Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Birch Press Dies

By now you may have heard of and seen the beautiful die sets by Birch Press Dies. The multi plate dies layer up to make a stunning card front, however to get the end result you layer each design on top of another (3 layers) on top of your card base ending up with a 4 layer card which makes for a hefty card overall. I could work with the idea using paper for the 2 of the 3 layers topping off with cardstock to eliminate the weight. But when I saw the price, NO WAY!
I luv working with dies and incorporate them in my creations often, but there is no way am I going to spend that much money on a die that I know I would get tired of using after a few applications. I have not completely lost my mind! I'll hold out till someone some where clearance them out.
Check them out the example and let me know your thoughts. Birch Press Design BUTTERFLY GARDEN PLATE LAYER SET Craft Dies 56079 at Simon Says STAMP!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

- They’ve been around for quite a while and I have loved my set, as well as their terrific layering stencils. Colored pencils in those are neat.

- They have occasional sales for mailing list subscribers (not sure if announced on the website) for 20 or 25% off.

- You do not need to use all the dies for a beautiful look. One or two can be used, depending on the look wanted and which die is selected. The die cuts can be cut and placed on the edges of a card or in any desired pattern.

- To stretch use, 1) the dies have been used as stencils for embossing paste, and 2) by accident I found that one die-cut piece (in my set) turned slightly and placed on top of another identical piece can give a shadow look.

- Light cardstock can be used for a thinner card, however, since it’s not unusual to stack sentiments or die cuts two or three high for more dimension, and/or to add foam or foam tape under a card front or die cuts, they have not seem much different.

If you’d use them a couple times just as a focal point, you’re right, they would not be the way to go.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

OT but a bit price related?

Birch Press - and many other manufacturers - have had many of their designs stolen and reproduced in China, then sold here for pennies on the dollar. It’s a never ending battle for these companies to get stores removed on Amazon, for example, for fighting Alibaba, etc. Amazon removes shops but they pop up under different names. Birch Press, for example, has two people just tracking down their stolen designs.

Aside from theft from the artists (just one Birch Press designer, who’s great), the working and housing conditions for factory workers in China are horrific. They are selling at such a low cost, it must be subsidized by the government.

They also steal photos showing examples of dies and stamps from well known bloggers, who then fight to have them removed. Some posts, maybe planted, state that some companies - including Birch Press - manufacture their dies in China, which isn’t true - and is part of the reason the cost is higher. Steel prices have also gone up.

Some manufacturers sell to many retail shops too and when the Chinese knock-offs are widely sold, the LSS’s suffer too, and can - and do - go out of business.

The Post Office, states attorneys general offices and Congress haven’t helped so far. One issue is goods coming in are often marked “samples.”
Old 12-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

Just about everything Made in USA (has parts from China)...
Old 12-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
Just about everything Made in USA (has parts from China)...

Yes, point well taken. However, I was referring to theft, people losing jobs and stores going of business, plus the equivalent of slave labor, rather than, just as an example, computer or appliance parts. And the dies contain no parts from China. Just a slab-o-metal. : )
Old 12-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I think if one were mass-producing cards for fairs, dies like that make beautiful cards quickly. But for the amount of use I personally would get from them, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.
I used to have the same problem with some of Dee's Distinctively Dies. Some of the flowers and trees are fabulous, but by the time you add up the cost of an individual branch, the berries, the sprigs, they were too costly for me
Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

If you have an electronic cutting machine, such as a Cricut or Silhouette, you can buy cut files that will give you the same results. Plus, you can size the files up or down. I bought some from the Silhouette store for a few dollars, and the cards I made turned out great. Here's a picture of one of them:

Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=Scrapjanny;21750921]If you have an electronic cutting machine, such as a Cricut or Silhouette, you can buy cut files that will give you the same results. Plus, you can size the files up or down.

Nicely done!
I have ScannCut2 and I could probably do the same if I was patient enough and really wanted to create such a card. Thanks for sharing.
Scrapjanny likes this post.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I think if one were mass-producing cards for fairs, dies like that make beautiful cards quickly. But for the amount of use I personally would get from them, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.
I used to have the same problem with some of Dee's Distinctively Dies. Some of the flowers and trees are fabulous, but by the time you add up the cost of an individual branch, the berries, the sprigs, they were too costly for me

Makes total sense.

I don’t mass produce (thank goodness) but since I figured the dies could be stretched - like any geometrics in a way? - thought a set would be worth it, and I waited until it was 25% off.

I forgot I’ve also used one in the set for embossing. Just mad a subtle pattern in the paper.
maryalena likes this post.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #10
Compulsive Stamper

I love their layered dies. I have indulged in their 25% off sale the past 2 Black Fridays. I am embarrassed to say that I have 8 sets now, but I've actually used them (unlike a lot of my hoard). I detest making more than 2 of anything, but I made 21 sympathy cards using the Dazzle set for the card swap at Scrapbook Expo last summer and they were beautiful without a ton of labor. These dies are so versatile, but my wallet really hopes that they don't make any more sets that I like.
DianeinSparks and maryalena like this post.