Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coluzzle question

After Beate's sketch challenge a while back that required a big circle I found out I was deficient a circle cutting system. Seems like alot of people use the coluzze so I ordered it from SU. I just got it out to use it and it doesn't seem to work at all. I am confused. Is the little blad supposed to move all around or is there something wrong with mine?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me on this!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #2  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the blade is supposed to move all around - except for two points where there are those places ( one on each side ) in each channel where the plastic is present . You need to have the blade correctly postioned and apply a fair bit of pressure. Now, I am afraid I don't know the * correct * position - but my husband and teenage son seemed to grasp that. I have to say it took me a lot of unsuccessful attempts to use my colluzle without a problem - and I mean I put it away in frustration for a month at a time ... but somehow I finally just caught on... it does work - but give yourself a little time with it ( or lot if you are like me! ). One thing that helped me was to tape the colluze template in place on my paper with removable tape - and then that way if if I didn't cut through in areas of the channel - I could just lift a small area of the colluzle template and have a peek - and then go back and re do the areas that I didn't cut.

You are always left with two little tabs of paper after using the the colluzzle to cut and I just cut those with a pair of scissors or a craft knife and hope for the best. But as I 've caught on I am more and more pleased with it!

good luck - it does work - even I've caught on! Best wishes to you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 02:41 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Another tip, make sure you removed the thin plastic coating from both sides of the template--it is very hard to see.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Melissa, when I first got my Coluzzle I found the info at the ProvoCraft website super helpful. Here's a link to the website

http://www.provocraft.com/products/i...hp?cl=coluzzle

Toward the bottom on the left hand side you will see 'learning center' - click on the links to explore. It really helped me.

Have fun and enjoy your Coluzzle, I love mine! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

And make sure you're using the foam pad under your paper and template. It's not just packing material

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Definitely make sure that you have removed the plastic wrap on the template. It is hard to see, but it is there and HAS to be removed to work properly. Some people have a learning curve with Coluzzle, others dont. I found it to be easy to use immediately. Hold the knife straight up and down. That will help to get a clean cut. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

It does take some people a little bit to get the hang of using it, others take to it right away--hang in there.

Here's a hint if you find yourself going to the wrong channel of template (starting on one size and then cutting from another size on the other half of the template). You can use permanent markers to color the channels different colors.

Alright! Who took my coffee cup??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you look at the knife when you're not using it, the blade should swivel all the way around - it needs to be able to follow the channel of the guide.

Like the other posters mentioned, you absolutely have to use the white cutting mat that came with the set; if you try using a self-healing mat, it won't let the blade swivel like it needs to. And a glass mat won't let you get the knife far enough down into the guide for it to follow.

When you first use it, if you're having problems getting the knife to follow the guide, try holding the knife like you held a pencil when you were little and didn't know the right way to do it - hold it in your fist. It helps you keep the knife straight up and down and helps you get a feel for how the knife should feel when it follows the guide.

And finally, if your knife doesn't feel like it's gliding along, try holding the template up in the air and following thru the cutting tracks with your knife held backwards (so you're "cutting" with the dull side of the knife.) You'd be amazed at the amount of plastic residue that comes up out of those tracks. Especially on some of the more detailed templates like the alphabets, it makes your knife less likely to catch on the template.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Default Thanks so much!

Thank you so much, ladies, for your expedient and thorough advice! I did finally figure it out. But, all these tips are going to be very helpful to me as I continue to try to figure this thing out. I didn't notice any film so I will have to check that out. I had the blade going the wrong way and I did, as someone mentionned) think that mat was packing material! lol! I find myself thinking that the internet is so amazing! Thank you all for taknig the the time to answer my questions!!!

Hugs to you all!!!

Melissa (MWohlers)
Reply With Quote Likes