Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :-( Basic Brown Classic Ink Pad

The Basic Brown pad I purchased last summer has been so disappointing. I chose it over Chocolate Chip because it was supposed to be waterproof. I love using brown in projects, but this particular pad is vexing. When I use solid stamps the image ends up blotchy, and when I use any with fine detail the lines get blurry because it just seems to bleed into the paper. I've been avoiding it like the plague and turning to my old Colorbox chalk inks. The Basic Black I bought at the same time is fabulous though.

Now that I'm a demonstrator I'd like to use some sort of brown in my classes and workshops. I'm leaning towards trying Chocolate Chip, but I don't want to be disappointed again.

What kind of experiences have you had with Basic Brown and Chocolate Chip classic inks? Should I give Chocolate Chip a try?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Well... when I bought mine, I bought it to stamp fine line images, not soild ones. I wouldn't recomend using anything other than Chocolate Chip. The two colors are not the same, either. I haven't had the problem you describe with fine line images. But I do like stamping with brown chalk ink. That's very nice!

Hope that helps!

my blog | the hybrid chick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

What about the brown Stazon for a waterproof ink? I use chocolate chip & have never bought the basic brown because I do use the brown Stazon for watercoloring. It does not bleed or run on SU white & vanilla cardstock. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

No, no, no! :eek: Staz-on is not made for watercoloring, although it works well for it. It's a powerful (and stinky) ink that's made for certain types of surfaces. Plus, it's a pain to clean off. I'd recommend VersaFine inks for watercoloring any day. And they make them in lots of colors, including black and brown. I'm a total convert. I'm never going to stamp with StazOn to watercolor again. You can read more about how great VersaFine is here: http://inkblots.webseitler.com/blog/...versafine

my blog | the hybrid chick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Definitely purchase the chocolate chip. The brown is very rich looking. I love pairing the color in many of my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the chocolate chip and I too use Brown StazOn to watercolor. HTH.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Stampin' Up!'s product guide that you use Basic Brown for stamping your line image to watercolor inside with reinkers and blender pens on SU! Cardstocks. But they suggest Brown StazOn for the stamping of your line images on Watercolor or textured papers, and if you plan to use water brushes or Aqua pens... as you would with watercolor crayons.... so stazOn for the "wet" stuff.

I use Brown Stazon for all the very "wet" watercoloring I do... If I am just using blender pens and watercolor pencils or reinkers I use Basic Brown and I have never had a bleeding or blotch problem. I would first try to re-ink the pad. I find that my Basic Brown and black need to be reinked more often than my other pads.

If you are storing the ink correctly; flat and in a room temperature location with the top side up (with the print on the top of the pad), and you are using the product on SU! card stock as it was intended to be used... and if you are STILL having those problems; then you should call SU!

It is not unheard of for there to be a "bad batch" of ink or something... SU! will make it right!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not buy Basic Black or Brown by SU. Why buy a waterproof ink that is only waterproof on certain papers? I've used Memories waterproof Black and Brown inks for years. Perfect, crisp, dark colors and really waterproof.
Reply With Quote Likes