Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Friday disappointment

I just found out that my hubby tried to get me a Cricut from JoAnn's on Black Friday. Of course they were sold out. I was so surprised and very disappointed.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joann's was definitely bait and switch this year...I am really disappointed in them.

Saturday I get there at 6:45 to get a Cricut cart that I knew they had in stock. Doors open and the cartridges were on a 4 ft table in tubs and women came in and just picked up a tub and walked off. Turns out they had only put out older cartridges and basically only 10 people got any. Women were buying 12 to 15 and not even looking at what they bought. The only had about 70 total.

So I go to the restroom and it is right by the stock room and guess what was stacked up high back there?? Yep--all the machine and cartridges. It was a buzz kill for sure.

Also, their website conveniently crashed on Thursday and was still down Saturday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Isn't that illegal? or something if not ethically wrong. And the website is still down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

My mom also tried to get a few cartridges and she said they were also older ones that she already had. I went to two stores to get something else (an easel) and both stores said they didn't get a shipment of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went saturday and you had to take the ticket up front for the cart you wanted. When I got there they said the last one was sold yesterday. Then why not TAKE THE TICKET DOWN? I was going to buy 2 carts but left with none. I came home and ordered them online from someone else for the same amount even with shipping. Joanns really did this weekend badly IMO. When I checked their website today it was still down. Makes you wonder how much in sales they lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I had to go to JoAnn's on Saturday to get daughter's sewing class supplies. I didn't see any good scrapping or stamping supplies on sale, just tons of Christmas stuff and some fabric/yarn sales. Very disappointing. I got to use a 50% off coupon on her fabric so it was worth the long line but I won't be going back for scrap stuff, for sure.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to let you gals know that Joann.com was back up just a moment ago and there were Cricut cartridges available for $28.88 (after you add the cartridge to your cart) with free shipping over $25 if you use code JOANNSHIP25. A few were sold out, but if they haven't totally burned their bridge with you this does seem like a good deal.

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 85 Likes on 34 Posts

We drove to a Joanns that was about 40 minutes away bc we called and asked for specific carts and they said they had multiples. We got there, and they had about 12 random old cartridges. NOT happy. I asked for the person who told me he had multiples of the specific ones I asked for and he said well, we do have cartridges left so I thought you'd be happy if you came out. Ummm, yeah, that's the way to earn ongoing business. It actually was pretty funny, in a non-funny way. My husband said, "you have GOT to be kidding me" and the Joanns guy looked like he regretted his little bait and switch, but the fact is, we were stupid enough to believe what we were told over the phone. We were NOT stupid enough to buy anything and if anyone from Joanns is reading, please note that I will remember this shopping experience when deciding where to spend my craft dollars in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah Jo's was bad this Sat. I got there about 7-7:05 AM just after the doors opened. They didn't seem to have tons of new carts for the Cricut, and they only had the little tickets on a small pegboard. Of course there were women that wouldn't move at the front of the pegboard so you couldn't see half the stuff on there. There were ladies just calling out, do you want this? do you want that? I don't understand why they just didn't move. It was silly. And then we had to bring the tickets to the cashier line with us to get the carts in our hands. It was taking a really long time. They were not well organized. I only bought one cart but did score some good deals on an extra cutting mat, spatula, and extra blades. I really liked the way Michaels did their carts sale, very easy to get to and they had all the new carts and LOTS of them in stock. My experiences at Walmart were pretty dismal but luckily I got my Expression online at 3 AM Fri.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Default Confused..

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitabestampinView Post
Just wanted to let you gals know that Joann.com was back up just a moment ago and there were Cricut cartridges available for $28.88 (after you add the cartridge to your cart) with free shipping over $25 if you use code JOANNSHIP25. A few were sold out, but if they haven't totally burned their bridge with you this does seem like a good deal.
I'm on their website now and not seeing any Cricut cart for less than $39.99 yet... then again haven't looked at every one of them yet as their site is really slow right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

OK, most of the carts are 39.99. The ones that are 28.88 are:
Sweethearts
Everyday Paper Dolls
From My Kitchen
Winter Wonderland
Word Party
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Walmart was great for black Friday, all their deals, even the doorbusters were on line. And they started them about 3:33 my time, and an hour later there were still cricut expressions of every color available. I tried to call my SIL, as I knew she wanted one, but I thought she might be in line already, unfortunately she didn't pick up, she was sleeping. They had cartridges too, not sure how many but they were around 30.00.
I was able to get a 32 inch LCD TV for 246 with 97 cent shipping. Not to mention a 25 dollar shop vac, 7.00 boots and several other small things. And the TV shipped Saturday! I was beyond thrilled not to have to go out in those crowds!
For those still looking for cartridges cheap, I always get mine on ebay and have only paid over 30.00 twice, and that was for ones I really wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rkView Post
OK, most of the carts are 39.99. The ones that are 28.88 are:
Sweethearts
Everyday Paper Dolls
From My Kitchen
Winter Wonderland
Word Party
I was also able to purchase Hello Kitty and Hannah Montana for $28.88. Even though they were listed at a higher price on the page, they showed up as $28.88 once they were added to the cart. Their website is soooo slow though.

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my handy little Joann's ad and went to Michaels and had them price match.
Thank goodness they did. I got the 4 I've been wanting for $28.88.
I also went to Joann's Saturday morning, they only had 1 that I wanted and didn't know at the time about the price matching thing.
Also cricut.com has a special going on and www.cricutmachine.com has great prices on their carts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I went to Walmart on Friday and picked up the Cricut Expression for $188!! Better than JoAnn's price of $249!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought several of the new Cricut cartridges for gifts directly from Cricut.com and they were under 30.00. That was about a week ago and I got them on Wed. It was a great sale and very fast mailing. I haven't checked lately and it still may be going on - but maybe not at those low prices. I am on their mailing list so I ordered the day I got the message about their sale.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaView Post
I bought several of the new Cricut cartridges for gifts directly from Cricut.com and they were under 30.00. That was about a week ago and I got them on Wed. It was a great sale and very fast mailing. I haven't checked lately and it still may be going on - but maybe not at those low prices. I am on their mailing list so I ordered the day I got the message about their sale.
What's their shipping & handling costs like?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Believe it or not yesterday at the Wal-Mart here they still had some of the Cricut Expressions leftover from Black Friday! They said they were still the sale price too...maybe check the Wal-Marts near you?
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitabestampinView Post
Thanks. I was just in there today and bought a Hello Kitty cart for $39.99. Guess what? It's on sale online for $28.88. So, I bought it there, used your free shipping code (thanks for that) and will return the other one! Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just go an email from JoAnns saying they were aware of the problems over the weekend and that the promotion has been extended until tomorrow, Dec. 2nd, FREE shipping with no minimum purchase required, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a portion of the email I received from Joanns-

FREE Shipping with No Minimum Coupon Inside! Promotional code is ECD334B and valid through 12-12-09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I am sorry he wasn't lucky! A few years ago, I didn't know what a Cricut was, but my husband went to Michael's and asked the saleswoman to see "the mother of all arts and crafts" and she took him to the "glass vault" to see the Cricut and that's what he bought me. I cannot picture him in Michael's! I love the story more than the machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by *suzanne*View Post
I am sorry he wasn't lucky! A few years ago, I didn't know what a Cricut was, but my husband went to Michael's and asked the saleswoman to see "the mother of all arts and crafts" and she took him to the "glass vault" to see the Cricut and that's what he bought me. I cannot picture him in Michael's! I love the story more than the machine!
I love that story too! :mrgreen: Given that not all Michael's staff are in the know he did well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

The special of under $70 for the Cricut is not online, though. Would love to connect with someone who decided to upgrade and wants to sell their simple one. Oh well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
I just go an email from JoAnns saying they were aware of the problems over the weekend and that the promotion has been extended until tomorrow, Dec. 2nd, FREE shipping with no minimum purchase required, too.
I got that, too. And the cartridges are going into the shopping cart at $28.88. Free shipping for all orders. Code is ECC334B for the free shipping. Sale & free shipping are valid online only through midnight Wednesday 12/2/09 (not 12/12/09).

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...equestid=88907

Some carts are not available. Apparently they were able to keep their site up often enough over the weekend to sell out of a few.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 12-01-2009 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
Believe it or not yesterday at the Wal-Mart here they still had some of the Cricut Expressions leftover from Black Friday! They said they were still the sale price too...maybe check the Wal-Marts near you?
Your lucky, our Walmart marked the price up to 250 and the carts that were 30 on black friday are now 40.
Reply With Quote Likes