Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Kookie Creator

Choked with Making Memories

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone out there still has their box for their 12x12 Making Memories paper trimmer. If you do, would you mind telling me if ANYWHERE on the box (because, of course, there are no instructions) it says that it's designed to cut 2 pieces of paper/1 piece of cardstock? I'm currently fighting with Making Memories over a warranty issue with the blade. I bought my trimmer in June and used it to cut 2 pieces of lightweight cardstock at the same time. It jammed up or something and the blade chipped in a couple places. They say it's user error and won't replace the blade/trimmer. I'm sorry but, even if it does say something like that on the box, a $70 trimmer should be able to cut 2 pieces of paper at one time without being destroyed!! ...AND if you're going to design a $70 paper trimmer that CAN'T handle 2 pieces of paper, then maybe just maybe if you're not going to stand behind your warranty, you should manufacture replacement parts so I don't have to go buy a whole new trimmer because of one blade!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm soooo NOT impressed and I know you'll understand! Trimmers being the bane of most of our existences...

Thanks!

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

I have looked at every inch of the box and its nowhere to be found that it says 2 pieces of paper/1 piece of cardstock.

HTH
Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Kookie Creator

Thank you!! I think this will help with my argument! Even though I still don't think I did anything wrong, how can they expect us to know to limit it to 2 pieces of paper if there are NO INSTRUCTIONS and it doesn't say anything even on the box. Good grief!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

I just bought one 3 days ago. I've just checked the box. It says nothing abt the number of sheets that it can cut. However, on the cutter's plastis paper grip itself, it's written that "to cut, place 1-2 sheets of papers under the plastic paper grip".
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, I'm surprised they are giving you a hard time. I have always heard great things about their customer service. Maybe you could call and talk to someone different and get a different response. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Ugh, I feel your pain. I have not been pleased with my MM trimmer. I NEVER cut more than 1 piece of cardstock, have never dropped it, and yet the blade has a nick in it that mangles my thicker cardstock (like SU and PTI). Plus it doesn't cut straight. Of course, I was basically told I was out of luck. Guess I won't be buying any MM anymore...

Hope you somehow get your issue resolved - good luck!

nina
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Inking Addict

Sorry you're having problems and hope they get resolved. Frankly, I'm not excited about mine. I've had it about 3 years and have hardly used it. I'm sorry I bought it, actually. (Just sayin.')
Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Sorry this is happening to you! So not fair considering that it doesn't say anywhere that you shouldn't cut 2 sheets! I have one that has been great but you can bet that if something goes wrong with it I will choose a friendlier company to buy my next one from! I haven't found it yet but there is another thread about them and their unwillingness to replace the blade and believe me, you are not alone on this. I mean come on, shouldn't the blade on a cutter be a replaceable part?! I bet if they knew how many potential buyers were reading about their crappy customer service they might re-think their attitude.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

My sister had the MM one It didn't cut right from the beginning. Then after 4 months the blade broke and MM would not replace it. She got the SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE and that was it.

Personally I will NEVER buy one due to their customer seervice and not being able to replace parts separetely.

I really think they should replace since it was not stated anywhere on the box and NO instructions were included.

When you are finished with this order you really should report it to the BBB.
Many shoppers look at this site before ordering from a company.

http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/

Last edited by meluvstampin; 01-28-2010 at 02:45 AM..
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Die Cut Diva

I have this cutter and actually am on my second one. I replaced the first one when the blade began chewing up my cardstock rather than cutting smoothly.

The plastic guide does say to place 1-2 pieces of paper under guide. To me that means paper like printed 20-24#, not cardstock.

Personally, I only cut one sheet of cardstock or printed paper at a time on any cutter. I feel you get a more precise cut that way.

Since there is guarantee written on the box only that the blade never needs sharpening, I don't see why they would replace the blade for any reason.

When my cutter (which gets a lot of use) stopped working to my satisfaction, I just replaced it.

I don't see anything lasting for ever!

Patti
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by vannykView Post
I just bought one 3 days ago. I've just checked the box. It says nothing abt the number of sheets that it can cut. However, on the cutter's plastis paper grip itself, it's written that "to cut, place 1-2 sheets of papers under the plastic paper grip".

I stand corrected. After reading this post, I looked on the box again and didn't see that it said 1-2 sheets of paper; it did however say it on the trimmer. I'm sorry. *ducking.

I am surprised about the customer service you've received. I've had my trimmer replaced twice by MM. The first time was because the measurements were no longer visible; the second time was because I had issues with the blade. Both times, I was told to send an email and state the problems I was having with the trimmers. I do hope you get this resolved.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #12
Compulsive Stamper

I had the same trouble and MM wouldn't replace it. I do remember it saying somewhere that it only could accommodate 1-2 sheets. That doesn't work for me so I dumped it and got one of the high-end cutters (can't remember the name). It cost $179, but I'm loving it.

Debby
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Matboard Maniac

I dont have the making memeories cutter but any good company should abide by their standards ie if something is faulty and you wish to keep customers happy then a replacemant or refund of the faulty merchandise should be replaced.

Out of all the things in the industry which i personally am not happy with are the results of cutters, i get fed up of a company making something raving how good it is only to find the blades still dont cut 100 percent straight all of the time.

I would seriously get high management involved and insist on this and dont let the company get away with it PROVIDED you are in no way wrong.

In all fairness the least they could do is if they had faith in their product just simply REPLACE IT . IF Making memories service is getting poor maybe they need to take a leaf out of Scor -pals book and bring their customer service back up to scratch.
Scor-pal have excellent customer service and gladly replace their scoring tools if a customer requests its faulty by wearing down too quickly.
Get Maknig memories to do their job and stop been so TIGHT and causing unecessary frustration on their customers.
Andrew.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Die Cut Diva

I wish I could remember where I heard about the 1-2 sheets of paper thing. I do know that I knew this from the beginning, but it might have just been from my research HERE before I bought it.

I've been hearing nightmare stories about the blades being destroyed lately, and I really hope mine isn't next. I can't afford to replace a trimmer right now ...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Kookie Creator

I'd forgotten it was written on the plastic guard. It's been a while since I've been able to use it. I guess my main complaint is that, sure, it says 1-2 pieces of paper, but in the world of papercrafting, that's pretty damn vague. Y'know?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Polyshrink Goddess

You know I really think they must have changed the way the manufactured this cutter at some point, because I have been hearing a lot of blade complaints here to, there was another thread (not sure if you were on that thread) I cut usually just one piece of anything at a time, but last week I was cutting 80 pound cardstock two pieces at a time with it, over and over and over, getting nice clean edges and no problems. My cutter is several years old, so I wonder if they are making it with cheaper parts now......hmmm
Old 02-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Kookie Creator

Thought I'd post an update...

I did a lot of back and forth emailing with Amanda in Customer Service at MM. I was polite until I couldn't stand it anymore and then I sent this:
Amanda,

I realize that you, personally, do not manufacture these trimmers and nor do you make the policies at Making Memories. So please don't take this as a personal attack, because it isn't. You have been nothing but helpful, friendly, and polite. However, I would sincerely appreciate if I could be put in touch with the head of customer service and/or have this email forwarded to him/her, because:

1) As discussed yesterday, I was only cutting 2 pieces of paper, not even cardstock weight, at the time. Half way though the cut, the blade seemed to jump the track and was chipped in the process. It hasn't cut properly since.

2) Please refer to the following links to a scrapbooking/card-making site I belong to. I find it difficult to believe that all of these issues with this trimmer are a result of "user error". Perhaps, this is indicative of something needing to change, either in the materials used to make the blade or in the manufacturing process.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=477734

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=478019

3) IF you're are going to manufacture a trimmer that is damaged this easily (while following the instructions that were available to me at the time, I might add), it is completely environmentally irresponsible to not manufacture replacement parts. I now have to throw away an entire $70 trimmer that has been used maybe 30 times because one little piece is damaged?? Talk about a waste!

4) If the trimmer cannot handle 2 pieces of lightweight cardstock, then you need to be specific in your instructions on the plastic paper guard (or perhaps even include instructions!). Tell us specifically the weight of the paper it can handle! In the world of papercrafting, "1 or 2 pieces of paper" is extremely vague.

Finally, please know that this will be the last Making Memories product I will purchase.
Interestingly enough, following this email, I got a response indicating that they are "beginning" to manufacture replacement blades for this trimmer. I also got an email from the supposed head of Customer Service stating that they still think I did something wrong, but that I could expect a replacement blade in approximately 3 months.

Am I being completely cynical by wondering if this is just a ploy to get me to back off and shut up?? "Approximately" 3 months takes me awfully close to the end of the warranty. Hmmm...

Any thoughts? Has anyone else heard this little tidbit from MM?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
Die Cut Diva

I still think paper is paper and card stock is card stock and they are two different things. One is much thicker than the other.

Patti
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #19
Polyshrink Goddess

i have the tonic 12 guillotine cutter...it wasnt cutting exactly straight. i emailed customer service and had a free replacement within one week. no hassle at all

they were wonderful ! with service like that i will buy more of their product....

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
Kookie Creator

So happy you've received a positive reply and I do think you will receive a new trimmer. They replaced one for me when the markings wore off with no problems whatsoever. Then my beautiful granddaughter thought she would trim a stick with it and completely mangled the blade. Boohoo, replaced it with a cheaper fiskars that is ok, but I really loved that mm! I've held onto it, so I'm happy to hear they are making replacement parts. I would be happy to purchase a new blade or carriage whatever, to save a $70 cutter. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

usually when you state " a company is not willing to back their products"
they change there tone a little. I can't believe she meant 3 MONTHS,
RATHER THEN MAYBE 3 WEEKS. Hope they carry through, but you do have to stick to your consumer rights to complain, higher up, if necessary,
meaning Better business bureau

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppydoggrinsView Post
Thought I'd post an update...

I did a lot of back and forth emailing with Amanda in Customer Service at MM. I was polite until I couldn't stand it anymore and then I sent this:
Amanda,

I realize that you, personally, do not manufacture these trimmers and nor do you make the policies at Making Memories. So please don't take this as a personal attack, because it isn't. You have been nothing but helpful, friendly, and polite. However, I would sincerely appreciate if I could be put in touch with the head of customer service and/or have this email forwarded to him/her, because:

1) As discussed yesterday, I was only cutting 2 pieces of paper, not even cardstock weight, at the time. Half way though the cut, the blade seemed to jump the track and was chipped in the process. It hasn't cut properly since.

2) Please refer to the following links to a scrapbooking/card-making site I belong to. I find it difficult to believe that all of these issues with this trimmer are a result of "user error". Perhaps, this is indicative of something needing to change, either in the materials used to make the blade or in the manufacturing process.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=477734

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=478019

3) IF you're are going to manufacture a trimmer that is damaged this easily (while following the instructions that were available to me at the time, I might add), it is completely environmentally irresponsible to not manufacture replacement parts. I now have to throw away an entire $70 trimmer that has been used maybe 30 times because one little piece is damaged?? Talk about a waste!

4) If the trimmer cannot handle 2 pieces of lightweight cardstock, then you need to be specific in your instructions on the plastic paper guard (or perhaps even include instructions!). Tell us specifically the weight of the paper it can handle! In the world of papercrafting, "1 or 2 pieces of paper" is extremely vague.

Finally, please know that this will be the last Making Memories product I will purchase.
Interestingly enough, following this email, I got a response indicating that they are "beginning" to manufacture replacement blades for this trimmer. I also got an email from the supposed head of Customer Service stating that they still think I did something wrong, but that I could expect a replacement blade in approximately 3 months.

Am I being completely cynical by wondering if this is just a ploy to get me to back off and shut up?? "Approximately" 3 months takes me awfully close to the end of the warranty. Hmmm...

Any thoughts? Has anyone else heard this little tidbit from MM?

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

I have one and have never been too pleased with it. It leaves the cut edge slightly raised. It did make this horrible screeching noise for a long time. I took it apart and put it back together and that seemed to fix that problem. It seemed like it was in a bind. Next cutter won't be a MM. I would agree with another poster on here to call the company again and talk with someone different. Good luck.