Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #961
Pearl-ExPert

It's only on the Scan N' Cut 2 - 650 (not the 350). I'm not even sure you can get the 650 yet, and I don't believe it will be available at normal retailers. I could be totally wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottitude View Post
Did you see that Brother is offering a $50 prepaid Visa card rebate for 'qualifying' ScanNCut2 purchases? It has to be purchased from an 'authorized dealer', not sure exactly what that means (whether it includes Joann, Walmart, Amazon, HSN?) but here is the link:
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin..._Rebate_HQ.pdf
My Stampin' Up! site

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #962
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottitude View Post
Did you see that Brother is offering a $50 prepaid Visa card rebate for 'qualifying' ScanNCut2 purchases? It has to be purchased from an 'authorized dealer', not sure exactly what that means (whether it includes Joann, Walmart, Amazon, HSN?) but here is the link:
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin..._Rebate_HQ.pdf
Thanks for the info and link.

Fine print .... ScanNCut CM650W is the only one that the rebate applies to for this machine. The HSN one is ScanNCut CM350H and it's not listed. Many other machines (not ScanNCut) are included in the rebate. Worth checking out if you have a new Brother machine.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #963
Polyshrink Goddess

Good eye ladies!

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Old 11-25-2015, 06:39 AM   #964
Pearl-ExPert

Hallmark Scrapbook has the 2 for $269.99. It says with a free gift but doesn't say what it is. I assume the rhinestone kit. If it's the wireless card, I'll get it. But I don't want the rhinestone kit.
My Stampin' Up! site

Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #965
Polyshrink Goddess

Well it's official, Brother is not offering the ScanNCut2 CM350H model (or equivalent under a different model number) in Canada. The CM650H is available through dealers for $599, however there are no plans at this time to offer the less expensive model. My local dealer is taking orders for guaranteed Christmas delivery, but I'm not paying $600 plus 12% sales tax for this machine!!!

As if that didn't irritate me enough, when I stated that I didn't need all the features of that model, she said (and I quote from her email):

"Then you would want one of the opened CM100 scan Nícut that I have on for $399.99 (no tax) this weekend. It is somewhat scaled down features but at a reduced price."

Oh really? No thank you, I'll order a CM350 from the States for the same amount, and screw the dealer support. Some people seem to live with their heads in the sand. I'm all for supporting local businesses, and I do pay more when buying at my LSS as opposed to Michaels but we're talking a couple extra bucks for an adhesive runner and I get to chat with some really nice gals and help pay their wages. Sorry no, I won't do that to the tune of several hundred dollars. I'm not made of money. Even with the lousy exchange rate, if I buy it for $299 from the U.S., that's still only $399 Canadian... which is what they'll charge me here for a USED original model!!!

(rant over )

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
planet43 likes this post.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #966
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
What is meant by "RGB scanning feature"? LM

RGB = color - red, green blue

In the 80's when Apple first came out with color screens there was a choice as to which you could buy. The choices were a "green screen" or a "RGB screen". The RGB cost more.
LMstamps likes this post.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #967
Proud Fan Club Member

I ordered mine today on Cyoer Monday. I was wondering if there is a way to cut the white inside an image, ex: an arm in the hip, or the slates in a chair?
Proud fan club member since 2008
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #968
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonda Baldwin View Post
I ordered mine today on Cyoer Monday. I was wondering if there is a way to cut the white inside an image, ex: an arm in the hip, or the slates in a chair?
There is but it will take some work. If it is just one, you are probably better off just fussy cutting but if you know you will do it several times with that image,here's an idea of what you will need to do. You will also need to play with it to see which of the two choices works best to get you what you want.

First, stamp your image in high contrast - say black on white. Scan using scan to cut data. Choose the outside lines only. Save that.

Then go back and choose the second one (Region Detection-the double line box and circle). See if it detects the area that you want cut out. If so, save that. Clear your screen and then go back into that file and select the Layout Editing Screen (triangle, square and circle box). Start selecting all the pieces that you do NOT want cut until you are left with just the one you do want cut.

Go out one screen and choose Add and add the file that had the outline of the image that you want cut. As low nag as you haven't moved anything, they should still line up perfectly with each other. Save and overwrite the file.

Now you have the outline and the interior cut you want without all the rest. Keep the file and you can use it over and over. Just stamp your image and after pulling in the file, use the background scan feature so you can see where the first image is. Use the zoom feature to 400% and line it up with your stamped image. Cut out. I did this with the reindeer, Sanaa's and Christmas tree/gifts from the Home for Christmas DSP by Stampin' Up. I created the entire sheet so it would all cut at once.

If the Region Detection button does work right for you, try the Line Detection button.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Cwmwcw; 12-02-2015 at 07:56 AM..
Tonda Baldwin and Stampnnatter like this post.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #969
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
You need to trick your. Machine into seeing it as one image. To do this, use a piece of acetate and place it over your image using a piece of washi tape. Take a fine Sharpie and outline the words how you want. Choose Scan to Direct Cut like you have done for your flowers. When it is done with the scanning, remove the acetate and choose the size of outline you want and cut it! Hang onto the acetate sheet and you can use it over and over again. I store mine in with my stamp set.
That definitely would work. Thanks.
Tonda Baldwin likes this post.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:48 AM   #970
FiP
Kookie Creator

I haven't read thru all these posts, so sorry if this was asked already. 1st question - I scanned an image and saved on the machine memory. I wasn't happy with how it cut, so deleted that file. It happened to be file number 2. Then when I re-scanned & saved, it skips to become file number 3. Once a memory file is deleted, isn't that file number ever available to be used again?
2nd question - although the shape I scanned has straight lines, it is cutting with some uneven lines (this is why I deleted the file - twice in fact). I did the recalibration thing, but I don't understand why some lines are jagged in the scanned image. Any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #971
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I haven't read thru all these posts, so sorry if this was asked already. 1st question - I scanned an image and saved on the machine memory. I wasn't happy with how it cut, so deleted that file. It happened to be file number 2. Then when I re-scanned & saved, it skips to become file number 3. Once a memory file is deleted, isn't that file number ever available to be used again?
2nd question - although the shape I scanned has straight lines, it is cutting with some uneven lines (this is why I deleted the file - twice in fact). I did the recalibration thing, but I don't understand why some lines are jagged in the scanned image. Any suggestions?
Question 1: No, you don't reuse file numbers. They will continue to go up. I save mine to a USB instead of the machine. I can then access the USB from my computer and rename it to something that makes sense. Just keep the name short as the display is limited on file names on the SNC.

Question 2: Was the shape a stamped image or something else? The scanner is extremely sensitive so it sees a lot finer than our eye. What may appear a straight line to you may not be to the scanner. I was scanning in some die cuts and the little fibers along the edges were picked up. I used an emery board to smooth them out and then scanned again. You can also take your file into Canvas and edit it and make the lines straighter yourself.

Hope that helps. If my answer to Question 2 isn't on point, give me some more idea what you are doing and I wil try to help more.
sunnysnowflake likes this post.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #972
Proud Fan Club Member

Ladies I'm looking for some help. Since there are some of the smartest ladies in crafting on this site, I know I will find an answer.
I just bought the scan and cut 2 with color. It is amazing. However, I don't like to cut at all. I don't like a border which is easy. But ...when cutting a stamped image is there an easy way to cut the where there is no opening? Ex: between the arm that is on the hip, the legs when they are crossed, the hair and shoulder....

I don't have Internet and need the scanner to do this without the canvas program.

I watched a you tube video and the girl used acetate but I didn't want to do that much.

My internet is on my phone

My internet is on my phone or iPad when I am at a friends or public place.

I was pushing buttons and almost got it with some red blocks and moving them. But I'm old and really don't know how I got there or what I was doing.
Any and all help appreciated.
Tonda
Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #973
Crimping Master

Tonda, I answered you on how to do this in Post #1030 above. Did you try that?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #974
Glitter Guru

If you don't feel like using Cathy's method, then no. You'll either have to fussy cut that piece out or leave it. I do both, depending on how big the area is and whether I can color it to match whatever I'm putting the cut piece against. I, too, have been too lazy to do the whole acetate thing thus far. But I admire those who do!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #975
Proud Fan Club Member

Cathy,
No, I missed that post somehow, thanks. I'll give it a try. I think you might be right. It might be better to fussy cut the small areas, leave them alone, or pick different stamps. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #976
Mad Swapper

Where does everyone buy their mats and blades from?
Old 12-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #977
Proud Fan Club Member

I just bought new blades and mats on Amazon. I got an ad tonight from Walmart and they were cheaper, not sure what the shippon is. Be careful, I thought I ordered standard blades but they were deep cut. Not its cheaper to buy a deep cut housing unit then to return them. I wasn't planning on doing that but now.....I must. Lol
swandog-4 likes this post.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #978
Cardstock Collector

Amazon had the Brother Scan N Cut along with $100 of freebies (cutting mats/pens) for $299 as a Lightning Deal, so I ordered it. I'm now wondering if I should exchange for the Scan N Cut2. I also have a Cameo, so I'm not sure I would use the wireless capabilities or need to convert an SVG file. What other improvements does the Scan N Cut2 have.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 AM   #979
Rubber Obsessor

I just got my Scan N Cut 2 and was able to play with it for the first time yesterday! I absolutely love it!
TexasGrammy, Brenda71 and sprtchick like this post.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #980
Pearl-ExPert

I'm very excited!! I just ordered my Scan N Cut 2 from Amazon!! We had our last Christmas last night and I received enough cash that I could order it!! I got an extra blade and mat while I was ordering. I didn't get he online activation card yet. I'm not sure if I'd use that feature much. I'm mostly getting it to cut out stamped images.

But for as little as I use my eClips, I'm thinking I can sell it and it's cartridges. If the SNC2 can cut out letters and words, that would be all I need. And I'll be able to sell lots of my dies!!! Time for some purging!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Stampin' Up! site

sprtchick and jenjoy71 like this post.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #981
Stazon Splitcoast

I also got the scanNcut2 350 model for Christmas!! I played with it... Stamped an image..cut it out... Then even scanned a Christmas card and cut out the picture.. It was awesome!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #982
Stampin' Fool

I got the 350 for Christmas too! Its so amazing The only problem so far is that I stamped the hearts from the loads of love truck set and it couldn't scan the outside of the hearts to cut around them all. I need to try a different stamp to make sure the machine does indeed cut incase its defective. Otherwise I finally figured out how to move SVG files and those cut beautifully! As well as the alphabet. Super slick machine
sprtchick and jenjoy71 like this post.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #983
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysnowflake View Post
I got the 350 for Christmas too! Its so amazing The only problem so far is that I stamped the hearts from the loads of love truck set and it couldn't scan the outside of the hearts to cut around them all. I need to try a different stamp to make sure the machine does indeed cut incase its defective. Otherwise I finally figured out how to move SVG files and those cut beautifully! As well as the alphabet. Super slick machine
I haven't tried cutting svg files.. Need to try it out
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #984
Proud Fan Club Member

I was having problems with some of my smaller images being recognized. I watched a YouTube video and she put the size to 0 mm instead of inches and used color button. I set my machine to that and it has picked up every image since. I'm not sure what her name is but she has an accent, British I think. She has several good videos.
Brenda71 and sprtchick like this post.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #985
Mad Swapper

Probably Applelover53 - British SnC enthusiast with lots on YouTube
Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #986
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonda Baldwin View Post
I was having problems with some of my smaller images being recognized. I watched a YouTube video and she put the size to 0 mm instead of inches and used color button. I set my machine to that and it has picked up every image since. I'm not sure what her name is but she has an accent, British I think. She has several good videos.
Great info Tonda, thanks for sharing! I think we've all had this issue at one time or another.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #987
Mad Swapper

For those of us using the original SnC models, upgrade version 1.6 was made available on the 17th December. I have just applied it to mine; we get some improvements such as the ability to adjust the scanning/cutting position if it has shifted
sprtchick and TheOtherMeg like this post.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:25 AM   #988
Mad Swapper

Do you need the deep cut blade and what mat to cut vinyl?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #989
Proud Fan Club Member

Annecards I have a question. In your take a load off, did you cut the embossing folders table, frame and rug? Or did you fussy cut it?
Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #990
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

Just this past weekend a friend was showing me some pics of her recent cuts using her SnC2. Alas, my letter to Santa must have fallen into a cavern ... or whatever, as my stampin' zone remains ScanNCut2-free ... although not by request. I shall remain a faithful lurker of the SNC2 ... Maybe HSN will come out with another unbelievable deal that's just too good to pass up.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #991
Rubber Obsessor

Can Silhouette mats be used with the SnC2 - I found a sale on the light tack mats for the Silhouette but not for the SnC2 mats. Has anyone tried this. Received my machine for Christmas but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #992
Embossing Fanatic

7th, no, you can only use SNC mats.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #993
Proud Fan Club Member

Silhouette and cricut are interchangeable but NOT SNC. SNC is a bigger mat and will not store in a 12 X 12 jet max like the cricut mat will. I put my SCN mat on skirt hangers and hang them from the side of my rolling cart.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #994
Compulsive Stamper

Default Edge after Cutting

I really like the finished edge from a die- it turn under ever so slightly. Does the Scan n Cut leave that kind of an edge? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #995
Mad Swapper

No it doesn't. The turned under edge from the die is due to the pressure of the die on the paper as it goes through the die cut machine. The SnC blade uses much less pressure to cut, hence no turned under edge. You won't get the slight embossed border you see from some dies either.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #996
Stampin' Fool

There is a hack so you can use other mats! I need to try it today. fbstamps.com is Fleurette Bloom. I follow her religiously on Periscope. You can catch replays on Katch.me. She basically cut a cricut mat sides off so that the cricut mat doesn't go under the rollers. Then tape the circuit mat onto the snc mat. It needs to be taped below the line at the top of the mat because the snc reads that line. I got the extra sticky circuit mat to use for fabric and I need to try this hack!
gale likes this post.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:09 AM   #997
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for that information. I tried scanning an Arts Impression girlfriends stamp yesterday - I thought it was interesting that it cut around the image but then it also cut out a couple of random mouths and noses. I need to watch some more videos I guess. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #998
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSister View Post
Thank you for that information. I tried scanning an Arts Impression girlfriends stamp yesterday - I thought it was interesting that it cut around the image but then it also cut out a couple of random mouths and noses. I need to watch some more videos I guess. Thanks again.
There is a setting on the machine that allows you to exclude smaller objects from cutting. So, for example, you could tell the machine not to cut anything smaller than 1/4 inch. You set it based on the size of your design. This should allow you to cut an outline but NOT cut noses and mouths if the scanner has picked them up. I don't have the machine in front of me so I can't tell you exactly what the feature is . I think it is "exclude object size" in the settings menu. Maybe another SCS-er can tell you exactly how to get there.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #999
Proud Fan Club Member

7 sisters, I also love art impression stamps but they don't cut well duty to the fact the outline is broken. If you match the ink color or us a pencil so you can erase the line. Gentry fill in all broken lines and it will cut it to perfection. I did a master outline image, I put an arrow where the image is broken. So when I go to cut the image I look at th master and see exactly where I need to close the image. I hope this helps.
TexasGrammy and Rachelrose like this post.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #1000
Glitter Guru

I thought about that, too… was there a break in the outline. That's when I get odd cuts.

I use a pencil and close up any tiny space. Doing this has allowed me to cut many stamps that refused to scan without this fix. (And I can erase the pencil line afterwards if I want to.) If you do this and scan and still don't get a single outline, look at the image again to see if you've missed something. It only takes a small break (or an area of the stamped image that isn't clean and sharp) to confuse the scanner.