Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big shot handle is hard to turn

Hi everyone. I had an issue arise yesterday. I was running something through the big shot and it didn't seem to want to go. The handle was quite hard to turn and actually stopped. I backed it up and checked my sandwich but it was correct. I tried it again. Same thing. I applied more pressure and forced it to turn which it did but it kind of jumped and popped. I realize now that was probably a really stupid thing for me to do to it. I won't force it anymore. But why was it so hard to turn? If I remember correctly I was using a sizzlits die or embosslit when it happened. Help?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 03:24 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

not all machines will use the same sandwich "recipe"...if it is having a hard time going through...don't force it. go down to the next lower size, or lower size plus some plastic shims...you don't want to break it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:02 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kittyn is right, don't force it. A tight fit is good but not so tight that it has to be forced thru.

another thought: If it is hard to turn no matter what sandwich you are using then it might be time to use the little wrench that came with it to adjust the screw in the handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

If by "popped" you mean it made a noise that could be bad news - it might mean the bearings in the machine have given up the ghost. Getting progressively harder to turn sometimes means the bearings are going, grinding to a halt or making a "crunching" sound can mean they've finally given up. The thing that suggests it might not be that is that you were able to back up and get the sandwich out of there so fingers crossed it's OK.

Try running something through, deliberately making a "loose fit" sandwich. If you find the handle won't turn, your bearings have gone I'm afraid. If the machine is still in warranty, talk to your retailer and they should be able to sort it out with Sizzix/Ellison for you (it usually involves them replacing the machine, there isn't a replacement part unless things have changed since mine went "bang" a couple of years back!).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Mine did something like this a few weeks ago and as I tried to turn the handle the entire sandwich jammed. I tried wiggling the handle back and forth, I tried moving the sandwich. I tried WD40, nothing worked and then the handle completely snapped off. I now have a brand new machine but dang, not sure why it suddenly went haywire. On the fun side of things, my son decided to try and take the machine apart before I tossed it, in an effort to salvage the brand new plates I was using. No go but those machines are sure designed sturdy (for the most part with the exception of the handle snapping off). I hope to never seen the innards of my new machine.

Good luck in hopes that yours isn't having a last hurrah too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you all for the replies... Yes, it was a dumb thing to do... Thankfully, I think it was just a temporary thing.. I'm thinking maybe my plates are becoming warped.. well, one of them. I only cut on one of them. The other one is almost like new... aside from a couple cuts in it that I made accidentally. Would that have anything to do with it? And I tried a sizzlit again yesterday, and the same thing happened. I didn't force it this time, I just backed it up and opened the other tab. Even though the platform says to use one tab closed.. I opened them both and it went through ok that time. I only have a handful of sizzlits and one embosslit, so I doubt I'll be using them all that much, but now I know I need to open both tabs.

I'd be pretty upset if it were the bearings... I haven't used my BigShot even 50 times, I doubt. I've had it a long time, but I went a long time without using it.
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Not every one has the same distance between the rollers. So even though a recipe calls for one setup...it might be more or less for your personal one. When you use one die, you might want to mark on the package what the setup is for that particular one, and then any time you use it, you will know (I don't know, but am pretty sure that even each type of die in a series (i.e. all of sizzix's thinlits) might need different recipes, also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Hmm, yeah, I had never used a sizzlit or embosslit before. I bought these ones used.

The bad news is, I was running a nestabilties die through on cardstock tonight and I thought I felt it jump/pop again. I'm freaking out a bit. :(

Could this be from warped plates??
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

DreamsinPink, something to remember with the sandwiches is the thickness of the cardstock you are using will make a difference. Along with what kittyn said, each machine does seem to have different pressures, so not everything will work in every machine. If in doubt, or it's a die you've not used before, I always take something out of the sandwich- maybe a plate, then add in some chipboard/cardstock shims till I get the cut/emboss I'm after, then see how thick the shim was I needed to decide if I can do it with the normal plate recipe. For instance, I bought a pack of the Tim Holtz diffuser plates, and they are about as thick as a normal cutting plate.They are intended to use with embossing folders to just emboss part of the plate, or to leave a part unembossed. In a video I watched on You Tube, the demo ran hers through her machine,(a Cuttlebug) using the normal A plate, B plate, folder with cardstock, Diffuser plate, then the final 'B'plate. My 'bug would not take this at all- I had to remove a 'B'plate, and sub in some cardstock, yet hers handled it without difficulty. Kittyn has good advice with the notes too. I have a Big Shot Pro, and they never really seemed to take off, so finding recipes online isn't easy. I have a notebook I keep in the well of mine, where I write down all the sandwiches I use for different things. Bent/warped plates won't cause this to happen I wouldn't think- you should see mine! lol. Bent, warped, cut into- you name it. It can help a bit to keep switching which side you use, alternating it to sort of help even it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Crud... I was so hoping someone would say my warping plates could be the cause. I'm growing concerned. My BigShot is old, but not worn out.. at least it shouldn't be!! How long should one last with regular use, meaning several times a week...? As I said, I've probably not even used mine 50 times... or maybe I am underestimating, but definitely not 100 times. *sigh*

I don't think it's the papers I'm using. Most of mine is consistent. And I think the heaviest I have is 80 lb and I don't even use that that often. :(
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

It should not be worn out yet I wouldn't think. I'd suggest emailing the manufacturer with the symptoms and seeing what they think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Hmm, even though it's old? I don't even have my receipt... nor do I remember where I bought it. lol
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I work on the theory that it can't hurt to ask! Worst that can happen is they can't do anything. But they may know what it sounds like is wrong, and offer some solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Very true.. good point! Thank you!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
How long should one last with regular use, meaning several times a week...?
As with any bit of equipment (crafty or otherwise) the "norm" doesn't mean a specific individual one can't or won't fail. My original Big Shot had light use, was inside its one year warranty period and the bearings still went bang. The replacement one is about five years old and absolutely fine (hope I didn't just jinx it by typing that!). I agree with Shaz - asking the question of the manufacturer does no harm at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimooseView Post
On the fun side of things, my son decided to try and take the machine apart before I tossed it, in an effort to salvage the brand new plates I was using.
Like your son, my dad decided to take the broken machine apart (men, eh?!). He had more success though - he managed to get at and replace the broken bearing with a plain nylon one which meant my mum could take over the machine rather than it going into landfill.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Breaking Big Shots must be contagious! I did much the same thing two days ago. I managed to wedge two cutting plates, a thin die, a metal cutting plate, and a multi platform halfway through my machine. I could not get these out nor turn the handle either direction.Fortunately my BFF's DH is super handy. He took the Big Shot apart and showed me that I had sheared off a quarter inch of cogs on one of the large gears and bent the shaft of my handle.
But wait, there's more. He said he would need a "small gear, a big gear, a handle shaft and two split rings, " to repair my Big Shot. Knowing I was out of warranty, I steeled myself for the purchase of a new machine.
I called Sizzix Customer Service today and they are sending him the parts at NO CHARGE, not even shipping! I am impressed. The Customer Service agent felt sure she could get them sent out today as well.
Years ago I had destroyed a Big Shot that was still in warranty. Sizzix sent me a brand new one then. That replacement is the one I stripped out two days ago.
What else can I say? Sizzix is the best IMHO!
Anyone considering buying a Big Shot? Do not hesitate. They can take use and abuse and Sizzix stands behind their product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, that's amazing! Talk about customer service. xD I'll be calling them Monday!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Hmm, yeah, I had never used a sizzlit or embosslit before. I bought these ones used.

The bad news is, I was running a nestabilties die through on cardstock tonight and I thought I felt it jump/pop again. I'm freaking out a bit. :(

Could this be from warped plates??
I have had my machine jump/pop at times and it was more the die causing it as it went through the machine. Hope this is what is the problem with yours too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

this is true, the 'jump/pop' you are getting could actually be down to the plates, if they are quite cut into and warped. It *could*, not definite, but maybe, just the sound of the plates being flattened. I know my very bent one makes a cracking sound when rolled through the machine, so it's possible thats what you are hearing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

It's not the normal crackling sound you hear when the die cuts.. and it's not a loud pop.. maybe pop was the wrong way to describe it. But when the handle stopped turning, I added more pressure, making it turn. It did go, but the plates kind of jumped out the other side. I haven't used it for a few days. But I think later today I'm going to play with it a little bit.. using different things to see how it acts.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't used mine enough...but i think that mine has done something like that before...however, as I said, never "force" it. if it goes through fairly easily then you are okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I know... I don't know what I was thinking. :rolleyes:
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I saw this, and posted it...it's a story that had a good ending. *laughs*

Bonscraft: When crafting goes wrong and Sissix Bigshot Repair

This website gives a very good breakdown of how she repaired her Big Shot, with step by step photos (and a link to a more technical jargon loaded one): Cards ,Crafts ,Kids Projects: How I repaired my Big Shot !

A tutorial for flattening warped plates...it's definitely use at your own risk...for both burn risks/etc with the plate, and possible damage to the big shot after...but my honest opinion is that an acrylic plate is the same as another, as long as you are careful with each die, and figuring out your own "recipe" for die cutting...and of course, after you do this, the plate measurement will probably change: Cuttlebug B plate "cook" - Album on Imgur

HOpe that helps! *smiles*

Kittyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I finally replaced my well used plates and I was amazed at how much easier everything went through!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sizzix sent the parts needed to repair my Big Shot, all for free as promised. The DH of my BFF says it took him 10 minutes to replace my gears and handle shaft. He is an engineer and commented on how well made the Big Shot was. My Big Shot works so smooth now, I realize it was having a problem even before I destroyed those gears.I am so delighted that Sizzix has such great customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes