Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Question Clear Glitter Highlights

What do you use to add clear glittery spots to your stamped images? Wink of Stella pens are okay, but I would like there to be something that you could just dip a brush into to get a similar effect. Is there such a thing? Oh, also last longer and be cheaper than Wink of Stella.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Windsor and newton make an "iridescent medium" that might be what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

The Spectrum Noir glitter overlay pens work well for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016W...jIL&ref=plSrch

The results vary slightly depending on the card surface and the medium you apply it over. The brush tip makes it easy to apply. I got a similar 3-pack about a year ago, and I'm still on the first one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Spectrums are great and if you want dimensional glittery dots - Nuvo drops are nice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Well, I had all of the mediums mentioned (and more); so I thought I would do my own comparison test. The Spectrum Noir hadn't been used at all; removing the spacer was easy enough but it took a pair of pliers to get the liquid flow to connect with the brush. The white samples don't show up at all, I'm afraid, but the order is the same on both. I would say the Spectrum Noir is a bit more impressive than the Wink of Stella, but only a bit. The Mod Podge Extreme Glitter and Sparkle have the glossy background with multi-color glitter interspersed, but I much prefer the clear of the Wink and Spectrum brushes. The Winsor and Newton produces a pearlized effect, which is different but neat. I will have to play with that one some more.

For now, my preference will be the Spectrum Noir.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I use Sakura gelly roll pens but they are a fine point, though you could cover a characters shirt or something. I did before I knew about the brush pens ^^^ Not a whole BG.

"Clear" is the stumbling block bc in all these cases the more sparkle, the less color show through imho and only when you are looking straight on. Angle it and it gets worse. Pretty but if you are using pastels it is esp noticeable. It's the trade off.

I dont know if diamond stickles might be good. You can apply them thinly. I have not tried that yet. You can wash off with water so I suspect you can cut it with water and paint with it but it might ruin the brush and you may have to do more than one application.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I dont know if diamond stickles might be good. You can apply them thinly. I have not tried that yet. You can wash off with water so I suspect you can cut it with water and paint with it but it might ruin the brush and you may have to do more than one application.
That's exactly what I do ... make a small dot of Stickles on an acrylic block or plastic pan, add a drop or two of water until I get the consistency I want, and use a small paint brush that is now dedicated to this, since getting the glitter really out of the brush is not an easy thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm experimenting with an extremely economical alternative --DecoArt Glitter Paint. These are inexpensive craft level paints that come in two types, Glamour Dust and Craft Twinkles. I'm working with both (2 ounces cost $2.36 from DecoArt online, where I bought them). They both come in many colors, but I'm using colorless with glitter in both forms. Glamour Dust contains ultra fine glitter, and I'm using "Silver Bling" for colorless accents. I use a very fine brush. Craft Twinkles has slightly coarser glitter. It also comes in many colors. I'm using "Crystal," which contains holographic glitter in a clear base. So far I like both. They work on both black and white papers. Now, I just want to make sure the effect lasts for awhile. I like the glitter gel pens I got from Staples on sale, but they're running out, and these 2 ounce bottles could last me awhile. I like it that I have complete control over the level of glitter effect just by how I load the brush. I haven't tried DecoArt's colored glitter paints yet.

Last edited by Louisa May; 10-04-2017 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Since you bought the DecoArt online, does that mean the major craft stores aren't carrying it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I'm pretty sure major craft stores carry it, but I can't rely on finding any particular product in stock at my Michael's. It's hit or miss there, and JoAnn is farther away. DecoArt's online service is very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

OH I LOVE THOSE DECOART PAINTS! I am so obsessed with Glamour Dust I keep it right beside me on the table. I have never done that with a paint before.

I found out about them from a YouTuber ElementalDesigns. She uses them a lot in her pretty creations.

I bought my paint at Hobby Lobby.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm so excited to read about all these suggestions! I love shimmer and sparkles. I go through Wink of Stella like it's water. It would be nice to find a cheaper way to add sparkle and shine to my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

great thread, subbing.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I found another shimmery medium tonight. I found Americana StarLite Varnish. It is very pretty. Cost $2.99 at Hobby Lobby. I bought it full price. I know, scandalous.

Delta also has a Glitter Varnish too in the same section where the deco paints are.

I use a lot of glitz and glazes in my creations. I am always looking for new ones. Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Love this tip about Starlite Varnish! I'm going to try that also.
FYI All these DecoArt glitter products work on many surfaces, not just paper. DecoArt's Youtube channel has this info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Smooch Glitz. It's not the "HOT" thing anymore, I guess, but I still love my Smooches. These Glitz Smooches are so darned easy to use- it's like nail polish, the top is a brush, dip it in and brush on sparkles. (I highly recommend the regular Smooch inks as well- they have a gorgeous metallic gleam!)

Smooch Glitz™ - Review and Project Ideas

That said, I also use the Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust Clear a lot. I recommend getting on the Paperpapers.com email list- they frequently have 70 - 75% off clearance, and as you can see (if they have them left) the price is fabulous when you take that much off the already clearance price:

https://www.paperpapers.com/gelly-ro...ouch-2-pk.html

I buy regularly from Paperpapers and I can highly recommend them. Their emails let you know when they have sales & discounts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Pat, do you get the smooch glitz from paperpapers.com? I generally have not been seeing it, in any stores lately.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
Thanks Pat, do you get the smooch glitz from paperpapers.com? I generally have not been seeing it, in any stores lately.

Shirl
No, Shirl, I'd probably have to go trolling online to find it, but it's still out there. Possibly at Clearsnap- it's their product.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Clearsnap looks like it is for wholesale only. One needs a number to register.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Well, phooey! But there are places listed under stores. Maybe try those?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I did a video a few years ago about another option here:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

After reading about the DecoArt paint, I had to try it. After searching a bit, since a couple places wouldn't ship to Hawaii, I ordered from Artistsclub.com . Shipping was $10.99 for 8 2 oz. bottles, so $14.16 plus $10.99 shipping, but worth it to me to get the paints. Anyway, when my order arrived it was in a box with 4 bottles each in 2 plastic bags. The copper paint had leaked out all over the other 3 bottles of paint. Not what I'd expect after paying $11 for shipping. This story has a happy ending. When I called them to let them know, the customer service lady was super nice. Almost before I could finish explaining what a big mess it was, she told me she'd send a replacement FedEx Express. I felt kind of bad, and told her the bottle was still mostly full and I had just wanted to let her know about the packing. She still apologized, and said I'd paid for a full bottle and that's what I should get. So, A+ for Artistsclub.com customer service.

P.S.: The 2 oz. bottles were only $1.77.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
That's exactly what I do ... make a small dot of Stickles on an acrylic block or plastic pan, add a drop or two of water until I get the consistency I want, and use a small paint brush that is now dedicated to this, since getting the glitter really out of the brush is not an easy thing to do.

Great idea!!! I have lots of stickies and love them. I always seem to need a little sparkle on every card! Be it rhinestones, sticklers, or Wink of Stella. This will add to my choices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I bought several colors of both DecoArt Glamour Dust and Twinkles. I had postcards of Chartres Cathedral stained glass windows from Dover that I wanted to copy for my Christmas cards. I copied them on xerox paper on my big HP all-in-one bomb (worst purchase ever made --won't print on card stock), and the colors came out dull and icky. Desperate I got out those rich colored Glamour Dust paints and duplicated as best I could the colors and painted over the copies with these richer colors and a tiny brush, risking the whole thing becoming a glittered mess. But, wow! I almost forgave my printer. Glamour Dusts are the paints with teensy glitter pieces, so with the rich colors, my copies look gleaming but not glittery. It's a good imitation of subtly lighted illumination. I just can't believe this. I'm waiting a few days to see if it lasts. I'll post again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I bought several colors of both DecoArt Glamour Dust and Twinkles. I had postcards of Chartres Cathedral stained glass windows from Dover that I wanted to copy for my Christmas cards. I copied them on xerox paper on my big HP all-in-one bomb (worst purchase ever made --won't print on card stock), and the colors came out dull and icky. Desperate I got out those rich colored Glamour Dust paints and duplicated as best I could the colors and painted over the copies with these richer colors and a tiny brush, risking the whole thing becoming a glittered mess. But, wow! I almost forgave my printer. Glamour Dusts are the paints with teensy glitter pieces, so with the rich colors, my copies look gleaming but not glittery. It's a good imitation of subtly lighted illumination. I just can't believe this. I'm waiting a few days to see if it lasts. I'll post again.
Louisa May,

One thing I've found is printing onto glossy paper/cardstock can make a HUGE difference in how the print looks. I printed a photo of a friend's quilt on plain cardstock, and it looked flat and unimpressive, but the same picture, printed on glossy was absolutely WOW! I couldn't believe the difference. Just a quick FYI!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Couldn't agree more about the paper. But my huge, new bomb won't print on anything heavier than xerox paper. I've tried everything. I have to get tech help in person because there's nothing online or over the phone that helps with this monster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

The effects are lasting so far. In natural light it looks like illumination. In artificial light it looks like illumination plus a light dusting of glitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Just an FYI: if you buy the iridescent medium, make sure it's for watercolors, and not the one for acrylic paint. The one for acrylics does give you a pearlescent finish. But the one for watercolors is transparent and gives you a shimmery look. I actually refilled an empty WOS container with the watercolor iridescent medium; I tried this brush pen with a new WOS pen, and cannot tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

My sample swatch in Post #5 is watercolor iridescent medium. Uh, what's a WOS container?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

That is the initials for Wink of Stella. But now I have a question regarding the watercolor iridescent medium. Which product is this?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
That is the initials for Wink of Stella. But now I have a question regarding the watercolor iridescent medium. Which product is this?

Thanks
Shirl
Shirl- look what I found:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Mine is the same stuff, just in an older model bottle. I like that it doesn't dry up or anything over the years. While I've wanted to try the iridescent medium in an aqua brush or spray bottle I was concerned that it would clog. Using it in the emptied Wink of Stella applicator sounds like a safe way to proceed.
Reply With Quote Likes