Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Red face Canon digital camera........

I don't own a digital camera but have been trying to decide which one to buy. BUT I have a service anniversary with my employer coming up & can choose a gift - a Canon Powershot SC100 IS; 3011 Bose Wave Radio/CD player; 2518 Sony« Cybershot (7.2 or 8.2 mp); & a few other Sony brands. I take pictures - not photos & need something easy to use that will take decent pictures. Do I pick a camera (which one) or the Bose?? Help!
Kitty
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have a Cannon Power shot SD300 that I bought a few years ago. I have been really happy with it. It has a lot of settings (but I mostly use auto) and is easy to use. Mine is also an Elph so it is very small and fits easily in my purse. When we were looking for cameras the guy at Best Buy recommended that you go with a tradional camera brand such as cannon or nikon vs a sony. Although Sony is a better choice for video cameras.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Canon rebel xti and absolutely love it. I was very against getting a digital, but it is point and shoot, and like the 35mm we had to replace. My first canon lasted 15 years, so I really stand by the name.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I had a Canon PowerShot Elph camera and LOVED it. But I lost it and replaced it in a hurry with an Olympus that is *okay* but I still miss my Canon.

I also have a Canon DSLR with a bunch of L lenses that I adore. I'd never use anything else.

I guess I'm just a Canon girl at heart. I'm currently on the look out for a new Canon Elph pocket camera.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Default cameras

I have the sony cyber shot 8.1 mp with 15x zoom and it is very cool....it is large like a 35 mm camera, but I wanted one that felt like a camera not a credit card if I was spending that much money...it was on sale from 485 to 285 so that made the decision for me...it does do alot more than I would ever use, but it sure comes in handy when I want to play. I took pics of my son playing in the lake with the adjustable shutter speed (14,000) and I could see each droplet of water in the air...sooo cool...and I caught a lightning storm in the clouds with the multi shot...it is a bit hard to catch spur of the moment pics because it takes a min to get ready even on automatic, but all in all i really like it.
good luck.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My friend and her boyfriend both have cannons and I'm SOOOO jealous, they always take the best pictures. The cannon cameras work escpecially well at night and low light. Pics always come out crisp and bright!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have a Canon Rebel - and I absolutely love it! I know you are not looking at the same camera, but I can vouch for Canon's quality.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got a new camera--Canon Rebel Xsi--and absolutely love it. Now, it sounds like that is more camera than you want, so here's my advice:

Get the most megapixels you can afford. More megapixels = better image quality. I don't think you want to go less than 8MP--maybe 10 or 12.

If you can handle one in the store, and try taking pix with it--all the better. Get a good feel for whether it will be easy for YOU to handle, regardless of how easy it 'says' it is.

Try a lot of different ones. I had (still have) a 35mm (film) Minolta Maxxum that is a fantastic camera. Great pix, but it was film. I moved to digital in 2000/2001--a small Kodak. Worked fine, but was heavy, and then technology changed. I moved to a Minolta DiMage5 about 2003/2004--better, and more like my 35mm with an adjustable zoom and more features. Then I took a pic with my son's little Canon Powershot this past spring--and the difference in the megapixels put my high-priced camera to shame. I got the Canon Xsi in June, and it's been like moving back to my beloved Minolta Maxxum, but all in digital! Fantastic pix!

So try different ones, and if you can, have the store print some test pix for you. I've heard of lots of folks doing this--helps you decide whether the picture quality if what you want. (That's also a good way to pick a printer.)

Good luck with your choice!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I would go with a camera since you don't have one. On the Bose, do you have any other CD player?? I have heard a few in person and don't really care for the quality of sound....

Faith
Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Canon Power Shot A540, I think that is it. And I love it.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

The megapixel count can sometimes be a myth. More megapixels past a count of 6 is only better for prints as great or larger than 8x10. If you don't print poster-size prints than sometimes those extra mp's are not useful. The rest of the camera's settings have to be doing a good job to get a good picture.

Try using some of the more popular camera review sites and then get your hands on one. You won't know if you like it unless you put it in your hands and try to take a picture.

http://www.pcconnection.com/ipa/home

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...ftColumnArea.0

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-znqS789...ch=canon+sx100

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07...nonsx100is.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/SX100ISA.HTM

I looked up the Canon web site and can't find the model you stated in your post. It may be an SX100 IS....and it looks like a great camera!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default canon digital camera

As previous poster said....MP count peaks at about 6 unless you are planning to create and print postersized photos. The canon 100 is the smallest(oldest) powershot and the newer ones(inthe 800 model number range) have many more user friendly features. Sony is into digital cameras in a big way as they bought Miniolta from Konica/Minolta. Their new DSLR bodies ( Alpha 350 and 700) are awesome and use the same body features as the Minolta Maxxumm's __ I have a 5D and love it but will upgrade to a sony alpha in another year or so.

Either camera would serve you well but I would go for the sony with slightly more MP at this point....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Old 08-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I have a Sony Cyber shot that I keep in my purse.
It takes great photos and very easy to use.

Go to the store and play with them, it really does make a difference
when you get to hold what you are buying. Not the same and seeing them
in a catalog.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

My advice would be to visit CNET.com and look at the reviews on each camera. If you would like to have a digital camera then go for it if not I LOVE all of the Bose products we have (altho not the one you have listed). The sound system we have is better than the one at the local theater IMO. DH has the sound canceling headphones and says they are worth their weight in gold.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Thanks everyone - I've checked several sites for reviews including cnet.com & will definitely check in out in one of the local stores for some hands on. Since I don't need a lot of fancy features (& have a 35mm if I need a standby), & it will be $0/cost to me, I will probably go with it.
Thanks again for your thoughts,
Kitty