on Airbrushing...probably because I didn't think I would ever do it. I do really like how it makes a quick, light easy background. And the speckled look with the brush end looks like my style...I love aged looking things!
I'm looking forward to seeing a sample on your blog. I love the speckled look. I made this card for one of the female soldiers. I airbrushed the background with red stripes. I cut out wavy strips to create a mask for the white area.

I was sure I wasn't going to get into airbrushing, but I've fallen in love and now I use it so much that I think I will need to invest in the air compressor instead of buying the cans. It's a vicious cycle...
Attached Thumbnails
glory-bee.jpg  
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #894
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fura View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing a sample on your blog. I love the speckled look. I made this card for one of the female soldiers. I airbrushed the background with red stripes. I cut out wavy strips to create a mask for the white area.

I was sure I wasn't going to get into airbrushing, but I've fallen in love and now I use it so much that I think I will need to invest in the air compressor instead of buying the cans. It's a vicious cycle...
I have the little can but can't get it to work at all. How do you do yours? The air is coming out but it just makes just makes the marker wet and then it drips everywhere. no spraying of the marker though. Just a mess.
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #895
Polyshrink Goddess

The air can "adaptor" is attached to the gun. The air can (on the left) is attached to the end of the hose. Tighten the knob on top of this can by turning it clockwise. It can be confusing because it make sense to loosen a knob for air to escape, but in this case, you don't. Once it's tightened, you can leave as it is and just insert your marker (chisel end) and use it. You don't need to disconnect it or adjust anything. Just take your marker out and store it away.
Attached Thumbnails
copic-airbrush-00000.jpg  
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #896
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fura View Post
The air can "adaptor" is attached to the gun. The air can (on the left) is attached to the end of the hose. Tighten the knob on top of this can by turning it clockwise. It can be confusing because it make sense to loosen a knob for air to escape, but in this case, you don't. Once it's tightened, you can leave as it is and just insert your marker (chisel end) and use it. You don't need to disconnect it or adjust anything. Just take your marker out and store it away.
I just have the pressured can and that grey top like you have there. No hose or anything. I have tried the copic w/pads to hold it up and tried sketch. the air just doesn't hit the ink right. I don't know how to explain it. sigh
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #897
Polyshrink Goddess

It sounds like you only have the air can. The kit I have comes with everything you need. Here's the link.
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #898
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysnowflake View Post
I just have the pressured can and that grey top like you have there. No hose or anything. I have tried the copic w/pads to hold it up and tried sketch. the air just doesn't hit the ink right. I don't know how to explain it. sigh
What tip of the marker are you using, is there any way for you to take a picture of what ABS do you have, and if possible of the way you are inserting your marker. This may help solve your issue.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #899
Matboard Maniac

After a copic class at my LSS, I bought some paper from them, which they said was Neenah Solar Crest. Is this the same as the Neenah Classic Crest?

I used this paper and stamped my image in Memento ink (recommended here and at the LSS), colored it in with my prismacolor markers and bic mark its (as I don't have copics yet), and the stamped image itself had a lot of ink feathering. I did the exact same thing on Papertrey's paper, and I did not have this problem. I have some Gina K paper that I will try, perhaps this weekend, and see how that does as well.

Has anyone else had luck with Memento Ink and the Neenah paper?
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #900
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4 View Post
After a copic class at my LSS, I bought some paper from them, which they said was Neenah Solar Crest. Is this the same as the Neenah Classic Crest?

I used this paper and stamped my image in Memento ink (recommended here and at the LSS), colored it in with my prismacolor markers and bic mark its (as I don't have copics yet), and the stamped image itself had a lot of ink feathering. I did the exact same thing on Papertrey's paper, and I did not have this problem. I have some Gina K paper that I will try, perhaps this weekend, and see how that does as well.

I mentioned this a couple posts back...I'm not an expert but I have found the Bics and Prismacolor markers seem to feather a lot more than the Copics, so it could be from that. The PTI paper may work better with THOSE particular markers. I use the GP paper, and it's only bad if I color a LOT (like I don't like the shade and I go over & over it with other colors to try and get what I want).
Also, the blender pen makes it feather in a heartbeat.

HTH!

Unread 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #901
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4 View Post

I think the Neenah Solar Crest is 70lb. but I'm not sure.

I use the Neenah Classic Crest Avalanche White 80lb. cover with Memento Tuxedo Black ink all the time. I have no problems with bleeding or feathering. I love both the paper and the ink.
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #902
Pearl-ExPert

my new question is how long do the sketch last? how many refills do you get out of a refill bottle? should i get the little refill tool or can i manage ok without?

also, i read somewhere that some papers will "suck" your ink out. and i'm wondering if that would be the really thick papers like gina k and PTI. if so, would using something like georgia pacific help extend the life of my markers?

now i'm freaked out about using my markers up and having to buy refills. the markers were enough expense in themselves. maybe having LESS markers but having refills on hand is a good idea?
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #903
Kookie Creator

a refill costs a dollar more than the marker, BUT you get 10 full refills for your sketch. So, in the long run, you're paying about 70 cents per refill. IF you color all the time with one color, it's totally worth it to get the refill.

As for how long the marker will last, paper is a Huge factor. Watercolor paper sucks your marker dry. Thinner paper takes much less ink to blend on. Soooo, color on 80# paper and layer it with your 120 # PTI or Gina K. This will extend the life of your marker.
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #904
Rubber Obsessor

I just stick my brush end in the tip of the refill bottle and squeeze a little...
Unread 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #905
Die Cut Diva

I'm SO bad. I just placed my third order for Copics this week. I think I've ordered somewhere around 65 markers.

When does the madness end??? LOL~
Unread 02-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #906
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydal57 View Post
I'm SO bad. I just placed my third order for Copics this week. I think I've ordered somewhere around 65 markers.

The bad news is...I have around 160-some...and I am still writing down colors I *need* on that post-it on my workmat. LOL
Unread 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #907
Pearl-ExPert

And then comes refill shopping...LOL
Unread 02-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #908
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
my new question is how long do the sketch last?
My very first Copic (Sketch B000) went dry yesterday. I had gotten it last summer. However, I knew it would be among the first to go because it is one of the blues I use most for sky. I was prepared---had purchased about a half dozen refill containers for the colors like B000 that would go first. There will probably be other colors still going strong three years from now though.
Unread 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #909
Rubber Obsessor

there just arent enough UKWIM?
Unread 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #910
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
my new question is how long do the sketch last? how many refills do you get out of a refill bottle? should i get the little refill tool or can i manage ok without?

also, i read somewhere that some papers will "suck" your ink out. and i'm wondering if that would be the really thick papers like gina k and PTI. if so, would using something like georgia pacific help extend the life of my markers?

now i'm freaked out about using my markers up and having to buy refills. the markers were enough expense in themselves. maybe having LESS markers but having refills on hand is a good idea?

Because Gina K. Designs cardstock is so smooth, it will not use up as much ink. Our heavy weight card stock (120lb.) will NOT bleed through even when you color heavily. Our lighter weight, (80lb) will bleed through but it will still not use up as much ink as other card stocks mentioned in this thread.

Hope this information helps.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Unread 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #911
Inking Addict

This is my first post and I just ordered roughly 60 Sketch markers. I am so excited and can't wait to get the markers. I need all the help I can find to learn how to use them. Are there any special places I should check out for instruction?
Unread 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #912
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
The bad news is...I have around 160-some...and I am still writing down colors I *need* on that post-it on my workmat. LOL
Oh, the 65 I ordered this week is in addition to the ~110 that I already have. LOL!

I should just admit that I will probably want them all and work out my strategy to get them.
Unread 02-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #913
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Yahoo to scrappingramma

Here's another blog that helped me.

http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html
Unread 02-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #914
Pearl-ExPert

I just ordered 14 Sketch Copics. I have to do a little at a time. This is where I order my Copics: www.oozak.com
They have great prices and wonderful customer service plus free shipping w/ a $50 order!
Unread 02-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #915
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydal57 View Post

After you have 322 Sketch markers?
Unread 02-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #916
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
I think the Neenah Solar Crest is 70lb. but I'm not sure.

I use the Neenah Classic Crest Avalanche White 80lb. cover with Memento Tuxedo Black ink all the time. I have no problems with bleeding or feathering. I love both the paper and the ink.
I was wondering where do you purchase the Neenah Classic Crest Avalanche White 80lb cover?

Thanks for your help!
Unread 02-14-2009, 05:35 AM   #917
Mad Swapper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpaper2 View Post
After you have 322 Sketch markers?
But then you need the Various Inks, wide markers, different nibs, air brushing supplies, Spicas.....can you tell I'm an addict?
Unread 02-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #918
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpaper2 View Post
I was wondering where do you purchase the Neenah Classic Crest Avalanche White 80lb cover?

Thanks for your help!
I went to www.xpedx.com and did a search for a store near me. I got a whole package of 250 sheets for about $31.
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #919
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappingramma View Post
Here's another blog that helped me.

http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html
Yes! Her blog is very good. She colors images beautifully. One thing I would like to add, she mentions the only difference between Sketch and Ciao markers are the size and cost -- while that is true there are more differences:
1. The Sketch marker comes in all 322 colors, while the Ciao does not.
2. You are able to airbrush with Sketch and you can not airbrush with Ciao.

Someone else may want to chime in if they know of other differences. But, the ability to airbrush makes a huge difference to me and that is why I don't buy Ciao markers.

Last edited by palmettostate; 02-14-2009 at 09:38 AM..
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #920
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon View Post
But then you need the Various Inks, wide markers, different nibs, air brushing supplies, Spicas.....can you tell I'm an addict?
You're right! How could I forget all those other things?
I confess - I'm an addict too!