Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Big shot plates

How do I keep my plates from warping?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

The best way I have found is this as recommended by Understandblue - a brand new plate on the bottom, then place the die cutting edge up, then the card, then another plate. The top plate will warp (turn it over each time), but my bottom plate has been going for over two years now and is still perfectly flat. At least this way you don't have to replace them as often. To make sure that I always know which is the bottom one, I bought a pair of coloured ones. I don't think there's any way of stopping warping altogether.
TeeGeeDee and wavejumper like this post.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Linking Queen

Also, if it doesn't make the sandwich too thick, a layer of copy/printer closest to the top plate helps minimize the "scratches" from the die cutting process. This keeps the plate smoother a bit longer.
wavejumper likes this post.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:31 AM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

Tightness is a factor to me...I would rather do a couple passes. I get marked warp with tighter passes. Which can change btw with the die. Last night I was running a bunch of sentiments while watching tv as pre-cuts. Some I had to shim with copy paper and some got tight and warped the plate and the die...don't think you cant do that. The machine can make a pass that feels only a little tight-you don't think it might break/jam at all...it is surprising how much the dies can matter. I would expect that between a wafer and a cover plate say...but even between sentiments.....

anyway a slightly warped plate will still work fine. You just dont want to let it get too far before flipping to flatten again. When I first saw warp I got nervous that I had ruined the plate.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

I had lots of trouble cranking my Cuttlebug. Everyone said just keep pushing it through... well on the second time I used my C plate, it BROKE in half. I always heard the C plate was for Cutting and the B plate was for emBossing Then, most comments were: mine never broke but I never use a C plate, only B. I was too frustrated, I donated my Cuttlebug to an assisted living home and purchased a Gemini JR. Love it, but the plates warp all the time. I do flip-and-rotate with every cut, but they still warp. I was wondering if the plates Crafters Companion made for their new double-sided dies would hold up better, but I haven't had an responses yet as to whether they can be used on regular one sided dies. I just keep a spare plate on hand so when it warps so bad its no longer useable.. with daily cutting I seem to get around 8 months out of a clear plate.
John 3:16
kazooMI likes this post.