Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 10-06-2017, 01:56 AM   #1401
Die Cut Diva

Hi Everyone. I haven't posted in a billion years. I am getting a Scan n Cut in the next few weeks. I have some questions. I am sorry if these are repeats in the thread.

Which number is the latest machine as of this year?

Can you natively import SVG's to the machine or do I need to convert them to FCM?

Can we use Cricut mats? I don't think we can but I wanted to be sure before I buy extra consumables.

Can we use Roland Blades or is the Brother Blade system proprietary? I am getting conflicted reviews on this. Once again I just want to purchase the correct consumables.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 10-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #1402
FiP
Matboard Maniac

No need to convert to FCM format. Probably your machine will already be updated to include this feature before your purchase of it, but if not, it's easy to download the update from the Brother website. You cannot use Cricut mats. A new version of mats with a 'better' glue has been released, so you should probably try them out.
Someone else will have to advise you on the model and blade questions.
lylacfey likes this post.
Unread 10-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #1403
Die Cut Diva

Thank you FiP. That really helps. I was kind of worried about the converting.

I am thinking the blade system is not a Roland system. I saw one of the blades last night and it has different style. I did hear that some Scan n Cut users are using Roland Blades. I am kind of confused about the info.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Unread 10-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #1404
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I think I've seen the Roland ones on EBAY, but they look very different and I wouldn't risk it personally.
Unread 10-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #1405
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Just to advise, I'm now not sure whether the "new glue" mats have been released. While watching a UK craft site, I saw they were using a different kind of SnCut mat and I don't know if they specifically said it was the new variety or I just assumed it. I have since noticed that they were using the black & white style mat with both ScanNCut and DesignNCut labelling on it. As they have not made mention of the improved stickiness of the mats they're using, I'm assuming they aren't using an improved version.
Tonda Baldwin likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #1406
Mad Swapper

Default Stamp Kit

Some info which may be of interest to others on this thread. I went to a craft show yesterday and spent a while at the Brother stand, where they were promoting the SnC. I got chatting with the Brother rep about the stamp kit and told her I had it and hated it - it's really bad for stamps with large block areas as the ink pools on the surface, doesn't spread evenly and therefore doesn't stamp evenly. She gave me two interesting pieces of information:

1. that the kit was designed with more intricate designs in mind, and stamps better for those, and
2. they've had this feedback from a number of people and the company in Japan is looking at improving the product so that it will work better for block stamps.

So I will try an intricate design with what's left of my kit and wait and see if we get new stamp material like we now have new mats.
southgirl and fifiwesfan like this post.
Unread 11-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #1407
Cardstock Collector

Smile Brother scan n cut

i just bought one and am struggling a bit. So far I find it fine for script but takes a bit of working our. I cut out a stamp I had done but found I had to go around it with a pencil to fill in where the line isn't solid. Will keep persevering though as it was too pricey to just leave idle.

Was wondering if you get the same setting from the Brother scan n cut canvas programme on ipad and laptop as I don't think I am or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Primrose15; 11-02-2017 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: question on ipad
Unread 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #1408
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose15 View Post
i just bought one and am struggling a bit. So far I find it fine for script but takes a bit of working our. I cut out a stamp I had done but found I had to go around it with a pencil to fill in where the line isn't solid. Will keep persevering though as it was too pricey to just leave idle.

Was wondering if you get the same setting from the Brother scan n cut canvas programme on ipad and laptop as I don't think I am or am I doing something wrong?

Hi!

Check out on YouTube, Jen Blausey. She also has a FB group called ScanNCut, canvas and SCAL help!

Julie Fei-Fan Balzer or applelover53 on YouTube. But Jen is my favorite for everything ScanNCut!
Brenda71 likes this post.
Unread 11-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #1409
Proud Fan Club Member

I have the original, and have a question about the SNC2 model (or any model newer than mine). I use mine for fussy cutting constantly. I find that there is only so much BG "noise" that it can handle. Like, if I do a Distress BG and stamp over it, the machine can't pick the black outline of the stamped image out. Do newer models improve on this? I looked on the website and see the RGB recognition feature, but it looks like that is only for scanning a BG and cutting out parts of it. I know I may be asking the impossible here, but figured it was worth asking.
Unread 11-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #1410
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
I have the original, and have a question about the SNC2 model (or any model newer than mine). I use mine for fussy cutting constantly. I find that there is only so much BG "noise" that it can handle. Like, if I do a Distress BG and stamp over it, the machine can't pick the black outline of the stamped image out. Do newer models improve on this? I looked on the website and see the RGB recognition feature, but it looks like that is only for scanning a BG and cutting out parts of it. I know I may be asking the impossible here, but figured it was worth asking.
First, if you update your machine, you will have RGB mode. Brother provided lots of updates and features since they released the machine and gave it to everyone. The only things you donít have are WiFi capability and 12x24 scanning.

As far as your question, the more contrast, the better. The RGB mode will probably help you with it although continue to try grayscale as I find it works better most of the time.
Brenda71 likes this post.
Unread 11-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #1411
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose15 View Post

You need to think like the machine! It doesn’t know your image is an elephant, it just sees it as a bunch of lines. You have to connect those to make it one continuous line so it can cut it properly. I use a pencil line, cut, erase and then remove from the mat. Yes, it is a few more minutes to draw and erase those lines but it is still a lot better than fussy cutting.

I have some YouTube videos that are geared just for stampers that I used in a class. Search for Cathy Williams or they are listed here in a post but I am not sure where, probably 3-4 pages back. One of them is on this subject.

I haven’t worked on Canvas on my iPad so I can’t help with that question. Hopefully someone else here has.
Unread 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #1412
Mad Swapper

I have some YouTube videos that are geared just for stampers that I used in a class. Search for Cathy Williams or they are listed here in a post but I am not sure where, probably 3-4 pages back. One of them is on this subject.

I havenít worked on Canvas on my iPad so I canít help with that question. Hopefully someone else here has.[/QUOTE]

You need to subscribe to Cathy's YouTube channel, as she has some VERY good video tutorials!!!
Cwmwcw likes this post.
Unread 11-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #1413
Compulsive Stamper

For those who have purchased the SNC or any other machine, did you get rid of your punches? Dies? Thinking I might sell mine to purchase the SNC! I've seen comments about scanning your dies in so you can size them differently, but do you ever need the dies again? Thanks!
Unread 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #1414
Cardstock Collector

No dont get rid of your punches, they always come in useful, I still use dies, punches and all my other pieces of equipment, the Scan and Cut enhances your crafting but does not replace buying things. I use mine to cut things I dont have dies for or to cut alphabets, it will also cut your stamped images.
Stampnnatter and fifiwesfan like this post.
Unread 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #1415
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks! Just trying to rationalize such a big purchase!
Unread 11-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #1416
Mad Swapper

My rationale for the big purchase was more about not 'needing' to buy dies in the future than selling on existing stash. I barely buy punches or nesting dies nowadays, nor do I buy many dies which go with stamps, unless the stamps have a lot of broken edges (which the SnC can't 'see' without help). I'm happy that I did eventually pay for my SnC in terms of not buying stuff, but as others have said, it complements rather than replaces other supplies.

It also opens up new crafting opportunities. For example, if the cutting pattern you have isn't quite right for the size of card you want, it's easy to re-size it.
Brenda71, bottleored and fifiwesfan like this post.
Unread 11-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #1417
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

bottleored, I still use dies & punches. A punch is so quick to grab & punch out a quick item. But ... I get lots of joy in being able to put out numerous, repeated cuts, items that have no matching die/punch, and so much available to those with electronic cutters. 'Single-purchase' cartridges, etc. are a thing of the past when using the SNC ... it's like a brand new world available in paper crafting.
Tonda Baldwin, Brenda71, Dorthy and 2 others like this post.
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #1418
Crimping Master

I am considering buying a Scan and Cut machine. One question I have is can you cut multiples of an image. For example, if you wanted to cut an entire mat of one image, such as a tree shape, could you do that? I sometimes mass produce things like Christmas cards and I can cut a single shape as many times as I wish on the Cricut and wonder if the Scan and Cut could do something similar. Sorry if this question was answered earlier and thank in advance for your help.
Unread 11-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #1419
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie* View Post
I am considering buying a Scan and Cut machine. One question I have is can you cut multiples of an image. For example, if you wanted to cut an entire mat of one image, such as a tree shape, could you do that? I sometimes mass produce things like Christmas cards and I can cut a single shape as many times as I wish on the Cricut and wonder if the Scan and Cut could do something similar. Sorry if this question was answered earlier and thank in advance for your help.
Yes you can! It's quite possible that 'Cwmwcw' has covered that here. You might search her posts or ask her to explain that process if she has not done so already.
Unread 11-15-2017, 04:13 AM   #1420
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
I got chatting with the Brother rep about the stamp kit and told her I had it and hated it - it's really bad for stamps with large block areas as the ink pools on the surface, doesn't spread evenly and therefore doesn't stamp evenly.
I have the Silhoutte brand stamp kit, it seems to be the same silicon material with the same problems you are having. The stamps I made sort-of work with pigment inks like Versamagic or Brilliance, especially with a Misti or similar to stamp multiple times. I think stencilling is a better option, it might waste more ink but mylar sheets are way cheaper than the stamp material.
Unread 11-15-2017, 04:28 AM   #1421
Crimping Master

Thanks for the information. I have done a bit of searching but have not found specific instructions, yet. It is good to know it is possible and I will continue to search as time allows.
Unread 11-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #1422
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
Yes you can! It's quite possible that 'Cwmwcw' has covered that here. You might search her posts or ask her to explain that process if she has not done so already.
Thanks for the shout out! Probably the best way is to show her. Here is the link to my video on arranging multiples.

Tonda Baldwin, Brenda71 and LMstamps like this post.
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #1423
Crimping Master

Thank you for sharing this video!!! I have so much to learn but each thing I see convinces me that the Scan and Cut would be a good purchase for me.

What is the difference between the one in the video and the one that is made for quilters? The regular machine is able to cut paper and fabric isn't it?

These all probably sound like dumb questions but all of the information here gets confusing at times. I sometimes wish this thread was broken up by topic so there wasn't so much information to sift through. I've spent a lot of time reading, but it is crazy to try to remember it all!

Again, thanks for sharing.
Unread 11-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #1424
Crimping Master

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this video!!! I have so much to learn but each thing I see convinces me that the Scan and Cut would be a good purchase for me.

What is the difference between the one in the video and the one that is made for quilters? The regular machine is able to cut paper and fabric isn't it?

These all probably sound like dumb questions but all of the information here gets confusing at times. I sometimes wish this thread was broken up by topic so there wasn't so much information to sift through. I've spent a lot of time reading, but it is crazy to try to remember it all!

Again, thanks for sharing.
There are basically 2 machines in the US - the 350 and the 650. I know I will miss a thing or two, here are the main differences:

WiFi - the 650 comes with it; it is an additional cost for the 350.
Scanning - the 650 can scan 12x24; the 350 only does 12x12. Both can cut 12x24

Preloaded files: the 650 has Double the number of preloaded Designs

They both cut all the same materials including fabric.

Brother still has the 100 and 250 on their website as available for sale but they have the smaller screen and I wouldnít recommend them because the larger screen is worth it.

My personal opinion on the scanning - I cannot imagine what I would need to scan into my machine at that size.

On WiFi - no matter where my computer is for editing in Canvas (their editing program) I still have to get up and go over to my machine to turn it on, load the paper and perform the commands so to bring a usb stick with me isnít a big deal. Definitely not worth the extra $50 to me.

Brother does bundle different things with the machine depending upon where/when you buy it so do your homework to know what you are getting with it. At one time HSN offered it with the WiFi. I would have grabbed that as opposed to the bundle I got which included the rhinestone kit if they both were being offered at the time. Someone else may really want the rhinestone kit so it is a personal choice.

The main reason the quilters choose the 650 is all the preloaded quilt patterns ready for cutting. Somewhere on Brother's site I found a file that showed the different designs preloaded on the machines but I canít find it now.
TexasGrammy likes this post.
Unread 11-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #1425
Crimping Master

Thank you, Cathy! I want as many features as possible, so I can do as many different things as possible. I haven't found a 650 online so that must be the machine that is sold at fabric stores only???

I am finding the going rate to be about $299 (American dollars), for the Scan and Cut 2, most places. I thought Amazon had them for cheaper than that awhile ago, but I may be mistaken. I keep wondering if anyone will have a black Friday deal on them.

Thanks again for your help. It is invaluable to read your comments!
Unread 11-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #1426
Crimping Master

Quote:
Thank you, Cathy! I want as many features as possible, so I can do as many different things as possible. I haven't found a 650 online so that must be the machine that is sold at fabric stores only???

I am finding the going rate to be about $299 (American dollars), for the Scan and Cut 2, most places. I thought Amazon had them for cheaper than that awhile ago, but I may be mistaken. I keep wondering if anyone will have a black Friday deal on them.

Thanks again for your help. It is invaluable to read your comments!
Yes, the 650 is only found in the fabric retailers. $299 is the regular price for the 350 but I have seen it offered for $249. I think Brother controls the pricing so keep your eye on the Brother site for a sale. I am sure they will have something for Black Friday or Christmas. Since their new product is the Design N Cut that maybe where the deals are but it doesnít have the scanner built in. If I see something about a sale, I will post here.
Unread 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #1427
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
Yes, the 650 is only found in the fabric retailers. $299 is the regular price for the 350 but I have seen it offered for $249. I think Brother controls the pricing so keep your eye on the Brother site for a sale. I am sure they will have something for Black Friday or Christmas. Since their new product is the Design N Cut that maybe where the deals are but it doesnít have the scanner built in. If I see something about a sale, I will post here.
Thanks, Cathy! I agree with you on that pricing & the probability that Brother keeps a tight reign on what retailers are allowed to offer. I had been wondering about the primary difference in the new Design & Cut ... but with your ready answer ... I can just totally ignore those print ads, etc. now.

I did not jump on the electronic cutter idea for a long time, but eventually did get a Sizzix eClips. That involved pricey cartridges which tired my budget far more quickly than I expected. I sold it to a scrapper eventually when those cartridges were going for incredibly low clearance prices. This SNC meets my needs & more. IMO, it really is excellent for card makers, scrapbookers, and 3-D paper crafters alike. Brother scored a home run with bases loaded with this!
Unread 11-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #1428
Compulsive Stamper

I spent 5 minutes today cutting these out Wee worth it!

Unread 11-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #1429
Crimping Master

I would never have considered making the Christmas card I am send this year without this machine. Definitely my best friend right now! 240 palm trees, 120 shacks, 120 Santaís, 120 shells, 120 stocking caps, and 120 crab. If only it would color them too!

Ok, I know that it can do that but I am not sure how long it would take me to program that!

Unread 11-19-2017, 04:32 AM   #1430
Crimping Master

Oh my gosh, I have to get one of these machines asap!
Unread 11-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #1431
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Gosh Cathy - I want to see a completed card. I just love the scan n cut.

Design Team for Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges.
Unread 11-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #1432
Proud Fan Club Member

Cathy thanks for all you do. Your videos rock!
Proud fan club member since 2008
Unread Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #1433
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by taclary View Post
Gosh Cathy - I want to see a completed card. I just love the scan n cut.
As soon as they go out in the mail to the recipients, I will. One or more people are on SCS and I donít want to ruin it for them.
Unread Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #1434
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonda Baldwin View Post
Cathy thanks for all you do. Your videos rock!
Ronda, thank you so much! They were never intended to be seen by anyone except the 6 attendees at the class I taught but after seeing so many questions here and people struggling with their machines, I decided to make them public. Fortunately my brain thinks the way this machine works and I know that isnít the case for everyone so I am glad to help people understand and get the most out of their machines.
Unread Today, 10:23 AM   #1435
Crimping Master

I purchased a Brother Scan and Cut 2 on Amazon for $242 dollars today
Unread Today, 02:35 PM   #1436
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I purchased a Brother Scan and Cut 2 on Amazon for $242 dollars today
Guess they were selling well - as price went up to $268.99 within hours.