Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Default Big Kick Starting to Squeak

Recently, my Big Kick has started squeaking and making noise when I run dies through. The handle doesn't turn as well either. It's cuts are still good, it's just noisy. I've had it for about 8 years. Is it starting to die or is there some way I can save it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann likes this post.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:02 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

Is there any obvious point where you could oil it? If so, I'd use something like sewing machine oil to do so. Another possibility could be to spray up into the roller area with a can of Air spray, could be an accumulation of paper fibres?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Is there any obvious point where you could oil it? If so, I'd use something like sewing machine oil to do so. Another possibility could be to spray up into the roller area with a can of Air spray, could be an accumulation of paper fibres?

That is a good idea. I'll have to try it. Today, it's been gripping weird. I'm worried the rollers are out of alignment, but it still cuts. Perhaps it is just a build up of fibers. Fingers crossed.

I don't see a place to oil it that wouldn't end up ruining paper. Ugh.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

Have you checked to make sure the handle doesn't need adjusting? When my Bigshot starts acting weird I used the hex wrench (?) that came with it to re tighten the handle screw. Always amazed at what a difference it makes.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

A couple of years ago when my Big Shot started acting up I was able to figure out that I had a crushed bearing. Now to be fair my Big Shot would crank but my plates would not go through. I could crank all day long and the plates wouldn't move..It felt like something inside was slipping.I found a video on YouTube to take the Big Shot apart and was able to buy 2 replacement bearings off of Ebay for about 16.00. I'm not gonna lie I was extremely nervous to take it apart but my husband, who has a better working knowledge on how things work, helped me and I was back in business.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
Have you checked to make sure the handle doesn't need adjusting? When my Bigshot starts acting weird I used the hex wrench (?) that came with it to re tighten the handle screw. Always amazed at what a difference it makes.

I just tightened the handle as I found it was a bit loose. Unfortunately it didn't help, but thank you so much for the idea.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #7
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by August29 View Post
A couple of years ago when my Big Shot started acting up I was able to figure out that I had a crushed bearing. Now to be fair my Big Shot would crank but my plates would not go through. I could crank all day long and the plates wouldn't move..It felt like something inside was slipping.I found a video on YouTube to take the Big Shot apart and was able to buy 2 replacement bearings off of Ebay for about 16.00. I'm not gonna lie I was extremely nervous to take it apart but my husband, who has a better working knowledge on how things work, helped me and I was back in business.

I think that might be what is wrong with it. It keeps getting worse every time I use it. Unfortunately, I'm not that handy and do not have a husband to help. It may be time to invest in a new machine. I have been eyeing an electric one. Maybe this is a sign to upgrade.
pepperann and Annecards like this post.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #8
Stampin' Fool

Well dang, I was hoping for your sake it was something easy. Good luck in the new machine search and purchase.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeBunny View Post
Recently, my Big Kick has started squeaking and making noise when I run dies through. The handle doesn't turn as well either. It's cuts are still good, it's just noisy. I've had it for about 8 years. Is it starting to die or is there some way I can save it?

Hi there! Last year I had a little trouble with my well used, 10+ year old Big Shot. I contacted Sizzix and they sent me some parts to try, free of charge! As it turned out, all of the parts were fine, just the gears were clogged from a decade plus of use. So, I would suggest contacting Sizzix as they are super helpful, and checking out you tube videos on how to easily take your machine apart. Even if you decide to buy an electric one, there are times when having two would come in handy!