Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampscapes stamps

Hello,

I just received my first set of Stampscapes stamps and I am excited to use them.

I have a couple questions.

1. What inks do you use? I have watched some of the videos but I think most of the inks used are discontinued. Black ink? Colored ink?

2. Can you use Copics?

3. What paper do you use?

4 I would love to see some of your cards.

TIA - Kate
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default You might want to ask Kevin Nakagawa (Stampscapes owner/creator)

You could ask Kevin or his staff your questions.
Click on the 'Contact Us' link on the left side of the Stampscapes home page and an 'email' link will pop up that you can use to email them.

Here's the link to the Stampscapes home page:
Stampscapes Home
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 05:08 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
You could ask Kevin or his staff your questions.
Click on the 'Contact Us' link on the left side of the Stampscapes home page and an 'email' link will pop up that you can use to email them.

Here's the link to the Stampscapes home page:
Stampscapes Home
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I too would recommend asking Kevin any questions- he's a lovely guy who will always take time to help.
Second, I'd also recommend you to watch some of the more recent of his Stampscaping 101 videos on his Stampscapes channel. You will get so much info from them. Having been off work sick for the last 12 months, in the evenings I've been watching them one by one. He starts to bring in different inks, as the others are being discontinued.
Thirdly, inks:
Especially in the early videos, Kevin was using Adirondacks and Marvy. Both have been discontinued, although Marvy is still making re-inkers, and Adirondacks are still available from some places.
Distress Inks, and Memento, are both very good substitutions, for colour, Memento also for stamping the images, or Archival. Versafine is also a good image stamping ink, but heat set it, or make sure to leave it to dry before adding colour.
I have a page of my stampscapes stuff on my blog, HERE.
Also, there are loads of Gallery images on the Stampscapes website, so loads of inspiration there, and many, many pages on Pinterest.
HTh.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 04-23-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,

Thanks for the post and the link to you blog. Your cards are wonderful. I have watched some of the oldest Stampscape video's, but like you mentioned the inks are discontinued. I will watch some of the newer ones. Thanks for the suggestion. I have Momento and distress ink, so that should be good. I can't wait to play with them more. I just wanted to say to you I am sorry for what you are going through. My 40 yr old Husband died from an aggressive brain tumor a couple years ago. Cancer is awful and I am glad you are doing well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kate, I would love to hear how you like the Stampscapes stamps and whether or not you find them difficult to use to build a scene.

I am very interested in getting myself a few Stampscapes but every time I sit down to try figure out what I want, I ended up with a $100 wish list -- so I end up not ordering anything.

As for coloring, if you plan to color with Copics, then use a Copic-friendly ink (dye based such as Memento). If you were thinking of using Copics directly on the stamp, I wouldn't. Copics are alcohol based markers and we've long been told that alcohol is not good for the rubber.

Shaz, your Stampscape scenes are beautiful!
I hope your recovery is coming along well and that you are feeling better these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Ladies, thank you both for your comments on my cards, and your thoughts for my health. Kate2kate, I am so sorry for your loss,just a couple of years must still be so raw.
Yes, I am doing well, my first 6 monthly scan came back clear, so thats all good. Just working on getting my stamina back, and waiting for all the odd things to go back to normal- nerve damage gives me pins and needles and numb patches in my leg, and have no bladder sensation, so have a catheter at the moment. I consider myself to be very lucky, mine was found and was in a position to be dealt with, even though it turned out to be major, major surgery. Off on holiday on Tuesday, Hubby booked us a 7 night cruise from the Canaries to Portugal, Gibraltar & Spain, to give us the break we really need, without me having to feel like I need to be walking everywhere, or that I'm restricting what we can do if I'm tired.
Melissa, you can build scenes using only one or two stamps- I love Lakeside Cove for this, especially as you can join two images side by side and get a longer scene. Then maybe add in one of the mountain range of stamps, and now you have another option. Also a good buy are the Nature Sheets that Kevin does. All these stamps are picked to work well together to create multiple scenes, and cost under $20.
One of the things I love about them is that they make excellent male cards, especially if the men in your life are not into fishing/golf/sports/beer!
Regarding the Marvy inks Kevin uses, he still has many on his site, and the re-inkers will be available for a long time yet apparently, so much so that Marvy has released a 'blank' pad so you can make your own.
To give you an idea of Kevins customer service, as I;m in the UK and wanted to get some pads & reinkers off him, as the brand really isn't available anywhere over here that I could find, I emailed and asked if he had any rough idea how many pads/reinkers I could fit into his regular shipping box.When he emailed me back, he had sat down with a box, some inkers & pads, and worked out exactly how many would fit a box, along with some various permutations. I call that going above and beyond!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 03:39 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I agree that lakeside cove (048E) is a good stamp to start with. Yesterday I added Lakeside reflections (050E) to my collection. I have a little man in a boat that I use. I'm just amazed at how much I feel like an artist when I stamp with these because you can almost never fail. I'm just having trouble figuring out how to color them because so far I've done them in black. I own ten stampscape stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Muscrat, have you tried simply sponging inks on? I find that works really well. I usually stamp in black too. Sometimes I've sponged some ink onto the card, then stamped, other times I've stamped first, then sponged afterwards. I finally bought some of the Colorbox stylus tools for myself, but I've used ordinary sponges before, and also the big brushes for adding ink- the ones like shaving brushes? Actually, keep an eye out in your dollar stores for shaving brushes- I found a pack of 6 in one of our pound stores, and the make a great inking brush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

This is just a quick post until I have some more time. Melissa59.
On his website he has some kits that are $26 each. The stamps work together. I bought kits 6 & 9 and now I am addicted. I have only played with the stamps so far but I was able to put together a scene quickly. I used Momento ink and I tried MFT ink and Distress inks and they worked great. I also used topic markers. Just to note I had glossy photo paper. It was good to practice stamping with the stamps but the ink does not glide on the photo paper. I also got some glossy card stock and it spread nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Good point there Kate2Kate- I too tried glossy photo paper, thinking it would work, but it doesn't. It needs to be glossy cardstock, but not photo paper. Different type of coating apparently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Thanks shaz and Kate! I was using glossy photo paper because I had a ton of it but I knew it wouldn't allow the ink to be pushed around so I should have tried it on another paper. I'll do that and try my distress inks.
Reply With Quote Likes