Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yet another paper question

I'm sure you've all been asked this a gazillion times...but...I'm thinking of making a big batch of Christmas cards this year.

Is there a brand/company you could recommend who sells sets of cards AND envelopes that are good for stamping?

I know I could buy, say, Neenah paper, and cut it into size, but then I'd have to go in search of envelopes and I was kinda hoping to get it all in one fell swoop.

Thank you!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Staedtler (sp?) has sets of cards and envies available through Dick Blick, but if memory serves, they're a tad pricey. The quality is lovely though.

The Paper Cut, an Appleton, WI store, is a possibility. You'll need to order the cards and envies separately, but it's still a one stop shop and you get a variety of sizes and colors to choose from.

The Paper Cut: Scored Cards

Ask for a sample of whatever you're thinking of, to see if it's really what you're looking for, but I've been pleased with things I've purchased from them in the past.

have fun with your project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you!

That looks like a great site. I am not sure which paper I want, being such a newbie to stamping. Good to know they have samples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Paper Cut too. I have purchased scored cards and envelopes from them several times. Gina k has cardstock and matching envelopes but I don't think that it is cut and scored. Her cardstock is great though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Marco Paper also sells prefolded cards:

https://www.marcopaper.com/categorie...uncement-Cards
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2017, 04:37 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

One way is take a ream of neenah to a kinkos and have them cut it in half for you. Just decide which orientation you want-side fold or top fold. Then you just score to fold. Some of the big bloggers do this. Also insures a clean even cut. It's on my to do list to find one near me. I have found the best prices for it on Amazon.

Imho...what you want depends on what you want to do.

If you want to do single layer-ie stamp and color, I would go with heavier paper.
If you want to do layers...I might go less weight so the front isnt so "top heavy". But I would not go lower than 80lb for a card base personally.

Paper Wishes sells fancy cuts if you want to be ambitious...they are light weight bc they expect you to layer on them. (They may be less than 80lb)

https://www.paperwishes.com/scripts/...=die+cut+cards

I am not a big fan of the pre-packs in Michaels etc. Also last I tried, A2 wasnt exactly the right size? Or there was a funky mid size A6? Which is ok since they give you the envelope but not if you have a plan to bg cover stamp and dont have a 6 x 6.

If one was watercoloring....there are pre-packs of paper at the art stores. That is something I might think about if you want the nice deckle edge. I think it is Strathmore? Little expensive though unless you have coupons.

Hope that is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964View Post
Thank you!

That looks like a great site. I am not sure which paper I want, being such a newbie to stamping. Good to know they have samples.
If you're a newbie (and maybe you've already figured this out, but just in case ... ) work up your idea and make it before you order anything. Can't tell you how many marvelous cards are in my head and utterly refuse to be marvelous IRL! Grrrrrrrrr !!!! lol! Have you done cards in batches before? There are some handy tips for that, too.

Welcome to adventuring with this mad hobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, all!

To answer a couple of questions: This would be a folded card, stamped on the front, with a greeting inside. No layers, nothing fancy.

In my younger days, I did batch cards before. Took me ages to do them. Stamped them all by hand. One particularly challenging bunch involved some sort of Japanese fibrous paper that I glued to blue card stock with rubber cement (ew!), then stamped snowflakes on the white background, then stamped a greeting inside. The rubber cement bled through the Japanese paper.

Then there were the cards where I hand-carved snowflake stencils, and tried to spray flocking through the stencils. Ended up stenciling blue paint through them instead.

I've also hand-drawn designs and had them Xeroxed.

I'm thinking of buying Tim Holtz's stamping platform to help with the project. Though, since I'm not much of a stamper or card maker, I wonder how much I would use it.

No deckled edges or anything too fancy.

Marco's is a great site--thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

The TH stamping platform would sure make your project a lot more fun. I have a MISTI and love it and I think the improvements on the TH one make it even better, but if you're not sure you'll use it much after this, there are DIY options to consider. A friend uses a stamp press in a large-ish shoe box with a (forgetting the name of it ... tacky mat that goes into a Scan n Cut type machine) at the bottom of the box that holds her card in place and she can mark exactly where she sets it so she can put in a new card and have the stamp hit the same spot on the new card. The corner of the box guides her stamp press, like a big Stamp MaJig, so she can restamp if she needs on the same card. (I hope this makes some sort of sense. If you want, I think I can find a YouTube video with something similar)
Reply With Quote Likes