Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot Express frozen motor problem SOLVED!

I posted a thread yesterday asking for any advice on fixing a Big Shot Express motor that was 'frozen'. Today, after about 45 minutes of surgery, my dear hubby revived the motor!! I took notes as listed below, and if you want to discuss this via email, phone, with your hubby or guy, let me know and I will set you up with my hubby to figure out your machine. Here are his comments:
Problem:
The cooling fan blades inside the motor were melted to the housing.
Solution:
After taking machine apart, go to the back end of the motor where the armature shaft comes out. You will see that the shaft is slotted for a flat screwdriver. Turn the shaft hard �left or right, doesn�t matter�to break the fan free from where it melted to the housing. Put the machine back together, plug it in, turn it on. Remove any melted pieces as they fly out.
And finally:
NO MORE TWO BY FOURS IN THE EXPRESS!!! Quote, unquote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

LOL, that's great! Congrats on getting it working again!

Anne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH thank you! I just had this happen and was having a huge pity party...I was just too afraid to torque that screwdriver. You REALLY need to turn that stinker hard! Got it working again and I am thrilled. But it was so fun to do the Nesties in one pass...now I guess I will have to do them in 2 to save my machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

JUST Posted in the other thread... so does this fix my temporary freezing of the darn thing, I can come back maybe two days later and it will finally give me my folder and paper out.... would you ask your DH what would cause it to bog down, it starts off just hummin along. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRthen **poof**rrrrrrr______________________nuttin....

Thanks in advance!!!! I wont let DH touch it even though he cant really make it "worse" since it doesn't work anyway....

and no!!!! NO 2x4's have gone through it! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

KelliJo, mine kept freezing again and again after I "fixed" it last night. I have a feeling I am going to be in your spot soon. I just kept putting that screwdriver in though and it would fix it. It is a real pain though to do that all the time. I hope this is not going to be a chronic problem with it. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Did you remove all the melted plastic pieces in the motor armature? (DH asks)
I actually yanked my folder and paper out--but I wouldn't suggest that...! By the time DH did surgery on it, it was clean of 'debris'.
DH also says that the probable reason it takes a bit to spit out your stuff is that the motor finally cools down.
"Inside, on the motor, there is a cooling fan with plastic blades. It overheats, the blades melt, and it jams. If there is no debris (plastic melted fan bits) that you can see, then the motor may have burned out." quote, unquote, by DH
Ok, that doesn't sound promising. A burned out motor can't be fixed according to him, but he's not a pro at this--he reminded me. I made the suggestion to him about taking it to a lawn mower repair shop or something--but he just looked at me like I had two heads...
If you want to talk to him, or have your DH talk with my DH, send me a PM with your phone number and he will give you a call.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Are you trying to use the Spellbinders in some sort of sandwich combo? or does it freeze up even using the regular Sizzix dies? I actually have not tried to use mine lately. I will pull it out tomorrow and give it a whirl--in a Sizzix way that is. What did you try to squeeze in there that caused your problems?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkaBellasMommieView Post
Are you trying to use the Spellbinders in some sort of sandwich combo? or does it freeze up even using the regular Sizzix dies? I actually have not tried to use mine lately. I will pull it out tomorrow and give it a whirl--in a Sizzix way that is. What did you try to squeeze in there that caused your problems?
I cant use a embossing folder OR the top note die.... NUTTIN... the embossing folders are VERY Skinny and with just a lil piece of cardstock in between it makes NO SENSE!!!!! :( Of course I guess THIS will justify purchasing that new T!M Holtz machine that is coming out in July!!! Have you seen it??? OMG SOOOO cute, it's a lil suitcase and it can cut Metal, plastic etc... the same stuff you see him using.... **swoon** I am SO excited as I had told myself NO WAY, since I have darn near every machine known to man.... LOL I printed off your directions and I think I will have DH take a peak see....:???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

No, I haven't seen the new Tim Holtz machine yet--will have to take a peak. I have 3 machines already and the next one on my list is the Spellbinder Wizzard. I am done trying to figure out how to work the dies through the Sizzix Express. I have read mixed reviews about it, but I really, really like the Spellbinders dies. I've also seen how to use cut out cardboard/chipboard, to do the same type of embossing. Have you seen that? Totally cool!
I hope your DH can figure out your machine--keep it running 'til you get your new toy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Well, I got an email from Sizzix and they said they will exchange mine for me. I have a number to call...just need to find a time since the time difference from here is insane. At any rate...I will have to let you all know what comes of it.

Mine jammed with the nesties only. I use the Sizzix dies and it works fine...but always seems slower as it gets to the end of the XL dies, like the matchbox. But so far...it has worked for several (over 10) cuts without quitting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkaBellasMommieView Post
For the Spellbinder Nesties, SN suggested that I use the CB "C" plate with one of the reg. cutting plates that came with the Big Shot Express. That has worked well. It will even cut two pieces of cardstock @ a time. I found that out by accident. I hope Sizzix sends you a new machine.

It's a little scary when your new machine comes with its own screwdriver!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the tip! I got mine to cut nicely with the Cuttlebug C plate, too. Kinda funny what we do for a nice cut/emboss!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for this feed because my big shot express did the same thing and because of this feed I was able to repair it on my own...Its works perfectly now..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Congrats on getting it working again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

My Big Shot express died, I called Sizzix as it had been under a year. Still under warranty, had to pay to ship it back but my reward was a NEW VAGABOND!! I can not speak highly enough of the customer service that I recieved from Sizzix!! Brittany was awesome, actually some how in error I recieved 2 replacements. They sent a call tag for the extra one.
So if you are having a issue and it has been under a year or even over a year I would give them a call and they will work with you.
BTW did I say how much I LOVE my vagabond???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

It is October 2014 and I was looking for a way to fix my BSE ( I bought it in 200 that got stuck. It wouldn't budge either way. I was about to throw it away, when I came across this thread and saw that someone with my situation contacted Sizzix and got a replacement Vagabond. Well, just for the heck of it I emailed Sizzix customer service and they responded the next day saying apologizing and that they were aware of a defect in the machine. They were sorry for the inconvenience and said that if I sent them back my damaged machine (I pay shipping), they would replace it with a Vagabond since they didn't make the BSE anymore. Wow, I can't believe it. Sizzix rocks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzMimView Post
Sizzix rocks!!!!!
Yes they do!! Congrats on the great outcome The Vagabond rocks too LOL.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Help

Yes I am interested in a different kind of solution with my machine ... the reverse button stopped working.
Reply With Quote Likes