Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #1561
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
The ScanNCut had a software update a couple of years ago, which meant it could read SVG files (not just FCM files). I believe that it should be able to cut as well as draw the USB files available with the Foil Quill.
Hi FiP,

I wasn't aware of that. That won't help with my tracing problem in Workspace but it WILL help stop my wasting time converting fcms!

Thank you!

Debra
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #1562
FiP
Kookie Creator

You're welcome!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #1563
Polyshrink Goddess

fifiwefan, The second picture was a SCN gold foil. I have done several and it really seems as if the SCN does a better smoother job.
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #1564
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
Brother posted a video last month about how to load the mat Loading and Unloading the Mat [Video] | Brother

There's also a firmware upgrade available (version 1.11) as of last month. There's nothing in the release notes about it making mat loading easier, although Jen Blausey referred to it in passing in one of her videos. I'll try and upgrade mine soon and see if it makes any difference.

Update: no, I haven't got around to upgrading my machine yet (note to self, add this to the already long weekend task list) - I received a survey request from Brother asking if I would recommend their products and services to others, gave them a very average mark because while the concept of the SnC is excellent, the latest execution and the customer support experience of others leaves a lot to be desired. Hoping other SnC owners get the same chance to give feedback.

Has anyone here reported the mat loading issue and had their machine fixed?
Old 03-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #1565
Rubber Obsessor

I got the same survey and I gave a below average score on customer support. I don't think any company deserves a glowing recommendation when they try to blame the customers for problems that are quite clearly manufacturer defects. Sending a link to show me how to load a mat does me no good when I complain and tell you that I can load a mat upside down and it loads properly...or if I load a mat backwards it loads properly but when i try to load a mat the right way it loads crooked. That shows me that something is wrong with the mats or the loading properties of the machine. And if it was only a few machines I would say it was a bad batch of machines but if you read the reviews there are pages and pages of complaints.

HOWEVER after I sent in my survey and voiced my dissatisfaction my machine informed me there was an update available and I did install it. The next time I loaded a mat I noticed that the mat loaded at a slower rate and it loaded correctly. So is the problem fixed....I don't know, I hope so, but time will tell.
Stampnnatter and Hoboken Paper like this post.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:14 AM   #1566
Mad Swapper

I upgraded my machine today to version 1.11 and yes, the mat certainly loads more slowly. The trouble is, the leading edge of my original low tack mat is so damaged that it won't load at all, my standard tack mat loads correctly, but never mis-loaded in the few times I'd used it, and my new low tack mat loads fine. I can't yet be sure that the slower loading has fixed the issue, so I think my only option is to keep using my new mat and see if it mis-loads.

Has anyone else upgraded their SDX machine and if so, do you think the upgrade has fixed the loading problem?
Hoboken Paper likes this post.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #1567
Rubber Obsessor

When the problems with the mat started for me I was on the original mat that came with the machine. I did think at that point I was the one doing something wrong and just tossed it and got a second mat. When problems started with the second mat I took a closer look at the mat and found that even though the mat looked intact (no crumbled corners or cracks) when I looked at the thickness of the mat the left corner looked thinner then the right. Almost as if the rollers on the left were compressing or wearing away that corner. I have kept that mat but it still wont load correctly.The newer mats that I have bought are loading correctly as of now but their corners are not worn away.

NOT PROMOTING THE FOLLOWING TIP AND TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK BUT.....
I found an interesting video on how to use regular Scan N Cut Mats in the DX machine.

I took my DX mat to Staples and had them copy just the top part and taped that to the regular mat and it worked. The downside with the regular mat is the cutting area is not positioned on the mat the same place as on the DX mat.On the regular mat the cutting area is half an inch lower. Which means if you are using a cutting file it will not cut in the right place on the mat even though it shows the right place on the screen. So I use the correct DX mat when cutting files but use the modified mat when cutting stamped images. Since the stamped images are scanned in the, machine knows where to start the cut. Might save someone a couple of dollars since the DX mats are more expensive then the regular ones and the regular ones are easier to find sometimes.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #1568
Mad Swapper

Jen Blausey posted a video of her work-round for the mat loading problems here - she has now updated the description to say that the slower mat loading included in the latest software upgrade (version 1.11) works. I imagine she's already used her mats more times than I will probably do in the next 5 years!

I find her comments heartfelt, and think it's awesome that she's gone to all this trouble to help fellow crafters.
kazooMI likes this post.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #1569
Polyshrink Goddess

Y'all I just got my order of a USB memory stick for the Foil Quill. I am all excited as it will plug into the machine and work without having to use my computer. All kinds of designs. Very very pleased with this.
jnsyr and fifiwesfan like this post.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #1570
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, I admit I am a very dumb person when it comes to computers. BUT...I has a friend and her husband show me how to up date my SNC. It added the fill in button. Goodness !!!! I can draw with pins and fill it in. Better still I can foil and fill it in with foil or ink.
TexasGrammy, jnsyr and lesleybd like this post.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #1571
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Has anyone done a split monogram with their scan n cut & Vinyl? I am wanting to make a wedding gift with their names in the center.

Design Team for Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges.
Design Team for The Project Bin
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #1572
Polyshrink Goddess

My friend has but I have not tried it yet.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #1573
Insane Embellisher

I popped into Michael today and found both the Standard and Deep Cut Blades in the Clearance aisle. They were each marked down to $9.99 from $16.99 BUT they rang up as $3.97 each. Thought I'd share in case anyone would like to check out their Michaels. (I'm a Micheals Rewards Member so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, though I doubt it)
jnsyr and southgirl like this post.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #1574
Rubber Obsessor

I just want to make an update on the Scan N Cut DX125 saga concerning the mats. Knock wood but since the current update has been implemented I have not had a misload. It has been a joy to use my machine and not have to hold my breath and hope for the best every time I wanted to cut something out.

Back in March Brother sent me a survey and I truthfully filled mine out. I praised the good things about my machine but I also explained my dissatisfaction with the negatives...I didn't sugar coat anything. Today in the mail I received and 20.00 Visa debit card from Brother as a thank you. So my Public Service Annoucement for today is.....if you have a complaint or concern about any of your supplies don't hesitate to let the companies know. If things are to change people have to speak up.
Stampnnatter, Margaret Mary and kazooMI like this post.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #1575
Stampin' Fool

Default SNC Inside Cuts Hack

Hope others will find this useful! I have never seen this easy technique I came up with to make the inside cuts with my SNC. I wanted to share this technique right away! I was amazed how quick and easy it was. Prior to cutting out the stamped image on my SNC, I used my lightbox to draw inside cut lines on the back side of the stamped image. Once the inside cuts were completed I used direct had to cut out the entire image on the front side of my cardstock.
My Altenew Card
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #1576
Die Cut Diva

OK, so the bug has bitten. I've done the research, watched the vids, read the reviews (including reading this thread as far back until it gets confusing b/c the technology has been updated). I'm going to get an electronic cutter (finally), I'm leaning toward the SnC - DX125 model, but a few questions:

1) I'm thinking that the DX125 machine has enough for someone planning on personal (vs. business) use, is that correct? Or should I be looking at the DX225 or even the CM350 (or am I going backwards by considering the last one)
2) can it cut very detailed images like this one even with the little dangly lines dragon-stone-castle-lav533 (if my link doesn't work, it's a Lavinia Stamp's castle, but it's just an example of a very detailed stamp) - I've seen the vids where it cuts simple things but nothing nearly this detailed.
3) is it hard to cut out the inside sections of an image (using the castle example above, say, cut out the windows); some of the convo a few pages back raises this question
4) why do you like this better than a Cricut
5) is this easy for a techno-tarded person (like myself) to learn
6) there seems to be some question about edges both in fraying and roughness; is this a legitimate concern or just nit-pickiness
7) so nice you can use it inde of the internet but if you want to use the internet, does it access and cut your purchased SVG files?
are the mats still a problem (6/19)? and is it also the case for the DX225 as well as the DX125?

I'm leaning towards this machine because the first thing I want to do is start saving $$s on dies (gheesh - they're getting so pricey!), so I want to cut out stamped images. Beyond that, I can't say yet, but I'm sure that once I get my sea legs, I'll want to try all of the things.
RenT likes this post.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #1577
Matboard Maniac

I think the DX125 is going to be your best bet. I have a CM350 but if I was buying a SNC now, I would go for the DX125 because the scanner is much better.

You can cut very detailed images. For example if you know the StampinUp thoughtful branches tree - I've scanned and cut that successfully. You aren't going to be able to do that castle though. The turrets are in dozens of pieces and the dangly pieces are full of tiny dots. The scanner needs solid lines. I don't think the windows would cut out either but I'm not sure. If you just wanted to cut around the edge, people sometimes connect those broken lines with a pencil.

I can't speak to Cricut or the new Brother mat.

There is a learning curve. It's not difficult to cut SVG files that you find or buy on the internet. A lot of us buy Sure Cuts A Lot because we find it easier and more powerful than Canvas to manipulate images. You will find videos on YouTube and several FB pages that will help you through most problems you encounter.

I don't have an issue with fraying/roughness but your cuts are cuts. Dies actually cut and sort of bevel the edges which is a nicer look IMO but for most things a cut is fine for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #1578
Die Cut Diva

thx DesertStamper
Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #1579
Die Cut Diva

I'm a patient person. Today I found my "yes!" price and finally pulled the trigger on this machine; it is prime day (I refuse to capitalize that) after all. I bought the Brother Scan n' Cut DX125. All-in, I paid $312.52 for which I get: the machine, 2 std mats & 2 std blades + whatever tools, etc. that come standard. Shipping is, of course, included; NC wanted in on the fun, so, of course, there are taxes too.

If you're into Amazon prime, the cost of the machine is $290.59 today. If there's a better price out there, I couldn't find it (and please don't tell me, LOL). So, if anyone is interested, go check it out. Hopefully this helps somebody.
TexasGrammy, RenT and jnsyr like this post.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #1580
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yay! Great deal! Congrats! You'll love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
I'm a patient person. Today I found my "yes!" price and finally pulled the trigger on this machine; it is prime day (I refuse to capitalize that) after all. I bought the Brother Scan n' Cut DX125. All-in, I paid $312.52 for which I get: the machine, 2 std mats & 2 std blades + whatever tools, etc. that come standard. Shipping is, of course, included; NC wanted in on the fun, so, of course, there are taxes too.

If you're into Amazon prime, the cost of the machine is $290.59 today. If there's a better price out there, I couldn't find it (and please don't tell me, LOL). So, if anyone is interested, go check it out. Hopefully this helps somebody.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #1581
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Ok, I am patiently waiting to purchase for 2 reasons....
1. price (did you buy an "extra" mat or just go with the basic package?)

2. I keep reading how people think it's junk and then some love it...I like the idea of being able to scan something as I think I would use that feature a lot BUT there are some things about the Cricut Maker that intrigues me (more flexibility in materials to cut)

So I will be very curious to know your opinion of this machine. Or other peoples opinions would be welcomed also.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #1582
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyduo View Post
Ok, I am patiently waiting to purchase for 2 reasons....
1. price (did you buy an "extra" mat or just go with the basic package?)

2. I keep reading how people think it's junk and then some love it...I like the idea of being able to scan something as I think I would use that feature a lot BUT there are some things about the Cricut Maker that intrigues me (more flexibility in materials to cut)

So I will be very curious to know your opinion of this machine. Or other peoples opinions would be welcomed also.

Hey craftyduo, I bought both an extra mat and an extra standard blade. The $290 price I posted was for the standard package on Amazon which (as i understand it) comes with both the mat and the blade. However, being brand new to this, I didn't know how long such things last, so I bought extra. It arrived yesterday; haven't opened it yet - box is HUGE though.

I understand about wanting the flexibility of a different machine. What made me choose this one is that I want to start with one skill; I want to be able to scan and cut out my stamps from card stock w/o purchasing dies. No vinyl, no T shirts, no wall art, mugs, etc.

Since I'm going to be figuring all of this out on my own, and I'm no technical genius, I wanted to focus on one simple (hopefully) task. Once I've mastered that, I'll explore other features of this machine, and then, if I'm still piqued by them, explore other machines. Baby steps. That's my plan anyway.

I don't know if this will help you any (it would just be reference at this point), but I also saw a Circuit machine bundle discounted on prime day. I'll include the link below; it was $199 (lots cheaper than what I bought). I don't know if this was a good price or not.

Cricut Explore Air 2 Fuchsia Bundle with Basic Tool Set and Two Vinyl Samplers

After researching various machines, who likes them, who dislikes them, what they like, etc., I came to the conclusion there is no consensus on the perfect does-it-all and does-it-best machine. I simply chose to start with the machine that featured what I want to do. I know many people own more than one type of cutting machine; their opinions and input would undoubtedly be more helpful if you want comparisons. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #1583
Mad Swapper

Quote:
What made me choose this one is that I want to start with one skill; I want to be able to scan and cut out my stamps from card stock w/o purchasing dies. No vinyl, no T shirts, no wall art, mugs, etc.

Since I'm going to be figuring all of this out on my own, and I'm no technical genius, I wanted to focus on one simple (hopefully) task!

Have fun on the learning curve

As somebody who's already been there, I do recommend watching YouTube videos and (if you're into Facebook, which I'm not at all) joining one of the SnC groups. Some people have posted great videos on YouTube; seeing how other people set up and use the machine can save a lot of time and frustration by showing you what settings to use, what the machine 'sees' well, etc. I can recommend anything by applelover53. Other people will also have their favourites to recommend.

FWIW, what you want to start with is easy, as long as the image you're cutting out has an unbroken (no gaps) border which the machine can see. If there are any gaps, it often helps to fill in the gaps with a pencil, scan, cut and erase the pencil marks afterwards.

Enjoy!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #1584
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
I can recommend anything by applelover53. Other people will also have their favourites to recommend.

FWIW, what you want to start with is easy, as long as the image you're cutting out has an unbroken (no gaps) border which the machine can see. If there are any gaps, it often helps to fill in the gaps with a pencil, scan, cut and erase the pencil marks afterwards.

Enjoy!
Thx for the rec on applelover53; I've watched many videos, but haven't discovered him/her yet. I've already "faved" this YouTuber - over 400 videos, bound to be some basics in there.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #1585
Glitter Queen

I recently received the SnC CM350. I have searched the web for information but have not been able to find an answer to this question.

Though it is able to connect via wireless I do not yet have the card, (or what ever is needed) to do so at this time. I want to dl the PC version of canvas workspace and play around with it. When and if the time comes that I go the wireless route will I be able to transfer the data that has been saved on my PC version to the web based version?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #1586
Kookie Creator

There's a Disney version of the SNC that's only available in stores. Anyone know the going price? Never to early to plan my Christmas wish list! I've got a love/hate relationship with my Silhouette Cameo, so I'm ready to move up.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #1587
Glitter Queen

Wow! There is just a wealth of information on this thread. I started at 2017 and came forward with all the tidbits. I have had my SNC (CM350) for a year now and just recently started using it. If they had this baby out when I first started scrapbooking, it would have been a game changer. I wouldn't have invested so much with my cricuts.

I recently tried used my usb cable that was with my cricut on my SNC. (The cable that connects the computer to the machine). They wouldn't recognize each other. Do I need to get another cable? If so, any suggestions? I've been using a flash drive but worry about damaging the machine taking it in & out over time.

I've also become a you tube junky watching videos. There isn't anyone around where I live that has one that I can learn from. I've also joined the SNC FB group.

Thanks again for all the tidbits ladies!!
southgirl likes this post.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #1588
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by krprice70 View Post
Wow! There is just a wealth of information on this thread. I started at 2017 and came forward with all the tidbits. I have had my SNC (CM350) for a year now and just recently started using it. If they had this baby out when I first started scrapbooking, it would have been a game changer. I wouldn't have invested so much with my cricuts.

I recently tried used my usb cable that was with my cricut on my SNC. (The cable that connects the computer to the machine). They wouldn't recognize each other. Do I need to get another cable? If so, any suggestions? I've been using a flash drive but worry about damaging the machine taking it in & out over time.

I've also become a you tube junky watching videos. There isn't anyone around where I live that has one that I can learn from. I've also joined the SNC FB group.

Thanks again for all the tidbits ladies!!
As you begin using it, you will fall in love. I have had my 350 since 2015 and it is still going strong. I even have the same mats! If you haven’t come across them, check out my videos on YouTube. They are old but pretty much still apply. For stampers, each video addresses just one thing at a time. For links to the videos, go to post #1292 on page 33 of this thread.

The SNC is not intended to connect to your computer with a cable. You have two options for getting your projects to it: 1. Get the WiFi access card (around $50) or (2) get a short cable that you plug your flash drive into leaving the cable in the machine at all times. If anything breaks, it will be a $5 cable or the flash drive and not your machine. Here is a link to the one I purchased in 2015 and still works great: Amazon.com: Cmple - High Speed USB to USB Extension Cable - Flexible Extender Cord - A Male to A Female Adapter Cable - USB 2.0 Extension Cable - 3 Feet White: Computers & Accessories
jnsyr and krprice70 like this post.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #1589
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalaney View Post
I recently received the SnC CM350. I have searched the web for information but have not been able to find an answer to this question.

Though it is able to connect via wireless I do not yet have the card, (or what ever is needed) to do so at this time. I want to dl the PC version of canvas workspace and play around with it. When and if the time comes that I go the wireless route will I be able to transfer the data that has been saved on my PC version to the web based version?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you will. I have had my 350 since it came out and thought that I would get the WiFi card. My computer is in a separate room (close by) from where my SNC is so when I work on something, I still have to get up to load the mat so taking a flash drive over at the same time is no big deal - saving me $50. It doesn’t take any longer to save them to a drive and load up on the machine than it does to do it via WiFi. JMHO.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #1590
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
As you begin using it, you will fall in love. I have had my 350 since 2015 and it is still going strong. I even have the same mats! If you haven’t come across them, check out my videos on YouTube. They are old but pretty much still apply. For stampers, each video addresses just one thing at a time. For links to the videos, go to post #1292 on page 33 of this thread.

The SNC is not intended to connect to your computer with a cable. You have two options for getting your projects to it: 1. Get the WiFi access card (around $50) or (2) get a short cable that you plug your flash drive into leaving the cable in the machine at all times. If anything breaks, it will be a $5 cable or the flash drive and not your machine. Here is a link to the one I purchased in 2015 and still works great: Amazon.com: Cmple - High Speed USB to USB Extension Cable - Flexible Extender Cord - A Male to A Female Adapter Cable - USB 2.0 Extension Cable - 3 Feet White: Computers & Accessories
Thank you so much for the helpful information. I had found your videos when I was scrolling thru the posts and found them very useful. I have a notebook that I've been writing down helpful hints. Thank you also for the link the the cable. I will get it ordered this week.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM   #1591
Glitter Queen

Default heavy weight cardstock

I have searched this thread but I can't find any help when cutting 110 lb cardstock (Neenah). I have moved the pressure all the way to 9 and tried cutting multiple times. Any advice?
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #1592
FiP
Kookie Creator

For that, you should only require a blade depth of about 5 and pressure of 0 or 1. I can only assume you have a blade issue ie it's blunt/damaged. Try a fresh blade if you can. Have you been cutting other things okay? And for how long?
Old Today, 03:58 AM   #1593
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlawky View Post
I have searched this thread but I can't find any help when cutting 110 lb cardstock (Neenah). I have moved the pressure all the way to 9 and tried cutting multiple times. Any advice?

I agree with FiP. That is the exact cardstock that I cut every day on a pressure of 0 and a blade depth of about 5.5.

~Jen~
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #1594
Glitter Queen

Thanks. I didn't realize the blade depth needed to be changed!