Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Question colored pencils?

I want to invest in some colored pencils but not sure what brand to go with. I was set to get the prismacolor pencils until I read that the quality was not as good now. Some people were having trouble with them blending. It seems that the company has changed where the pencils are being manufactured. I am not sure if I should look into another brand. If so, which ones? Any advice?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Crimping Master

I've been impressed with the Koh-i-noor pencils. Not a big color selection but the blendability with gamsol is nice.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Glitter Guru

I LOVE the RoseArt colored pencils. I know that might sound strange, cause they're so inexpensive, but I use them all the time and really love them! They have sets of 100 colors and they're only around $10.00 and they come in a nice storage holder! You get such a great variety of colors for a great price. These are just my favorite, they blend nice and you can get really soft shading with them. I don't use gamsol with them, I just color and shade by hand, which is really easy to do with some practice. I've bought my sets from Target in the kids craft aisle.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Die Cut Diva

I use Crayola pencil crayons mostly. I do have some Roseart, but I find the leads quite a bit harder than the Crayola. The Crayolas have pretty soft leads which makes them blend easily and they work beautifully with oms. I also have the Koh-i-noor and they are excellent. I just recently bought a set of 12 of the prisma's but, like you said, they've changed where they manufacture them, so I too have heard about the quality issues with the new pencils so will look to see if I can find older sets if I ever want to get prismas. But for now, my Crayola pencil crayons work fabulous.
ETA: I forgot to mention I bought my Crayolas at Superstore (in Canada), but I have seen the same set at Walmart. Its 120 crayons for about $7 or $8 when all the new supplies are put out.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I have old Prismas and I love them. I also have Roseart & Crayola water color pencils that I like a lot. Here's a great tutorial for using pencils (any medium, actually):

Watercolor Pencil Tip! |

Vic
Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

I just bought the whole set of 72 derwent coloursoft pencils after trying out a smaller set. I blend them with baby oil or gamsol. I can't say enough how much I love using them!! (Actually thinking about selling all of my copics because of them).

I do have to say though, that they work a lot better on couture 80lb card stock than georgia pacific. I am sure there are other papers too that work just as well, but wanted to let you know that I could not get good results with georgia pacific.

Here's a card I colored the image with them. And here's another one.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I honestly love my RoseArt pencils too. They were the first set I bought when I got back into stamping. They are the only pencils I use for House Mouse. I absolutely adore them. I don't use Gamsol, Baby Oil or any other blending solution. I do everything by hand.

I got a set of Kooh-I-Noor on clearance at JoAnn's recently. I love those pencils. For art pencils I was always a huge Prisma fan. I do have an older set that I love. I use them sparingly.

The Kooh-I-Noor is one of the best quality color pencils I have ever worked with.

I have been eyeing the Derwent's too. I have a few of their other art tools in collection and I know they make great products.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Ellibelle- Your coloring is amazing! OMG! That mouse just is "IT!" You have some skills!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
Kookie Creator

I just bought the SU watercolor pencils. I love them. They are softer than the crayola pencils i have and they blend well. I use a blender pen when needed also.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

As for regular pencils for blending (I use baby oil), I prefer Crayola because, as someone already mentioned, they're softer and lay down color better, blending easier. (IMHO). I also have a large set of RoseArt, and I love them for their huge color selection. I have a 12 pencil set of Staetler pencils too. Nice and soft, blends well, but I don't have a huge color selection of those (got them 59% off @ Michael's). I tend to use them all on projects.

As for watercolor pencils, I have recently found that I really like my S/U set! I've had them for years, wasn't initially impressed with them, but maybe because my technique is improving, I really liked using them recently. Their red is SO red! Perfect for summer fruit.....I also have some watercolor crayons (not S/U) that I bought with another 50% coupon at Mike's. Full color selection (I think there's 24 crayons)...easy to use.
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Kookie Creator

I do love my SU watercolor pencils, but I also love a brand called Derwent Inktense--these are super soft, easy to blend types and work great as watercolors and with those blender pens. You can also get them individually. You may think about just buying one or two and trying them out to see how you like them.

Cheers, Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Inktense are not regular watercolor pencils though - the 'lead' is ink-based, and the colors do not blend after they are washed once.

I have a pretty good stash of Prismacolors that will hold me for quite some time, but have been exploring alternatives and have a few comparative posts on my blog. I have some other brands on order to try, including the Artists line and Coloursoft from Derwent, and a line from Creative Mark.

Here are links to those posts:
Mama Dini's Stamperia: colored pencil comparison
Mama Dini's Stamperia: more pencil info
Mama Dini's Stamperia: more pencil stuff!

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #13
Crimping Master

I love the rich colours of the Kohinoor pencils but I have even used dollar store pencils and even they will blend a bit with OMS.

I might have to be on the lookout for the Crayolas, especially at this time of year (back to school)!!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Crimping Master

For you Canadian ladies, I just noticed that Staples has the 60 pack of Crayolas on sale for $5.99.

Think I'm going to get some today as you can never have enough colouring devices LOL!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
As for regular pencils for blending (I use baby oil), I prefer Crayola because, as someone already mentioned, they're softer and lay down color better, blending easier. (IMHO). I also have a large set of RoseArt, and I love them for their huge color selection. I have a 12 pencil set of Staetler pencils too. Nice and soft, blends well, but I don't have a huge color selection of those (got them 59% off @ Michael's). I tend to use them all on projects.

As for watercolor pencils, I have recently found that I really like my S/U set! I've had them for years, wasn't initially impressed with them, but maybe because my technique is improving, I really liked using them recently. Their red is SO red! Perfect for summer fruit.....I also have some watercolor crayons (not S/U) that I bought with another 50% coupon at Mike's. Full color selection (I think there's 24 crayons)...easy to use.
Which Water Color Crayons do you have? I use all SU stuff but really don't want to invest the $$$ into the SU Water Color Wonder. I've been hoping to find someone on here who has tried another brand and can recommend them. Any help in this matter would be great Thanks!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Silly question. Can you blend any prismacolor pencil with water or a blender pen or do you have to have some sort of oil medium? I'm so confused. I have a set of 12 water color pencils from Prisma that are probably 10 years old. They blend well with water, but my color choices are limited. I keep searching for new ones and don't want to buy the wrong ones.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Crimping Master

I love my Rose Art colored pencils--great color selection, super price, and they blend well with baby oil on Georgia Pacific paper. For watercolor pencils, I like the Derwent brand (used a Hobby Lobby coupon so they weren't too expensive). Another favorite way to color is with watercolor crayons. I have the Lyra brand and they last a long time and blend very easily.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxmom08View Post
Which Water Color Crayons do you have? I use all SU stuff but really don't want to invest the $$$ into the SU Water Color Wonder. I've been hoping to find someone on here who has tried another brand and can recommend them. Any help in this matter would be great Thanks!
I have the Lyra Aquacolors also and I like them - nice creamy colors and great for filling larger areas. I think I got mine on ebay, by the way - usually can find good deals there - I may have even bought them used, and they are seriously going to last me forever. I have the set of 24 - I don't use them super often, because I prefer the color range I have in pencils (I used Derwent watercolor pencils)...the crayon set I have are brighter and I tend toward more earthy colors. Just depends on your preference.

Quote:

Silly question. Can you blend any prismacolor pencil with water or a blender pen or do you have to have some sort of oil medium? I'm so confused. I have a set of 12 water color pencils from Prisma that are probably 10 years old. They blend well with water, but my color choices are limited. I keep searching for new ones and don't want to buy the wrong ones.
The watercolor pencils are water soluble so they will blend with water or a blender pen. The Prismacolor premier or softcore pencils are wax-based so you need a solvent to blend them, such as mineral spirits, baby oil, etc.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
Insane Embellisher

The box says, "Water Soluble Wax Pastel Set". It's made by Reeves and I found it in the art supply aisle @ Michael's. They also have a smaller 8 or 12 set there (I think it's by Staetler ~ maybe?), but this set had several hues of each color, which makes it nice for blending.

Good luck!

Blessings,
Kat

P.S. Hi, Dina!
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #20

Hey girl! I need to write you back, huh...sorry!

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Mad Swapper

KOH I NOORS and a blender pen are my best friend. lol