Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 AM   #561
Polyshrink Goddess

Did it just cut the whole image or did it cut the pieces for you too?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 AM   #562
Glitter Guru

I curious about this, too. I'm assuming you cut multiples of the stamp and then cut apart the different parts to paper piece. I can't see how you could get the machine to cut apart an image.

In which case, you might want an offset on the main image, but wouldn't you want the cuts that were going to be pieced over it to be cut without one?

Hope that question makes sense. Or maybe it's as clear as mud! !
Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #563
Stazon Splitcoast

I am thinking that maybe she cut one image that did not have a border and then ran that through the SnC to get multiple pieces? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Did it just cut the whole image or did it cut the pieces for you too?

If you would like to see my cards, please click here

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #564
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
I curious about this, too. I'm assuming you cut multiples of the stamp and then cut apart the different parts to paper piece. I can't see how you could get the machine to cut apart an image.
By this I meant once the complete image was fussy cut by the machine, you'd have to cut the different areas of it apart by hand. I can't think how you could get the machine to cut an image into its composite parts. If you can, I'd love to know!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #565
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
By this I meant once the complete image was fussy cut by the machine, you'd have to cut the different areas of it apart by hand. I can't think how you could get the machine to cut an image into its composite parts. If you can, I'd love to know!
It would be awesome if the machine could do this. It would add another line to my pros on my pro vs con list. I've been reluctant to buy this machine because of the problems with un-even cutting.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #566
Glitter Guru

I would be surprised if cutting an image into its parts were possible. We need QueenOfInkland to weigh in here.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-25-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #567
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm pretty certain you can have the machine cut an outline such as words would be. Same concept with fussy cutting, it will cut either side of the lines of a stamp. It was one of the things that caught my attention because I too hate to fussy cut.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #568
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyzee View Post
I'm using a bit of watered down Aleene's Tack It Over and Over. Appling with a foam brush the way I do for my Slice. Then letting it dry well. I can't use too much or the paper sticks a little too well. I have a few deep cuts in my mat. I wish they made a self healing mat but they want those sales!
I need to remember to look at the freebie at Miss Kate's every day.
I've been using this on my Cricut mats for over 4 years! If it's is too sticky add more water! I will be using it on my Scan N Cut mats as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #569
Gallery Gazer

I am loving this machine! I have to admit I've had it for a little while and just haven't had time to play with it. Plus, I am a video maker and wanted to do a fresh out of the box video and just haven't had time to.

Here's a photo of my first cut! I did the image Direct Cut at .04, then went back and change it to .12 then reloaded my mat and cut then went back and changed the border to .20 then cut it in black! Love how easy it is to cut out stamped images then making mats is literally priceless to me! Anything that can save me this much time! LOVE IT!

The mats were cut perfectly but the picture is not. I haven't colored or glued down the image so it might look off but trust me it isn't. I will be making a card with this tomorrow and posting it Thursday for this week's challenge on my blog. Oh, the stamped image is from Alota Rubber Stamps! This week's sponsor!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
LMstamps, QueenOfInkland, slyn11 and 3 others like this post.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #570
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
I am loving this machine! I have to admit I've had it for a little while and just haven't had time to play with it. Plus, I am a video maker and wanted to do a fresh out of the box video and just haven't had time to.

Here's a photo of my first cut! I did the image Direct Cut at .04, then went back and change it to .12 then reloaded my mat and cut then went back and changed the border to .20 then cut it in black! Love how easy it is to cut out stamped images then making mats is literally priceless to me! Anything that can save me this much time! LOVE IT!

The mats were cut perfectly but the picture is not. I haven't colored or glued down the image so it might look off but trust me it isn't. I will be making a card with this tomorrow and posting it Thursday for this week's challenge on my blog. Oh, the stamped image is from Alota Rubber Stamps! This week's sponsor!
I never even thought about making mats for my direct cuts...whoa...lol it is like a whole new world of ideas just opened. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #571
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Thanks for that, BathBelle. I have no experience with any other e-cutter. I was wondering whether other machines came with better mats.

If that's just the nature of the beast, then I'll learn to deal with it.
I like Cricut mats best...silhouette mats are okay too...and I actually think the SNC mats are stronger than they appear. I have been using the same mats since October and they are going strong.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #572
Glitter Guru

I'm figuring out how to work with mine. Have not tried the Aleen's trick yet, I've been using painter's tape and Dotto. But I have an extra on hand for when it wear out, and I bought a scanning mat to save wear on the regular mat.

I'll probably try the Aleen's when my original mat starts to really give out. Then, if I don't like it, I'll still have the other one.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #573
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I'm figuring out how to work with mine. Have not tried the Aleen's trick yet, I've been using painter's tape and Dotto. But I have an extra on hand for when it wear out, and I bought a scanning mat to save wear on the regular mat.

I'll probably try the Aleen's when my original mat starts to really give out. Then, if I don't like it, I'll still have the other one.
I use painter's tape and Zig two way glue pen...never tried the Aleenes...the zig works great on my Cricut mats. I use the wide pen and just spread it on, let it dry...extremely mess free.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #574
Stazon Splitcoast

How long do you have to wait til the Zig two way glue pen is dry enough to use the mat? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn11 View Post
I use painter's tape and Zig two way glue pen...never tried the Aleenes...the zig works great on my Cricut mats. I use the wide pen and just spread it on, let it dry...extremely mess free.

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #575
Inking Addict

Quote:

I need to try cutting mats. Right now I'm still having a problem with getting it to scan well. I can stamp 3 images, all the same, with the same ink, and it will only recognize and cut out one of the 3. Why does it do this? I cleaned the scanning part underneath to make sure that that was not the problem.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #576
Glitter Guru

I have had that happen. I've just been working around it when it does. I cut the images it recognizes and then rescan and get the others.

I'll try to call Brother today and ask them why it's happening and post what they say.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #577
Stazon Splitcoast

I wonder if it only has so much scan memory. It seems that the no cut area when I have watched the videos posted by different users is all in the bottom right of the mat.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #578
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I need to try cutting mats. Right now I'm still having a problem with getting it to scan well. I can stamp 3 images, all the same, with the same ink, and it will only recognize and cut out one of the 3. Why does it do this? I cleaned the scanning part underneath to make sure that that was not the problem.
I have the same problem.

Like Rachelrose, I cut the image(s) it recognizes then rescan the others. If I still have problems with it recognizing the image, I either give up or stamp another image & try again. Mostly I just give up.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #579
Glitter Guru

It's not been consistent. I stamped five of one image one day and it scanned and cut all of them in one go. The other day, four images, not really much bigger or more more complex, and it took two passes.

I am going to call them and ask. If not today, probably tomorrow. I know someone on some video had that issue and said "You can't overwhelm the scanner." But if wasn't an official Brother video, it was just someone who had bought the machine, so I'm not taking that as the last word on the subject.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #580
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
How long do you have to wait til the Zig two way glue pen is dry enough to use the mat? LM
Zig glue dries in minutes...it is permanent when wet and removable when dry. I can resticky a whole mat in 5 to 10 minutes.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #581
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Mine does this too from time to time. I usually just rescan or shift the paper on the mat and then rescan it works fine. I think it is a glitch...sort of how the Cameo is not always accurate with print and cuts... hopefully Brother will work on this if enough of us make them aware.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #582
Glitter Guru

That's a good reason for anyone who is having this problem to call. (Yes, I know I sound like a broken record.) It's great for us to share our knowledge here, but it is more helpful to us ultimately if Brother can log numerous customer service calls on an issue.

slynn - I found that Zig glue in a stick (like a regular glue stick) on Amazon and am going to buy it and give it a try. I think you mean the stick form and not the pen, correct?
slyn11 likes this post.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #583
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
That's a good reason for anyone who is having this problem to call. (Yes, I know I sound like a broken record.) It's great for us to share our knowledge here, but it is more helpful to us ultimately if Brother can log numerous customer service calls on an issue.

slynn - I found that Zig glue in a stick (like a regular glue stick) on Amazon and am going to buy it and give it a try. I think you mean the stick form and not the pen, correct?
I agree Rachelrose...I will be letting Brother know of my issues.

The zig pen I use is this one - Amazon.com: Zig Memory System Two Way Glue Pen, Carded, Jumbo Tip: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #584
Gallery Gazer

I am not having any scanning issues yet but I haven't used it very much. I have noticed that my mat is starting to show some cuts that are being picked up. I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with the inconsistent scanning? Just a thought!

Here's my finished card. I scanned the sentiment and cut it out using a preloaded pattern! LOVE this machine!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Brenda71, sprtchick, slyn11 and 2 others like this post.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #585
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I am not having any scanning issues yet but I haven't used it very much. I have noticed that my mat is starting to show some cuts that are being picked up. I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with the inconsistent scanning? Just a thought!

Here's my finished card. I scanned the sentiment and cut it out using a preloaded pattern! LOVE this machine!
Did you cut the preloaded pattern and then stamp on it?
If you stamped, then cut it, can you share the steps to do this?

I would like to print an image on the page and have a scallop circle around it.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #586
Glitter Guru

I think you could use the background scanning feature for that. Stamp your image and then treat it as a background. Here's a video where that function is demonstrated. You would have to select the shape you wanted ( she actually uses a scalloped circle in the video) and possibly resize it to fit around your image the way you wanted, but then you could drag it over your stamped image (I think):

Brother? ScanNCut Feature: Background Scan - YouTube
Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #587
Embossing Fanatic

I have a question for all those lucky ladies that have this machine ;0). I need to create and cut some bookmarks and I want to have 6 designs in a single sheet of cardstock. Would this machine be able to cut all 6 designs individually after scanning them? what is the process like? Sorry if this sounds too silly to ask, I will consider to get this machine if it can do it easily. If not, can someone recommend one that could? Thank you so very much!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #588
Glitter Guru

With things functioning as they should, the answer would be yes, IF the images you wanted to cut were of the type that the machine can read and make an outline for. In other words, the image has to have a solid, unbroken outline to it. If it doesn't, you can sometimes hand draw one around the image and then the scanner will be able to do its magic. But that's an extra step.

And of course, today some of us have been talking about having problems with the machine recognizing multiple images. But as I said, ideally, yes. I have stamped several images on a piece of card stock and the machine has scanned them and then cut them out perfectly, one after the other.

It would be helpful if you posted the type of images you want to use. It will be easy to tell you if they would work.

Your question is not silly at all. If you are considering buying a e-cutter, you need to know if it will do the kind of things you want it to do.
RJP111 likes this post.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #589
Embossing Fanatic

Rachelrose

Thank you so very much for answering my question. Here is a sample of the template I'd like to use. I'm assuming as long as the designs are clean and simple lines, the scanner should recognize it. I hope it will not cut the inside of the bookmark though.
Attached Thumbnails
sample-bookmark.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #590
Glitter Guru

If you ask the machine to do an outline, it's going to recognize the outside of the rectangles. It would only cut out things on the inside if you asked it to do a "line" or "area" cut.

I've not yet done anything where the images (rectangular shapes in this case) were so close together (I'm thinking where the tops and bottoms of the bookmarks meet), but the manual for the machine shows it being done, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Maybe someone else has done something like this and will weigh in.

I would have to say, though, that this kind of project would not make the Scan N Cut worth spending $400 - $500 on (depending on which model you get). You want to be cutting out things that would otherwise require elaborate fussy cutting, and doing custom mats for underneath stamped images, and being able to cut shapes in many sizes and creating your own art or text and cutting that out.

Now, if you knew someone else who had one and you could just go over and use it.... !
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #591
Inking Addict

[QUOTE=Rachelrose;20541777]That's a good reason for anyone who is having this problem to call. (Yes, I know I sound like a broken record.) It's great for us to share our knowledge here, but it is more helpful to us ultimately if Brother can log numerous customer service calls on an issue.

If some one calls CS can they please let me know what CS says about the problem of not being able to get a good scan of multiple stamps. I am hearing impaired and do not use the phone. TIA
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #592
Glitter Guru

I will call them and report back. In the meantime, heres's a video of someone doing scanning of multiple images, and one of them doesn't scan... so I guess this is an issue that's common:

Brother ScanNCut Cutting Multiple Stamped Images - YouTube

Note the use of washi tape to hold down the card stock! But I don't get why she uses the low-tack mat for Neenah Solar white CS. ??

Oh, and to correct my earlier post, I of course meant "line" and "region" cutting, not "line" and "area" cutting. Bit of a senior moment there.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-27-2014 at 06:12 PM..
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #593
Stazon Splitcoast

I am guessing that the SU two-way glue pen works this same way. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn11 View Post
I agree Rachelrose...I will be letting Brother know
of my issues.

The zig pen I use is this one - Amazon.com: Zig Memory System Two Way Glue Pen, Carded, Jumbo Tip: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #594
Glitter Guru

I use the low-tack mat for some papers because a new regular mat tears my paper.

I have a couple regular tack mats. one I keep very tacky in case I need that much sticking power, the others I pat down with my hands right after taking them out of the package to make them less sticky.

Still loving my SNC, but keeping my eye out for something to use instead of the expensive SNC mats. I'm thinking thin plastic with Krylon Easy-Tack would work, but didn't see anything suitable when I wandered through Home Depot a few days ago.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #595
Glitter Guru

Do you really think you can make your own mats? It seems like it would be difficult. The mat has to feed perfectly or it gets caught up in the machine, so you would have to have the dimensions dead on. But more importantly, there are dots in a certain location at either end of the mats that I thought were there for the scanner to recognize so it knows when to stop and go the other way. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

If you manage to make one, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #596
Glitter Guru

I haven't tried yet, but will give it a whirl if I find the right material. My KNKs use something similar, so I don't think the plastic is proprietary.

I don't think a mistake would ruin the machine. I figure it'll either feed in properly or it won't go in at all. I'll definitely post here is I find something that works.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #597
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Hi SNCers

For those who might want to cut watercolor paper, I just used my ScanNCut to cut out images that I stamped on Tim Holtz's watercolor paper with a .04 border: excellent job. I used the 'test' cut multiple times until I got to these settings which worked on my machine: regular blade at 12; cut pressure at 2.

I used the standard cutting mat with 1" wide post-it tape to hold my paper to the mat and it worked great. I was just very careful to ensure that my tape was adhered completely to both the mat and the paper so that it did not 'catch' on any mechanism in the machine. I have been able to use the same pieces of tape multiple times and it's still working fine, so I'm hoping this will be a good solution to overcome the mat loosing it's 'sticky'. It's so fast and easy to use the tape and my paper did not budge one little bit.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 02-28-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #598
Glitter Guru

Wow, I was just today thinking about trying to cut WC paper. I have some Canson Arches 140 lb. hot press I want to use. This is very timely! Thank you! !
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #599
Embossing Fanatic

Now, if you knew someone else who had one and you could just go over and use it.... ![/QUOTE]

Now that's an idea ;0). Thank you for replying, I think I will play the "wait and see" game for now. I wonder how soon they will update this machine.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #600
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Did you cut the preloaded pattern and then stamp on it?
If you stamped, then cut it, can you share the steps to do this?

I would like to print an image on the page and have a scallop circle around it.
I did the direct cut then noticed the image was still there after cutting it out so I hit the back button and change the border. I went up from .04 to .08 which made a perfect size border for me. Then I went 'back' again and upped it to .12. This will only work if you are doing one image or maybe if you are matting all scanned images. That would be fun to try! I was only using the one image.
QueenOfInkland and RiverIsis like this post.