Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATG 714 Help Please!!

I purchased the ATG 714 hoping to save money on adhesive, but I have not been anything but frustrated. The tape is always coming off the roller (the roller that touches the paper). I have it loaded correctly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Someone had suggested in an earlier post that that was caused by tilting the ATG. Sometimes mine gets to the edge or even a little off the edge, so I run another strip and try really hard not to tilt the gun. So far it's worked. An earlier roll came off the roller but that was because I had loaded it incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Make sure the tape is attached to the take up reel very snuggly. Push the trigger and tighten the take up reel by hand. Hope that helps.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I might try reloading it (even though you will waste a bit of adhesive) and try pulling it a bit snugger. What kind of paper are you using? The only time I ever have trouble with mine is when I use it on chipboard for reasons unknown. Good luck. I hope you figure it out. I think you will love it when you do. My friend just broke hers (dropped it for the dozenth time and it finally quit) and she is frantic to get a new one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

did you put the black cap on the waste roller?

are you using the right size tape?

have you checked the tension to make sure there is no slack in the liner?

those are the first things that came to me...

sorry to hear that you are having trouble...

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

This has also happened to me. I used two cases of tape with no problems and on the third case, ack! What I have discovered is that the tape roll is not tight, there is a gap in the actual roll. If I try to tighten the tension the roll just slides right off the little white centre bit. I tried again with a roll from a new case and it works just fine. I think you probably have a faulty roll of tape. All is not lost, however, you can still use it just like you would any other double sided tape. Hope you didn't end up with a whole case of it like I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I am left handed and someone posted a reply and said to make sure you pulled the gun toward you and not to the side. I was having some trouble but this fixed it. Good Luck, I love my ATG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem and emailed framing supply and got this response:

Quote:

Hello Erin,

There are two suggestions that might help you. Make sure the tape roll is on the gun securely, it snap in. Second, make sure the release paper is wound tightly around the tape up reel. Those are the only two things I can think of that will cause your problem.

If that does not help please contact 3M customer service at 800-362-3550.
I checked the release paper and tightened it. Unfortunately (well sorta) I also read on here about the tilting the gun at the same time, so I tried both fixes at the same time. Being very careful to hold it straight and tightning the release stuff.

And it works now (so that's great) but I don't know which was my problem. But I did have it clicked in right, so I know that's not it...

Anyhow I hope some combination of those tips can help. If not you could call that number I rekon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Making it tighter did help, Thank you all!! It still isn't perfect in the sense that it is right at the edge of the roller (about 1 mm coming off). Is this normal? It does work better though. Maybe with the next roll it will work better. I just 'wasted' a bunch on tape practicing. Tilting it slightly to the left seemed to help to. As long as it doesn't come off completely like it was, I consider it useable. It just seems the design could have been better to center the tape with the center of the roller. Oh well.....I will definitely keep trying! Thank you AGAIN to everyone who responded!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

The ATG is designed to have the adhesive right at the edge of the roller because framers use it to lay adhesive around the inside edges of frames, so it has to be flush with the edge. I watch my neighbor do this all the time in his frameshop.

If you haven't watched the video, go the the link below and click on the picture of the yellow ATG. You'll get a window asking you to Save the file, then you can have it when you need to refer back to it. I have to watch it every time I change the tape roll!

http://framingsupplies.com/3M/3MATGTape.htm

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, that makes me feel better. It isn't just me then
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

First, make sure that your tape is loaded properly and your gun has not been damaged by dropping. The most vulnerable part of your dispenser is the nose roller at the front of your dispenser. It is very sturdy but it is still possible to either damage the nose roller by dropping the dispenser or in extreme cases it is possible to bend the metal piece the nose roller is attached to. If it is bent, the tape may roll off the edge of the roller as you try to apply adhesive in 2-3" or longer lengths.
Be sure that you are drawing back on the dispenser in a perfectly straight line. It may take some practice. I suggest to my new customers to practice the motion without any tape in the dispenser until it seems comfortable to you.
One other possibility is that your tape is past its shelf life or it has been stored improperly. This doesn't mean you stored it improperly, it could have been done before you got the tape. It is important that you buy your tape from reputable vendors that turn over their inventory quickly enough that you are always able to get fresh tape. When you get it, keep it from heat and store it in a preferably darkened location. Purchase only as much as you will reasonably use in 6 months or so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for all the advice!

1. I had it loaded properly, but I don't think I had it tight enough.
2. I think by the time I had loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded.......I had warped the roll of tape.

I finally gave up on that roll and put a new one in. NO problems!! Imagine that

Now I love it and don't feel like I wasted my money

Thank you again! Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Since it looks like your problem has been fixed, I have only one thing to say:

I think they smell like Tostitos!

(All dog's feet smell like Fritos. I know you don't believe me, go check... See, I told you so. No? Check the nose.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I had this problem and emailed framing supply and got this response:

I checked the release paper and tightened it. Unfortunately (well sorta) I also read on here about the tilting the gun at the same time, so I tried both fixes at the same time. Being very careful to hold it straight and tightning the release stuff.

And it works now (so that's great) but I don't know which was my problem. But I did have it clicked in right, so I know that's not it...

Anyhow I hope some combination of those tips can help. If not you could call that number I rekon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

All dog's feet do smell like Frito's, we are such dog freaks that the smell reminds me of home. To some it's home baked goods, to me it's doggie foot odor *sigh*.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frito Bandito indeed! That's what they smell like!

Okay, I am curious now about these ATG guns. My GF called me today from a crop she is at for the weekend. She just bought the 700 (yellow gun) & said I really need to get one. Now, I see the other gun online (714). How is a gal to choose? What do most of you like?

I am a life artist and love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
Frito Bandito indeed! That's what they smell like!

Okay, I am curious now about these ATG guns. My GF called me today from a crop she is at for the weekend. She just bought the 700 (yellow gun) & said I really need to get one. Now, I see the other gun online (714). How is a gal to choose? What do most of you like?
You may find this thread from yesterday helpful in deciding...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Also I had to toss one roll of tape b/c the adhesive had been put on the wrong side. How this is possible I don't know, once I switched rolls and the adhesive was on differently it worked like a charm again. The funny part is I contacted 3M to let them know of the issue, and they said they couldn't even send me a replacement because they didn't carry it.....how odd!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

So now the tape is messing up again :( The white plastic ring in the middle of the tape ring gets crimped and causes the roll of tape to have gaps. Then the tape comes off the roller again. Do you think it may be technique (it works well until this happens) or a bad batch of tape?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

It's a bad batch of tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I found that the new tape I put on my gun was coming off the edge too, I mean completely coming off. When I looked at the roll of tape I saw that about 1/2 -3/4 of the way into the roll the tape had seperated from the other tape, so the roll was no longer round, it was oblong..if that makes sense? You could see where it was not tightly wound on the new tape (that had yet to be used). I have nursed it along because I am too stingy to put on a new roll or to use up the roll to the point where it is messed up. I just have to take my time with it. I have not had a problem in my other gun with it coming off, so I know it is just the tape being defective. I have to check my other rolls of tape to make sure they are not defective, but haven't checked them yet..lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3View Post
I found that the new tape I put on my gun was coming off the edge too, I mean completely coming off. When I looked at the roll of tape I saw that about 1/2 -3/4 of the way into the roll the tape had seperated from the other tape, so the roll was no longer round, it was oblong..if that makes sense? You could see where it was not tightly wound on the new tape (that had yet to be used). I have nursed it along because I am too stingy to put on a new roll or to use up the roll to the point where it is messed up. I just have to take my time with it. I have not had a problem in my other gun with it coming off, so I know it is just the tape being defective. I have to check my other rolls of tape to make sure they are not defective, but haven't checked them yet..lol!
Thank you! This is exactly what is happening! I am on my 4th roll of tape and am trying to be 'gentle' with it. I may just have to order more tape. I ordered from framingsupplies.com when I got the dispenser. Any other recommendations on where to purchase refills?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a 700 with 1/2" tape and NEVER have any problems. I loved it so much, I bought a 714 with three - 1/4" rolls.
Im on my second roll and saw that about 1/2 -3/4 of the way into the roll the tape had seperated from the other tape, so the roll was no longer round, and it gets real tight and then breaks.
So, you think this is the tape? or the gun?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I wonder if your problems might be helped if you lubricated the shaft that the roll is inserted on? According to the 3M directions sheet, "the shafts are supposed to be periodically lubricated with White Petroleum Jelly."
If this isn't done, the roll with not unroll freely and might cause friction and the distortion of the roll that you describe.
Thanks, Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Ok gals here is the issue straight from 3m if you have a 714 and the middle of your tape (white thing) is crinkling, tape coming off the roller, tape breaking, it is a defect in the gun!!!!!! I contacted numerous sources and 3m, you should not have to tighten anything on the gun at all EVER!!!!!!!! Please contact me and I can help you out with a resolution to your problem!!!! Please label it ATG Issue. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

This happened to me with one roll as well. When I opened the gun, I realized the roll was not clipped tightly onto the shaft. I didn't have it down ontp the clamp quite far enough (if that makes any sense!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I left a message for the woman at 3M. She is obviously aware there is an issue because she mentions the ATG in her voice mail stating to leave your number and she will get back to you about it. I'll let you know when I hear something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default atg

I just talked to Barbara...and she couldnt be nicer!
Very pleasant woman to talk to.
She knows about the problem...and will be shipping out my new one as soon as they can. She is also replacing the tape Ive ruined.
Fantastic Customer Service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnsaView Post
She knows about the problem...and will be shipping out my new one as soon as they can. She is also replacing the tape Ive ruined.
Barbara is with 3M? Did you call 3M and get great service or is this who you bought your ATG from?
Design Team Member for Sweet n Sassy Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default atg

Yes, I spoke to Barbara at 3M
I just bought this atg from A-Pak...but it has nothing to do with who I bought it from...she said there was a defect in a recent batch that went out.
Very nice lady...I should have one soon.
I told her I have the atg700 and it works fantastic..and she said so will my new 714 when I get it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnsaView Post

Ditto! She was so nice and they will be sending a new ATG and replace the tape I ruined when they are sure all the bad ones are out of their stock. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Ok where doyu al get your adhesive and whats the best price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather30View Post
Also I had to toss one roll of tape b/c the adhesive had been put on the wrong side. How this is possible I don't know, once I switched rolls and the adhesive was on differently it worked like a charm again. The funny part is I contacted 3M to let them know of the issue, and they said they couldn't even send me a replacement because they didn't carry it.....how odd!

I bought a box and one of the rolls would never work. I finally gave up but I haven't tried to send it back. Very strange indeed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacey3272View Post
Ok where doyu al get your adhesive and whats the best price.
I just ordered my tape from the Tape Depot, there is another thread about the tape, from what others have said the tape from Tape Depot is suppose to be better then 3M and it alot less expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default tape

I get mine from Dickblicks, they are faaaaaaaaaaaast in shipping and cheap in price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

I had the same problem. I thought the sticky was on the wrong side. After 24 hours of frustration, I figured out how to fix it. Because this is like double sided tape, just get the sticky to stick to the opposite side of the paper. After re-threading the tape on the dispenser, it works like a charm!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK....I know this thread is a little old, but I do think I have one of these defective ATG guns! I'm so frustrated....a friend bought one as well and doesn't have the same problem, so we switched guns to see if it was the way that I was using it....NOPE, she had the same problems! ARGH
Going to try to 1-800 number to see if they can help, hoping that they can even though I live in Canada!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

i just wrote to 3m and i want to return 2 defectives one i bought from michaels i hope they reply its frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my ATG, I'm even left handed, and it always is at the end of the edge, but has never camoe off the edge. Once, you get used to using it, you will learn to love it

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2kaynkyView Post
Making it tighter did help, Thank you all!! It still isn't perfect in the sense that it is right at the edge of the roller (about 1 mm coming off). Is this normal? It does work better though. Maybe with the next roll it will work better. I just 'wasted' a bunch on tape practicing. Tilting it slightly to the left seemed to help to. As long as it doesn't come off completely like it was, I consider it useable. It just seems the design could have been better to center the tape with the center of the roller. Oh well.....I will definitely keep trying! Thank you AGAIN to everyone who responded!

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by queensuzanneView Post
OK....I know this thread is a little old, but I do think I have one of these defective ATG guns! I'm so frustrated....a friend bought one as well and doesn't have the same problem, so we switched guns to see if it was the way that I was using it....NOPE, she had the same problems! ARGH
Going to try to 1-800 number to see if they can help, hoping that they can even though I live in Canada!
Old message I know, but thought I'd update to say that 3M promptly replaced my ATG gun with no problem!

http://www.treasured-crafts.com/
Reply With Quote Likes