Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default big shot from sizzix or big shot from stampin up?

Which die cutter is the best for your money? I have looked at both and am not sure which way to go. Can anyone help me? Also, where is the best (cheapest) place to buy sizzix machine?
Thanks for you advice!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

you may want to try michaels or joannes or ac moore, and buy when you have a coupon!

also, i have a cuttlebug, got it at m's with coupon, and it does all that the bigshot does.

i think the sizzix site is also having a sale

good luck, and have fun with whichever you buy!!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Buy a Big Shot from SU! and a couple of dies and presto you are at Hostess Level one with a free stamp set and $15 in free merchandise. Wait a few more days for Sale A Bration and you would get a free SAB stamp set or punch or paper pak for every $50 so that could be three more freebies. I LOVE FREE!!!

Another plus is that you would have someone who could answer all of your BS questions, your SU! Demo.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

They are the same machine...I'm betting you already knew that! I got mine at the Ritz Camera site...odd, I know. But I got free shipping and had it in less than a week...mine is a pretty pink color. Also, someone else mentioned checking the Sizzix site 'cause they are having a sale. Look around, there are really good deals out there!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post
you may want to try michaels or joannes or ac moore, and buy when you have a coupon!

also, i have a cuttlebug, got it at m's with coupon, and it does all that the bigshot does.

i think the sizzix site is also having a sale

good luck, and have fun with whichever you buy!!

The Cuttlebug is too small for the Sizzix BigzXL cutting pads. If you want to use the BigzXL dies in a Cuttlebug, you have to jury-rig some cutting pads.

I have both a CB and Big Kick (same as the Big Shot but different colors) and like the BK better. I still have the CB, but I let my kids use it (the CuttleKids machine is a waste of money, IMO, and I should have just bought them their own CB).

I also feel the BK is sturdier and less tipsy. It's lower to the table. It's larger than a CB and doesn't fold up, though, so it's a little harder to tuck away.

For those who feel they'll never use the BigzXL dies (including the Movers & Shapers platforms), a Cuttlebug is fine. It does fold up smaller and is easier to store.

As for where to buy, when you buy from an SU demo, you're getting her help and advise, too. If you've never used a diecut machine before, that will help you get your money's worth. With a demo at your side, your machine won't languish in its box for months while you wonder if you've got the time to sit down and figure out how to use it.

If you know how to use a manual diecutter, then maybe using a coupon at a store would be a better deal for you. HOWEVER, Sale-a-Bration (SAB) starts in a few days and your purchase through SU will earn you extra goodies. You might want to check that out!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Gabfest Goddess

Definitely keep you eye out on sizzix.com. I got my Big Shot for $29! Someone posted here about a special and MANY of us here were able to get a Big Shot for that price. That was around the beginning of November. They have GREAT things on clearance for great prices!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

I bought my Big Kick from HSN about 4 years ago, when they had a great deal. I think they still have great deals from time to time. I would definitely recommend buying it in a craft store like Michael's or JoAnn's, so that you can use a coupon. You don't need anyone to walk you through anything or hold your hand. The directions come with it, and the different "sandwiches" are printed right on the platform. Any questions you have can probably be answered right here on SCS or You Tube. You'll do just fine. Have fun!

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 12-27-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Hardware Hotshot

I just wanted to throw another wrinkle into your shopping plans. Have you been able to try an electric BigShot? That's what I have and I so love it! When you have several items to make it makes it so easy - a press of a switch and it does the work. It's called the BigShot Express.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi