Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #1121
FiP
Kookie Creator

Ahhhh, gotcha!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jeenny2010 likes this post.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #1122
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda71 View Post
And does anyone else see 30 pages for this thread, but can only go to page 28? Drives my CDO crazy!!!!!!!!!
Me too.
Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #1123
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda71 View Post
Ok, I have the SCNC2. Just got it 3 months ago, and haven't had much time to play. I have the wireless card and Canvas. I also have Sure Cuts a Lot 2. I've seen version 4 mentioned above. Will version 2 be enough to work with Canvas, or should I upgrade to version 4?

And does anyone else see 30 pages for this thread, but can only go to page 28? Drives my CDO crazy!!!!!!!!!
First, the 30 pages question. Yes, SCS does that for busy threads. I get the sense it is not an automatic thing - someone has to monitor but I could be wrong. Think of it this way - future space just waiting for us to share what we love about the SNC.

I am not familiar with Scal2 but I believe Scal4 is the only version that they have updated to export to .fcm which means you don't need to take your project into Canvas. I use both programs for different things. Mostly I work in Scal4. Node editing is much easier in Canvas so if I need to do that, I will use it. Scal4 is definitely worth the price if you plan on creating your own designs. If you are just using it to cut out stamped images and basics, you are probably set. You can always do what I did and get started using what you have and if the point comes where you want a more robust program, then buy Scal4. One thing to note, Scal4 has a rhinestone feature to it which means you do NOT need to purchase the SNC one - same pricing as Scal4 and you get the whole program! Fonts are the other big thing. Canvas has only about 12 fonts to choose from. Scal4 uses any font you have on your computer. If you belong to Jen Blausey's Facebook group (ScanNCut Canvas and Scal Help), there is a link to a discounted price.

Hope all that helps!
Brenda71 and stampermomof2 like this post.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #1124
Stampin' Fool

Finally have a blade and can do more than just do test shapes! I have a project i need to cut for a homeschool co-op and think that might be my first thing to try out.

Wondering if it's best to pull out my cricut though for this one. I need to make a lot of same size leaves, and I mean a LOT! On the cricut I would find the size and shape I need and then auto fill so as not to waste paper. Machine calculates automatically how many pieces will cut on a sheet.

On scanncut, would I have to add every leaf individually or is there a similar way to auto fill?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #1125
FiP
Kookie Creator

Yes, the SNC has a setting to maximise the number of items cut. From memory, it's the icon with 3 triangles, 2 up and 1 facing down. Once you've scanned or chosen your leaf, you can specify how many you want, then select the maximising space option.
Tonda Baldwin, Brenda71 and stampermomof2 like this post.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #1126
Mad Swapper

If you want to cut a particular number of a shape, you can select the pattern and then increase the quantity. Then use the auto layout feature.
One of the neatest features which I find myself using all the time is the ability to scan the paper which you are going to cut, and then you can drag shape outlines where you want to on the background image. Particularly useful for when you have a partly used sheet and want to get maximum use out of what's left.
Tonda Baldwin and stampermomof2 like this post.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #1127
Stampin' Fool

Oh yay! Thanks, FiP and Stampnatter! Maybe I'll be able to give up my Cricut after all .
Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #1128
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampermomof2 View Post
Finally have a blade and can do more than just do test shapes! I have a project i need to cut for a homeschool co-op and think that might be my first thing to try out.

Wondering if it's best to pull out my cricut though for this one. I need to make a lot of same size leaves, and I mean a LOT! On the cricut I would find the size and shape I need and then auto fill so as not to waste paper. Machine calculates automatically how many pieces will cut on a sheet.

On scanncut, would I have to add every leaf individually or is there a similar way to auto fill?
One thing about the arranging of multiples. Let's see if I can explain this....The SNC image has a "box" around it (which you see when you select it). When you go to arranging multiples, because of this "box" they don't always get as close to each other as possible in order to fit a bunch of them on a page. What I do is take a small number of them and arrange them myself, trying to get them into a square shape (as much as possible) and then I select and group them. I then add multiples of those and have it arrange them. This also helps me to figure out how many I can fit both vertically and horizontally so I don't get the dreaded "too many shapes" message and having to delete.

If you are cutting 8 1/2 X 11 paper, make sure to go into your settings and change your mat size so it will only fill that space. I didn't learn of this ability in the beginning and had to delete all the shapes that didn't land on my paper. This makes it so much easier!

Have found! Off to do baby invitations on mine now!
Brenda71 and stampermomof2 like this post.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #1129
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
One thing about the arranging of multiples. Let's see if I can explain this....The SNC image has a "box" around it (which you see when you select it). When you go to arranging multiples, because of
If you are cutting 8 1/2 X 11 paper, make sure to go into your settings and change your mat size so it will only fill that space. I didn't learn of this ability in the beginning and had to delete all the shapes that didn't land on my paper. This makes it so much easier!
Oh this is so helpful to know! I probably would have had the cutter cutting leaf shapes directly on the mat, LOL! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #1130
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
Yes, the SNC has a setting to maximise the number of items cut. From memory, it's the icon with 3 triangles, 2 up and 1 facing down. Once you've scanned or chosen your leaf, you can specify how many you want, then select the maximising space option.
Is there an actual "maximizing space option"? What does that option look like on the screen? I usually just increase the quantity of the number of shapes that I want to cut out, but I'd love for it to be automatic or involve less steps.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #1131
FiP
Kookie Creator

I think it will involve some guess work - it partially depends on the size and shape of what you're cutting. Once your shape is on the screen, you might guesstimate you'll fit 6 or 8 or 12 or whatever onto the mat. Duplicate the image to your guesstimated amount, then choose the 3 triangles button. That then takes you to a screen with different options for maximising the space used. It may take a little work to set up, but then you'd be good to go for cutting as many pages as you need.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #1132
Mad Swapper

I just found this video on YouTube which explains it all very well

It starts out as a tour through the settings menus but from about 5½ minutes into the video, she works through cutting multiples of a shape, fitting them into the cutting area, resizing some of the shapes to use as mats and scanning the background so as to fit shapes precisely onto the card you're working with.

I think it's worth watching the whole thing rather than jumping in to the middle, it's only about 12 minutes.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #1133
Stampin' Fool

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I tried figuring it out on my own last night and I couldn't. It took forever to figure out just how to delete a piece I didn't want cut! I will definitely watch this video through .
Stampnnatter likes this post.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #1134
Stampin' Fool

Default My First ScanNCut Project

I know this is simple but it had to be quick and I am just learning. This was my first scanncut project!
Attached Thumbnails
img_20160422_234158.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #1135
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I know this is simple but it had to be quick and I am just learning. This was my first scanncut project!
Very cute! Just keep playing with it and you will get it. Be prepared to fall in love!

Here is my latest project - baby shower invites for my niece.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #1136
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
Very cute! Just keep playing with it and you will get it. Be prepared to fall in love!

Here is my latest project - baby shower invites for my niece.

OMG, so adorable! Love both!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Old 04-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #1137
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Just got a scan n cut and I am hoping to get ideas from this thread.

Design Team for Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges.
Design Team for The Project Bin
Old 04-30-2016, 06:17 AM   #1138
Compulsive Stamper

Hi taclary, I am sure lots of people will chime in with me but you HAVE to join ScanNCut, Canvas and SCAL help on Facebook with Jen Blausey! She has tons of youtube videos and it is an awesome group to join. She and the group are a wonderful source for any question you may have for your SNC and will solve any problems you may have. I can't recommend it enough!
stampermomof2 likes this post.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #1139
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
I just found this video on YouTube which explains it all very well

[url]http://youtu.be/bXxpubvXmzk

It starts out as a tour through the settings menus but from about 5½ minutes into the video, she works through cutting multiples of a shape, fitting them into the cutting area, resizing some of the shapes to use as mats and scanning the background so as to fit shapes precisely onto the card you're working with.

I think it's worth watching the whole thing rather than jumping in to the middle, it's only about 12 minutes.
Thanks! I just watched it and added it to my list. Very helpful.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #1140
Stampin' Fool

Jen's Facebook group is the best for learning. I will say that it doesn't address many stamping projects or issues but someone will always have suggestions. I come here for those.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #1141
Mad Swapper

And if you're like me and don't do Facebook, there are loads of useful videos on YouTube. Applelover53 is very good.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #1142
SCS BRAK Coordinator

I just knew I would get some helpful hints here. I have watched videos on Youtube but now I will have to look for Applelover53. Now off to check out facebook also.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #1143
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
And if you're like me and don't do Facebook, there are loads of useful videos on YouTube. Applelover53 is very good.
I am not sure if you have to be a member of Jen's FB group to see her videos but hers are short and to the point. Search for Jen Blausey on YouTube. You may be able to see them without FB membership.

Applelover53 is good. She just repeats a bit so the videos are long.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #1144
Stampin' Fool

Love my machine! Watched a video on how to do the wireless activation and within the hour completed this project!

(Sorry, don't know how to rotate photo from my iPad.)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by stampermomof2; 05-01-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #1145
Stampin' Fool

Does anyone know if the projects on Canvas get switched? Should I save the ones I like or will they always be available on the site? Also, do you know how often new ones get added?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #1146
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Does anyone know if the projects on Canvas get switched? Should I save the ones I like or will they always be available on the site? Also, do you know how often new ones get added?
I believe they stay. There were on
Y a couple rows when I first got my machine and now there are a bunch. I think they add things monthly.

A quick email to Brother would probably get your answers.
stampermomof2 likes this post.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #1147
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I'd say if in doubt, download and save the ones you like, then you have control over how long they are available to you
southgirl likes this post.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #1148
Polyshrink Goddess

Is $299 the best price for the 350 Model? Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #1149
Mad Swapper

OK, I did it!!!!....ordered it from HSN last night for 296.95 which includes the $50 wireless card, 4.95 shipping & tax - 4 flex pays!!! Good thing I ordered last night as they have already sold out!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #1150
Glitter Guru

I am looking into getting a Scan and Cut 2. I do craft fairs and think this would be a nice machine to have to do many multiple items for that. I am hoping someone can explain which one would be best for a mostly papercrafter...the 350R or the 650W. Seems like the 650W is geared towards those who use it for papercrafting and sewing/fabric projects. Is this the case? I am thinking the 350R would be enough for me, just was wanting to hear from those that have one or the other and why you like the version you have. I have no experience with these types of machines, I just have a Cuttlebug die cutting machine. I think the Scan and Cut would be great to help alleviate some of my fussy cutting and punch use issues with my arthritis, which seems to get worse because of these things.

Also, I have seen many SVG files I like and think it would be cool to have a machine that cuts these out (after conversion to the appropriate file for Scan and Cut machine) and not have to keep buying dies.

PS...I haven't read through the many pages here but will start to read the posts as to get a clearer idea. Just wanted to throw this question out there first and talk with Scan and Cut owners. =)
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 AM   #1151
Mad Swapper

Hi Kelly,

I have the CM550, which is the papercraft and fabric craft Scan n Cut 1 equivalent. I'm a paper crafter. I bought the higher-spec machine because most of the accessories came as part of the deal (and were extra to the CM110 papercraft machine). The 550 has more built in patterns than the 110. I thought it was a better package overall, and if I ever got an urge to make my own appliqués, it was all there.

2 years on (but not having used the machine as much as I planned), I'm not sure that I've made enough use of the extras for it to have been worth getting them.

Brother is good about providing software upgrades, so whatever you buy now is likely to improve in the future. You can either convert SVG files to Brother's .fcm format via Canvas (online design program) or load SVG files directly into the machine. The latter is a new feature introduced in the SnC 2 and then made available to SnC 1 owners via a software upgrade. RGB (colour) scanning is an even more useful feature made available the same way.

The machine is a definite winner when it comes to fussy cutting, and my sets of nesting shape dies are no longer seeing much use. Where dies win out may be ease of use (depending on whether you can leave your SnC set up ready for use), cutting of very intricate patterns and cutting and embossing of patterns. If you want to cut lots of the same shape (without embossing as part of the cutting) then SnC is your friend. If you have a pattern which you like but would prefer in a different size, again SnC lets you re-scale it easily, and dies can't compete. If you have a shape to cut out and want to get as many as possible from your cardstock with minimal waste, SnC will calculate the best layout for you and then cut it.

To answer your original question, I'd say stick with the papercraft one unless you think you will get into quilting or appliqué, in which case the extra patterns built in to the higher range machine will be of interest. Final thought: there is a deep cut blade and holder available for cutting chipboard and other heavy materials, but if you only ever use paper and card stock, you probably won't even need that.

HTH

Julie
kspiv likes this post.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:11 AM   #1152
Glitter Guru

Julie...thank you so much for your reply! I am doing my research and due diligence (it took me 2 straight weeks of research to finally buy a new couch! yea, I am THAT person...) to make sure, but I concur with your expertise that I would really only need the 350R. I will shop around and try to find the best deal and go for it! I think it would be a machine (once I learn how to use it) that will be very helpful to me in projects for my craft fairs.

Again, thank you for your help!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #1153
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Julie...thank you so much for your reply! I am doing my research and due diligence (it took me 2 straight weeks of research to finally buy a new couch! yea, I am THAT person...) to make sure, but I concur with your expertise that I would really only need the 350R. I will shop around and try to find the best deal and go for it! I think it would be a machine (once I learn how to use it) that will be very helpful to me in projects for my craft fairs.

Again, thank you for your help!
I have the 350 and love it. Scanning something over 12" isn't something I have found that I need nor all the other patterns you get on the 650. The wifi card was the only thing I considered the 650 for, however, I really don't mind using a USB stick because you still have to physically move between your computer and the SNC to load it.

Join Jen Blausey's FB group or search on you tube for her videos. She is great on showing how to use your machine.
kspiv likes this post.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #1154
Glitter Guru

Cathy...this was a question I was just getting ready to ask here...
So I actually do not need to buy the activation card if I use a USB cable or flash drive to download images or SVG files I purchase? I do have wifi at home but am not against just plugging in or using a flash drive if it saves me $50. (Honestly, I can't even remember the password to our wifi and I don't think my son does either and he is in the Army, so not at home to figure it out for me....LOL) I would like to be able to use the Canvas application to convert SVG files but didn't know if I could do that without the activation card??
Old 05-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #1155
Glitter Guru

Well, I ordered my machine! I had a coupon for 10% off on Overstock.com and had almost $23 in O Rewards so I got the machine and an extra mat and saved almost $55 on them. Plus free shipping. So I will be lurking here and asking questions, I am sure, but I am excited to give this a go and try out a new machine! Thanks to everyone for answering questions and being so willing to share!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #1156
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I would like to be able to use the Canvas application to convert SVG files but didn't know if I could do that without the activation card??
You can use Canvas without the activation card. You convert the SVG file in Canvas, download the result to your computer and then use a USB stick to get the downloaded file into your SnC.

That's the only option for us SnC 1 users, because that machine doesn't have wi-fi connectivity.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #1157
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Cathy...this was a question I was just getting ready to ask here...
So I actually do not need to buy the activation card if I use a USB cable or flash drive to download images or SVG files I purchase? I do have wifi at home but am not against just plugging in or using a flash drive if it saves me $50. (Honestly, I can't even remember the password to our wifi and I don't think my son does either and he is in the Army, so not at home to figure it out for me....LOL) I would like to be able to use the Canvas application to convert SVG files but didn't know if I could do that without the activation card??
You don't even need to convert your SVG files anymore. Just load them onto a USB and they can be accessed by the machine. The only downside is that you don't see their shape in the preview on the SNC. It is just a blank box. Once you open it into the editing screen, you can see it. It just means you must know the name of the file you want.

I am pretty sure I have posted a link in another post here of a USB extension that I recommend getting. They are only about $5 but I look at it as insurance. You are pulling the USB in and out all the time while working with your SNC. The chances of damaging the port receiver are pretty good. If you are leaving the extension in the SNC port and removing the USB from the extension instead, if you damage something, it is just a $5 replacement as opposed to your $299 SNC.

Also, not all USB sticks work with the SNC. I have found Smaller (less than 32 GB) ones are more likely to work and have had luck with Sandisk. I have a couple of 4 GB cheapest from Staples that work too. Staples was willing to take back the opened USB if they didn't so that made it easy.

You will love your machine. I recently taught a group of 6 new SNC people a class on it and they all are having fun with them.

PM me directly or post here with any more questions. Mother's Day gifts made with my SNC are today's project.
kspiv likes this post.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #1158
Mad Swapper

Who has the very best prices for accessories for the Brother SNC 350?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #1159
SCS BRAK Coordinator

I usually get my accessories at joann.com or amazon. Whichever is cheaper.

OK - question for the group. Do I need the scanning mat? I have been scanning on my regular cutting mats.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #1160
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMoma View Post
Who has the very best prices for accessories for the Brother SNC 350?
Places I have found them: Joann.com, Walmart.com, Amazon.com and WorldWeidner.com.

I ordered blades yesterday. Forgot to check joann's, amazon's were $12.99 but said delivery in 1-2 MONTHS, Walmart didn't have them. WorldWeidner had them $9.99 with free shipping - a winner! Shop around as prices are different and seem to change.