Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice wanted: new printer

Last year I asked here for advice on a new printer, and ended up buying the recommended Epson Artisan 800. I HATE this printer! It sucks ink like I've never seen, I can't print a single page without running out, so I don't print anymore. It takes forever to warm up. It always wants its nozzles cleaned. So, I'm pitching it and starting over. What printer do you have that you like? I hope it will take SU cardstock, but that's not as important as it was last year.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an HP Photosmart 8450 that I wouldn't trade for anything. I bought it several years ago, so I'm sure this model isn't available now. The photos I print on it look professionally done. I also have an HP Laserjet to use when I don't need to print in color, that works really well for digital stamps because the ink doesn't bleed. And I own a separate HP scanner. I dislike the all-in-one printers (as you might guess) because in my experience they don't perform well at any of the jobs they're supposed to do. I owned an Epson in the past, but I too hated it. I have a friend who recently bought a Kodak printer and loves it because the ink is much cheaper. It really depends on what you're gonna use it for... My advice would be HP all the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought a Lexmark Intuition S500 series. It takes PTI and Gina K cardstock. Yeah. it is wireless ready, and prints much faster than the Canon Pixma I tried out. The ink is cheaper too. I have only had it for a week, so I don't have any experience with the ink and how long the cartridges last. I paid $119 at Micro Center.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I have a Canon Pixma 330 which we got at Best Buy, though Walmart carries similar models too. I LOVE this printer! The computer does not need to be on for it to run - I can copy and print or scan directly to a stick drive quickly. Also, the paper loads in the back so the bending it minimal if you are printing templates directly on to cardstock.

I highly recomment this printer and have been very satisfied with it so far (we have had it about 9 months or so)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have an HP Photosmart 4180. It is about three years old, and still going strong. I think they still have it on the market, despite upgraded versions. After you shop around, and find what you want, try tigerdirect.com for prices. They are the best company for computer stuff. Tons of customer reviews, good customer service, fast shipping, and 90% of the time, they have the best price. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I too have learned my lesson the hard way with Epson. I bought it on the advice of several people on another forum, telling me how cheap the ink is, well yep it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Lexmark I owned, but what they dont tell you is even if you are not printing in color you use color ink. It has four cartridges, magenta, cyan, yellow and black, and I kept running out of colored ink without even using it, so I called to see what the problem was. Listen to this.... in order to keep the printer heads wet it has to leave a little of ever color of ink out every so often, so sometimes it uses the "colored" ink to print black and white. I asked them if this was something I could turn off... nope.. no such option, and get this ALL their printers do this.
So good question as I am in the market for a new printer as I am throwing good money after bad at this point. I have heard the Kodak printers are the most economical on ink and would love to hear from someone with a Kodak. I mostly print black and white documents, but occasional print photos and other things. I want it with a scanner/copier. I look forward to seeing more response. (and darn this Epson Stylus NX400 is the LOUDEST printer I have ever had)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Another vote for HP!! I will never buy another brand again!! Love the quality of print, ink usage, I buy the XL carts & they last forever it seems I have had s
3, always sell or give away the old ones! I buy new fir new features!! Great customer service too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I've had 3 HP's and highly recommend them. I currently have the HP Photosmart Plus, scored and really, really good deal on Black Friday at Office Depot. Wireless, love that, love the individual ink carts too, I don't fell like I waste one color to replace a different one like I did with a single color cart.

My son has one, he likes it but had problems getting his older desktop to work on the wireless part.

We still have an HP all in one that we use for faxing and printing off our old desktop and it's probably 9-10 years old and still going strong.

We bought a Kodak a couple of years ago and I absolutely hated that thing. Poor print quality and they ink may be cheaper but it runs thru ink pretty quick and the ink carts are small ...... It went to the local charity store. I should have just bought another HP then but I was swayed by the cheap ink and price point on the Kodak.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too purchased the Artisan 800 and hate it as well!!! While I did not experience the use of ink as much as the original poster experienced, what I hate is that it won't take heavier cardstock. I can get 65# weight in it, but thats about it. I am so pissed because of this and I can't justify another printer. I do like the fact that it is a printer, copier, scanner and fax all in one.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my, I need to spell check. Oh, and grammar too lol

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Canon Pixma IP 4500 it's almost 2 years old and the quality is excellent. I printed a scrapbook for my daughter and it came out great. Check the Canon website and be sure to get ratings from people on various sites that sell printers that may help.

I only have to replace cartridges that go empty not all of them at once and the ink use is not awful. Good luck I hope you find what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, thanks Everyone, for your comments!! I can't wait to go shopping. I gave my daughter my old HP all-in-one and I loved it, but it wouldn't take SU cardstock. Maybe one of the newer ones will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I am pretty sure it will, mine is a Photosmart D5460 & I us heavy card in it. Even poster board. It does not have a scanner, but it will print on CD's.
Reply With Quote Likes