Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default Anna Griffin die troubles

So I jumped on the Anna Griffin band wagon from HSN last week and got my first set of dies. Now the problem begins.....I have both a Cuttlebug and a Big Kick. I followed the sandwich for the dies exactly for each machine. The problem? Her dies don't want to go through my machines smoothly. The Cuttlebug is so darn tight I'm afraid I'm going to break it. It did cut (though I whinced as I turned) but did not emboss. Then with the Big Kick the sandwich was so thick it would not go through at all so I switched from the Anna Griffin green emboss pad to the Cuttlebug tan emboss pad. It barely went through, so very very tight and also did not emboss. If I remove the emboss pad it doesn't cut at all in either machine. I tried switching plates around in the Cuttlebug (A + 2 B's or A + 1 B and 1 C) Not helpful. On Big Kick I tried removing shim 1 or shim 2 still problems. Has anyone else experienced this? I have these dies on Auto Ship and freaking out that I can't get them to work. Oh by the way the Big Kick actually curved the Anna die it was so tight.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

I had trouble with the one and only AG die I have. Bought a few years back. It would cut fine and not emboss completely. And you cannot get it out with out tearing it. I love the designs but I am hesitant to buy more.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is a video with Anna showing how to use her cut and emboss dies in the Cuttlebug:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I haven't had trouble with Anna's dies in my Big Shot, which is the same as your Big Kick. The card stock you're cutting shouldn't be too heavy or it will function like a shim. In my machine, Anna's green embossing mat is too thick, and I use a thin silicone embossing mat like this one I got from Sizzix a long time ago.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

How is it the die doesn't cut thru the silicone? I've yet to be brave enough to put the silicone mat on top of the die.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

Louisa May...Do you have to use an impressions pad? I have the sizzix silicone rubber pad but not the impressions pad. Do I need to buy one?

Buggainok Thanks for the video.
sprtchick and buggainok like this post.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got my order of her dies from HSN too! I have a lot of her dies I need to get busy and use. They are so pretty!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #8
Hardware Hotshot

Last year I bought a set of Anna Griffin cut & emboss dies from HSN, and I had to send them back. I tried everything with my Big Kick, and my mother tried everything with her Cuttlebug, but they just wouldn't cut on either machine. I emailed her for help, but all I received were the directions that she demonstrated on HSN (which didn't work).
Old 02-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #9
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Last year I bought a set of Anna Griffin cut & emboss dies from HSN, and I had to send them back. I tried everything with my Big Kick, and my mother tried everything with her Cuttlebug, but they just wouldn't cut on either machine. I emailed her for help, but all I received were the directions that she demonstrated on HSN (which didn't work).
Thats all I got to and her video doesnt help. I was beginning to think I was the only one with an issue. Wonder why they won't work? For $64 they should glide through!
Old 02-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBYSUE View Post
Louisa May...Do you have to use an impressions pad? I have the sizzix silicone rubber pad but not the impressions pad. Do I need to buy one?

Buggainok Thanks for the video.
Hobbysue,
I don't use the impressions pad. I only use the thin, silicone pad and the two regular plates on the platform. My plates are mucho warped so I often turn them around, and the bump on the plate can put extra pressure on the sandwich. But I don't have to do that; I'm just on a mission to flatten my plates. If the thin silicone pad doesn't work alone, you might try it with a paper shim.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

Not been impressed with her products that I have purchased on HSN, and I've tried several things. I could never get her dies to cut either on my Cuttlebug or big shot.
sprtchick and southgirl like this post.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:32 AM   #12
Mad Swapper

I have the Lace EFs and dies and they've gone through my Cuttlebug well. I did have one section of a flourish that didn't seem to be cutting well last weekend, but it's also true that my plates are pretty warped. So sorry that these aren't working for you--it must be so frustrating.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Proud Fan Club Member

No one has mentioned using the Sizzix metal base plate for intricate dies. I couldn't cut through SU cardstock with intricate dies until I got that.
I can't believer her video has a green pad in the sandwich with the first cut! I thought pads were only for embossing after the cut.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 AM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

Harvestmoon, I bought one of the Precision Base Plates, and I've used it once or twice. You're right. It does work for those intricate dies.
sprtchick and HOBBYSUE like this post.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #15
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
No one has mentioned using the Sizzix metal base plate for intricate dies. I couldn't cut through SU cardstock with intricate dies until I got that.
I can't believer her video has a green pad in the sandwich with the first cut! I thought pads were only for embossing after the cut.
I just finished watching a series of You Tube videos from this lady who showed how she got the dies to work. I haven't tried it yet but I will be trying today. You can see her video here: I also have a metal shim but haven't tried it. I agree I thought the green pad was for embossing. Thanks for helping!
sprtchick and Biko8666 like this post.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #16
Polyshrink Goddess

My AG die will cut (after using a metal shim type plate). Now the paper it is hard to remove from the die. It is very delicate.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #17
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgirl View Post
My AG die will cut (after using a metal shim type plate). Now the paper it is hard to remove from the die. It is very delicate.
Why must things be so difficult????? Wouldn't it be great if things work just like they show you they work?? Guess thats asking too too much! LOL
sprtchick and southgirl like this post.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
Proud Fan Club Member

Waxed paper between die and cardstock really helps die to come out.
sprtchick and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #19
Cardstock Collector

Smile Using Anna Griffin Dies in Cuttlebug and Sizzix BigShot

I recently purchased the Anna Griffin Cuttlebug on Anna's recent HSN show along with a set of her dies. I usually die cut with Spellbinder dies so using Anna's dies is new to me. When I got the machine I used it to try to cut a spellbinder's Nestabilities die and it didn't work well at all. It was a rectangle shape die and the ends warped and didn't cut, no matter how many times I passed it thru. I returned the machine and I'm considering getting a Sizzix BigShot machine instead. I know my Spellbinders dies will work in that machine, but what about Anna Griffin Dies? Can anyone tell me if they work in the BigShot machine? Has anyone else had issues with the Cuttlebug die cutting? Before I buy a BigShot I'd like to hear some recommendations. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #20
Rubber Obsessor

I use my Gemini Jr (Crafters Companion) and all dies from all companies cut perfectly. If I have a problem getting the cardstock out of the die, I put used dryer sheet papers against the die, then the cardstock... nothing sticks and the dryer sheet peels right off.
Country Twinkle likes this post.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #21
Cardstock Collector

I just got the Anna Griffin Empress die cutting machine from HSN. Her dies cut great in it. I also tried it with a Crafter’s companion die, Lawn Fawn, and MFT. All the dies cut great. Her dies also emboss really well in it. Did anyone else buy the new machine ?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #22
Die Cut Diva

I've not got any of Anna's dies, but was die cutting some snowflakes from various brands over the weekend. What I expected to take an hour or so- I was cutting a lot- ended up taking over a day, due to needing to shim/find the 'sweet spot' on the platform, poking out all the bits, recutting, making multiple passes- you get the idea.

I have some lovely ones by Sue Wilson, and they were the worst for cutting. Yet some cheaper ones I picked up from a local store cut easily. Go figure.

I do know all machines will have different pressure, even within the brand, so what works in one persons machine will not work in someone elses.
But I agree, it's frustrating to say the least.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #23
Hardware Hotshot

The first set of AG dies that I bought from HSN wouldn't cut at all, so I returned them. The second (different) set cuts fine. Some of her dies appear to be defective.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #24
Insane Embellisher

I have a large collection of Anna Griffin dies, and they all work well in my Big Shot. I have a Cuttlebug as back-up but haven't used it. I sometimes use the Precision Base Plate with these dies, but not always. I put the dies through the Big Shot two or three times and get perfect cuts.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #25
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapping One View Post
I just got the Anna Griffin Empress die cutting machine from HSN. Her dies cut great in it. I also tried it with a Crafter’s companion die, Lawn Fawn, and MFT. All the dies cut great. Her dies also emboss really well in it. Did anyone else buy the new machine ?

I just got my AG Empress and have been experiencing some difficulty in using my wafer thin dies. Did you discover the best sandwich for using those dies and does the paper weight make a difference?

I love how quiet it is and does quite well with embossing folders...even other 3D ones!

I was hoping to replace my Vagabond with this but so far it's not looking like this is possible. LOL

I live in Canada and sending it back is not an option!! So I just need to make it work.

I can use all the help I can get!!!

Joanne in Canada