Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cardstock LBS

Okay...:rolleyes: I have few questions regarding some CS I have some colorbok CS that I got at walmart because it was cheap.....does anyone know the LBS and would you recommend using it to make cards?? Also have My Minds Eye patterned paper same question.

Thanks,

ang
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't remember the exact weight of Colorbok cardstock, but I think it is pretty thick paper, and would probably be okay to use to make cards.

Most pattern paper is not as thick as the solid color cardstocks, so I would probably use it for layering on top of the cardstock, and not use it as an actual card base.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I don't remember the exact weight of Colorbok cardstock, but I think it is pretty thick paper, and would probably be okay to use to make cards.

Most pattern paper is not as thick as the solid color cardstocks, so I would probably use it for layering on top of the cardstock, and not use it as an actual card base.
Thank you so much!! I have read many forums and a lot say " Quality Cardstock" I just wanted to make sure I am using the right ones. I have many types but colorbok is the only one I was unable to determine on my own.... as for the pattern paper I know I should have been more clear as to what my question was ( I have many of these too... ) I wanted to make sure I am spending my money on something "worth it"

what are some of others favorites and what are some that you use to stamp on I'de hate to work really hard on coloring, embossing and so on if the paper I'm using is not that great.

Also, I am sorry I have so many questions. It is just that I am very new to cardmaking and just want to be sure I am doing it right
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by angannyView Post
Thank you so much!! I have read many forums and a lot say " Quality Cardstock" I just wanted to make sure I am using the right ones. I have many types but colorbok is the only one I was unable to determine on my own.... as for the pattern paper I know I should have been more clear as to what my question was ( I have many of these too... ) I wanted to make sure I am spending my money on something "worth it"

what are some of others favorites and what are some that you use to stamp on I'de hate to work really hard on coloring, embossing and so on if the paper I'm using is not that great.

Also, I am sorry I have so many questions. It is just that I am very new to cardmaking and just want to be sure I am doing it right
First, take a deep breath and relax! There really is no "right way" - just whatever feels right to you. The best thing you can do is start with a small amount of whatever type of paper you want to try, and play with it a little. If you're happy with your results, then you know you can buy more.

When the swap forums talk about "quality card stock" , unless the swap lists a specific required vendor, they just mean that your base card needs to be heavy enough to stand up to the weight of whatever you're layering on it. A lot of people here use Georgia Pacific white cardstock from Wal-Mart and are very happy with it for card bases, and it works well for stamping and coloring. Once you have a good-weight base card, the weight of the layers isn't as big a deal and you can use somewhat lighter weight paper.

With patterned paper, a typical mistake when starting out is to get caught up in some of the big slabs or stacks of patterned paper - it seems like you're getting a lot of paper for the money, but when you actually start trying to use it, you're usually really lucky if you like even half of what's in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Aloha Cheryl,

Thank you so much!!! This really helps a lot. now I know I am in the clear...Yay!!!

only thing is I did but too of the my minds eye big packs..oops...

thanks again!

ang
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by angannyView Post
Aloha Cheryl,

Thank you so much!!! This really helps a lot. now I know I am in the clear...Yay!!!

only thing is I did but too of the my minds eye big packs..oops...

thanks again!

ang
Don't worry about buying the big packs of My Minds Eye paper. I've bought them too. They really do have a lot of pretty patterns in their packs. You will be able to use quite a lot of the paper on cards.

For the ones you don't use for cards, you can easily make your own envelopes. You put the pattern on the inside, and the white on the outside.

Here is a great tutorial for making your own envelopes. You don't even need to measure the paper:

The Scrapinator: The Easy Peasy 3 Minute Envelope

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Don't worry about buying the big packs of My Minds Eye paper. I've bought them too. They really do have a lot of pretty patterns in their packs. You will be able to use quite a lot of the paper on cards.

For the ones you don't use for cards, you can easily make your own envelopes. You put the pattern on the inside, and the white on the outside.

Here is a great tutorial for making your own envelopes. You don't even need to measure the paper:

Thanks I am really gonna try this I mke a lot of cards odd shaped!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So true! I was talking about the Provo Craft Slabs and Die CUts with A View stacks - although a lot of the newer DCWV stacks are really lovely, and nice heavy weight. The ones I got when I was starting out, not so much. I do use them for envelopes, though, and for testing out projects to make sure they work before I sacrifice a piece of my good stash. I also found that even the truly hideous pieces seem to look ok when made into bows (like Christmas bows) for packages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I've not had good luck with the WM packs of colorbok CS. It tends to crack when I score and fold it. It works fine for layers though. I use the Georgia Pacific white all the time as bases and for coloring, and it is great.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyTrippinView Post
I've not had good luck with the WM packs of colorbok CS. It tends to crack when I score and fold it. It works fine for layers though. I use the Georgia Pacific white all the time as bases and for coloring, and it is great.
Thanks a bunch...I did notice that the colorbok tends to have white edges when scored the inside is not colored.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are scoring your card and the paper cracks, then you see white, that means the paper is white core. The color is only on the front and back. In my opinion.....cheaper paper.

Die Cuts With A View is one brand that is white core. Certainly not good for card making. Even if just used in a die cut machine, you still see the ugly (my opinion) white line on all edges.

The only way to get around the white core showing is to color it with ink. It would give a different look. Some may like it and some may not. Matter of opinion.

For me, I rather spend my money on paper that is solid color through.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with everyone that the paper you bought is perfectly fine. You don't need to get caught up in all the hype about who's buying what paper, etc., etc. I buy what I like and I really don't care what other people think about it - even some Dollar Store stuff is pretty nice. The colorbok is a good paper for layers, but I think its a little too light to use for your bases. I really like Staples brand or Wausau Exact Index 110#(Office Depot (Cda), Walmart & now Michaels). In the States, a lot of people use Georgia Pacific (from Walmart I think). It works great to stamp on, to print digi stamps, and for card bases. I agree with Patti that if you are scoring your fold before you fold it and you are seeing white, then the cardstock is white core. However, I don't agree that white core cardstock is cheaper (or less quality). You can get some Bazzill cardstocks (coordinations) with white core and Close To My Heart cardstock is all white core - all good quality cardstocks in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Well, I'm just out there then.

I buy what I can afford. I saw the new line of Wausau cardstock, and I really want some of that (at Michaels). But it's not in my budget at this time.

Besides I have so much cardstock (12x12 and smaller) that I need to use it up before my DH builds a cardstock house and make me live in it.

I don't look at the weight of my cardstock. It has to fit in my budget. And I layer so much on it that the card is stiff anyway. I figure if I can stand my card up with the layered patterned paper, then I'm doing good.

And I'm one of those who uses Recollections cardstock as well. Like I said...it's what I can afford.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you everyone. SCS is always so helpful. !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I love the cardstock from Georgia Pacific from Wal-Mart. I use it as my base for my cards and I also make envelopes with it. My hubby works for the postal service and he yells at me if my envelopes are not "strong" because it will be torn up by the time it gets where it is going however he approves of the gp kind. I also use it in my cricut. I cut what I want first on that cardstock to make sure I like the size, shape, etc. This saves you from wasting good expensive paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
Well, I'm just out there then.

I buy what I can afford. I saw the new line of Wausau cardstock, and I really want some of that (at Michaels). But it's not in my budget at this time.

Besides I have so much cardstock (12x12 and smaller) that I need to use it up before my DH builds a cardstock house and make me live in it.

I don't look at the weight of my cardstock. It has to fit in my budget. And I layer so much on it that the card is stiff anyway. I figure if I can stand my card up with the layered patterned paper, then I'm doing good.

And I'm one of those who uses Recollections cardstock as well. Like I said...it's what I can afford.
The Wausau cardstock is a little pricey at Michaels (in Calgary anyway - $24 for 250 sheets) and is only $9 at Office Depot for 250 sheets, so its quite economical. I really like the Recollections papers too. They're excellent value for the money and the quality has been vastly improved in the line makeover. There are a lot of people on here who turn their nose up at the Recollections papers. I just ignore them. Use what you can afford and what makes you happy. That's what I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
The Wausau cardstock is a little pricey at Michaels (in Calgary anyway - $24 for 250 sheets) and is only $9 at Office Depot for 250 sheets, so its quite economical. I really like the Recollections papers too. They're excellent value for the money and the quality has been vastly improved in the line makeover. There are a lot of people on here who turn their nose up at the Recollections papers. I just ignore them. Use what you can afford and what makes you happy. That's what I do.
Me, too, Cat. I find it kind of hiliarious that no matter what the product, shoes, purses, cosmetics, and now paper, for Pete's sake, there are people who will take issue with the personal choices you make. It reminds me of being in highschool.

I just have to laugh that there are so many "paper snobs." To each his own, but like you, I buy what I can afford and makes me happy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Me, too, Cat. I find it kind of hiliarious that no matter what the product, shoes, purses, cosmetics, and now paper, for Pete's sake, there are people who will take issue with the personal choices you make. It reminds me of being in highschool.

I just have to laugh that there are so many "paper snobs." To each his own, but like you, I buy what I can afford and makes me happy.
What makes me laugh even more is I can afford the more expensive stuff, but I still buy the Recollections papers. I had a piece of purple cardstock from Recollections and one from SU (elegant eggplant) side by side. You would be hard pressed to tell the colours apart. I asked my husband to tell me which "felt" like the more expensive paper. He picked the Recollections because it was a slightly richer colour purple and smoother to the touch. He said that they even felt about the same weight and stiffness (even though the Recollections is 65lb & the SU is 80lb). Just goes to show you the "expensive stuff" isn't always all that its cracked up to be...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a big fan of the Recollections papers as well - especially their jewel & metallic shimmer collections. As much as I love the substantial feel of my Gina K for card bases, once you start to layer it just isn't that big of a deal. Except for one shade of green I have - not sure where it came from, but when I emboss it with an embossing folder, it almost feels like it's only copy weight and I have to stick it down with liquid glue because my ATG actually tears the paper - the tape pulls the cardstock away from itself instead of releasing from the backing. Easy solution - I won't be embossing that color anymore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I'm a big fan of the Recollections papers as well - especially their jewel & metallic shimmer collections. As much as I love the substantial feel of my Gina K for card bases, once you start to layer it just isn't that big of a deal. Except for one shade of green I have - not sure where it came from, but when I emboss it with an embossing folder, it almost feels like it's only copy weight and I have to stick it down with liquid glue because my ATG actually tears the paper - the tape pulls the cardstock away from itself instead of releasing from the backing. Easy solution - I won't be embossing that color anymore
I haven't had that happen - knock on wood. It would irritate me if it was a colour I used a lot...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you everyone for clearing that up.

I have decided that if my card can stand Then thats good enough for me! I will use what I can afford. Besides I love layers so that makes it easier.

Sadly Hawaii wal-marts do not carry georgia pacific paper I went looking to bad I really wanted to try it. I haven't seen recollections either. I have another brand called paper accents ( I think, threw away wrapping) I like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I haven't had that happen - knock on wood. It would irritate me if it was a colour I used a lot...
Only mildly irritating, really - it's a good shade of green and I have other things I can use it for - the ATG works on it as long as it hasn't been run thru an embossing folder. Also, I probably should have clarified - it's some I've had around for quite a while, and while I'm not certain what brand it is, I know it's NOT Recollections. All of the Recollections I have still has the plastic wrap & label with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

What makes me laugh even more is I can afford the more expensive stuff, but I still buy the Recollections papers. I had a piece of purple cardstock from Recollections and one from SU (elegant eggplant) side by side. You would be hard pressed to tell the colours apart. I asked my husband to tell me which "felt" like the more expensive paper. He picked the Recollections because it was a slightly richer colour purple and smoother to the touch. He said that they even felt about the same weight and stiffness (even though the Recollections is 65lb & the SU is 80lb). Just goes to show you the "expensive stuff" isn't always all that its cracked up to be...
What is the recollection papers everyone is talking about and where can I find it??? I like the sound of it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,910 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdmacView Post
What is the recollection papers everyone is talking about and where can I find it??? I like the sound of it!!!
Recollections is a brand carried by Michaels....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
It's a great cardstock, and especially for the price. The 50-sheet packs are on sale this week for only $3.33, regularly $3.99.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Thank you very much for the info!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

It's a great cardstock, and especially for the price. The 50-sheet packs are on sale this week for only $3.33, regularly $3.99.
I was looking over the kraft cs but it's only 65 lb. Someone recommended on here, not sure if it was you, but I wondered if it was heavy enough for bases?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdmacView Post
Thank you very much for the info!!!
They have a lot of Recollections stuff....stickers, embellishments, paper, even some tool stuff and brads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I was looking over the kraft cs but it's only 65 lb. Someone recommended on here, not sure if it was you, but I wondered if it was heavy enough for bases?
It probably was me - I love the Recollections kraft paper. I couldn't tell you about using it for card bases, though. I seldom if ever make a card base from a color or kraft. I do lots of layered cards and make all my bases from white cardstock, and then attach card fronts. I've used the kraft for fronts and layers and images. It has a lovely color and is smooth to stamp or color on.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

It probably was me - I love the Recollections kraft paper. I couldn't tell you about using it for card bases, though. I seldom if ever make a card base from a color or kraft. I do lots of layered cards and make all my bases from white cardstock, and then attach card fronts. I've used the kraft for fronts and layers and images. It has a lovely color and is smooth to stamp or color on.
I was very impressed with its color. Deeper color than other kraft. I think I will get some for layering! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hi there, 'cat woman': Does Recollections also have white, vanilla and black cardstock? If so how do they compare to SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mis.tyView Post
Hi there, 'cat woman': Does Recollections also have white, vanilla and black cardstock? If so how do they compare to SU?
just checking.... gonna go feel up my paper....

They do have those colours (plus tons more), but they are not as thick as SU, but the surface is just about as smooth and they work really well for layering. They also don't crack when running through the embossing folders like some of the SU papers do (had to toss 3 full card front pieces last night cause it kept happening :( ). It seems to be that the more intense colours of the Recollections are stiffer and smoother and are more comparable to SU. I think it has something to do with the amount of ink that is used to get the deeper colours. I know its harder to cut dark/deep coloured cardstock on my CraftRobo. Anyway, a bit a sidetrack there. I pulled a piece of green Recollections that is very very close to Kiwi kiss and compared the two and except for the weight difference, they look very close in colour and smoothness. And the Recollections is almost as stiff as the SU - not that you were interested in Kiwi Kiss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

just checking.... gonna go feel up my paper....

They do have those colours (plus tons more), but they are not as thick as SU, but the surface is just about as smooth and they work really well for layering. They also don't crack when running through the embossing folders like some of the SU papers do (had to toss 3 full card front pieces last night cause it kept happening :( ). It seems to be that the more intense colours of the Recollections are stiffer and smoother and are more comparable to SU. I think it has something to do with the amount of ink that is used to get the deeper colours. I know its harder to cut dark/deep coloured cardstock on my CraftRobo. Anyway, a bit a sidetrack there. I pulled a piece of green Recollections that is very very close to Kiwi kiss and compared the two and except for the weight difference, they look very close in colour and smoothness. And the Recollections is almost as stiff as the SU - not that you were interested in Kiwi Kiss.
Very interesting! Well the SU cardstock can be a little thicker depending on the colour too. How do you find the ink on Recollections? Does it bleed or do they stamp as well as SU cardstock?

I'll have to try a pack or two to see what I think, but I do appreciate your responses. It's always nice to get a little feedback before trying something. Right now I am out of SU whisper white and I won't be ordering any SU probably until near the end of May.

I also like the idea of being able to do some experimenting with card designs on less expensive paper. Do you do that? Oh and I do like Kiwi Kiss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mis.tyView Post
Very interesting! Well the SU cardstock can be a little thicker depending on the colour too. How do you find the ink on Recollections? Does it bleed or do they stamp as well as SU cardstock?

I'll have to try a pack or two to see what I think, but I do appreciate your responses. It's always nice to get a little feedback before trying something. Right now I am out of SU whisper white and I won't be ordering any SU probably until near the end of May.

I also like the idea of being able to do some experimenting with card designs on less expensive paper. Do you do that? Oh and I do like Kiwi Kiss
I find it takes ink like any other cardstock. I don't use it for my stamping most of the time because I use Copics or pencil crayons mostly to colour with, so I use Wausau white index cardstock for that (another great inexpensive cardstock). But, I have stamped on it to make backgrounds or stamping sentiments and it performs just as well as any other cardstock. I don't necessarily "experiment" with it, but I don't feel as bad if a design goes a muck or if I make a mistake since its only about 0.15 a sheet (as opposed to about 0.40 a sheet for SU).

I've mentioned this before, but I also wanted to let people know who read this thread that the new Recollections papers also co-ordinate with Bazzill papers. The Studio G inks match/co-ordinate with the Recollections papers, so you can get the matchy-matchy ink & paper like SU and the inks will co-ordinate with Bazzill papers too. I haven't seen very much of the Recollections patterned paper pads here in Calgary, but I have seen some. They have some really cute designs that match/co-ordinate with the cardstocks and Studio G inks. Of course the patterned papers are quite a bit thinner than other name brand patterned papers, but they work perfectly for layering which is what most of us use them for anyway.

Last edited by cat_woman; 05-04-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes