Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Inking Addict

Smile accucut help!

Help! I recently purchased a used accucut mark IV and it came with a video tape of instructions. I don't have a VCR and I want to use it with my big shot dies. I know how to use it with regular accucut dies but How do I work it with sizzix and cuttlebug dies? Do I need spacers or adaptors? Help! and thanks ahead of time, i'm so glad we have each other to learn from. Nana Janet
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

I don't think it's made to work with sizzix and cuttlebug dies. I would contact them and ask.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Inking Addict

Thank you for the quick response, the reason I bought this machine is, at a local scrapbook store I had some chipboard cut into shapes and they used all kind of dies but I can't remember how they did it. The store is the closest one that has a machine but it is real far for me. Can't call and ask cause I'm sure they don't want to help me since they charge for every cut even if u buy your supplies and chipboard there. Nana Janet
Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

I would contact accucut. I don't think the cuttlebug and sizzix dies are sturdy enough to go through that machine repeatedly. I think the machine would be fine if you figure out how to wedge them, but your dies wouldn't last very long.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
Inking Addict

I'll call first thing Monday morning, for now I'll use my cuttlebug and just cut one at a time. Thank you! Nana Janet
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Inking Addict

I am just thinking, someone must be familiar with the accucut and maybe a way to use my sizzix bigz and originals dies. I don't want to wait till monday, I have a group on tuesday and have to cut a lot. Thanks, Nana Janet
Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
SAH
Inking Addict

You can use the Sizzix original dies (not Sizzlits), you just need to find the right size "shim/platform". It needs to be 5/16" of an inch thick to make the Sizzix die the same thickness as the Accucut die. You can try one of the original Sizzix white platforms if you have that, or try stacking a couple of the Accucut 5" x 6" acrylic cutting mats and some thin plastic for a shim. If you have a Home Depot nearby, try getting a small piece of Pergo laminated flooring - it is just the right thickness.

Accucut also makes a tray adapter for the Mark IV specifically for Sizzix dies. It is about $20 or $25 and covers the entire tray. That is the best long-term solution.

As for the other thin dies, it is hit and miss. I was able to get mine to work using the Multi-Purpose Platform for the Bick Kick and a variety of different shims and/or crease pads. I have the GrandMark, so the thickness is a little different. (Mine uses cutting plastic for the Accucut dies and the Mark IV does not)

Really, just experiment, just don't force anything through that seems too tight.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Glitter Queen

You need the Grand Mark Adapter tray, 406503 $25.00.

I am not at all happy to have scarred my new purple mats trying to shim up from 5/16th of an inch, and had my Sizzix Pro die cut right into them. The 2009-2010 Accucut Catelog is exactly 5/16", but could not get a cut at all, maybe it was too flexible. I used a whole cereal box under the die and had to add more card stock shims to get a cut, but it cut the mat too. I don't think the dies are suppose to cut the purple mats.

The Accucut dress die that I ordered with my machine cut beautifully and did not scar the mat. So I will be ordering the Accucut Adapter.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
SAH
Inking Addict

If you have the Mark IV, make sure you get the adapter for that machine. The GrandMark adapter is bigger and won't fit in the Mark IV.

The purple mats do get cut marks on them with use. Accucut also sells the clear plastic cutting sheets. These are recommended for 80lb card stock and thicker. When I am using the adapter or a shim with other die brands, I try it with both to see which works best.

You need to use something solid as a base shim for cutting non Accucut/Ellison dies. - the extra clear plastic cutting mats, a sizzix platform etc. Books and cardboard will not work for the main shim.

Last edited by SAH; 09-02-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PauletteStillView Post
You need the Grand Mark Adapter tray, 406503 $25.00.

I am not at all happy to have scarred my new purple mats trying to shim up from 5/16th of an inch, and had my Sizzix Pro die cut right into them. The 2009-2010 Accucut Catelog is exactly 5/16", but could not get a cut at all, maybe it was too flexible. I used a whole cereal box under the die and had to add more card stock shims to get a cut, but it cut the mat too. I don't think the dies are suppose to cut the purple mats.

The Accucut dress die that I ordered with my machine cut beautifully and did not scar the mat. So I will be ordering the Accucut Adapter.
***CORRECTION: **Nanajl54** You Need the (((Mark IV Tray Adapter is #406500 $20.00))).....thanks SAH.

I experiment all the time with my Sizzix Express and ocassionally have a boo boo. My son got me the GrandMark for my birthday, and I chose it so I could cut the long quilting dies later and not have to upgrade to a bigger machine. There is no place in the FAQ that I could find, that says you need the adapter to cut other brands thick dies or I would have ordered in the first place, just as I'm sure Nanajl54 would have too. I do have a small Accucut die that I acquired off of Ebay of a football and helmet, it's the same thickness of an Original Sizzix die. But I also realize that the Accucut systems were designed for School usage and will cut many more layers of CS/paper than our domestic machines.

In the long haul, the Accucut machines are more money, compared to the Sizzix Pro, and I looked at the Accuquilt too, but I wanted the ability to cut boxes and envelopes that were one piece/one unit with a side seam. In the end the replacement trays and pads seemed more economical at Accucut, while the Sizzix Pro dies are more affordable and always on sale somewhere(Sizzix/JoAnn's/OhMyCrafts). I just want the best of all worlds!