Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #1361
Glitter Queen

hello! i am getting really close to hitting "purchase" on a scan n cut...costco has the cm250 for $160. all i want it to do is fussy cut stamps - will this model do that or should i go for the 350 for twice the price? thank you in advance for your insights!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann likes this post.
Unread 07-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #1362
Mad Swapper

The basic model will fussy cut. The more expensive one has additional patterns built-in but if all you want is to fussy cut then you don't need those. There might be differences in the accessories which are bundled, but again, the cheaper one would be fine for basic use. If you decide you want to cut thicker materials, you might want the deep cut blade and holder.....FWIW, I got the more expensive package because I wanted it all and haven't used more than the basics, 3 years on.
LMstamps and onecraftykittensg like this post.
Unread 07-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #1363
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
The basic model will fussy cut. The more expensive one has additional patterns built-in but if all you want is to fussy cut then you don't need those. There might be differences in the accessories which are bundled, but again, the cheaper one would be fine for basic use. If you decide you want to cut thicker materials, you might want the deep cut blade and holder.....FWIW, I got the more expensive package because I wanted it all and haven't used more than the basics, 3 years on.
thank you so much for confirming what i thought. i have a cricut explore air that i use 4-5x a week that can do all the other stuff like cutting leather or chipboard, custom designs etc.

alright, i think i'm gonna push "buy" tonight! *excited*
Unread 07-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #1364
Mad Swapper

You're welcome. You can always buy more accessories separately if you decide you need them later.
Once you've set your new machine up, it's worth checking to see if a firmware or software upgrade is available from the Brother site. This video walks you through the steps (she's in the UK, but the same method applies wherever you are).
Brother is good about making new features available to owners of existing machines through these upgrades. I usually check every couple of months or so to see if there's an upgrade, and usually someone will mention it on this forum when one is available.
onecraftykittensg likes this post.
Unread 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #1365
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I bought the deep cut blade and holder, but I've never used it. I believe fairly thick things can be cut with the standard blade, so the deep cut blade is not required until you know you need one for thick materials.
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #1366
Polyshrink Goddess

Wahoo!!!! I just got the Tattered Lace usb Glitz and Glam. So excited. It has (as well as about 90 others) Lauren and Emma and Watching the World Go By. All 50's ladies that I borrowed the dies from my buddy, Now I can make them any size. This is brilliant of Stephanie Weightman.
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #1367
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecraftykittensg View Post
hello! i am getting really close to hitting "purchase" on a scan n cut...costco has the cm250 for $160. all i want it to do is fussy cut stamps - will this model do that or should i go for the 350 for twice the price? thank you in advance for your insights!
Hello all,

I just made that purchase as well. I did the test with a piece of very vanilla using the settings for cardstock and the standard mat. It cut the triangle beautifully but I noticed the paper stuck a bit to the mat (actually tore off the thinnest layer of paper from the bottom which touches the mat in some areas). I then tried a piece of Neehah, same settings/mat, and that was a mess - completely shredded the paper and didn't cut through all the way in some areas. I had to use the spatula to scrape all the bits of paper off and the image was ruined. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. (I'm thinking I should try the low tack mat?)

fifi
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #1368
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I wouldn't bother with the low tack mat (unless for copier paper/tissue etc). The mats lose their stickiness with use. Don't burnish the paper onto the mat too well while it's super-sticky. Over time, you will need to heavily burnish to compensate for the loss of stickiness.
artandartifacts likes this post.
Unread 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #1369
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I wouldn't bother with the low tack mat (unless for copier paper/tissue etc). The mats lose their stickiness with use. Don't burnish the paper onto the mat too well while it's super-sticky. Over time, you will need to heavily burnish to compensate for the loss of stickiness.
Thank you! I will (try to) be patient!
Unread 07-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #1370
Glitter Queen

Default Brother ScanNCut and 3-D hacks

Hi- I have been looking at some beautiful layered, stacking dies cut sets. I am wondering if I can replicate this system on my Brother ScannCut. Jennifer McGuire does some beautiful stacking die cut backgrounds for some very elegant cards. I don't really want to spend 70+ for a set of three dies in order to do something like the end product of those die cuts.
Has anyone here done anything like that? I am going to try with some simple shapes but- I was wondering if anyone had already done this.
[/I]
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #1371
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I believe you could, BUT first you have to obtain an image to cut and re-size. Either by finding a free or purchased SVG or FCM file or an image you could scan. Once you've got a saved image in the machine, it can be re-sized from tiny to filling a 12x12 page. (You do need to be aware of small areas like curls and swirls, remembering the blade needs a 3mm space to do a full rotation, but in general I don't think this would be much of an issue).
Unread 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #1372
Embossing Fanatic

My SnC2 will be arriving today! I plan to use it mostly for fussy-cutting, but just wonder if it will have the ability to 'type' and cut my own sentiments, if that makes sense? The way I can on a computer...type a sentiment and print it out?
Unread 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #1373
Cardstock Collector

Yes you can write your own sentiments and cut out as shapes - you need to carefully select the font you use but there are lots of Utube videos on the snc that should help
Unread 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #1374
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monalsw View Post
My SnC2 will be arriving today! I plan to use it mostly for fussy-cutting, but just wonder if it will have the ability to 'type' and cut my own sentiments, if that makes sense? The way I can on a computer...type a sentiment and print it out?
You can use your stamps, write them out, or use a computer to print out your sentiments You can also use Brothers online program called Canvas. If you're referring to a typewriter the print will be small. You can cut the typewriter print out by leaving a border so it cuts around the entire sentiment (letters cannot be cut out individually on tiny print), or you can choose and use one of the built in images and cut out typewriter written sentiments, like you'd place a sentiment on a tag.

It's an amazing machine, you'll love it!!!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Unread 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #1375
Embossing Fanatic

I think I get it, just watched a video. Say I want a sentiment that says 'Happy Birthday Old Man'...I don't have a printer, so can I type it into the scan and cut, then cut out the entire sentiment?
Unread 07-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #1376
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monalsw View Post
I think I get it, just watched a video. Say I want a sentiment that says 'Happy Birthday Old Man'...I don't have a printer, so can I type it into the scan and cut, then cut out the entire sentiment?
You can use online Canvas where there are fonts you can choose or use fonts on your computer to write the sentiment then save as a file to use in your machine.

Also use a vector program on your computer, if you have one, and save as svg to use in your machine. There's a free program for creating and several great programs that are reasonably priced, if you want to expand your designing without having to be online.

Or use the built in fonts or designs that are right on your machine! No printer or online required!

Also write or draw letters by hand, scan, and cut.

Yes, YOUTUBE is wonderful!! I'm a huge YOUTUBE fan!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Unread 07-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #1377
Crimping Master

Brother released a Type Converter which allows you to use any of your fonts, not just the ones in Canvas. Easy little program where you type your phrase in and then it saves it as a svg or fcm file for opening in Canvas. There you can change it to draw lines and then add whatever shape you want to the outside for the cut line.
Tonda Baldwin and Annecards like this post.
Unread 07-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #1378
Polyshrink Goddess

And don't forget that you can use pens to draw on your paper.
Unread 07-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #1379
Cardstock Collector

Default If it is like the Scan n Cut 2 then you can connect to a computer.

It also allows you to connect wirelessly, but you will need to purchase a wireless access card to do so. I would say look on eBay for a Scan N Cut 2; I found mine on eBay for less than $200. I also have the first Scan N Cut and I love them both, but the second one would be much better for fussy cutting (I can't fussy cut with sicissors to save my life!).
Unread 07-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #1380
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftingforSanity View Post
I also have the first Scan N Cut and I love them both, but the second one would be much better for fussy cutting
What makes the SnC 2 better for fussy cutting? I know it has the bigger screen, but thought the cutting capability was the same for both models? (assuming the original SnC has had its software upgraded to the latest version). Genuine question - I have the original SnC with all software upgrades applied and love it
Unread 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #1381
Mad Swapper

Default SnC Stamp kit?

Hi all - I have been playing with the stamp kit and getting mixed results. It cuts the stamp material out just fine, but the material itself is a nightmare to work with. The only inks it appears to take after a fashion are the pad which comes with the kit, or chalk inks. Dye inks and archival ink just bead and stamp unevenly, and the material itself is so thin that I have only got it to work in the Misti with the grid paper pad as a shim.

Has anyone else tried this kit and if so, what was your experience with it?

TIA
Unread 08-26-2017, 03:48 AM   #1382
Rubber Obsessor

I just purchased a SNC from HSN a couple of weeks ago. I wanted it for cutting out my stamped images... no more DIES!!!! However, I color my images with Copics on X-press It cardstock and used the "standard" mat to cut... oh it cut it... it stuck so well to the mat that I had to peel it off in shreds.... thought I'd ruined my mat, but eventually scraped off all the fibers and its okay... can't say the same for my image though..lol... THEN i learned that for smooth paper (which is what X-Press It is) use a low tack mat... I purchased one and whattya know... Everything is good again! lol
kazooMI likes this post.
Unread 08-26-2017, 04:17 AM   #1383
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Peezie, just repeating my earlier post -
When new, you just need to run your hand over the cardstock. With use, the mats get covered in fibres and you'll have to burnish the card well. Apparently Brother has come up with a 'better' adhesive on their mats, so I'm looking forward to them being available.
Unread 08-26-2017, 05:11 AM   #1384
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
Peezie, just repeating my earlier post -
When new, you just need to run your hand over the cardstock. With use, the mats get covered in fibres and you'll have to burnish the card well. Apparently Brother has come up with a 'better' adhesive on their mats, so I'm looking forward to them being available.
I will surely try that because I can see the low tack already not very sticky after a few passes... thanks for the tip!!!
Tonda Baldwin and fifiwesfan like this post.
Unread 08-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #1385
Polyshrink Goddess

I treat the "better/improved" mats like my Cricut. I place my hands all over the mat. So to calm the over sticky mat.

Peezie, like the Cricut mat I run hot water from my tap over my Scan N Cut mat. If there are bits of paper or fuzzies, I also use a plastic scrubber and some soap lightly to clean the mat.
Unread 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #1386
FiP
Matboard Maniac

With cleaning and usage, the mats will lose most of their stickiness. Alcohol free baby wipes are recommended for regular cleaning; also in soapy water sometimes. To prolong a mat's life, the internet shows how you could re-stick the mats with a repositionable adhesive (carefully applied) or spray that on the cardstock or I use washi tape. I think the new release of mats with 'better' adhesive will be on the market soon. As no company has ever found the magic potion for adhesive cutting mats, it will be interesting to see how Brother fares.
southgirl likes this post.
Unread 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #1387
Mad Swapper

I re-stickied my first (and so far only used) standard mat with tacky glue diluted to 50% with water and it works perfectly now for cardstock and patterned papers. I clean it after use with a baby wipe and leave it to air dry.
It's good to know there is an improved adhesive in the pipeline; the sticky mats have always been the weak point of the SnC offering.
KSStammper likes this post.
Unread 09-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #1388
Matboard Maniac

Late to the party on this but I just ordered a Scan and Cut 2 after watching a bunch of videos and tutorials and reading through most of this thread. I don't know how I missed this years ago and I'm now lamenting over all the matching dies I bought but really didn't need to get. I'm hoping that this is a easy to use as it looks on all the videos I've watched. Wish me luck!
Unread 09-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #1389
Rubber Obsessor

Default Scan N Cut 2

I know... I am not purchasing many dies that come with stamps anymore. This is the way to go! Saving a bunch of $$$ on dies.. this machine paid for itself in no time! Other than stand-alone dies (shapes, objects, etc), I'm done with dies with stamps. This is way too easy!!! You can have it cut right on the black stamped line or with a "margin" like dies do... piece of cake.
Unread 09-06-2017, 02:43 AM   #1390
Mad Swapper

I still buy intricate dies and those which emboss as well as cutting. The SnC certainly removes the need for the simpler outline dies and means $$ savings just for those.
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Unread 09-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #1391
SCS BRAK Coordinator

I do find myself buying some dies also. But the outlining of the stamps is really what I use the scan n cut the most for.

Design Team for Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges.
Unread 09-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #1392
Matboard Maniac

I'll still probably get stand alone dies and frame dies but since I won't have to buy all the matching dies for many of the stamps sets, I'll have more $$$ to do that! LOL

erin
Peezie and southgirl like this post.
Unread 09-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #1393
Cardstock Collector

Maple Leaf Replacement Blades

Has anyone found a suitable supplier for replacement blades? Other than the "Brother" ones.

I have tried looking through this thread, but it's a long one, and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for the information!
Unread 09-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #1394
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I've seen ones advertised on EBAY, but they look nothing like the real thing and I sure wouldn't be trying them!!
Unread 09-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #1395
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyk1 View Post
Has anyone found a suitable supplier for replacement blades? Other than the "Brother" ones.

I have tried looking through this thread, but it's a long one, and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for the information!
I order them from World Weidner. Here is link to the blade. Brother ScanNCut CABLDP1 Standard Cut Blade

Walmart.com also has them sometimes.
Unread 09-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #1396
Matboard Maniac

Finally unboxed my Scan and Cut and got to play for a bit. I can't believe it took me this long to get one. I just stamped a whole bunch of images, watched some videos and cut away. It was so easy and fast and I didn't want to stop. I stamped a bunch of images with my wood mounted Whipper Snapper stamps that don't have coordinating dies and they cut out perfectly.

Although it took me awhile, it is probably one of the better investments that I made!

erin
bmcg908 likes this post.
Unread 09-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #1397
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Somewhere on this thread, I noticed that someone had bought a carrying bag for their Scan N Cut. I know the ones that are made specifically for it are a little pricey for me so I was looking for a cheaper version.

Unread 09-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #1398
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by taclary View Post
Somewhere on this thread, I noticed that someone had bought a carrying bag for their Scan N Cut. I know the ones that are made specifically for it are a little pricey for me so I was looking for a cheaper version.
I know a number of people purchased a rolling bag via Harbor Freight for less than $40. Just know your machine dimensions and get something just a bit bigger.
southgirl likes this post.
Unread 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #1399
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Thanks Cathy - I thought it was Harbor Freight. Just didn't realize it was a rolling bag. Off to Harbor Freight.

Unread 09-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #1400
Cardstock Collector

Squirrel New t0 group

Hi All - Running out in the morning to purchase my SNC2! New to forum. Have a Silver Bullet but really want and will use the scan feature alot. Looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks so much.

Barb McG.
TexasGrammy and southgirl like this post.