Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #1761
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwood99 View Post
I seemed to have jammed my big shot and my items are stuck and it won't budge when I try to turn the cranker. I thought I could unscrew the base to help loosen the unit and get the pads out but no such luck. Any recommendations on I how I can get items out?
Can't tell you how to unjam your Big Shot, but if you purchased it from Stampin' Up!, there's a 3 year warranty.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #1762
Inking Addict

This happened to my sizzix side kick - it jammed solid, we took it apart, managed to get the thing in bits, but the cog inside had snapped. I then bought a big shot in the hope that it was more durable - so far so good (in my experience). I'd go with the warranty idea - this would have worked for me if I'd kept my receipt!
good luck!
jenny
Made On The Farm
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #1763
Mad Swapper

I will be purchasing a Big Shot in the next few days. Do you recommend I purchase any additional mats/shims/etc?? I want to be able to emboss right away. I have no embossing folders either.

Thank you!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #1764
Inking Addict

Default RE: Big Shot Embossing Folders

HI Craftyteaspoon

You will not need anything extra to use the embossing folders. Your sandwich (from bottom to top) will be the

Multipurpose platform set at Tab 1
Standard cutting pad
Embossing folder (with card stock inside) and
Standard cutting pad.

Since the MPP and standard cutting pads come with the machine, you will be all set except for the embossing folders. Have you seen the ones from Stampin' Up? They are just beautiful!! I recommend them highly!! They give a wonderful impression.

Since all machines are calibrated differently, you might want to try the embossing folders through your machine and if they cut too deeply go down one tab. My machine cuts very deeply, so I sometimes need to use the base platform for my embossing folders

HTH

Jan in PB
Check out my Blog Jan's Stamping Creations
www.jansstampingcreations.com
Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1765
Proud Fan Club Member

If you are going to emboss from texture plates, you will need to get the silicone pad. Love, love, love my Big Shot. I purchased the Cricut first and ended up selling it because I didn't use it like I use the Big Shot. Enjoy!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #1766
Inking Addict

I'd recommend getting a load of the Cuttlebug embossing folders - these are fab and leave a much better impression than the sizzix texture plates. You don't need anything at all with them - just the basics that come with the big shot. I found the cuttlebug embossing folders to be the best value too..
jenny
Made On The Farm
Old 09-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #1767
Rubber Obsessor

Embossing folders are awesome! There are so many to choose from. Scrapbookpal.com has the A2 (card size) folders for 3.99. If you spend $25.00 you get free shipping. They also have a great selection of the 5 x 7 embossing folders. There adhesive is a good price as well.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #1768
Proud Fan Club Member

ACMoore has cuttlebug folders for $4.99 and if you sign up for rewards, you can get coupons emailed to you weekly for at least 40% and sometimes 50% off. Michaels has them also but range from $4.99 to $5.99 per folder. I have quite a few. Michaels doesn't email the coupons as often, but you can still get them in newspapers.

Last edited by muscrat; 09-30-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: adding a sentence
Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #1769
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anyone know anything other than what's in the catalog about the Big Shot die storage boxes in the new catalog? I know if my dies were more easily accessible and not dumped in a rubbermaid box I would likely use them more. Just wondering how sturdy they are and whether anybody has one and their opinion of it. thanks!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #1770
Mad Swapper

Question Big Shot sold in stores????

Is the Big Shot sold in any stores? So far I can not find one in a store, only on-line. Joann's only carries the Big Kick as does Michaels. That's about it for craft stores near me (), except for Hobby Lobby but the one I went to had no Sizzix machines at all.

Really didn't want to pay shipping on such a heavy item.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #1771
Proud Fan Club Member

I've never seen one in a craft store. I bought mine from a Stampin Up demonstrator. It probably cost more that way, but if you can find it online, even with shipping you would probably pay less. It is $99 in the SU catalog. Then you pay 10% shp and handling and your sales tax.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #1772
Glitter Queen

I am not sure where to "ask a question" but I am wondering if there is a die (that can be used in my Big Shot) for a regular sized envelope that is approximately 5 3/4" x 4 3/8". I think that I have seen some Sizzix dies but I believe they are for the Big Shot Pro. Can these dies be used in the regular Big Shot? I am new to the Big Shot world.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #1773
Glitter Queen

I just bought my Big Shot on e-bay and saved a bundle of $$$. In the Stampin Up Canadian catalogue, the Big Shot is $132.95. With shipping & taxes the total would have been $164.14 (Can $$) - YIKES!. I found one listed on e-bay as a "Buy It Now" for $56.95. I had it shipped to my niece who is in college in North Dakota - cheaper than shipping to Canada. Even after shipping and exchange, the total was only $69.15 (Can $$). The machine was brand new - still packed in the sealed plastic clam shell. Now, I just have to learn how to use it efficiently!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #1774
Proud Fan Club Member

I heard several people say they could get them for around $60 but I don't do online shopping. I love my Big Shot. Well worth the money I spent. I got all the texture plates SU had and I have purchased a lot of Cuttlebug and Sizzix folders in ACMoore and Michaels. I also bought some alphabet dies so I can cut letters.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #1775
Matboard Maniac

The Big Kick is almost the same machine as the Big Shot. If you go to the Sizzix website you can see both of them and compare. I bought my BS from Estuff.ca when he had it on for about $69. I regularly see them for about $120 with lots of accessories included. He has an e-bay name that is something like coolgear2000. Not sure about the number part, but if you searched coolgear you might find it. He also has the nestie sets of four for about $67 and on sale for $61 sometimes. These are US prices but he ships out of Vancouver so us Canadians can get via Canada Post. I think the shipping for the BS was about $14, but I ordered plates, dies etc and I think it only ended up at about $17.

As for the envelope die question, I also bought from him an XL die for an A2 envelope. It was about $35. The bad part is it is not one piece. The sides of the envelope are joined together by two pieces that are cut out separate from the envelope body. This does allow for a decorative element if you want to use different paper. The flap is also a separate piece. This means you are assembling four different pieces, the body, the two side joining pieces and the flap. I found it to be a pain because I was looking for quick and easy, not decorative, so I don't use it. If I ever wanted a decorative envelope, I might dust it off, but I'm not that fussy about the envies, so probably not.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #1776
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know anything other than what's in the catalog about the Big Shot die storage boxes in the new catalog? I know if my dies were more easily accessible and not dumped in a rubbermaid box I would likely use them more. Just wondering how sturdy they are and whether anybody has one and their opinion of it. thanks!

Suzanne,
I have all 3 sizes of the die storage boxes and they are very well constructed and heavy. I am so used to everything being plastic or thin cardboard that I was really surprised at how well these boxes where made. You can stack several boxes on top of each other and each has their own label holder. Well worth the money.

Lois
Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #1777
Cardstock Collector

I have just bought the cuttlebug quilling dies, yummy, but I can't seem to get them to cut in the Big Shot
Has anyone tried these and have a sandwich recipe?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #1778
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elorac nerge View Post
I have just bought the cuttlebug quilling dies, yummy, but I can't seem to get them to cut in the Big Shot
you might find it here:
Using a Sizzix Big Shot with other brands of dies! - Watch Video - Kendin Co
Old 10-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #1779
Mad Swapper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elorac nerge View Post
Thank you!! I did not know these existed - I must have them. I also have a big shot - have you found the best sandwich yet?????
Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #1780
Kookie Creator

Does anyone know which die will let me cut circles that are about 1 inch or less? I'm trying to cut the vinyl and punches don't quite give you a clean cut.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #1781
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Cheri, have you tried the Classic Circle Nestabilities? Those have tons of sizes, I think in 1/4 or 1/8 inch increments...
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #1782
Inking Addict

Any tips on get Nestie to cut only, not emboss using the Big Shot? Whenever I cut with my nesties I always get the embossed line, sometimes I don't want that line.

I am using the multipurpse platform with all tabs closed, cutting pad, nestie (face up), cardstock, cutting pad.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #1783
Embossing Fanatic

try using a thinner shim in some manner. Whatever you are using to hold the sandwich together, use a little bit less. If necessary, start with nothing, building up with some printer paper and/or cardstock.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #1784
Embossing Fanatic

You're right. I actually have the longer cutting system, so don't have the hinge on my white plastic thing -( sorry it's middle of night, can't think of names) or all the thinner attached plates that are a part of that system. Many times, I create my own shims with cardboard from layers of cereal box cardboard, cardstock and/or even just copy paper - a mixture. sometimes it just takes a few tries - hard on paper inventory, but I just spent a few hours one day figuring it out, and wrote down my sandwiches and kept the final groups of shims clipped together, labeled for what they did and were for.

Good luck. don't get frustrated, think of it as an adventure. j
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #1785
Compulsive Stamper

I have a questions for all you Big Shot users. I had an electric one which burnt out. I was probably doing something wrong. The first time I tried to die cut something the sandwich I had made to go into the machine got stuck - twice and then the motor just stopped. It won't start back up. Anyway, I am trying to decide whether to now get a manual Big Shot or just a cuttlebug. I am not proficient in either one of them.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #1786
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouweave2 View Post
I have a questions for all you Big Shot users. I had an electric one which burnt out. I was probably doing something wrong. The first time I tried to die cut something the sandwich I had made to go into the machine got stuck - twice and then the motor just stopped. It won't start back up. Anyway, I am trying to decide whether to now get a manual Big Shot or just a cuttlebug. I am not proficient in either one of them.
I love the Big Shot. It is built so well. It is heavy, which keeps it from sliding all over the place and you can use just about any die sets in it. I use Spellbinders (nestabilities, SU dies, Cuttlebug folders, etc) and they all come out just fine! It costs more than a Cuttlebug, but I got mine through SU. Others have made a fine deal ordering online....
Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #1787
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I love the Big Shot. It is built so well. It is heavy, which keeps it from sliding all over the place and you can use just about any die sets in it. I use Spellbinders (nestabilities, SU dies, Cuttlebug folders, etc) and they all come out just fine! It costs more than a Cuttlebug, but I got mine through SU. Others have made a fine deal ordering online....
I too have the Big Shot and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like the sturdy base and use ALL brands of embossing folders, dies etc. I stayed away from the electric one for just the reason you mentioned and I like the steady(ness)
of the Big Shot over the Cuttlebug.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #1788
Rubber Obsessor

Default getting a big shot

I just posted a bit ago that I had debated for about 4 months before joining on getting this. Most of the debate on my part was for the electric one due to my hands, but decided that the extra for it was just not worth the expense until actually warranted. Now that I have the regular one, I can crank out 40 or 50 items at a time with no problem. Can't write so you can read it, but the big shot works great. So. in light of my short experience ( a month) with this, and the amount I have used it already, my preference would be to stay with the manual one. jm2 worth
Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #1789
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouweave2 View Post
I didn't know there was an electric Big Shot until you posted! I still prefer the manual one. Besides, if you are cranking by hand and it feels too tight you can stop and try another way to "sandwich" it. An electric one would probably keep motoring and try to pull it through whether it was to thick or not. Love, love, love (did I say love?) my Big Shot!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #1790
Embossing Fanatic

Default electric Big Shot

I actually have the electric Big Shot. I have had the machine not be able to handle the sandwich I put together. Because you are controlling the input, you can actually stop it before it gets really lodged in there if you're watching closely. I love the electric.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #1791
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for all your input, I ordered a Big Shot today from Joanns. I got it on Sale for 59.00.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #1792
Rubber Obsessor

Default big shot

What an awsome price. Best I could find it here without shipping was 129.00. We definitely need Joannes in Canada. Michaels has right on their coupons that provo products are not included in the discount and the coupons cannot be used on them.

Enjoy !
Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #1793
Mad Swapper

Shonni,
The Big Kick is by Sizzix, so Michael's coupons should work on it when it is not on sale. The Big Kick (available at "big box" stores) is virtually the same as the Big Shot (available through Stampin' Up! and at locally-owned stamping and scrapbooking stores.

Also, the USA Michael's stores have "all manual die-cutting machines and accessories" on sale for 40% off frequently, and that usually includes both Sizzix's Big Kick and ProvoCraft's Cuttlebug; I hope they do you Canadians the same favor. There are several posts on this long thread outlining people's reasons for favoring one over the other.

Watch the ads and coupons for a while and you'll be able to get the Big Kick and everything else you want/need/want using coupons. Have fun shopping and playing!

Alice
Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #1794
Proud Fan Club Member

I was going to say the same thing as Alice. The Big Shot is not a provo craft product so if they would carry it, coupons should work.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #1795
Rubber Obsessor

Default oops

sorry about that, yes it is. Still want to hit Joann's again though

Will have to check out that guy on line that ships from BC. love my big shot!!!!!

I also have a circuit which sits in the box. i only have one cartridge for it, and find that by the time I get it set up the item I want can be cut. Maybe if doing mega amounts of things, it would be different, but have no place to sit it to keep it out. My work room is one end of the table we eat at since moving. Think I actually used it 3 times. Not like me. Usually can't put somethiing away when I get it to use. Oh well.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #1796
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonni View Post
sorry about that, yes it is. Still want to hit Joann's again though

Will have to check out that guy on line that ships from BC. love my big shot!!!!!

I also have a circuit which sits in the box. i only have one cartridge for it, and find that by the time I get it set up the item I want can be cut. Maybe if doing mega amounts of things, it would be different, but have no place to sit it to keep it out. My work room is one end of the table we eat at since moving. Think I actually used it 3 times. Not like me. Usually can't put somethiing away when I get it to use. Oh well.

I bought my BS from the guy I think you are referring to, estuff.ca. I use mine quite a bit. I have the cricut and at least 14 cartridges and I've only used it 2-3 times. I finally put it in the bottom of my wardrobe. My BS sits on my table with my plates and MPP in a small box beside it, ready to go as soon as I sit down to create. I may put the Cricut up for sale if I still haven't used it in the next few years, but I'd have to quit crafting before I give up my BS.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #1797
Insane Embellisher

Hi All,

I hope somebody reads this and responds because I don't want to try this until I hear that it's ok. I want to use a Bigz die in my Big Shot and cut chipboard....yet I'm afraid to do as I've never cut any thing but paper with it. I do see that chipboard is an approved material that can be cut though...so it's really OK? I'm not going to hurt my machine??? What's the sandwich I need to use?

Thanks tons...
Bonnie
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #1798
Cardstock Collector

I have a question about the Big Shot Pennant die. I am seeing that some of you are getting points at the end of teh pennant and mine are more squared off with a half of scallop on each side at the bottom. Am I not positioning the paper on the die correctly to get the point? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated....
Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #1799
Gabfest Goddess

Can you or can you not use a Michaels coupon on the BigShot? I thought you could, now not sure.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #1800
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice in Md View Post
Shonni,
The Big Kick is by Sizzix, so Michael's coupons should work on it when it is not on sale. The Big Kick (available at "big box" stores) is virtually the same as the Big Shot (available through Stampin' Up! and at locally-owned stamping and scrapbooking stores.

Also, the USA Michael's stores have "all manual die-cutting machines and accessories" on sale for 40% off frequently, and that usually includes both Sizzix's Big Kick and ProvoCraft's Cuttlebug; I hope they do you Canadians the same favor. There are several posts on this long thread outlining people's reasons for favoring one over the other.

Watch the ads and coupons for a while and you'll be able to get the Big Kick and everything else you want/need/want using coupons. Have fun shopping and playing!

Alice
HERE'S my answer! Should have read a little more! lol