Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #481
Inking Addict

Does anyone know if I can still use the thumb drive that the update is on? Can it be used to save some of my scans or will having the update info on it botch things up?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #482
Glitter Guru

I haven't done the update yet. It's just a folder sitting on the drive, right?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #483
Inking Addict

I would think so RachelRose. But seeing I'm not all that informed I don't want to mess things up till I know for sure. I do know you had to have a empty thumb drive to download the update or it would mess things up.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #484
Glitter Guru

Having not done the update, and therefore not being able to experiment with putting other things on the drive alongside it, I'd say why not erase the drive just to be safe...

Or call Brother tomorrow and ask them. Their Customer Service people for the ScanNCut are very nice. !
Lilyzee likes this post.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #485
Glitter Guru

Or you could just drag the file to the trash. That would be easier. I don't know if erasing the drive would mean you have to reformat it before you used it again.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #486
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
The rep at Brother told me that spray starch or some sort of low tack fabric adhesive can be used on the mat if it loses it's stickiness.

I've seen several videos where people seemed to be using blue painter's tape to secure CS to the mat at the top.
I sprayed my mat with spray starch & it didn't work. My mat was not sticky at all.

I taped down the cardstock with washi tape, top & bottom, but because the mat wasn't sticky, the paper lifted a& got caught under the knife.

I sprayed the mat again with a heavier layer of spray starch and am letting it air dry. Hopefully that will make my may sticky again.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #487
Glitter Guru

I thought spray starch was a weird suggestion myself. But since I hadn't tried it, I didn't feel I could question the rep about it, I assumed he must know more than I did. Thank you for letting us know it doesn't work. Why is your mat not sticky any more? If you look in the manual, Brother refers to the mats as "consumable" items, so they don't expect them to last forever, but yours can't be very old.

I think these issues have got to be raised with Brother. Yes, we are here to support one another and share what we learn as we figure out this machine, but ultimately Brother has to be made aware of what the papercrafting community is experiencing. I'm sure they are getting feedback from the quilting community, to whom this machine has also been marketed. But fabric and cardstock are two very different materials.

I know a lot of people are not in the habit of calling Customer Service unless it's something dire. I happen to be someone who calls with every question that pops into my head. I figure that's what they are there for, and also that they need to hear my concerns.

Yeah, I'm up on a soapbox here. So I'll stop. But I'm going to be calling them (again) tomorrow. I had a bit of crooked-mat-loading trouble myself this morning. I got it to stop, but I want to know why it happened in the first place.

If you do call Brother about your trouble with the mat, Robin, please let us know what they say!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #488
Hardware Hotshot

I was playing with my machine again and have found that it is still cutting uneven mats around the images. I turned it off & back on and it is still doing that.

If I have time tomorrow, I might call their customer service to see if there is anything else I need to do. Then again, I have not downloaded the update because I don't have a blank thumdrive, so maybe that will take care of the uneven mats.

It cuts fine when it cuts along the image. But, there are a lot of times when it sees the image, but it doesn't show the cut lines around the entire image. Just bits and pieces of the image.

I am beginning to think about sending it back.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #489
Glitter Guru

I don't have the update downloaded either. I'd be surprised if the update had anything to do with uneven cutting. I think it has to do with setting scan areas in the Canvas program.

You may not be showing an outline because of the particular stamp. I experienced that "bits and pieces" thing when I tried to scan stamps that didn't have a clean enough outlines. I think my expectations were unrealistic in some cases. Some stamps that almost had a clean outline I was able to use by closing the small gaps with a pencil line, which I then erased.

Call them! Raise all your concerns. This should not be happening to you. It's their problem, not yours. See what they have to say. Even if you send it back, it would be good for them to hear why you were not satisfied. How can they know what they need to improve otherwise?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #490
Polyshrink Goddess

I was going to suggest washi tape but then some of it tore while going through the rollars and stuck to the rollar and it was a bear using a straight pin to get it off. I think I will try repositional glue stick as I've used it on my Cricut mats successfully.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #491
Crimping Master

Here's my test cuts.

First one was an accidental cut. I was cutting something for my daughter's school. Machine saw these letters and cut them also, with the border I specified. That's why they look funky. I was impressed because it did exactly what it was told. And the letters really were not that big. I had to use a tweezer to move those letters back together.

2nd was monkey from SU's Zoo Babies set. I forgot to set the border, so it cut exactly. Since the monkey is small, again, I'm pretty impressed at how well it cut. Certainly better than me and scissors.

3rd was the SU's Regarding Dahlia flower. Again, forgot to set border, and it looks terrific to me.

4th is from the Starburst Sayings set. I just wanted to make sure it could cut all those jagged edges, and it did.

5th one finally, I remembered to set a border of 0.04". Looks perfect enough to me.

So I think I might have gotten lucky and got a good machine that doesn't need calibration?
Attached Thumbnails
2014-02-09_0001.jpg   2014-02-09_0002.jpg   2014-02-09_0003.jpg   2014-02-09_0004.jpg   2014-02-09_0005.jpg  

Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #492
Stazon Splitcoast

The thing you cut look great lovemycards! I should see if I have any to photo and put here.
Blessings.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #493
Stazon Splitcoast

I forgot to say. I have not seen any dust covers offered for these machines but the Silhouette Cameo covers fit them perfectly.
Blessings
Lilyzee likes this post.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #494
Mad Swapper

Well, the SnC has finally become available in New Zealand. I have taken the plunge and ordered one, due in about a week..... that's a long time to wait But at least (or at last) I can now get one
sprtchick and jeenny2010 like this post.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #495
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I don't have the update downloaded either. I'd be surprised if the update had anything to do with uneven cutting. I think it has to do with setting scan areas in the Canvas program.

You may not be showing an outline because of the particular stamp. I experienced that "bits and pieces" thing when I tried to scan stamps that didn't have a clean enough outlines. I think my expectations were unrealistic in some cases. Some stamps that almost had a clean outline I was able to use by closing the small gaps with a pencil line, which I then erased.

Call them! Raise all your concerns. This should not be happening to you. It's their problem, not yours. See what they have to say. Even if you send it back, it would be good for them to hear why you were not satisfied. How can they know what they need to improve otherwise?
I stamped an outline image and drew lines on a leaf stem to connect it to the image. I then snipped off a couple of parts of the image that weren't connected. And I colored the image. After scanning it at least three times, the machine still only wanted to cut "bits and pieces" of the image.

I hope to have some time today to call Brother and see what they say.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #496
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyzee View Post
I'm already having problems. The mat won't load. I looked in the problem section and it said to clean the dots on the mat or try a new mat. The new mat won't load either. So after an afternoon of getting just a few perfect cuts and a bunch of wonky cuts I'm think of returning it.
When I watched some of the video tutorials, they advised to hold the mat up so it is level with the machine when first loading. It apparently helps because there is no "drag" as the machine tries to pull the mat in.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #497
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
When I watched some of the video tutorials, they advised to hold the mat up so it is level with the machine when first loading. It apparently helps because there is no "drag" as the machine tries to pull the mat in.
Diane---I later found out there was a bit of paper jammed in the back. I was able to remove it (carefully) with a knife. It was the only thing thin enough to slide under the paper. It's been working well ever since.
Some stamps will scan better if I use a different ink. I think my Memento Tuxedo Black is not dark enough. I know Gina K has a darker black. I may try that.
sprtchick and dillyb5 like this post.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #498
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP111 View Post
I was playing with my machine again and have found that it is still cutting uneven mats around the images. I turned it off & back on and it is still doing that.

If I have time tomorrow, I might call their customer service to see if there is anything else I need to do. Then again, I have not downloaded the update because I don't have a blank thumdrive, so maybe that will take care of the uneven mats.

It cuts fine when it cuts along the image. But, there are a lot of times when it sees the image, but it doesn't show the cut lines around the entire image. Just bits and pieces of the image.

I am beginning to think about sending it back.
Liz Hicks posted to FB and the Yahoo group that if you have margin issues you should take it to the nearest Brother authorized location for them to adjust it. Click on support on the Brother web page for the location near you.

Martha
Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #499
Glitter Guru

Default Care of mats - the correct info

Okay - here is the latest info I have from Brother on care of the mats. The info I was given by the last rep was apparently incorrect:

Brother's policy on the mats is that you should wipe them off with a baby wipe after use, let them throughly dry and replace the protective cover sheet. They do not advocate the use of any sprays or glues of any kind on the mats. The rep told me that of course she knew there were plenty of DYI techniques out there to re-sticky a mat, and that people will use those techniques, but that Brother does not endorse any of them nor should any rep have suggested anything be applied to a mat that had lost its stickiness.

I told her that I knew of at least one person who had tried the spray starch suggestion based on my posting of what the last rep said to me, which had ruined her mat. And that I felt terrible about this personally, and that Brother ought to feel some urgent need to get all their reps on the same page ASAP. I told her I was now obliged to post the correct info and that my post was going to certainly turn some people off who were either considering this machine or had just bought it and were deciding whether to keep it because this community values good, reliable customer service above almost everything else. No one expects every product to be perfect, but will the company make it right when things go wrong? When you call them will they be there with reliable, helpful answers? That's what people want to know.

The rep reiterated to me that people who have problems should call Brother, because otherwise Brother isn't getting feedback that it needs. I said I had been encouraging this, but saying it at the end of a post that was an apology for incorrect customer service info, well, how motivated are people going to be to call after reading my post?

So there you have it. I personally love this machine. I have not had a trouble-free experience, either, but I didn't expect to. Hopefully the rep I spoke to will report this negative support event to a supervisor (she said she was going to), and everyone will get on the same page.
sprtchick, dillyb5 and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #500
Polyshrink Goddess

Why don't they just come out with a repositional glue stick and call it a day. It works great. Be sure and let it dry thoroughly. There is nothing as irritating as an un sticky mat when you are in the zone,lol.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #501
Gallery Gazer

RachelRose, thanks for the updated information! I thought it sound a little funny that they would say it was okay to put anything on the mat. Usually messing with them voids any warranty. And sprays, IMO, are just terrible, but it might be that I just have had bad experiences with them.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #502
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2color View Post
Why don't they just come out with a repositional glue stick and call it a day. ...
There is one by Elmer's. I use it on my Zing mat and it works pretty good.

http://www.elmers.com/product/detail...ositionable%2f
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #503
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
There is one by Elmer's. I use it on my Zing mat and it works pretty good.

http://www.elmers.com/product/detail...ositionable%2f
That's the one I used today. I do like it! What I meant was....if the die cutter companies would just market a glue stick and not pretend that their mats stay sticky,it would be so much better. Who wants to buy a new mat at those prices?
I had fun today....started learning canvas program. I like scanning something into the machine and putting it on the USB and sending it to the canvas and making it smaller....lots of possibilities. I know the new Cricut is coming out this week and I am not even tempted.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #504
Glitter Guru

Do you need to bring it into the Canvas program to change the size? Can't you do that in the machine with your own files? I haven't gone from the machine to Canvas yet, just scanned in my own files and tried to play with them in the machine. With varying results. I only just got the right type of thumb drive, so now I can go from Illustrator into Canvas and then into the machine. But working with the native features in the machine is still not completely clear to me. Need more time with the manual.

I think the glue stick idea is perfect. You just reapply as needed!

(But I also think the idea is to sell mats. !)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-10-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #505
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2color View Post
That's the one I used today. I do like it! What I meant was....if the die cutter companies would just market a glue stick and not pretend that their mats stay sticky,it would be so much better. Who wants to buy a new mat at those prices?
I had fun today....started learning canvas program. I like scanning something into the machine and putting it on the USB and sending it to the canvas and making it smaller....lots of possibilities. I know the new Cricut is coming out this week and I am not even tempted.
Ahh I see now. I know what you mean, but unfortunately that's where they make their money - on the consumables and they consider the mats consumables. I'm a cheapskate, so I always resticky my mats. I have the original mat that I got with my CraftRobo (2006) and still use it - just clean it up with some non-acetone nail polish remover and then put on a new layer of whatever repo glue I have available. Works like a charm... I just re-stickied my Zing mat with watered down Aileen's TIO&O (couldn't find my glue stick). It was a little messy, but it works great.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #506
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Do you need to bring it into the Canvas program to change the size? Can't you do that in the machine with your own files? I haven't gone from the machine to Canvas yet, just scanned in my own files and tried to play with them in the machine. With varying results. I only just got the right type of thumb drive, so now I can go from Illustrator into Canvas and then into the machine. But working with the native features in the machine is still not completely clear to me. Need more time with the manual.

I couldn't figure out how to resize my scans in the machine. Maybe there is a way though and I just can't figure it out. So far haven't spent much time in the manual. And I agree...they want to sell mats....
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #507
Stazon Splitcoast

I might be wrong but I am thinking you can resize the preloaded shapes and letters but not the ones you scan. Tell me someone if I am wrong. Oh and you can use canvas on line now huh? I will start looking at that soon.
Blessings.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #508
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
I might be wrong but I am thinking you can resize the preloaded shapes and letters but not the ones you scan. Tell me someone if I am wrong. Oh and you can use canvas on line now huh? I will start looking at that soon.
Blessings.
I'm pretty sure you are correct, Amber.

I tried to re-size something I had scanned but was unable to do so.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #509
Stazon Splitcoast

What is the right type of thumb drive? LM

Quote:
Do you need to bring it into the Canvas program to change the size? Can't you do that in the machine with your own files? I haven't gone from the machine to Canvas yet, just scanned in my own files and tried to play with them in the machine. With varying results. I only just got the right type of thumb drive , so now I can go from Illustrator into Canvas and then into the machine. But working with the native features in the machine is still not completely clear to me. Need more time with the manual.

If you would like to see my cards, please click here

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #510
Stazon Splitcoast

That's too bad...I want to resize my stamped images to make mats for them. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP111 View Post
I'm pretty sure you are correct, Amber.

I tried to re-size something I had scanned but was unable to do so.

If you would like to see my cards, please click here

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #511
Glitter Guru

LMstamps, here is a link to the list of drives that will and won't work. Look carefully at the column with the checks and X's to see whether yours will work. I had a Sandisk Cruzer which the machine did not recognize and on the list, sure enough it has an X next to it. I bought a Sandisk Edge instead. When you open the link, click on Download and it will open as a PDF file which you can then print or just look at on screen (although you'll probably have to zoom in to see it clearly):

Brother Solutions Center: CM100DM: Manuals: United States

I am waiting for a call back regarding another issue, and will ask about whether saved data can be resized when saved to the machine.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-11-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #512
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
That's too bad...I want to resize my stamped images to make mats for them. LM
Can't you just add an allowance border around the image to get the mat?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #513
Glitter Guru

You are supposed to be able to resize your saved data. That's what the rep who escalated my case to a supervisor said.

The supervisor who is supposed to call me is not in today, so I won't be able to talk to her until tomorrow or Thursday.

In the meantime, has anyone scanned in a punched-out shape? I took an SU flower punch - it's the one that goes with the Posey Punch set, so it's a good size - and tried scanning it in. Oh, I'll just show you:

testscanb.jpg

I thought I got an outline, but then when I brought up the saved data it didn't cut all the way around. It kept leaving out three places where the petals joined each other. Not that it didn't cut all the way through, there was nothing, it just skipped those spots. I tried saving it using the outline, line and region options, same problem. No luck. That's why I called Brother and the rep took me through the process while we were on the phone, and then said it seemed I was doing everything right, but she was going to get the supervisor (who was the person who trained everyone on the machine) to call me. Nothing to do but wait.

BUT... then I tried something, out of curiosity - I took the negative of the punch and carefully traced inside it on a piece of white paper. Then I scanned in that (so now it was the same shape in line art form) and saved it as an outline. I was able to bring it up again and it cut perfectly. I also resized it very easily.

Does this mean you can't scan in a solid shape? Makes no sense. In one of the videos the gal was gleeful about having done this and could now cut her punched shaped any size she wanted.

Maybe someone has successfully done this, or had the same problem. ???
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #514
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
Blessings.
You can resize anything - including the ones you scan.

Martha
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #515
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha J View Post
You can resize anything - including the ones you scan.

Martha
How do you resize scanned images?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #516
Embossing Fanatic

Save it, then select it from your saved files. Then you can resize it just like any other file.

Martha
dillyb5 likes this post.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #517
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha J View Post
Save it, then select it from your saved files. Then you can resize it just like any other file.

Martha
Ahh HA! I'm pretty sure that I did not save the image before I tried to resize it.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #518
Hardware Hotshot

Another question ... is there a good free program out there similar to Illustrator where I can make .SVG files? Or is this a case of "Free" =/= "Good?"

I would like to type some sentiments, save as SVG, convert to FCM in Canvas, and then save them in my machine.

FLMommyof2 likes this post.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #519
Hardware Hotshot

I am probably doing something wrong with Inkscape. (End User Error) I saved the image as inkscape svg and plain svg but the Canvas program won't import them.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #520
Glitter Guru

What is it an image of? Did you draw it in Inkscape or get it in there some other way?