Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brustix vs fantastix

I have a question for you all.
I am wanting to get some tools like a sponge dauber type of thing except I saw a video where stacey used brustix rather than one of those sponge dauber things you stick on your finger she was colouring using memento ink pads and I would love to try this!
the only thing i currently have is the blending foam tool the tim holtz one which is not the right tool.
and because of my lower dexterity i am thinking that having the sponge bit on the end of effectively a pencil type arrangement is probably going to be a LOT easier but i have some questions

when i went looking for them there are brushstix and fantastix i cant figure out the difference? Does anyone know what the difference between them is?

also they come in different sizes and I am not sure if its worth buying different sizes or not?

also do you need one (or sponge dauber for that matter) per colour or just one for all reds one for all blues etc?

Just trying to figure out how many i might need?

I have constructed a list of what i would like to get with the grant I received i wrote a post about that awhile ago and I am at the point of almost being finished it. i am still comparing where the cheapest place to get things is and trying to buy from as few a places as possible but often i have had to just go with the cheapest. I have to cut down the list as it is waaaaay too long but i think i will have a good selection of dies stamps tools embossing folders and fun stuff as well as basic cardstock and coredinations paper which i cannot wait to try.

thanks for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 05:03 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I had the Fantastix, and I threw them away after using 2 of them. The tips became crushed and useless after only a few minutes. Maybe I'm too hard on them, but I've found that they don't hold up well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I often use things that weren't intended for crafts as crafty items. A couple of examples that come readily to mind:
  • Swisspers cosmetic applicators for the Gamsol Magic technique instead of paper stumps
  • Eye shadow instead of chalk (some of them you can even use with water to use like the shimmery watercolors that you pay an arm and a leg for)
  • Makeup sponges or even household sponges (if the texture is right) instead of craft sponges - you can even make your own daubers with them and PVC pipe (check out YouTube for tutorials)
I know there are more examples in my craft room, but I'm only on my first cup of coffee and not totally awake, so I'm not able to brain quite yet...

I would think that the little spongy makeup applicators might be a suitable stand in if you can find them small enough. I would be VERY frustrated if I paid for the Fantastix and had to toss them after only one or two uses...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

What i have noticed is that the fantastix are a lot cheaper than the brushstix i have rewatched the videos and she was definitely using brushstix not fantastix but that still doesn't explain what the difference between the two of them is I'm guessing that it could be a different
If anyone has any idea what the difference is please let me know thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I have used both stumps ( purchased in an artist supply store) as well as Fantatix. Two different materials.

I like them both but tend to use the stumps as I have a bigger variety of sizes, and the tiny ones come in handy.

I would say the stumps would last longer and are easily cleaned by rubbing some sand paper on them to keep their shape, and cleaning with oms. The fantastix material will deteriorate quicker because it is softer. You only need a light hand with them, as I could see using a heavy pressing continually would hasten their demise.

Some good alternate tips here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

The brushstix is foam while the fantastic is not (not exactly sure what it is made of). I would check out these 2 videos and you can see the difference.

https://www.imaginecrafts.com/learn-fantastix
https://www.imaginecrafts.com/learn-brushstix
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
What i have noticed is that the fantastix are a lot cheaper than the brushstix i have rewatched the videos and she was definitely using brushstix not fantastix but that still doesn't explain what the difference between the two of them is I'm guessing that it could be a different
If anyone has any idea what the difference is please let me know thanks
It looks like the Brushstix are made of a denser foam, and designed more for acrylic paints and other mixed-media mediums and techniques.

The Fantastix nibs (bullet and brush) are more like the nibs on watercolor markers. I have them, and I think they are excellent for getting into tiny spaces and coloring and adding all types of ink to stamped images. You get multiples in each package so you don't have to worry about cleaning them (though you can) and just use one for each color family. I think they are so useful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
The brushstix is foam while the fantastic is not (not exactly sure what it is made of). I would check out these 2 videos and you can see the difference.

https://www.imaginecrafts.com/learn-fantastix
https://www.imaginecrafts.com/learn-brushstix

I actually watched these videos and still had absolutely no idea what the difference was other than the cost i did notice that fantastix said chalk ink which i have never used and im not sure i will but it also said for all purpose ink which i kinda thought might be a dye based ink but thats only a guess
The brushstix they said it could be used for any inks including solvent ink so i assumed it could be stronger because if it can handle an alcohol ink perhaps its stronger?
So for me their information didn't really help much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I have used both stumps ( purchased in an artist supply store) as well as Fantatix. Two different materials.

I like them both but tend to use the stumps as I have a bigger variety of sizes, and the tiny ones come in handy.

I would say the stumps would last longer and are easily cleaned by rubbing some sand paper on them to keep their shape, and cleaning with oms. The fantastix material will deteriorate quicker because it is softer. You only need a light hand with them, as I could see using a heavy pressing continually would hasten their demise.

Some good alternate tips here.

What are stumps? I have never heard of them?

One reason i liked the idea of fantastix/brushstix was cos it has a handle so its like holding a pen i have low dexterity but can manage thick markers or pens often with foam around the pen the thicker the better so i am thinking that make up sponges mighr be a lot harder to hold onto i dont use make up totally allergic and have no idea where to purchase from and things that are online are the best bet im guessing if i knew more about the products from using them for make up it would be easier but for now i really just want to try out the brushstix and see if they work

The main reason i asked was i couldn't work out why brushstix were twice the price and also twice as hard to find. Being in Australia craft products are either twice as expensive as from US and often really really hard to find!!

Thanks for all the ideas too

The other issue is im bedridden so i cant just go to the cheap shop or dollar store and browse cos if i was able to thats probably where id try to get the make up sponges from its too hatd to send someone on my behalf when i myself dont know what im looking for lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
It looks like the Brushstix are made of a denser foam, and designed more for acrylic paints and other mixed-media mediums and techniques.

The Fantastix nibs (bullet and brush) are more like the nibs on watercolor markers. I have them, and I think they are excellent for getting into tiny spaces and coloring and adding all types of ink to stamped images. You get multiples in each package so you don't have to worry about cleaning them (though you can) and just use one for each color family. I think they are so useful!
Could you still use the brushstix to colour with inks? Thats what Stacey from SMS was doing in the video she never mentioned fantastix i think she was sent them as a trial and one video she made everyone use a cotton bud or cue tip to colour in the picture and she said no more cue tips forus
She also uses baby wipes to add in colour aswell those are very easy to obtain and i use them for everything! So thats easy but i wanted to have both cos one was more for random coloured backgrounds the other was for colouring in a stamp using memento or other branded dye ink thats what i would love to try since i would use those ink pads for stamping anyway it has a double use and they do have the pens but for now i cant afford i would rather get them later down the track
Its just hard to work out what techniques i will use the most but i figure a dozen dew drop ink pads i would use that!
With one stick for each colour family is that like one for red blue yellow green brown purple and grey/black? Was also trying to finf out what amount i needed
Do you find the brush or the bullet tip is more useful? I am assuming the brush tip would be better. Stacey didn't wash hers either she had one for each colour family too though in the video she only had a trial one of each type bullet brush and chisel
I use my zig brushables all the time which are water based markers and I wouldn't be without them they have lasted a long time too i have about 1 colour from each colour set that is low or empty the rest are great

Thanks for youe help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Could you still use the brushstix to colour with inks?
Its just hard to work out what techniques i will use the most but i figure a dozen dew drop ink pads i would use that...Do you find the brush or the bullet tip is more useful? I am assuming the brush tip would be better.
Yes – for sure the brush tip! You can dip it into ink and then brush it on parts of a clear or rubber stamp and stamp down in multiple colors, or use it to color a stamped image.

If you will be stamping and mostly making cards, I do think the Fantastix might be the most useful sized tool. I would get the pack of six, but if you're not lazy like me, you can get one and just wash it in between colors :-)

PS I have weak hands and keep in mind it's a short narrow barrel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok so fantastix definitely do that too interesting they are a lot cheaper and i didnt realize they were smaller and better for cards generally that is what i would be doing i didnt know you could use it to colour a stamp and then stamp the image ive only seen it where you colour in the stamped image so thanks for the tip

I am bedridden and most often i do craft by myself so i cant get up to wash in between im not sure if i saw a pack of 6 or 12 there may havr been both so i think i like the option of not washing in between unless a baby wipe works cos thats all i have available thats how i clean my stamps

Thanks for your help the only mixed media stuff i would love to try is the fran-tage encrusted jewels techniques by stampendous i already do heat embossing i just have to choose the colours i would like i did actually find some colours on ebay i thought they might make it look like sand i am planning to get a lot of beach/nautical type dies especially the pop it ups dies by Elizabeth craft design Karen burnisten i absolutely love everything she makes the characters are super cute and I've always loved pop up cards it will just add something different to my collection of cards im selling
I am now at the point of having written and cut down a super long list and i am at the end of pricing things and working out where is cheaper as mostly there is no postage for the places i have been too
I promise once i get my goodies and ive made stuff i will show you what i have made
I will have multiple medium to colour with some new stamps lots of dies and embossing folders plus i cannot wait to try coredinations paper and im getting multiple paper pads so i think my supplies will be right for some time
My list is kinda beginning to annoy me as i just want to go shopping! !! But so i donr just buy on impulse i know i will get more bang for my buck by being more careful about what products ive chosen!!! And especially where from!

Thanks foe your help will let you know how i go maybe there are even more videos on YouTube which shows the using ink pads to colour techniques and i love learning new things

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I am bedridden and most often i do craft by myself so i cant get up to wash in between im not sure if i saw a pack of 6 or 12 there may havr been both so i think i like the option of not washing in between unless a baby wipe works cos thats all i have available thats how i clean my stamps
That works fine! The tip will stain but you can get the color off the surface quite easily with the baby wipe.

Quote:

Thanks for your help the only mixed media stuff i would love to try is the fran-tage encrusted jewels techniques by stampendous i already do heat embossing i just have to choose the colours i would like i did actually find some colours on ebay i thought they might make it look like sand i am planning to get a lot of beach/nautical type dies especially the pop it ups dies by Elizabeth craft design Karen burnisten i absolutely love everything she makes the characters are super cute and I've always loved pop up cards it will just add something different to my collection of cards im selling
I am now at the point of having written and cut down a super long
I have the Fran-tage chunky silver embossing powder and make my own "metal" embellishments by repeatedly embossing die cut shapes. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it! If you'd like the beach look, you might want to consider texture paste with sand already in it (I know! So cool) and chalk inks in beachy colors like wheat, sand and green-blues ( Google VersaMagic and take a look at their colors).

I do all my shopping online now! I actually find it more exciting than going into a store.

Quote:

Thanks foe your help will let you know how i go maybe there are even more videos on YouTube which shows the using ink pads to colour techniques and i love learning new things
Check out Sandy Allnock's videos – she's amazing with coloring with lots of different mediums including watercolor, colored pencils and Copic markers. Lots of the top YouTube crafters have videos on coloring and watercoloring with ink pads, so search around, and check out this Kelly Latevola vid -- she's one of the best!

Last edited by poppydarling; 07-09-2016 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for all your help! I will definitely give it all a try
I have so far stayed away from chalk inks but maybe that was the wrong thing to do unsure of how much time there is between inking thr stamp and stamping it? The videos ive watched have said chalk dries super fast and i take awhile to get everything positioned to stamp would hate it to dry before i had a chance to stamp it therea a poat somewhere of my stamping press my husband made me it is awesome but it does take me a little time thats all so pigment ink is no problem and memento was ok too but chalk driea faster than that so we shall have to have a look at the colours and see

I love versafine pigment ink thats the one ive had the most luck with i tend to heat emboss with coloured ink anf use clear embossing powder rather than use versamark i have had zero luck with versamark however i havent tried it since i got the stamping press so will have to havr another go!
I do think the frantage looks amazing and yoj can even use it on wood i was hoping that you could decorate a photo frame with it could you imagine how nice a present that would be? Im assuming it would work but have only watched a couple of videos on it will check out the ones that you havr suggested later too
I did have one idea which hopefully will take off similar to someone else on this forum i thought about creating videos of me crafting and putting them on you tube so that other people with disabilities might be insipired too! I sell cards for charity and thought it would be great to put up links to the videos on my page where i sell the cards on Facebook but we will see
Thanks so much for all your tips i will definitely try the fantastix and its great that a baby wipe will work doesn't matter if it stains as long as it doesnt mess up the next project no one will know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thank you so much for all your help! I will definitely give it all a try
I have so far stayed away from chalk inks but maybe that was the wrong thing to do unsure of how much time there is between inking thr stamp and stamping it? The videos ive watched have said chalk dries super fast
In my experience they don't dry as fast as dye ink but they dry faster than pigment ink. You definitely have time to add embossing powder and emboss.

Quote:

i have had zero luck with versamark however i havent tried it since i got the stamping press so will have to havr another go!
Just make sure your VersaMark pad is juicy enough -- I had problems because my pad was old so I bought a re-inker and now it works great.

Quote:

I did have one idea which hopefully will take off similar to someone else on this forum i thought about creating videos of me crafting and putting them on you tube so that other people with disabilities might be insipired too!
Excellent idea! Check out SCS member Sandy Parker on YouTube � her channel is called Crafting for Nearly Everyone and she crafts with a disability. Her videos are great! Can't have enough people showing us that you can craft no matter what!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I had no idea you could heat emboss with chalk ink interesting! I definitely take longer than the average person to do it but have figured out by trial and error that once you get the embossing powder on the stamped image it is all good its just the time between stamping and getting the powder on thats the trick

I have emailed sandy parker and subscribe to her channel it was her channel and comments that there isnt much on YouTube from people who have disabilities that made me think maybe i can do this too! I haven't got the best video editing skills but as long as people can hear me and see what im creating thats the most important thing!
I have also found it difficult to find any videos whatsoever for the new cut n boss machine formally the ebosser i am only able to use an electronic machine and after lots of negative comments on various forums for the tim holtz electric one similar to the bigshot only electric and wanting the larger width i think its 8 or 8.5 inches wide so it takes both Australian a4 paper which is about 8 x 12 inches and also the US letter 8.5 x 11 inch paper im pretty sure cos i havr some thinner American crafts paper in every colour which is perfect for die cutting but not as good for embossing i get confused by paper weights and have often googled the difference between gsm and other ways of measuring it i think gsm grams per square metre is metric and its what we use in Australia but theres cover weight text weight all different ones and also say 65 or 80 pound paper too its quite confusing!
Because q lot of products are made in US they are all the US sizes or in inches but when you have like an a2 standard US card size die and Australian a4 cardstock it doesnt get a tad confusing especially when you're new at it! It took me ages and asking a friend what a2 was to figure it out our standard card size is a6 which is 1/4 of a4 paper in the same way a2 is 1/4 of your standard paper the 5 x 7 inch card size is also a standard size here so that's a little easier so we will see what happens with everything

And if i do create some videos i will certainly let you all know what the channel is called!
Reply With Quote Likes