Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #441
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
Lilyzee - can you post a link to the video of that acetate overlay trick?

I have some stamps that I wanted to use with the Scan N Cut but they don't have solid enough outlines.
Found this one:
Direct Cut Overlay Instructional Video with Liz Hicks - YouTube
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #442
Gallery Gazer

Thanks so much Rachelrose! I guess sometimes we just want the machine to draw, cut, heck how about color, using highlights, and while your at it machine, how about you just scrapbook my past 5 years of childrens events! Now that would be a machine! LOL!

I'm probably going to get it, even though, it will be the most expensive machine I've ever bought. E2 - $350 which you can get now for about $165. Ouch, that hurts!

Last edited by Hiding in My Craft Room; 02-04-2014 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: spelling!
RiverIsis and lovemycards like this post.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #443
Glitter Guru

Diane, the stamps I wanted to use with it, well, it was delusional to think they would work:

https://www.papertreyink.com/stamps/...ery-stamp-set/

I thought I could scan and cut around those feathers. Duh, no. And by the time I do a good acetate tracing, I may as well cut them out by hand.

Or do what I did, which was go back and buy the dies. No, I don't expect this machine to make all my dies obsolete by any means. Which is fine.

But that acetate technique, I have some other stamps that I am going to try it with.

I do think it was expensive. And I fully expect it to either 1) come down in price to the point where I will be annoyed or 2) be upgraded to a newer model that will do everything on Laurie's list, plus fold the laundry.

What can you do? The heart wants what the heart wants, as they say...

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-04-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #444
Inking Addict

Someone else suggested using the printed acetate that comes with most of the clear stamps to scan. If only I had saved them. I have all my clear stamps in cd cases and threw away the printed acetate they came on. I knew I would regret throwing them out!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #445
Stampin' Fool

I haven't tried my machine out yet but have been watching tutorials.

I agree it is an expensive machine but I think it depends how useful it will be for each person. Some people have been doing fussy cutting for a while and have it down to a science. For that person, it would probably not make sense to buy it for that feature.

I have never bothered with the fussy cutting but will now be able to cut some of my neglected stamps out for cards.
I also do crafts fairs at xmas and do lots of multiples for tags or cards or embellishments. I think this will save me a lot of time and also save my wrists, which get quite achy from the cutting and punching and die cutting.

For me, I think the machine will be valuable.
I am not deterred by poor experiences. Many machines have been sold and there will be problems, especially with the first generation.
sprtchick and QueenOfInkland like this post.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #446
Gallery Gazer

I agree Diane! And if you've seen my hand cut outs then this machine is CHEAP! LOL!!

I have my Cricut machines which I still love. Other people have had issues with their machines, customer service, what have you but I have had excellent experiences with my Cricut.
I'm so almost about to get this! Not to replace any machine I have but to do something completely different. I watched the informercial and I have to say it bothers me that when a company comes up with a great machine they think the only way they can sell it it to somehow make it the only machine you will ever need! Not true! But other than that I was salivating watching it! HEEHEE!!!
sprtchick and dillyb5 like this post.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #447
Inking Addict

Got my notice from Amazon that my order has shipped. I should have it Saturday! I hope it's here when I get home from work on Saturday. That will give me Sunday and Monday to play with it. I'm excited to be getting a new toy. Feeling a bit guilty about the money, but not much
I'm like DianeCraft and do a craft fair in November. I'm hoping this will be a bit of a time saver for making some of my cards. And do a much better job of cutting than I can ever do by hand.
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #448
Glitter Guru

Soooo....I did an exchange with Amazon last night. Easy peazy...I love Amazon Prime!! My new machine will be here tomorrow (wed) I'm sooooo looking forward to a good machine!! Just have to print out my shipping tag and off goes the wonky one! I'll update on the new machine....crossing fingers for good accurate cuts
Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #449
Glitter Guru

Default CutNCanvas: some things I learned

I was on the phone with Brother this morning because I had some questions about using the online CutNCanvas Program.

My big problem was that I'd transferred an .svg file from Illlustrator into CutNCanvas, saved it as a project in FMC format and them put it on a thumb drive - which my ScanNCut then refused to recognize. Turns out that the machine will not recognize every thumb drive, and it so happened the one I had was one of the ones it won't recognize (I think it was too old a model). The rep sent me a link, just in case you are interested:

Brother Solutions Center: CM100DM: Manuals: United States

Have not used the Canvas program much yet, so can't say too much more about it. I think a lot of you are primarily interested in the Direct Cut feature, but I thought I'd post this for anyone who did want to transfer files. Or update the machine. There is an update, as someone else posted earlier, and you need a thumb drive to use it.

Ordered a compatible thumb drive, hoping it fixes this issue. So far Brother support has been fine. That's always a plus.
sprtchick, dillyb5 and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #450
Stazon Splitcoast

Can someone please help me with what post# on this thread had a gal showing how to use the machine for basic scan and cutting? I started watching it yesterday, but it stopped in the middle...I wanted to try it again today and can't find it. TIA! LM

If you would like to see my cards, please click here

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #451
Glitter Guru

If it was the CraftTest Dummies one:

Brother Scan N Cut part 1: paper scanning/cutting - YouTube

If it was PapreCrafters Corner one:

PaperCrafter's Corner Presents: Product Review - Brother ScanNCut (Pt. 1) - YouTube

If it was another one - well, I have a lot of them bookmarked, so describe it and I'll see if I have it.

You might also be able to look in your browser's History for yesterday. I've found "lost" stuff that way a lot.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #452
Inking Addict

RachelRose...Thanks for the info on the thumb drive. I had heard that not all were compatible and I didn't want to pick one up until I knew which one would work.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #453
Crimping Master

Just got my shipping notice that it'll be here on Saturday! Saturday delivery?!! I'd better clear my calendar! Can't wait!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #454
Gallery Gazer

I just couldn't resist! A lot of sponsors for my blog challenges have digital images and this is going to make it so much easier to work with them! Plus, I hate to handcut! Mine should be here by Friday!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #455
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine came today! I've been busy playing. There is so much to try and to do.Getting to know my new machine should keep me busy for days. So far,so good! Tons of user error but lots that just worked perfectly too.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #456
Gallery Gazer

Mine came today buuuuut I have a couple of sick kids which means I won't have too much time to play!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #457
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks so much. Those were really helpful. I did finally find the one I was looking for which focuses on stamp images:

New Toy I got today...watch if you hate to fussy cut or spend $$$ on coordinating dies for stamps - YouTube

This video has made me seriously consider getting this again.

Now I want to find one that shows how to make mats for stamped images.

LM

Quote:
If it was the CraftTest Dummies one:

Brother Scan N Cut part 1: paper scanning/cutting - YouTube

If it was PapreCrafters Corner one:

PaperCrafter's Corner Presents: Product Review - Brother ScanNCut (Pt. 1) - YouTube

If it was another one - well, I have a lot of them bookmarked, so describe it and I'll see if I have it.

You might also be able to look in your browser's History for yesterday. I've found "lost" stuff that way a lot.

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #458
Inking Addict

I found watching all the You.Tube and Brother tutorials very helpful before starting my new machine. Pretty much wore out the first mat, but have a lot of what not to do now. Put everything on the mat in front of you at the bottom and then turn the mat and install. Otherwise you get lint on the mat from your sleeves and lose the sticky on the mat.
Candy
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #459
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
Thanks so much. Those were really helpful.
Now I want to find one that shows how to make mats for stamped images.
LM
For making a mat, you could scan in the original cut made from a rubber stamp and put an outline on that scan. Then, you would get a mat for the image.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #460
Glitter Guru

The rep at Brother told me that spray starch or some sort of low tack fabric adhesive can be used on the mat if it loses it's stickiness.

I've seen several videos where people seemed to be using blue painter's tape to secure CS to the mat at the top.

I asked what I could use to clean the CS lint off the mat and was told to use baby wipes. It works, but I try to do it gently so I won't take off the tackiness.

But I think that ultimately I am going to assume the mat will have to be replaced every so often. They run $17.99 on Amazon. I am probably going to buy the scanning mat as well for just scanning things to cut data, so that I don't use the tacky mat for everything.

I wonder how these mats compare in durability to, say, Cricut mats. Maybe someone can say. Just wondering - do you have to replace Cricut mats every so often?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #461
Stazon Splitcoast

If you don't damage the integrity of the mat there shouldn't be any reason not to resticky it forever. I wonder if other mats would give too much visual noise in scanning.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #462
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
The rep at Brother told me that spray starch or some sort of low tack fabric adhesive can be used on the mat if it loses it's stickiness.

I've seen several videos where people seemed to be using blue painter's tape to secure CS to the mat at the top.

I asked what I could use to clean the CS lint off the mat and was told to use baby wipes. It works, but I try to do it gently so I won't take off the tackiness.

But I think that ultimately I am going to assume the mat will have to be replaced every so often. They run $17.99 on Amazon. I am probably going to buy the scanning mat as well for just scanning things to cut data, so that I don't use the tacky mat for everything.

I wonder how these mats compare in durability to, say, Cricut mats. Maybe someone can say. Just wondering - do you have to replace Cricut mats every so often?
I pretty much never have to replace my Cricut mats. I clean them and then resticky them.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #463
Glitter Guru

What do you use to re-sticky them, Laurie?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #464
Inking Addict

Default Sticky Mat

[QUOTE=Rachelrose;20518676]The rep at Brother told me that spray starch or some sort of low tack fabric adhesive can be used on the mat if it loses it's stickiness.

JoAnn's carry the sticky spray for fabric that quilters use. There are several different brands. I haven't tried it as yet.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #465
Gallery Gazer

Here's what I use on my cricut mats: Making Mats Sticky again!

I plan on testing this method on the Brother mats as well but I'm not sure because of the scanning. It might not work as well or as long but I was thinking I could just use white paper to cover up any debris or other marks that might show up on a scan.

I think after reading reviews and hearing about the lack of sticky on these mats I will probably start off applying a thin layer to begin with.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #466
Stazon Splitcoast

In one of the YouTubes I watched, she sprayed her mat with a Martha Stewart Adhesive Spray. LM

Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #467
Inking Addict

Mine came today. I got to play a little tonight. My mat loads in crooked if I'm not careful. It's interesting as to which stamps will cut for me and which won't. The ones that do scan well cut perfectly. Over the weekend I'll have more time to experiment. I need to get a flash drive and do the update. I guess I'm a bit underwhelmed at this point, but I think with a bit of time and a chance to go over all it can do I'll be happy with it fancy cutting for me.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #468
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the Scotch brand spray for temporary hold. A huge can with a coupon at Michaels was $7.00. I can use it for Cameo and scan and cut mays.
Blessings.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #469
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I tried to buy a scanning mat when I ordered my machine but I didn't see it listed on Amazon. Any idea where to get one?
They should have included one with the machine.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #470
Glitter Guru

You're right, they don't have them on Amazon. I found them at this website:

Brother Scan N Cut Scanning Mat 12"x12" for CM550DX at Ken's Sewing Center

I checked with Brother and they are an authorized dealer. The rep recognized the name right away.

I think they only include it with the blue machine, as part of the added bundle.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-08-2014 at 04:43 AM..
Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #471
Stazon Splitcoast

What is the difference between the mat that comes with the red machine and this scanning mat? LM

Quote:
You're right, they don't have them on Amazon. I found them at this website:

Brother Scan N Cut Scanning Mat 12"x12" for CM550DX at Ken's Sewing Center

I checked with Brother and they are an authorized dealer. The rep recognized the name right away.

I think they only include it with the blue machine, as part of the added bundle.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #472
Glitter Guru

The scanning mat has no adhesive, it's non-sticky and has a clear overlay to hold the paper in place. I asked the rep why this mat would be used instead of one of the sticky mats, and he said that if someone was scanning in something on that was on thin or fragile paper, they could use it and not risk tearing the paper when they removed it. I guess that makes sense, but I immediately thought of being able to use it for anything I was using for scan-to-cut data, stuff I was scanning in to save. Would save wear and tear on the sticky mats.

I figured I'd get one and try it out.

Lilyzee, it is a little overwhelming learning a new machine, but concentrate on learning to do what you personally want to be able to do. If fussy cutting is it, then you should be up and running pretty quickly. I wouldn't worry about the mats loading crooked unless you can't get them to load straight or they load crooked even when you are taking care how you line them up. If I don't put mine flush up against where they should be and hold on to the other end and raise it up a bit so the machine doesn't have to drag the mat in, they will load crooked sometimes.

I will say this regarding Brother customer service - so far they have been very nice and answered my questions promptly and thoroughly. (And I have called them four or five times since I got my machine with one "how-to" or "why" question or another.) But I do get the sense that they are not used to dealing with papercrafters. I think we are a new demographic for them. I could be wrong, but looking at the other products that they already sell, that's my impression. Maybe a learning curve on both sides.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-08-2014 at 11:34 AM..
RiverIsis and Lilyzee like this post.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #473
Inking Addict

Okay, now I have a dumb question. I'm not the greatest technical person.
I did the update. (with a little fear and hesitation) Can that flash drive be used for other stuff now that the update is on it? Can it be wiped clean and used to save some of my images?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #474
Inking Addict

Default Cost of New Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
I pretty much never have to replace my Cricut mats. I clean them and then resticky them.
If you go to a Sewing & Vacuum place like (Quality Sewing & Vacuum) State of Washington. They sell Brother machines and sell the mats for $15.99.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #475
Inking Addict

I wonder if I can use a little Aileene's Tack it Over and Over on the mat? That's what I use on the glass mat for my Slice cutter.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #476
Inking Addict

Default The scanning mat has no adhesive

[QUOTE=Rachelrose;20519860]I asked the rep why this mat would be used instead of one of the sticky mats, and he said that if someone was scanning in something on that was on thin or fragile paper, they could use it and not risk tearing the paper when they removed it.

If you have a favorite mat, etc. spellbinder shape you use alot, you can cut one out in a dark color and scan it and save it. That way you can cut a full page of just that shape in a color you use most often.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #477
Inking Addict

I'm already having problems. The mat won't load. I looked in the problem section and it said to clean the dots on the mat or try a new mat. The new mat won't load either. So after an afternoon of getting just a few perfect cuts and a bunch of wonky cuts I'm think of returning it.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #478
Crimping Master

Got my machine this afternoon. Made a home for it, set it up, did first cut. My first impression is that I am VERY impressed with this machine. It cut some really small writings really really well. I'm too tired to play more tonight. Hope to do bunch of different kinds of test cuts tomorrow.
Cinnistew likes this post.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #479
Inking Addict

Played around a bit more. There was a bit of paper jammed in the back that kept the mat from loading. So I'm good to go again. I need to look at the booklet that came with it and see what all it can do. Using it to fussy cut is awesome but I'm sure I'll use it for more than that once I get the hang of it.
dillyb5 and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #480
Glitter Guru

Lilyzee, are you thinking of returning and giving up or returning and exchanging? If it's a matter of feeling too overwhelmed to deal with any problems, why don't you call Brother and talk to them? Sounds like you just need to exchange the machine, there's something wrong with it. Unless you just don't think you'll use the machine, working or not.

Oh, I see I missed your last post somehow. Glad things are sorted! Yes, I'm going through the book myself, trying all the features (except for the fabric ones).

lovemycards - I'd love to see examples of your text cuts. I'm playing with that myself.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-09-2014 at 04:37 AM..