Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Default Best machine for using Nestabilities?

Hi there!

I just received my first set of Nesties!! I have an Ellison Bigshot and used my Nesties for the first time in it and every cut came out embossed. Is that normal? I followed the Nestabilities suggestions for the Big Shot.

Does the cuttlebug emboss every cut? I am just weighing whether it is worth my while to buy yet another die cutting machine.

Thanks!

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I have a Big Shot and have the same problem. I think it is, in my situation, because of the white spacer plate being just a hair too thick. I recently purchased the long nesties and had to get a bigger spacer plate which as it happens to be, is a little thinner than the smaller white spacer plate. I am having better luck with the W017 white spacer plate as apposed to the 4 1/4 x 6" white(forgot the item number) spacer plate. I think you will get different results with every machine so my advice would be to experiment with your machine to get the right sandwich recipe for cutting and for embossing.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Zip'e'mate and it works fine with it. No embossing although it does imprint into the covering plastic plate but I've read that is normal.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love using the Nestabilities in my Cuttlebug, but you might not want to spend the extra dollars without doing some experimenting first.

Sounds like the plates in your Big Shot are a very tight fit. If you have any extra spacer plates, or other options such as thin particle board try those first.

If you can't get it to work without embossing the edges, then you could look into the Wizard (which is made for Nestabilities) or the Cuttlebug.
John 3:16
Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

the cuttlebug is on sale this week at HL, so it would not be that bad...

I will try other things. I have the special cutting platform that allows me to cut the big QK dies and it is a very tight fit. I will try the regular cutting mat that came with it and see.

It's kind of funny that I am complaining that it cuts 'too well'!! LOL!

Check out my Blog! -
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I have a Big Shot and I found most sandwich recipes out there recommend using tab 2 of the platform. When I did that, I got the embossing marks too. So I experimented with CS shims and having the platform open at tab 1 and I've found what works for my machine.

I use 5 pieces of thin CS as shims with the platform at tab 1 - I get perfect cutting every time now, no embossing marks! I also use tab 1 and the same 5 CS shims when I emboss with my Nesties - and I get perfect embossing results. The CS I use is nowhere near as thick as SU! CS - it was just thin pearlescent card I had in my stash that just happened to be the perfect size for shims. I added a piece at a time until I got the results I wanted.

I'd say try experimenting using tab 1 on the platform and adding CS shims until you get perfect results with your particular machine - rather than getting a new one! Good luck!

Last edited by FubsyRuth; 04-14-2008 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for the help w/ that. I don't know that many people that have the BS, so this is so helpful. I will play around with recipes!!

Check out my Blog! -
Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I just got my nesties and they worked just great in my cuttlebug! They worked both way, just cut and or embossed!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Believe it or not, I love the Nesties in my original Sizzix machine. I have the big kick but the dies tended to slide around a bit in the sandwich and I would get the emboss when I didn't want it. I read on SCS that people had used Nesties in the original Sizzix and they work perfectly. Plus, there is no sandwich for them to slide around in. The only issue was getting an acrylic plate to use with the original sizzix and I ended up using the acrylic plates from my SideKick. I use one for the smaller Nesties and two for the larger ones.