Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #1041
FiP
Kookie Creator

It only uses pens, which can either be purchased specifically for the machine, or with a "universal pen holder", which holds a variety of pens (as long as they fit into the holder). Therefore the ink is from whatever pen you use, and may or may not be suited to colouring.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #1042
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Question

Well, I'm pleading for forgiveness with this question, as I'm pretty sure it's really in this thread "somewhere". But after checking for the past 15 minutes, I'm taking the easy way out and asking y'all.

The scanning mat that came with my SNC2 is just hardly holding cardstock for scanning & cutting. I'm basically hand-burnishing the c/s onto the mat before carefully loading it ... and need to apply approved tackiness.

I do have the spray-on product that I used on my Sizzix Eclips mat, but haven't sprayed it onto this mat. It was/is very very tacky, and a little less tack is actually preferable if it's available.

Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #1043
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
Well, I'm pleading for forgiveness with this question, as I'm pretty sure it's really in this thread "somewhere". But after checking for the past 15 minutes, I'm taking the easy way out and asking y'all.

The scanning mat that came with my SNC2 is just hardly holding cardstock for scanning & cutting. I'm basically hand-burnishing the c/s onto the mat before carefully loading it ... and need to apply approved tackiness.

I do have the spray-on product that I used on my Sizzix Eclips mat, but haven't sprayed it onto this mat. It was/is very very tacky, and a little less tack is actually preferable if it's available.

Suggestions?
Use a non-alcohol baby wipe and rub the mat clean. The fibers from your paper stick to it. You should get months and months of use out of it by just doing that every time you cut. If it gets to a point where it no longer is tacky even with the wipes (mine took over a year), get a Zip 2-way glue pen (same as SU's) and cover the entire grid area, making sure not to get it on the colored areas. Let that dry for 24 hours without the cover sheet and you have a sticky mat again.

I used a spray that a SNC dealer recommended and it ruined my mat. Gummy spray adhesive came off on my paper and then the mat was never the same. Baby wipes and glue pen is all I use anymore and my mats are going strong after 2 years.
gale and LMstamps like this post.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #1044
Demo Challenge Leader

Thanks, Cathy. I'll read the label on my baby wipes to see if they're non-alcohol. I'm not hopeful on that part though, as I usually just buy whatever costs less for inky fingers. LOL
Old 03-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #1045
Mad Swapper

If you need to get the glue pen, look out for the one with the large nib (i.e. not the little one which SU sells). That makes it much quicker to apply the glue
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #1046
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Thanks, Cathy. I'll read the label on my baby wipes to see if they're non-alcohol. I'm not hopeful on that part though, as I usually just buy whatever costs less for inky fingers. LOL
You should use alcohol free ones if you clean your stamps with them as the alcohol will dry out the rubber. The alcohol free ones usually are the same price. Stampnnatter is correct, the jumbo Zig pen is much quicker to use. I found it on Amazon.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #1047
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
You should use alcohol free ones if you clean your stamps with them as the alcohol will dry out the rubber. The alcohol free ones usually are the same price. Stampnnatter is correct, the jumbo Zig pen is much quicker to use. I found it on Amazon.
Oh ... I never use anything on stamps other than my SU stamp cleaner. And since the Misti is always stamping with me, I use lint-free disposable wash cloths spritzed with SU cleaner to clean stamps still positioned on the Misti.

Baby wipes are handy for inky fingers. LOL Some of my customers are really heavy-handed on my juicy ink pads. Ohhhhh my!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #1048
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, this really works. I tried this when Cathy mentioned this another time..and WOW! LM

Quote:
Use a non-alcohol baby wipe and rub the mat clean. The fibers from your paper stick to it. You should get months and months of use out of it by just doing that every time you cut. If it gets to a point where it no longer is tacky even with the wipes (mine took over a year), get a Zip 2-way glue pen (same as SU's) and cover the entire grid area, making sure not to get it on the colored areas. Let that dry for 24 hours without the cover sheet and you have a sticky mat again.

I used a spray that a SNC dealer recommended and it ruined my mat. Gummy spray adhesive came off on my paper and then the mat was never the same. Baby wipes and glue pen is all I use anymore and my mats are going strong after 2 years.

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #1049
Proud Fan Club Member

I keep seeing that a Pen Holder is mentioned as a feature. What do you need a pen for?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #1050
FiP
Kookie Creator

It has a drawing feature. You can buy pens made specifically for the SnC or you can purchase a 'universal pen holder' for the SnC and use any pen that fits into that holder. You can then use the draw function - it will draw with the fitted pen as opposed to cutting with the fitted blade.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #1051
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, I need help. I'm a newbie to the Scan N Cut. I'm purging some stuff from my craft room. If I have say, a Sizzix Bigz die can I cut one out from it and then scan it into my Scan N Cut to save and use it later? Then I could get rid of/sell the Bigz dies? (I know the images are probably copyrighted, I would only use them for my personal use)

And I wouldn't get rid of ones that have scoring (I don't think-unless it looks like I could easily see where to fold it). (And I wouldn't get rid of my Top Note die - never!!! LOL)

Let me know if I'm crazy here, but I just thought of this and don't have time to read through all the posts here.
Thank you!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #1052
Stampin' Fool

Help! I just bought the brother scan n kut on HSN: Brother ScanNCut2 with Wireless Card and Pen Holder | HSN

And then I noticed this one: Brother CM350H ScanNCut2 Machine with Wireless Card | HSN

Can someone tell me the difference? I thought I was getting the 350. I hope I can cancel if the 350 has better options!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #1053
Stampin' Fool

Whew! I just looked at specifications and it does say it's the 350H.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #1054
Stampin' Fool

I watched the HSN video today. When they demonstrated scanning, the stamped sheet was put on a mat that had a plastic-like cover that went on top of the image. It didn't look like that mat was included with the machine. Is that something you have to purchase separately for scanning?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #1055
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampermomof2 View Post
I watched the HSN video today. When they demonstrated scanning, the stamped sheet was put on a mat that had a plastic-like cover that went on top of the image. It didn't look like that mat was included with the machine. Is that something you have to purchase separately for scanning?
Not sure about HSN, but the scanning mat you're talking about is usually an extra purchase. You can easily make your own with tape and a piece of acetate.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Old 03-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #1056
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda71 View Post
Ok, I need help. I'm a newbie to the Scan N Cut. I'm purging some stuff from my craft room. If I have say, a Sizzix Bigz die can I cut one out from it and then scan it into my Scan N Cut to save and use it later? Then I could get rid of/sell the Bigz dies? (I know the images are probably copyrighted, I would only use them for my personal use)

And I wouldn't get rid of ones that have scoring (I don't think-unless it looks like I could easily see where to fold it). (And I wouldn't get rid of my Top Note die - never!!! LOL)

Let me know if I'm crazy here, but I just thought of this and don't have time to read through all the posts here.
Thank you!!
Yes, you can scan in any die cut shape (I have done this many times) and then save that scanned shape to cut out later. When I make multiples of the same project I often do this to save myself time at the Big Shot (since I can cut out a sheet full of ovals or circles or leaves or...).
Brenda71, stampermomof2 and southgirl like this post.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #1057
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annecards View Post
Not sure about HSN, but the scanning mat you're talking about is usually an extra purchase. You can easily make your own with tape and a piece of acetate.
Thanks! I do have acetate. Does that mean though that you need a cover for scanning? You can't just use the mat that came with the machine?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #1058
Stampin' Fool

Ooooohhhhh......I so want to buy it!! I keep going back and forth to HSN.com
stampermomof2 likes this post.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #1059
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:
Perhaps you're thinking of the basic mat that comes with the ScanNCut2. It does have a thin "acetate" layer protecting the surface. The sole purpose of this particular sheet of acetate is to preserve/protect the surface of the scanning mat itself.
To simply scan an image for saving or for cutting directly:
  • Remove the thin acetate protective sheet from the mat.
  • Adhere your image to that mat.
  • Rub to be sure all of the image is laying against the mat without lifting.
  • Insert mat with image into ScanNCut2.
  • Follow scanning directions.
  • Release mat from scan position to remove your image.
  • Replace acetate layer atop the mat when finished.
I have not purchased anything separate for basic scanning/cutting of stamped images on card stock. Hope this helps.
southgirl likes this post.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #1060
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Perhaps you're thinking of the basic mat that comes with the ScanNCut2. It does have a thin "acetate" layer protecting the surface. The sole purpose of this particular sheet of acetate is to preserve/protect the surface of the scanning mat itself.
To simply scan an image for saving or for cutting directly:
  • Remove the thin acetate protective sheet from the mat.
  • Adhere your image to that mat.
  • Rub to be sure all of the image is laying against the mat without lifting.
  • Insert mat with image into ScanNCut2.
  • Follow scanning directions.
  • Release mat from scan position to remove your image.
  • Replace acetate layer atop the mat when finished.
I have not purchased anything separate for basic scanning/cutting of stamped images on card stock. Hope this helps.
Helps a lot, thanks! I was confused after seeing a separate scanning mat.
TexasGrammy likes this post.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #1061
Stampin' Fool

Those of you who have the scan n cut, do you still buy the matching thinlit dies that match stamps? Do you find that you use the Bigshot (or whatever manual machine you may have) a lot less?
Old 03-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #1062
Demo Challenge Leader

I still love my coordinating dies. I teach classes very regularly, and include teaching with dies & the Big Shot in the majority of my card-making classes. I do not use the ScanNCut to "compete" with my SU business at all .. but rather, I allow it to "complement" things that I do here in the studio, etc.
The ScanNCut offers me the ability to cut even more or more highly detailed items, plus lettering & 3D items like a boss.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:10 AM   #1063
Stampin' Fool

Yay!!! I got one!
TexasGrammy, TeeGeeDee, Brenda71 and 3 others like this post.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #1064
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Thanks! I do have acetate. Does that mean though that you need a cover for scanning? You can't just use the mat that came with the machine?
The problem with using your cutting mat is that as your mat gets well loved, the scanner will start to pick up cuts and nicks as things to cut. If you want to "make one" instead of buy one, place a piece of 12x12 white paper (I use the backside of a cheap scrapbook page) on your mat and then a piece of acetate over it and taped along the top of the mat. Then you can slide images between the two. If you find you do a lot of this, it may be worth investing in a scanning mat.

Last edited by Cwmwcw; 03-17-2016 at 08:15 AM..
stampermomof2 and southgirl like this post.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #1065
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda71 View Post

Thank you!!
I haven't played with it yet, but the Stampin' Up! Stylus fits inside the new Universal Pen Holder which means you could probably score with it. Just create those lines as drawing lines and do that before the cutting portion.

I plan on trying this next week and can report back and let you know if it works.
Brenda71, stampermomof2 and Annecards like this post.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #1066
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
The problem with using your cutting mat is that as your mat gets well loved, the scanner will start to pick up cuts and nicks as things to cut. If you want to "make one" instead of buy one, place a piece of 12x12 white paper (I use the backside of a cheap scrapbook page) on your mat and then a piece of acetate over it and taped along the top of the mat. Then you can slide images between the two. If you find you do a lot of this, it may be worth investing in a scanning mat.
Thanks for this information! I couldn't understand why one would need a separate scanning mat. I think I'll go ahead and invest in one because I do plan on doing a lot of scanning. (Though planning and actually doing it are two different things, LOL.)
Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #1067
Polyshrink Goddess

I have sat n the fence about buying a Scan N cut long enough. I finally ordered one. I just know I will love it. I have researched it and thought about it and finally just closed my eyes and bought it. Now to read every post on this thread (i have read a few already).
Brenda71 and NYTripletMommy like this post.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #1068
Stampin' Fool

I tried looking for answers in this thread and did a search but couldn't find anything so please forgive if any of these questions were asked already.

I went to Michaels and Joanns today because of the big sales this week and saw sticker and fabric sheets designed for use with the Cameo or Cricut. Has anyone tried these brands with the Scan n cut? Where do you find Scan n cut accessories and materials since the craft stores don't sell them? Is there one online company that you have found has the best prices on replacement mats?

Has anyone seen a good video on drawing on fabric? Doing a quick scan I see a few on cutting fabric but was wondering what are recommended pens to use for fabric. The video on HSN showed a stuffed toy made after a coloring page was scanned and drawn on fabric and then cut. The lady did an example to show the drawing function but I noticed an ink spot from the pen continuously leaking ink on the spot where the pen was touching the fabric before it started drawing (from the pen just sitting there touching the fabric). I'm wondering if someone found a pen that won't do that.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #1069
Stampin' Fool

stampermomof2, I'm not understanding why you need a 2nd mat. The unit from HSN comes with a 12x12 mat. Is there a cutting mat and a separate scanning mat needed to use the unit?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #1070
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl-ny View Post
stampermomof2, I'm not understanding why you need a 2nd mat. The unit from HSN comes with a 12x12 mat. Is there a cutting mat and a separate scanning mat needed to use the unit?
You do not have to have a second mat for scanning. I have a scanning mat, purchased separately, and I never use it. In fact I get a better scan scan without it, IMHO.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #1071
Polyshrink Goddess

hmmm a fabric marker in the San N cut should (?) allow you to write on fabric. Perhaps?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #1072
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgirl View Post
hmmm a fabric marker in the San N cut should (?) allow you to write on fabric. Perhaps?
You can, I don't do fabrics, print out your design on a 12x12, 8.5, or just draw it on the paper or acrylic, scan it in, save to cut data, place your fabric, bring in your saved image(s), and move the images around the fabric using the stylus and screen. You can also create your design using Brothers online program, MTC, SCAL, create a SVG in the program of your choice, and convert to fcm. There's several ways to do it. You can also make your own scanning mat. It sounds complicated, but actually quiet easy. You'll find a method you like.
southgirl likes this post.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #1073
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl-ny View Post
Someone had mentioned that if your mat is well loved from cutting, the scan will show the nicks and marks.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #1074
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgirl View Post
I'm sure it will write on fabric, just wondering if anyone knows of one that won't pool when the pen is in the starting position since it sits there touching the fabric before you start the machine. The cloth absorbs the ink the longer it is touching the pen. Maybe loading the pen just right before you hit the draw button will prevent this so it's not really an issue? Maybe because the lady in the video needed it ready for the cameras it had to sit there for a bit and that's why the ink pooled.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #1075
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I'm sure it will write on fabric, just wondering if anyone knows of one that won't pool when the pen is in the starting position since it sits there touching the fabric before you start the machine. The cloth absorbs the ink the longer it is touching the pen. Maybe loading the pen just right before you hit the draw button will prevent this so it's not really an issue? Maybe because the lady in the video needed it ready for the cameras it had to sit there for a bit and that's why the ink pooled.
The holder doesn't sit in your starting position. When you load the mat, it is above the area where you place your material. Once it starts moving, it pulls the mat in and the pen will be over your material and drop down to the material and immediately starts moving. I didn't see the HSN video. All I can think is she stopped the machine after it began drawing. It would then stop in place and wait until you confirmed to stop or continue. It would then pool in that spot.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #1076
Stampin' Fool

I have had my machine 1 1/2 years so you know my perspective. On the scanning mat, my recommendation would be to hold off and just make your own. If you find out that you use it enough, then purchase it. It isn't cheap and you don't want to spend that money and have it not be used. I will say that I use mine as I use it every time I get some dies. I scan all of them in so I can cut them instead of using my big shot to save time.

I buy all my supplies at Walmart.com, Amazon or Worldweiner.com. The pricing is virtually the same at all of them. Walmart allows me to pick up locally and get free shipping, Amazon is free ship with prime but not always 2 day and Worldweiner is a smaller business if you like to support small business.

For all of you who just purchased one - you will love it. To get started, the only "extra" I would recommend right away is an extra blade. Keep the Cut Pressure at 0 or -1 as you are learning your machine so you don't break the tip. That was my one mistake - too much pressure and breaking the tip of my blade.
stampermomof2, LMstamps and kspiv like this post.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #1077
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I have had my machine 1 1/2 years so you know my perspective. On the scanning mat, my recommendation would be to hold off and just make your own. If you find out that you use it enough, then purchase it. It isn't cheap and you don't want to spend that money and have it not be used. I will say that I use mine as I use it every time I get some dies. I scan all of them in so I can cut them instead of using my big shot to save time.

I buy all my supplies at Walmart.com, Amazon or Worldweiner.com. The pricing is virtually the same at all of them. Walmart allows me to pick up locally and get free shipping, Amazon is free ship with prime but not always 2 day and Worldweiner is a smaller business if you like to support small business.

For all of you who just purchased one - you will love it. To get started, the only "extra" I would recommend right away is an extra blade. Keep the Cut Pressure at 0 or -1 as you are learning your machine so you don't break the tip. That was my one mistake - too much pressure and breaking the tip of my blade.
Thank you for these tips/suggestions! Can't wait for my toy to arrive .

Still waiting for the answer to the sticker/fabric question. Will the cricut/cameo stuff work with the scan n cut? Curious because I would like to make labels for some essential oil roller bottles and lip balms I make. I will price compare with Avery labels but it would be nice to be able to scan labels so I can fit wherever I want on the sheet, make it whatever size I want, and then that will help me get the most out of one sheet vs printing it out. If anyone's done something like that with your machine, please let me know!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #1078
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Thank you for these tips/suggestions! Can't wait for my toy to arrive .

Still waiting for the answer to the sticker/fabric question. Will the cricut/cameo stuff work with the scan n cut? Curious because I would like to make labels for some essential oil roller bottles and lip balms I make. I will price compare with Avery labels but it would be nice to be able to scan labels so I can fit wherever I want on the sheet, make it whatever size I want, and then that will help me get the most out of one sheet vs printing it out. If anyone's done something like that with your machine, please let me know!
I am not familiar with those Cameo/Cricut products but you can pretty much cut anything as long as it doesn't exceed the thickness restriction. Sticker papers definitely can be cut out.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #1079
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks

I just ordered one and can't wait to use it have been reading all I can thanks for the advice
Quote:

Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #1080
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Cathy...

Cathy...When you say that you scan all of your dies in when you receive them, do you scan the actual dies or the Cardstock that you have cut with the dies? Thanks. LM

Quote:

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.