Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #681
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Helpful SCSers - now that my initial "must have now" impulse has been stymied by needing to return the SnC I bought from Amazon, I am doing more research. I posted a new thread in Tool and Product Talk asking about the Zing's fussy cut ability,
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/knk-zing-fussy-cuts-v-scan-n-cut-t585497.html#post20564544

I know some of the readers of this thread have Zing experience and I would welcome anyone's comments.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #682
Polyshrink Goddess

Default SnC Canvas program

I spent some time playing with Canvas to see what it can do, and wanted to share that, for those of you who haven't tried it, it has a 5 additional fonts available, and is much easier to work on that the mini SnC screen. I haven't actually cut out any of the .fcm files I made, but I was able to save them to a USB and plan on testing them out if I can get to a Brother dealer soon.

I tried the feature allowing you to work with a jpeg, and it seemed to work after a bit of trial an error on the settings. Again, not sure how it will cut, but I am hoping it is a way to get smoother cuts with less ""scan noise".

It is not super well documented, but if you read the online user manual of sorts in the "help" section, you can get up and running pretty fast.

It is super easy to weld words without having to enter each letter. Type the entire word, go to Edit/Properties and make character spacing negative, keep going down until you have the letters overlapping slightly, then use the "weld" button at the top of the screen. You are limited to their installed fonts, but there are 10 total, so a bit more selection than just on the machine.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #683
Glitter Guru

Thanks for that info, Karen. I need to get going with the Canvas program, and just haven't made time for it yet.

I don't know anything about the Zing, I'll have to read up on it. Now I'm curious!

I did want to post that I am finding that having your paper completely flat against the mat is necessary for good scans. I was doing some direct cuts this morning - so I could not use the scanning mat - and the images were ones I had heat embossed, and the cardstock was a bit wavy from the heat gun. I could not get the scanner to recognize an outline until I ditto-ed the back of the card stock so that it was absolutely flat on the mat. And used a bit of tape. After that, no problems. Just posting this so people will take it into consideration as a possible issue if you are having problems getting the machine to scan something you think it ought to be able to scan.

Even a lifted paper corner which is nowhere near your image can throw off the scanner. The Brother rep did tell me that, but I didn't realize how very true it is.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-19-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #684
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wondering if anyone has tried to direct cut stamped images using colored inks such as pinks, yellows, and greens. Is a solid black outline a must?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #685
Glitter Guru

No, the image absolutely doesn't need to be black. The machine will recognize a colored image. The key is contrast. You need to try out your ink colors and see what works. Very light colors, or a color stamped on a similarly colored cardstock with low contrast might not scan. You will just have to play around.

And there is a "threshold setting". Look on page 52 of the manual to see where it is. It might help, I haven't tried it yet. You click on the little scale and can set the machine to recognize lighter colors. It's kind of counterintuitive if you haven't worked with thresholds before. If you want the scanner to recognize lighter colors, set the scale to the "lighter" side.

As I say, I haven't used this to try to get lighter colors to scan. But I'll give it a try when I get a chance. In the meantime, Arizona, do some experimenting to find out which colors are too light for the machine to scan.

You are definitely not limited to black!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #686
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Rachelrose! I haven't bought my machine yet. Still making a list of pros and cons. Unfortunately the uneven border cutting is a huge con. Still trying to decide if I want to risk it.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #687
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Thanks Rachelrose! I haven't bought my machine yet. Still making a list of pros and cons. Unfortunately the uneven border cutting is a huge con. Still trying to decide if I want to risk it.
Me too. ATM if I can't be 99% guaranteed a perfect border I may as well use a cheaper machine with another scanner and stamp after.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #688
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has tried to direct cut stamped images using colored inks such as pinks, yellows, and greens. Is a solid black outline a must?
I wanted to cut out a sheet of balloons which I stamped in various colours (blue, green, coral and yellow). The only colour which my SnC had trouble with was the green. I got a better result when I realised the green balloons had fuzzy edges, so I drew round them with the fine end of the same coloured marker. The next scan attempt outlined all except one, which was good enough for what I wanted.

These were all stamped on white, so the contrast was good. I haven't yet experimented with coloured images on a non-white background; I expect the machine will find that a bit more challenging.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #689
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I have seen posts on a couple of SnC facebook groups where people shared their cuts and many weren't perfect either. But they were happy with them anyway. Maybe I'm just picky but for that money, I want it to look pretty darn perfect. Especially since it was the sole reason I wanted the SnC.
I also think/believe it shouldn't be up to a paying customer to solve the problems.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #690
Glitter Guru

I did blue ink on pink paper on a recent card and it scanned fine. Like I said, I haven't really spent time just playing around to see how much contrast is needed. But I'm sure in the course of trying to scan things I'll start to see where the limits are.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #691
Cardstock Collector

Default Brother scan n cut

Hello ladies,
I've been following this thread & thought I would leave a comment.
I did see this contraption last year and told my self to look away and I did good! But somehow I stumbled across it again and poof, I managed to find a dealer that had one in stock and scooped it up. I received the blue scanncut this past Monday. Bot locally from a Brother dealer in Ontario Canada.

Unboxed it, set it up in less than 10 minutes. I had images that were printed from a colour laser printer and the same images coloured with Inktense pencil crayons.

Margin set at zero and all cut beautifully. WOW! I am tickled pink! I even used the low tack mat because I grabbed the wrong one.

Yesterday I cut another 10 images (with the standard mat) and only had one hiccup because the vase image didn't have much contrast. And I used the word 'believe' in the stock files and placed it on a 3x4 card (for PL) and cut out the word. Awesome!

I'd have to say, a printed sheet of images, a quick scan and then cutting it is SO much faster than doing it on my Silhouette (sorry my beloved Silhouette). As much as I hate those mats, the SNC's work pretty good!

One thing that it can't do is cut parts out if it is inside the image. I suppose if you traced that part on acetate and put white paper under it and then scan it, remove the white paper & acetate and then hit cut that may work but it is a few extra steps.

I'm sorry that some are having problems. I hope it all gets sorted out for you. This machine is amazing! I am so in love with this new toy....can you tell!!?
sprtchick, slyn11 and Lilyzee like this post.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #692
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
How did you get the square around the words?
I first picked my pattern from the booklet then I chose it as if to cut it out. At this point on the bottom left part of the screen is a place to click scan. Scan in the sentiment then you can move, resize, whatever with your 'pattern'! I really like doing this and is saving me soooo much time.
sprtchick and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #693
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Kzaban...

Thanks for sharing this encouraging news. Are you able to get even borders all around the images when you cut with an offset? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzaban View Post
Hello ladies,
I've been following this thread & thought I would leave a comment.
I did see this contraption last year and told my self to look away and I did good! But somehow I stumbled across it again and poof, I managed to find a dealer that had one in stock and scooped it up. I received the blue scanncut this past Monday. Bot locally from a Brother dealer in Ontario Canada.

Unboxed it, set it up in less than 10 minutes. I had images that were printed from a colour laser printer and the same images coloured with Inktense pencil crayons.

Margin set at zero and all cut beautifully. WOW! I am tickled pink! I even used the low tack mat because I grabbed the wrong one.

Yesterday I cut another 10 images (with the standard mat) and only had one hiccup because the vase image didn't have much contrast. And I used the word 'believe' in the stock files and placed it on a 3x4 card (for PL) and cut out the word. Awesome!

I'd have to say, a printed sheet of images, a quick scan and then cutting it is SO much faster than doing it on my Silhouette (sorry my beloved Silhouette). As much as I hate those mats, the SNC's work pretty good!

One thing that it can't do is cut parts out if it is inside the image. I suppose if you traced that part on acetate and put white paper under it and then scan it, remove the white paper & acetate and then hit cut that may work but it is a few extra steps.

I'm sorry that some are having problems. I hope it all gets sorted out for you. This machine is amazing! I am so in love with this new toy....can you tell!!?

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 31, 2017
Please join us in our 2018 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #694
Cardstock Collector

Default Lmstamps

I cut one image with a one stop margin increase (0.04).
It was perfect all around. I thought it was a bit narrow so will use 0.08 next time.
I also cut a mat for an image. After the image was cut out, I placed a black piece of cardstock where the image was, increased the margin to 0.08 and hit cut, it cut just fine!
If I get to play this weekend, I'm going to create some PL cards.
sprtchick and LMstamps like this post.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #695
Stazon Splitcoast

Default silly question please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzaban View Post
I cut one image with a one stop margin increase (0.04).
It was perfect all around. I thought it was a bit narrow so will use 0.08 next time.
I also cut a mat for an image. After the image was cut out, I placed a black piece of cardstock where the image was, increased the margin to 0.08 and hit cut, it cut just fine!
If I get to play this weekend, I'm going to create some PL cards.
What are PL cards?
Thank you!
Amber
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #696
Rubber Obsessor

The Scan N Cut is going to be on HSN tomorrow for the all day craft day. If anyone wanted to see a demo.

Brother ScanNCut Machine with Accessories at HSN.com
Hiding in My Craft Room likes this post.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #697
Rubber Obsessor

As far as cutting borders around stamped images...here are some I did recently. The two Prima Bloom Girl stamps I did last night...border looks great.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #698
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn11 View Post
The Scan N Cut is going to be on HSN tomorrow for the all day craft day. If anyone wanted to see a demo.

I'm jealous of that bundle but glad I already have mine! It's already saved me so much time! Might be the best purchase I've ever made!
slyn11 likes this post.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #699
Gallery Gazer

Here's an image that really wouldn't work to be cut out because of the fallen ice cream so I cut around it! Good bye Nestibilities and figuring out which one will fit only to find out that none really do!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
slyn11, RiverIsis and iluv2color like this post.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #700
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
Here's an image that really wouldn't work to be cut out because of the fallen ice cream so I cut around it! Good bye Nestibilities and figuring out which one will fit only to find out that none really do!
This came out great. I never invested in Nestabilities, though I had considered it many times. Now I don't have to.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #701
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn11 View Post

This will be fun to watch. First showing tonight at 10 pacific time. Glad I have mine already too! I have the red one but I ended up buying most of the fun extras that came with the blue one...
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #702
Gallery Gazer

And here's the inside and the sentiment cut out with my Scan N Cut!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by Hiding in My Craft Room; 03-23-2014 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add picture
nancystamps and iluv2color like this post.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #703
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2color View Post
This will be fun to watch. First showing tonight at 10 pacific time. Glad I have mine already too! I have the red one but I ended up buying most of the fun extras that came with the blue one...
I'm in SoCal and will be watching!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #704
Polyshrink Goddess

Is there additional benefit to buying from HSN other than the additional pens/holder included in price? Do they have a good return policy where they pay for return shipping if the machine isn't cutting on center? I've never shopped with them so anyone who has please let me know.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #705
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by karjor View Post
Is there additional benefit to buying from HSN other than the additional pens/holder included in price? Do they have a good return policy where they pay for return shipping if the machine isn't cutting on center? I've never shopped with them so anyone who has please let me know.
HSN tends to offer flexpay so you can spread payments out over time..many find this attractive for high ticket items.

Also they have a 30 day no question return policy, so while they don't pay for the return shipping it does allow you to try the machine out thoroughly before deciding to keep it. I like to buy electronics/computers from HSN for that very reason.

Google HSN coupon codes...new customers usually get 15-20 percent off their first offer.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #706
Polyshrink Goddess

Well.......I finally broke down and ordered the one through HSN. The FLEX pay option proved too tempting and they have a good return policy so I feel comfortable giving it a try. I will be giving this baby a good workout as soon as it arrives! I want to allow plenty of time to return it if needed. Hopefully I get a good machine and it lives up to my expectations.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #707
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Well.......I finally broke down and ordered the one through HSN. The FLEX pay option proved too tempting and they have a good return policy so I feel comfortable giving it a try. I will be giving this baby a good workout as soon as it arrives! I want to allow plenty of time to return it if needed. Hopefully I get a good machine and it lives up to my expectations.
Congrats! It will probably be awesome - I know I was very impressed with the capability and was of use.
And if it isn't - back it goes!
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #708
Gallery Gazer

I missed it! Well, most of it!
Did we learn anything new? Did she demo the canvas program?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #709
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karjor View Post
To me the bundle is a better deal than I've seen!
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #710
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Laurie, Thank you for taking the time to share. It is REALLY appreciated
I got mine out of the box 1 week ago and cut several stamped flowers (LOVE LOVE ) and then got side tracked on a week long clean/rearranging spree in making room for it

Carolyn
Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #711
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Although you could have stamped it and cut it as you did, only coloring in the fallen ice cream, then stamped again and cut out only the little girl and colored her and then popped her up! !

Very cute card!

I have to say, I find I still use my Nesties. If I have the right size, I like the embossed edge. I don't feel like my SNC has replaced my Big Shot. They overlap, but each does things the other can't.
Hiding in My Craft Room and slyn11 like this post.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #712
Polyshrink Goddess

Glad I purchased my SNC when I did. I just checked the listing on HSN to see if they posted a video yet and they are all sold out.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #713
Glitter Guru

Since the machine was part of a paper crafters show, I assume they were selling the red machine.

That's good. The more paper crafters that buy this machine, the more issues that are pertinent to paper crafters (as opposed to quilters) are going to be brought to Brother's attention. This can only benefit us.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #714
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Glad I purchased my SNC when I did. I just checked the listing on HSN to see if they posted a video yet and they are all sold out.
Me too! I had just decided to tell DH I wanted one for me Bday after seeing it in action on Saturday. So when a friend let me know about the HSN deal last night I ordered. Thank goodness I didn't wait. I am excited to get it!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
FSJ coach #813478
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #715
Glitter Queen

@ Arizona
boy did they go FAST! I forgot to set everything to record last night, got up at 5:30 A.M. Texas time and when I turned the t.v. on at 6 a.m. the Brother segment was on.....just as I was going thru and hitting record on all of the shows for the rest of the day I heard them announce that they only had 300 left and would NOT be repeating the show....I did go online and watch the episode just to see if there were any new/different ideas & tips

Carolyn
Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #716
Inking Addict

On a whim I went to the HSN site from the link above. I was able to add one to my cart. Plus I got a pop-up for an extra 15% off for being a first time shopper. So for all who missed it maybe they aren't quite sold out yet. If I didn't already have one I'd snap up the deal with all the extras.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #717
Crimping Master

I went out to HSN earlier today and it said sold out but after seeing Lilyzee's post, I went out and was able to purchase one too - with the 15% savings! $50 off! I hope mine is calibrated correctly when it comes.
Lilyzee likes this post.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #718
Stazon Splitcoast

After weeks of deliberation, I decided to go for this deal too. I was also able to purchase it and also hope I get one that is calibrated correctly. I will be really excited once I check that out and it works.

Has anyone who purchased from HSN received theirs yet? Is it calibrated correctly? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
I went out to HSN earlier today and it said sold out but after seeing Lilyzee's post, I went out and was able to purchase one too - with the 15% savings! $50 off! I hope mine is calibrated correctly when it comes.

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #719
Stazon Splitcoast

I just checked my confirmation email and it is not arriving until 04/22/2014. So I guess they are out of stock, but I am glad I got the deal at this price even though I have to wait. LM

Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #720
Polyshrink Goddess

I got a shipping notice from HSN 2 days ago, so hopefully mine will arrive soon.
Lilyzee likes this post.