Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Cool Black Inks - Hero Arts and MFt

I know, I know. We've discussed black inks over and over. But w/the new(ish) intro by MFT of their extreme black, I have to ask. Does anyone have an opinion/comparison between the Hero Arts intense black ink and the MFT extreme black ink?

By reading descriptions and seeing them both used, they seem similar (dare I say "identical?"). They are both reportedly good for copics, dark black, quick-drying, etc.. Even the names are similar.

Are they different or just about the same thing? Can an non-expert tell the difference?

I've been using (& liking) the HA product, but I now have the MFT one on hand. Any rush to open the new one, or just wait till the other dries out?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #2
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

They're both made by the same manufacturer (Stewart Superior), and they're both hybrid ink - I'd venture to say that they're the same. My black ink pad from Impression Obsession (hybrid ink, same manufacturer) says "most intense" on the bottom.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Just to toss another black into the mix, the new Versafine Clair black is pretty amazing. : )

And as others have posted, if you want to heat emboss it, it's embossable for many minutes, even when it feel dry.

Always happy to talk black ink!

Last edited by bjeans; 04-07-2018 at 01:00 AM..
pepperann likes this post.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:28 AM   #4
Glitter Queen

Versafine Claire is wonderful. It depends what you are using it for. I haven’t been in these discussions but I have a question. I always used Memento for Copic coloring. I tried MFT and Hero Arts, meh. I avoided SSS because I have a issue with their prices and shipping. However, I gave in and ordered a pad of their intense black for that purpose. I will tell you that it’s really great. I don’t know who the manufacturer is but it has a different smell then all the others. Definitely lives up to its reputation.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Thought I'd gotten on here before now. Thx for the info, esp you, Dini. Good to know about HA and MFT (just what I was after, actually). Should try out IO's ink. Don't have any, but Mitra usually makes good products. As far as SSS, I'm a regular of theirs, but a reluctant regular. They can be prickly to work with (and pricey); I didn't realize till recently they charge more than other brands (at least some) than that brand does on its own site (hope that made sense - trying to share info w/o putting too fine a point on it).

How different is the Versafine Claire from the Versafine onyx black? So many of us have been using the latter for years and like it just fine. From description, it sounds pretty much the same.

Last edited by binx; 04-08-2018 at 02:01 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 04:04 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

I'll have to look at them side by side again since it's been a while, but my recollection is that Clair's black was the barest bit darker with a slightly cooler undertone.

ETA: I stamped solid, thin line and thicker line images, and think Clair is minimally darker/richer but only in some lights and you have to look for it.

IOW, if two cards each had a sentiment on the front, one stamped with regular Versafine and one with V. Clair, I don't think the average bear would notice.

If you were heat embossing (with clear EP), however, the advantage of Clair is you could emboss many minutes after stamping, even when Clair felt dry to the touch.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-08-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I'll have to look at them side by side again since it's been a while, but my recollection is that Clair's black was the barest bit darker with a slightly cooler undertone.

ETA: I stamped solid, thin line and thicker line images, and think Clair is minimally darker/richer but only in some lights and you have to look for it.

IOW, if two cards each had a sentiment on the front, one stamped with regular Versafine and one with V. Clair, I don't think the average bear would notice.

If you were heat embossing (with clear EP), however, the advantage of Clair is you could emboss many minutes after stamping, even when Clair felt dry to the touch.

Good info, thx bjeans. Especially glad to know that about being able to emboss after the ink has dried. That's a new feature to me. Is it smear-proof at that point?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
Good info, thx bjeans. Especially glad to know that about being able to emboss after the ink has dried. That's a new feature to me. Is it smear-proof at that point?

It feels dry but I haven't tried to smear it. I will later. I also keep meaning to time how long one can wait to emboss before it won't work. Yesterday I stamped a sentiment, went on line to check something for a few minutes, then embossed. Crazy.